Traditional wedding in your country

Post or ask for ideas and opinions about different subjects here.

Moderator: EC

Arale
Rising Star
Rising Star

Traditional wedding in your country

Post by Arale »

How is a traditional wedding taken place in your country? In my country, Vietnam, it's a very important event for both the bride and the bridegroom. Actually, there are many steps in a traditional wedding.

First, there is a small party called "an hoi" in Vietnamese, which is similar to promising to marry before the wedding one or two weeks (depending on each area).

Second, on the wedding day, all the groom's family have to go to the bride's home on time (they chose the good time before that). The traditional gifts include betel and areca-nut, cake, and fruits. Then, the groom and the bride worship at the altar of ancestors.

Next, the bride puts the ring onto the bride's finger, earrings into her ears, and a necklace onto her neck.The bride also puts a ring onto the groom's finger.

After that, the groom brings his bride to his house. In that evening, they have a wedding party with their relatives and friends. There is usually a band to play music during their meal. In the middle of the meal, the couple go around and go to each table to get wishes and gifts or money from their relatives and friends.

Finally, on the day after the wedding, they-the couple come back to the bride's house to greet her parents and relatives, then having a meal together. The couple will have their honeymoon after all.

_Arale_
Nothing lasts forever...
Arale
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Arale »

In fact, we don't always need to do all the above steps in a modern wedding. It also depends on each family. A simple wedding is better, I think. I attended a modern wedding of my friend. Just a small party with the friends of the couple in a restaurant. But very funny and happy! As I see, the old don't like a simple wedding much. What is your opinion?

_Arale_
Nothing lasts forever...
authorityquery
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by authorityquery »

Yeah, in my opinion, I don't like old style wedding, modern wedding now 's better.
You know,I heard a sad story: A man 's so poor, woman's family 's richer than man, and when both of them wanted to get married, they had some problems, you know what,...the man don't have enough money to celebrate a big party as woman's parents wanted, so her parents forced him to say goodbye to her, and besides of it, the age of man and woman is not well-matched, so they were not allowed to get married.
No way. her parents believe in fortune-teller. My god.
thanks.
MTV i like most wanted
manrat

Post by manrat »

I dont have time to write in detail about customs in my country but I'd like to mention one thing for the moment.

So what could be the first thing a newly-wed couple in Germany has to do?

Well, I have to add that this custom is not popular all over Germany, but it´s possible that you´ll see it at one or another wedding or rather after the ceremony.

How to Saw a Log

Here's How:

1. Step out of the church with a happy smile on your face like all newly-weds do until they see a huge log of wood waiting for them.

2. Come close to the log (it should be placed on a sawing horse) and inspect it.

3. Choose a knotless sector (otherwise your log-sawing will replace your dinner, your party, and all things planned).

4. Take a saw with your right hand (unless you are left-handed).

5. Be sure to see your spouse on the other end of the saw (and across the log).

6. Encourage each other with a smile and start moving the saw!

7. Don't mind your friends and relatives with their kind (but distracting) remarks and laughter -- keep sawing.

8. When the saw stucks (yes, it will), get it out of the log and start moving it anew.

9. After you have finished, be careful: the logs (now two of them!) tend to land onto the sawyers' feet...

10. Sigh with relief (not too loud) and kiss your sawdusted spouse.

*giggle* Well, it's more of a funny custom after the ceremony and meant to have some fun and laughs and its a little bit of a symbol, the first thing the newly-wed couple does together ... and hopefully many more in the future.
Shazzam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Shazzam »

During the 1900's in Australia the traditional wedding was very similar to England. A minister of the church presided over the ceremony, the reception would be held at either a Church Hall or Club of some description, followed by the couple leaving for their honeymoon. The bride wore white (and usually looked more like a meringue pie than a person). Full veils were worn.

These days in Australia alot of people are opting for civil ceremonies conducted by Marriage Celebrants at Parks, Beaches etc. There still is the occasional meringue pie bride :lol: .

The only thing that worries me is that in the 1900's couple's weddings were generally paid for by the Bride's parents. This is no longer a tradition in Australia as alot of couples are opting for very expensive weddings and want total control over the details of their weddings.

The overall cost of a wedding now is over the top. They are like celebrity weddings. It seems to me that it is a hell of a lot of money to pay out for one day of your life. Sure it should be memorable and enjoyable, but you shouldn't have to be paying it off for ten years after the day.

:roll: :roll:
Coolfish

Post by Coolfish »

Traditional chinese wedding is very special, but nowadays we will have few chance to see it.

First, the groom will get to bride's home and pick her by sedan-chair. The couple are wearing traditional wedding dresses, normally in red. There is always some band, who are playing chinese music loudly.

Before the couple are coming into their new home, there are a lot of firecrackers set off.

Then the couple will go on with some special ceremonies with their parents and relatives.

After that, it's the wedding dinner.

I just tried to give you some overall understanding of chinese wedding. The wedding is interesting and memorable. And I'm glad to talk with you guys about it.
nien

Post by nien »

Hi,

I'm from Indonesia .. which any of you might know is an island country devided into thirty provincies consisting many tribes.
Each tribes has its own traditional wedding ceremony which of course unique.

For example in Jakarta with Betawi as its origin, the wedding ceremony is quite unique and entertaining. The bride and the groom are stayed apart in different house. As moslems, 'marriage vow' is already done one day or couple of hours earlier. So the wedding ceremony is just a celebration and announcement to the neighbours or society that the 2 persons are married.

Back to the ceremony, while the bride is waiting in her house wearing traditional wedding clothes, the groom walks all the way to the bride's house in convoy with his relatives. They carrying presents such as dresses, varied traditional foods and cakes, fruits, etc, but the most famous from Betawi traditional wedding ceremony is "crocodile bread" :P

When he arrives in front of the bride's house, a representative of each side (bride and groom) will deliver limerick toward each other. Then after some q&a limericks, the groom may proced entering the bride's house. Wedding procession continues.

Ah, sorry, I'm trying my best to describe it clearly. But if you still get confusion while reading it, sorry again guys.
Shazzam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Shazzam »

nien wrote:Hi,

I'm from Indonesia .. which any of you might know is an island country devided into thirty provincies consisting many tribes.
Each tribes has its own traditional wedding ceremony which of course unique.

For example in Jakarta with Betawi as its origin, the wedding ceremony is quite unique and entertaining. The bride and the groom are stayed apart in different house. As moslems, 'marriage vow' is already done one day or couple of hours earlier. So the wedding ceremony is just a celebration and announcement to the neighbours or society that the 2 persons are married.

Back to the ceremony, while the bride is waiting in her house wearing traditional wedding clothes, the groom walks all the way to the bride's house in convoy with his relatives. They carrying presents such as dresses, varied traditional foods and cakes, fruits, etc, but the most famous from Betawi traditional wedding ceremony is "crocodile bread" :P

When he arrives in front of the bride's house, a representative of each side (bride and groom) will deliver limerick toward each other. Then after some q&a limericks, the groom may proced entering the bride's house. Wedding procession continues.

Ah, sorry, I'm trying my best to describe it clearly. But if you still get confusion while reading it, sorry again guys.
So romantic! Sounds lovely like something from a movie.. 8)
flowerwallhire

Re: Traditional wedding in your country

Post by flowerwallhire »

Thx for this interesting information , your topic deserves to be in my bookmark list.
AkbarHashmi

Post by AkbarHashmi »

Nowadays, Traditional wedding in our country is very good idea!
massonlim

Post by massonlim »

We have a traditional wedding held in the church. But for example, I really like exit registers. We usually book an English mansion. The same buffet and wedding photo shoot there. Here in these pictures the best indicator looks like bristol wedding photographers
Cometrocks

Post by Cometrocks »

In Cairo, the capital of Egypt, Muslims have a marriage officiant, authorized by the government, present at the beginning of the ceremony to legally marry the bride and groom, then there is a reception held usually at a hotel, or a garden, or on the beach. There is a wedding photo shoot, a buffet, dancing and singing, etc. It's important for Christians in Egypt to get married in the church by a priest and afterwards they have a reception, also in a hotel, or a garden,etc.
Some people like to hold a small party a week or so before the wedding to get married legally by the officiant, and then they have the reception on a different day. Some other people just have this one small party and then they go on their honeymoon, no reception is held.
Wedding traditions are different in other parts of Egypt.
Kkarimi

Post by Kkarimi »

Hi Arale.

In my eye, you have an interesting tradition. I believe that many traditional protocols are useful for our nowadays life. For example, your custom causes the bride and bridegroom families to meet each other, and it makes an excellent opportunity for impressing relationships and having more friends. At the other hand, these banquets make an opportunity about knowing new people for explaining job-related issues and maybe finding some job partner for later cooperation. At all, I think nowadays modern life hold us to communicate with each other only through social network and other things like that. We in Iran have some tradition like yours. But lifestyles have been modernized, and all fascinating cultures are becoming fade. So be happy about your custom.

Hossein
Mohsen
Top Contributor
Top Contributor
Location: No.7,Charso lane,walk down,You’ll arrive to the garden of sense,Naghshejahan square,Esfahan,Iran

Post by Mohsen »

For Iranians marriage is an event, which must be celebrated not quietly but with glory and distinction. It is the most conspicuous of all the occasions and is celebrated in the presence of a fairly large assembly. In the past the parents and older members of the family arranged almost all marriages. This is still the case in rural areas and with traditional families. Modern couples however, choose their own mate but their parents’ consent is still very important and is considered by both sides. Even with modern Iranians, after the couple have decided themselves, it is normally the grooms’ parents or other relatives who take the initiative and formally ask for the bride and her family’s consent. Once this is done then the marriage will be announced. In the ancient times, the musicians playing at marriage gatherings used drums to announce the marriage to the people of the town or village. The group that gathered for the marriage was called the assembly for the queenly bride. Traditionally, both the bride and the bridegroom dressed in white with garlands of flower on their necks. The color white is a symbol of purity, innocence and faithfulness.
Mustafa Mohseni Isfahani
palmerdarron

Post by palmerdarron »

A traditional wedding is all about incorporating traditions from both cultures and the most important thing in any wedding is photography. Wedding photos are vital because only through photos our good memories are captured.
Individual

Post by Individual »

Hi!
It is quite an interesting topic.
Actually, there are two different perspectives about wedding in our country. One involves the religious practices whereas the other one has evolved over time.
Our religion Islam has provided clear guidelines about marriage where simplicity is the key. There is no need of excessive spending or any sort of overburdening for the groom or bride.
However, the traditions that have evolved over time require high spending in the form of excessive gifts both to the groom and bride. It doesn't stop here. Furniture for the groom's home, conveyance, one dinner for the guests are some of the expectations from bride's family. Similarly, a groom is expected to provide a lavish dinner once. It actually overburdens both the families.