How color can change your life

Post or ask for ideas and opinions about different subjects here.

Moderators: Vega, EC

harvester
Gold Member

How color can change your life

Postby harvester » Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:06 am

I have learned some more interesting things at Reading class. Color can change your life. It influences on you and the other things. For Morton Walker, a health writer and an author of the book The Power of Color (Avery, 1990), gave some evidence: Pastel is the easiest color for the eye to process. Red color enhaces the appetite, it has been proven to be a stimulant that releases adrenaline, increases the pulse rate, raises blood pressure. In contrast, blue reduces appetite. Dark blue has historically been associated with power, responsibility and respectability.

It sounds interesting, doen't it? but I feel about different colors is influenced by the culture. In my culture white color is purity, blue is hope, black is bad luck, green is vitality, red is victory, and yellow is betray.

MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby MissLT » Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:27 am

Yeah, that's why it's inappropriate to wear a bright color suit to a funeral.

harvester
Gold Member

Postby harvester » Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:29 pm

LennyeTran wrote:Yeah, that's why it's inappropriate to wear a bright color suit to a funeral.

Yes, LennyeTran. But there is something strange in my country. In wedding, the bride often wears a long white dress because it is purity. But in funeral, everybody also wears white clothes. I have asked my teacher, she didn't answer my question. I answered her "why white color is purity while it is also bad luck?" :? I don't understand! :roll:

MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby MissLT » Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:29 pm

harvester wrote:
Yes, LennyeTran. But there is something strange in my country. In wedding, the bride often wears a long white dress because it is purity. But in funeral, everybody also wears white clothes. I have asked my teacher, she didn't answer my question. I answered her "why white color is purity while it is also bad luck?" :? I don't understand! :roll:

I don't get it either. I'm not allowed to wear white or black bandanas on my head is all I know. It's silly to me. :x

Ika
Silver Member

Postby Ika » Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:39 pm

About wedding... in my country, traditionally the bride is in white dress, and the groom wears a dark suit, as for funeral, we all wear black clothes, to show our sorrow. Heh:) that's the question- why does the groom wears dark suit, usually black, for his wedding .... :))
But colours really are important. For example, yellow is a colour of intelligence, so it is a good idea to use yellow when decorating the classroom.
But as I see it, these two cases are quite different. When speaking about traditional clothes for weddings etc., it is about culture , traditions. The colour of the walls, curtains, and so on in different kinds of places, it is about phsychology. And it works. So, if you feel depressed, don't wear dark clothes, it will not help you get out of depression :wink:
"To know nothing is bad, to learn nothing is worse."

MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby MissLT » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:45 pm

Ika wrote:About wedding... in my country, traditionally the bride is in white dress, and the groom wears a dark suit, as for funeral, we all wear black clothes, to show our sorrow. Heh:) that's the question- why does the groom wears dark suit, usually black, for his wedding .... :))
But colours really are important. For example, yellow is a colour of intelligence, so it is a good idea to use yellow when decorating the classroom.
But as I see it, these two cases are quite different. When speaking about traditional clothes for weddings etc., it is about culture , traditions. The colour of the walls, curtains, and so on in different kinds of places, it is about phsychology. And it works. So, if you feel depressed, don't wear dark clothes, it will not help you get out of depression :wink:

I think the bride wears red color in Chinese weeding. And yellow is a color of intelligence? :shock:

hanami
Silver Member

Postby hanami » Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:09 am

LennyeTran wrote: I think the bride wears red color in Chinese weeding. And yellow is a color of intelligence? :shock:

yellow is the color of flawlessness and nobleness. Chinese imperors and royal people always wear yellow clothes, Gold is yellow and stars are always printed yellow too.
happiness is something you can't foretell

MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby MissLT » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:10 am

hanami wrote:yellow is the color of flawlessness and nobleness. Chinese imperors and royal people always wear yellow clothes, Gold is yellow and stars are always printed yellow too.

So yellow has the best and worst sides, eh? Since something we waste from our digestive and urinary systems :roll: ... well, I'm not going there. Just leave it as is. :lol: Anyway, what about pink?

MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby MissLT » Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:57 am

Hey, since we're talking about colors, do you think some certain colors should distinguishably be just for boys or girls? :? For instance, pink should just be for girls and blue is for boys!?!?!?!

Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006

Postby Dixie » Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:36 pm

LennyeTran wrote: For instance, pink should just be for girls and blue is for boys!?!?!?!

Blue is for me! That's my favorite color :twisted: And I hate pink. So let's forget about stereotypes... :D

ahmads
Platinum Member

Postby ahmads » Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:05 pm

Dixie wrote:
LennyeTran wrote: For instance, pink should just be for girls and blue is for boys!?!?!?!

Blue is for me! That's my favorite color :twisted: And I hate pink. So let's forget about stereotypes... :D

I like blue too ,,,, 8)

Arale
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Re: How color can change your life

Postby Arale » Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:43 pm

harvester wrote:
It sounds interesting, doen't it? but I feel about different colors is influenced by the culture. In my culture white color is purity, blue is hope, black is bad luck, green is vitality, red is victory, and yellow is betray.

As I know yellow can activate our brain. So it's a great idea of painting class yellow. It'll help children fresh their mind and study better. So, you should wear a yellow shirt if you have an important exam. 8)

_Arale_

novia

Postby novia » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:21 am

Hi!!
it's a bit strange that in vietnam everyone wears white clothes in funeral. in indonesia, there's no rule for that. but, as far as i know, people usually wear simple dress with dark colors. it doesn't have to be black. we can use any color, but not the bright one.

nhuquynh

Postby nhuquynh » Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:01 pm

my mother said that we only wear white clothes in funerals if we're still students. other cases we'd better wear dark colors. I haven't attended much funerals so I don't know whether it's popular or not. why do U think we have this distinction? :oops:

Rui
Gold Member

Postby Rui » Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:41 pm

well.. what a big confusion of colours, but i'm liking to see all the commentaries, although the only thing that came to my mind is what color i should choose.... but i guess my favourite colours are Blue and White, the colours of my club :lol: FC Porto..

natsu0713

Postby natsu0713 » Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:20 am

harvester wrote:
LennyeTran wrote:Yeah, that's why it's inappropriate to wear a bright color suit to a funeral.

I hope when you find out the answer, you can share with us. :D

I would like to know the answer too.

natsu0713

Postby natsu0713 » Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:10 am

hanami wrote:
LennyeTran wrote: I think the bride wears red color in Chinese weeding. And yellow is a color of intelligence? :shock:

yellow is the color of flawlessness and nobleness. Chinese imperors and royal people always wear yellow clothes, Gold is yellow and stars are always printed yellow too.

Well... I would like to add another one. Red has auspicious meaning in China and Taiwan. In traditional wedding, brides' dress is red. During Chinese New Year, people wear red clothes. Even at that time, some people wear red underwears and underpants when they gamble, play majiang, poker... etc.

ahmads
Platinum Member

Postby ahmads » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:42 pm

ahmads wrote:
Dixie wrote:

I like blue too ,,,, 8)

certaily for boy
and pink for girls :lol: :lol:

Dixie

Postby Dixie » Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:38 pm

ahmads wrote:certaily for boy

That's nonsense. Personally, I hate pink. And blue is my favorite color.

ahmads
Platinum Member

Postby ahmads » Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:41 pm

Dixie wrote:
ahmads wrote:certaily for boy

That's nonsense.

nonsense,,, What do you mean????
Last edited by ahmads on Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ahmads
Platinum Member

Postby ahmads » Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:47 pm

and I think ,,If I (ahmad)tell you >>>I(ahmad) like blue >>
you will tell me >>>I(Dixie) like black :!: :!: :lol:

Return to “Ideas and Opinions”