**Helpful Tips on Eye Care **

This forum combines the former Food & Drink and Health & Fitness forums. Post your ideas here!

Moderator: EC

**Elena**
Rising Star
Rising Star

**Helpful Tips on Eye Care **

Post by **Elena** »

With so many of us spending lots of time in front of the computer every day it comes to no surprise that research is showing a rise in visual problems. What can one do? First, it’s important to find out how you can protect your eyes through eye health exams and by making a few minor changes in your computer viewing habits.

Here are some helpful Eye Care Tips - Positioning is everything

Correct positioning of your computer, keyboard and typing copy is essential. Your screen should be positioned about an arm’s length from your eyes and 20 degrees below eye level. Consider foot and wrist rests for added comfort.
Lighting can make all the difference
Room lighting should be diffuse, not direct, to reduce glare and reflections from your screen. Look into an internal or external glare screen and be sure to set your colour, contrast and brightness levels to suit you.

A little extra help for your glasses
Anti-reflective coatings on the lenses of your glasses can be applied by your optometrist to reduce discomfort and to ease reduced vision from bright and/or flickering light sources such as VDTs and fluorescent lights. And don’t forget, your doctor of optometry can talk to you about eyeglasses designed specifically for people who use computers a lot.
Take time out, our 20-20-20 rule

Step I :-
After every 20 minutes of looking into the computer screen, turn your
head and try to look at any object placed at least 20 feet away. This
changes the focal length of your eyes, a must-do for the tired eyes.

Step II :-
Try and blink your eyes for 20 times in succession, to moisten them.

Step III :-
Time permitting of course, one should walk 20 paces after every 20 minutes of sitting in one particular posture. Helps blood circulation for the entire body.

It’s all in the blinking
Did you know that on average we blink 12 times per minute? But wait, did you know that when we’re on the computer we only blink 5 times per minute? That can add up to dry eyes. Relieve the discomfort by using artificial tear drops or gels and remember to blink!

Palming
Sit straight at your workstation and rub your palms against each other till you feel them warm. The warmth of your palms helps soothe and relax tired eyes. Then, lightly cup your eyes with your palms and relax for 60 seconds. Count the seconds in your mind. Repeat this exercise two to three times whenever your eyes feel tired, or as often as you want. While palming, you can either rest your elbows on your desk or keep away from the desk and cup your eyes. Both ways are fine.

Splash water on your face
During breaks, splash water on your face while closing your eyes. This has an overall relaxing effect and helps you feel refreshed.

Use tea bags
Keep two used tea bags in the refrigerator before you leave for work. Once you are home, place the tea bags on your eyes for a few minutes as you relax. This not only soothes tired eyes, but also reduces puffiness.

Eat healthy
Incorporate Vitamins A, C, and E on a daily basis; eat citrus fruits, green leafy veggies, tomatoes, spinach, poultry and dairy products. Pack a box of chopped carrots, cucumber and fresh fruits and munch in-between meals at the office.
milococosiro

Re: **Helpful Tips on Eye Care **

Post by milococosiro »

**Elena** wrote:
Eat healthy
Incorporate Vitamins A, C, and E on a daily basis; eat citrus fruits, green leafy veggies, tomatoes, spinach, poultry and dairy products. Pack a box of chopped carrots, cucumber and fresh fruits and munch in-between meals at the office.
And tomatoes which are cooked are better to absorb than the raw.
Hardi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Hardi »

I just few days ago finished my desk for computer. I did not find any desk I could like from store. So I was build one by my self. I don't like those computer desks they sell in store, they looks monstrous. and I don't believe those could be comfortable. Well it seems, my hand's and back, doesn't hurt so much any more for working computer long... before it was too bad.

Now I must find also right position for monitor. I think maybe I mount it to wall, but I need to find out the right height first.. must experiment. I have heard that best is when display top edge is on same horizon as eyes.
Vega
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Vega »

Hardi wrote:I just few days ago finished my desk for computer. I did not find any desk I could like from store. So I was build one by my self. I don't like those computer desks they sell in store, they looks monstrous. and I don't believe those could be comfortable. Well it seems, my hand's and back, doesn't hurt so much any more for working computer long... before it was too bad.

Now I must find also right position for monitor. I think maybe I mount it to wall, but I need to find out the right height first.. must experiment. I have heard that best is when display top edge is on same horizon as eyes.
If you've got an LCD monitor, then place at the right angle. If CRT monitor, it doesn't matter from witch angle you look at your monitor screen.

I think desks which are on sale in stores are quite comfortable, because they has extended thing (dunno how to say it right) for the keyboard, also there's a place for speakers and for your discs...Does your handmade desk has all these stuff ? :)
Hardi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Hardi »

Xkalibur wrote:If you've got an LCD monitor, then place at the right angle. If CRT monitor, it doesn't matter from witch angle you look at your monitor screen.

I think desks which are on sale in stores are quite comfortable, because they has extended thing (dunno how to say it right) for the keyboard, also there's a place for speakers and for your discs...Does your handmade desk has all these stuff ? :)
My LCD seems not to have notable problems with correct angle.. only when it's placed to high or look from to low then it's a bit too dark. Actually I would like to have a wall mounting arm, that allows to adjust it well, but they're expensive.

Of course my desk don't have all those things. First I thought to include a keyboard drawer or rack or how it's called, but then my money did dry out. And it would require also better tools to do it well. Tools are really too expensive.

Actually because those desks in sale have all these stupid racks, I don't like them. The keyboard rack or drawer is usually too short and weak, there's only enough room for keyboard or somehow u can fit also mouse, but no mouse pad. So I made instead whole desk a bit lower so it would be comfortable for typing.

Well yeah since I had shortage of money my desk have now only 2 legs, both in one end other end is hold up by chest. I think I got it 2 times cheaper by build it by my self.. And had fun to do it also.. Though it have 3 times few things. :lol: but it's at least made of pine wood slab not chipboard or whatever those are in sale. That's why it's a bit expensive I think. Legs were also so expensive too.. for that piece of metal. I think they were made in china since they had a bit boor quality, but exported here via Finland, that's why expensive. I found it's too troublesome, to do them by my self with no proper tools and mount steady so I bought premade ones.. they look nice.

well I think it whole did cost 50$ something to me. yeah seems a bit too much. Since I think Lennye bought own desk with all those rack by 60$ something, but that was made of chipboard.. And those are USA prices. here's everything more expensive. and her desk doesn't look nice at all. :twisted:
Bambang
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Thanks for the tips.

Post by Bambang »

Thanks for the tips, dear Elena.
winstonterr

Post by winstonterr »

Hi,
I have really bad dark circles under my eyes. I moisturize every night, I use a cool gel mask at the end of the day, I get 6-8 hours of sleep, but I still get these awful bags under my eyes! I'm only 19 years old and can't figure it out! Anyone have any products that will help? Cream? Under Eye roller?
Hyacinth

Post by Hyacinth »

those tips are pretty helpful

thank you very much