Come here to know more about "Ao dai".

Talk about travel, tourism and your holidays.

Moderator: EC

phumita
Rising Star
Rising Star

Come here to know more about "Ao dai".

Post by phumita »

History and Poetry combine in "Ao dai"

The "Ao dai" appeared in Vietnam long ago and has been a common garment for women. Teachers and university or highschool students wear it at school, office workers use it, and Vietnamese air stewardesses display it wonderfully during flights. This kind of garment is also used for social gatherings, such as festivals, ceremonies and parties.

Apart from women, men also wear "Ao dai", but usually only in ceremonies. The "Ao dai" for men looks almost the same as that for women but has differences in the collar, sleeves, waist, and the length of flaps. A traditional ceremonial costume for Vietnamese men comprises an "Ao dai", a turban, and wooden shoes.

Some experts say the history of the "Ao dai" relates to the war between Trinh and Nguyen Lords. After Nguyen Hoang had been nominated governor of Thuan Hoa, he gradually built his southern land into an autonomy, independent of the goverment of King Le and Lord Trinh in the northern land. The border between the two regions of Vietnam at that time was the Gianh river in Quang Binh province.

In 1744, Lord Nguyen Phuc Khoat, a grand duke, pronounced himself Prince as a counterpart to Lord Trinh. He build Phu Xuan (Hue today) into a capital. He wanted the southern land to have its own cultural characteristics and escape the influences of the northern land's customs. The people's costumes should be renovated, he decreed. The dress for women was designed in reference to the dress of Cham women living in the southern land, but retained the beauty of the four-flap dress of the northern land country girls. Later, this garment became a favorite in both regions.

In the course of time, the "Ao dai" has undergone changes in design. It was loose, then tight. The collar was high then low, round then flat. The garment reached the wearer's heels and, at other times, was a bit below the knees.

The modern "Ao dai" is relatively colse-fitting for the body of a woman to display the beauty of her shape. It suits the small stature of Vietnamese women. When walking in the wind, a woman in an "Ao dai" may look more charming because of the flying flaps. The sleeves are loose, sometimes three-quarters of the arm's length, making the wearer look healthy and youthful. The image of school-girls in "Ao dai" going home after shool, with white flaps flying in the sunset, is beautiful and poetic. The "Ao dai" makes school-girls more feminine and tender.

Foreign girls studying in Vietnam and many visitors like "Ao dai" very much. They often have one or two pieces made to take home.

You know, I post this topic because some people confuse "Ao dai" with the traditional costume of Shanghai. They also say that because my country was controlled by China for a long time, so the culture was affected by China. The "Ao dai" is just different from the traditional costume of Shanghai in some points. It has trousers, its sleeves are longer than the traditional costume of Shanghai.

I agree that our country's culture is a little familiar with China but our costume is our own and this is a creation of Vietnamese people.
phumita
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by phumita »

None of you want to read this topic, do you?
Miss. Ladybird
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Miss. Ladybird »

I see that you did some of your homework. :lol: :lol: :lol:
phumita wrote:You know, I post this topic because some people confuse "Ao dai" with the traditional costume of Shanghai…
I was one of them. But now I know the differences between them. Thank you for the new information. ;)
phumita
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by phumita »

You're welcome.
phumita
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by phumita »

Hey, Miss Ladybird.

Do you wanna wear "Ao dai"? I have one and I'm willing to lend it to you ;) .
Miss. Ladybird
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Miss. Ladybird »

Really :o:
This will be like a dream come true :D :D :D
phumita
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by phumita »

Defenitely, when you come to Vietnam :mrgreen:
Miss. Ladybird
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Miss. Ladybird »

Miss Ladybird wrote:Really :o:
This will be like a dream come true :D :D :D
phumita wrote:Defenitely, when you come to Vietnam :mrgreen:
going to Vietnam is a DREAM itself. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
phumita
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by phumita »

When you come to Vietnam, I will be your tourist guide, okay?
Miss. Ladybird
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Miss. Ladybird »

O. K. I would love that.but it will be free, RIGHT :roll: :lol:
Do you have a car? or should I bring mine :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:
phumita
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by phumita »

If you wanna :mrgreen: .
radu

Post by radu »

you have done a beautiful piece of work writing this information about a thing that doesn't sound familiar to many people,but which is a very interesting one.Congratulations!
phumita
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by phumita »

Thank you. Thank you.

Ah, you are a new member, aren't you? Welcome to our big family.
orange
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by orange »

Hi, I read your writing already and i'd like to say that you did a thing very well. That's introduce our traditional garment to friends in here as well as in over the world. I also to introduce Vietnam's custom and culture to another countries but i cannot. As you know, my English ability is not enough. So I want to say you thank you very much for what you did :lol:
orange
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by orange »

Hi, I read your writing already and i'd like to say that you did a thing very well. That's introduce our traditional garment to friends in here as well as in over the world. I also want to introduce Vietnam's custom and culture to another countries but i cannot. As you know, my English ability is not enough. So I want to say you thank you very much for what you did :lol:
radu

Post by radu »

phumita wrote:Thank you. Thank you.

Ah, you are a new member, aren't you? Welcome to our big family.
yes,I am a new one,but like I told in other post,I'm feeling surrounded by many and old friens here.Thank you for your welcome.
phumita
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by phumita »

orange wrote:Hi, I read your writing already and i'd like to say that you did a thing very well. That's introduce our traditional garment to friends in here as well as in over the world. I also want to introduce Vietnam's custom and culture to another countries but i cannot. As you know, my English ability is not enough. So I want to say you thank you very much for what you did :lol:
Don't be shy about your English. The more practice you do, the best English you will get.
vincent_thyme

Post by vincent_thyme »

phumita wrote:Hey, Miss Ladybird.

Miss ladybird, Phumita has sent some ...er... information to you, it like one of my folk, if someone male or female send something to each other, such as a pouch, a ball of love, :lol: :lol: that means...... hehehe :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
eyes_on_me
phumita
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by phumita »

vincent_thyme wrote:
phumita wrote:Hey, Miss Ladybird.

Miss ladybird, Phumita has sent some ...er... information to you, it like one of my folk, if someone male or female send something to each other, such as a pouch, a ball of love, :lol: :lol: that means...... hehehe :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Hey, what do you mean?
Miss. Ladybird
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Miss. Ladybird »

vincent_thyme wrote:Miss ladybird, Phumita has sent some ...er... information to you, it like one of my folk, if someone male or female send something to each other, such as a pouch, a ball of love, that means...... hehehe
I don't understand either. What do you mean by that?!!!!!!!!! :x