The Great Wall of China

Talk about travel, tourism and your holidays.

Moderator: EC

Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

The Great Wall of China

Post by Dixie »

I saw someone was talking about the Great Wall on the General Discussion forum, and I was wondering if any Chinese members (above all Redrose) or anyone who has visited it could tell us about it. Have you ever seen it? What's it like? I've just seen it on movies. I've just walked on a fake one in a theme park near my town. I really think the Great Wall is a work of art! How long is it? :roll:
francine
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by francine »

i'd like to see the 'great wall of china too'. they said that you'll be able to see it from outer space. :D
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Thank you, Lilian! I am browsing the website you provided ;)
RedRose

Post by RedRose »

The Great Wall of China is very grand and splendid! I have been to the Great Wall for 3 times in the past. The previous two times visits happened during my college time. Then my college was about two-hour-car distance from the first gate of The Great Wall <ShanHai Gate>. Once my ex-bf told me:"we should go to The Great Wall for a trip!" I agreed. that was a nice trip! We stood on the Great Wall and shouted out! how relaxing! just two months after we returned back to our school, we went to the Great Wall again~! Coz she was so great! I even don't know how to describe her beauty and charm! No wonder why people around world love her!

last year I went to BeiJing( China's capital) for a medicine conference, and I visited The Great Wall again~! I still don't know how to describe her charm and attraction!
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

I'd really love to visit it someday.
jonrey10
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by jonrey10 »

One of the Wonders of the World.... :D

c",) I'm here... all the way c",)
greatJim
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by greatJim »

What do you think of the fake one,Dixie.?
:D The great wall could be seen in outer space.One report from USA proves it.They use a kind of camera,getting the photo.
Last year,an Chinese astraunomor went to the space.after he returned,he said he hadn't seen the great wall.
This message was out of surprise,made us all depressed.Since the relevant knowledge is writtern into the book of primary school.
But the possible truth is one can't see it by naked eyes.
So the American scientists keep the legend going on.Because they just found it when they were doing spy work in China. 8) 8) :lol:
The fact is the great wall is very long.not always consecutive now.But really an unbelievable work.it traverses several provinces.And with several kinds of styles.
RedRose

Post by RedRose »

I heard of the message of that people could see The Great Wall from the outer space, and it isn't until now that I didn't know the message was fake! I just visited two Gates of the Great Wall for 3 times: ShanHuai Gate and BaDa Lin; two times for ShanHuai Gate and one time for BaDa Lin.

as GreatJim said, The Great Wall isn't consecutive, she gose through several provinces of China. In this respect, she isn't perfect. However, I think that is just a kind of bizarre beauty! her disconnections show her complicated experiences.
greatJim
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by greatJim »

RedRose wrote:I heard of the message of that people could see The Great Wall from the outer space, and it isn't until now that I didn't know the message was fake! I just visited two Gates of the Great Wall for 3 times: ShanHuai Gate and BaDa Lin; two times for ShanHuai Gate and one time for BaDa Lin.

as GreatJim said, The Great Wall isn't consecutive, she gose through several provinces of China. In this respect, she isn't perfect. However, I think that is just a kind of bizarre beauty! her disconnections show her complicated experiences.
I just went to there one time ,to BaDa Lin.That's really a good memory.I think it's a creative engineering,as in an architect's eyes.
YOu will enjoy the trip when you are walking on the steps between the wall And don't feel tired.
pooh_bear
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by pooh_bear »

I wish Redrose could tour us there someday. id love to go there.
RedRose

Post by RedRose »

I will keep trying, dear bear!
_Arale_

Post by _Arale_ »

As I know Great Wall was built by The King " Tan Thuy Hoang" (sorry I forget how to spell his name in English :( ). So many people died when this wonder was constructed.Wherever I think of Great Wall , I think of people who sacrificed for the world too ! :cry:

_Arale_
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Yes, Arale, you're right. And not only with the Wall, it happened with everything... take the Gizeh Pyramids, for example. I think those were built by slaves.
vincent_thyme

Post by vincent_thyme »

I havn't go to the Great Wall, but i have been dreaming of it.
The great wall was first built by the king of Qin Dynasty.In the defence of his borders,to avoided outer invader-Hsiung-nu. And it was rebuilt by the king of Ming dynasty(attention:not Big YAO of china in NBA,hehe...). The great wall(Qin Dynasty) from western China, Lin Tao to the eastern,Liao Dong. And The Great Wall(Ming dynasty) from western JiaYuGuan to the eastern Yalu(near north Korea).It is wriggled over 6000 kilometres. its extent can make a circuit of earth.and it is very very very magnificent.Absolutely, beyond compare with pyramid of Egypt.
Hoping all of you can visit the Great Wall.
eyes_on_me
lucy_liu

Re: The Great Wall of China

Post by lucy_liu »

Dixie wrote:I saw someone was talking about the Great Wall on the General Discussion forum, and I was wondering if any Chinese members (above all Redrose) or anyone who has visited it could tell us about it. Have you ever seen it? What's it like? I've just seen it on movies. I've just walked on a fake one in a theme park near my town. I really think the Great Wall is a work of art! How long is it? :roll:
I'm a new coming from Beijing. As everone knows, the great wall is the famous place in China, which accepts thousands and hundreds tourists from all over the world every year. Before my description, there is someting to be clarified first: there is not only one great wall in China. In ancientry, the great wall was built as martial barrier to prevent the aggression of enemy from north. Now, there are two existent the great walls in China, one was built in Qin Dynasty, the oldest one, and the other was built in Ming Dynasty, which is located in the north outskirt of Beijing now.

The great wall built in Ming Dynasty is the one mentioned and visited by pepole always around Beijing for its good integrality and grandness. However, do you know it is only a part of whole wall? I don't know the exact meters of the great wall, but it begins from the seaside in the east of China and ends to the desert in the west of China. I think you can imagine its length when you know how broad the Chinese territory is.

I have been there for many times. some of time is the travel myown, the most of time I went there as an accompanier with the friends. Besides the grandness, the height of each step of the great wall was impressed on me deeply. The height of some steps is almost reach your knee! How can you believe it is really tired after claiming it step by step, but how exciting and proud you are when you find all beautiful views are front of your sight and they are can be touched almost once you reach.

So it is a wonderful thing undoubtedly if you have some chance to visit it personally.