I only have one day a week to workout. What should I do?

This forum combines the former Food & Drink and Health & Fitness forums. Post your ideas here!

Moderator: EC

kreinafine

I only have one day a week to workout. What should I do?

Post by kreinafine »

I recently started making one positive change a month and this upcoming month I'm going to start going to the gym. However my job requires me to work 55-65 hours a week so the only day I'm willing to go to the gym at the moment is Sundays. Is there a program designed around one day a week? I know more days would be better, but I'm starting small until my upcoming promotion kicks in and I can spend more time on this.
Mingzuo

Re: I only have one day a week to workout. What should I do?

Post by Mingzuo »

No matter how busy we are with our work or life, we always need to keep fit because nothing is more important than our health. If we are so busy to pick a fixed time slot to take exercise, we can change our mind of working out. Working out does not necessarily mean spending one or two hours in the gym every day, indeed, it is flexible with time and locations. When you are hurrying up to catch the deadline in front of your desktop at your working station, you can just stand up and make a few squats, and then you are working out! Working out is actually not time-consuming and can be simple. It is an action, a life style, and more an altitude towards life.
hazelcb

Re: I only have one day a week to workout. What should I do?

Post by hazelcb »

I feel your pain--and frustration! Can you take a little time every day to work on fitness? For example, I get up at 6 a.m. and walk--or am walked by :-) --my big dog. That starts my day off right.

I've also acquired a stand for my bicycle so that I can bike without hitting the road. Where I live, on a long, narrow, twisty country road with no bike lanes, gullies on both sides, and traffic that far exceeds the speed limit, biking would be dangerous, to put it mildly. I listen to an audiobook while "biking." I set a timer and start slowly and at a very low gear and work my way up.

I work at home, so I know that I could easily become a couch potato. I set a timer to make sure I get off my chair every hour and move around. And I divide up my tasks at home so that I have to walk the length of the house many times to accomplish them.

Yes, I need to be much more fit than I am. But, baby steps.

Best of luck to you!