How color can change your life

Post or ask for ideas and opinions about different subjects here.

Moderators: Vega, EC

ahmads
Platinum Member
Posts: 858
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:37 pm
Location: jordan
Contact:

Postby ahmads » Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:05 pm

Dixie wrote:
LennyeTran wrote: For instance, pink should just be for girls and blue is for boys!?!?!?!


Blue is for me! That's my favorite color :twisted: And I hate pink. So let's forget about stereotypes... :D

I like blue too ,,,, 8)

User avatar
Arale
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board
Posts: 755
Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 7:05 am
Status: English Learner
Location: Vietnam

Re: How color can change your life

Postby Arale » Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:43 pm

harvester wrote:
It sounds interesting, doen't it? but I feel about different colors is influenced by the culture. In my culture white color is purity, blue is hope, black is bad luck, green is vitality, red is victory, and yellow is betray.


As I know yellow can activate our brain. So it's a great idea of painting class yellow. It'll help children fresh their mind and study better. So, you should wear a yellow shirt if you have an important exam. 8)

_Arale_

novia
New Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:07 am
Location: indonesia

Postby novia » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:21 am

Hi!!
it's a bit strange that in vietnam everyone wears white clothes in funeral. in indonesia, there's no rule for that. but, as far as i know, people usually wear simple dress with dark colors. it doesn't have to be black. we can use any color, but not the bright one.

User avatar
nhuquynh
Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:07 pm
Location: Hanoi

Postby nhuquynh » Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:01 pm

my mother said that we only wear white clothes in funerals if we're still students. other cases we'd better wear dark colors. I haven't attended much funerals so I don't know whether it's popular or not. why do U think we have this distinction? :oops:

User avatar
Rui
Gold Member
Posts: 477
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:41 am
Location: World, Portugal, Porto, Maia
Contact:

Postby Rui » Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:41 pm

well.. what a big confusion of colours, but i'm liking to see all the commentaries, although the only thing that came to my mind is what color i should choose.... but i guess my favourite colours are Blue and White, the colours of my club :lol: FC Porto..

natsu0713
Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 5:23 am
Location: Taipei, Taiwan

Postby natsu0713 » Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:20 am

harvester wrote:
LennyeTran wrote:Yeah, that's why it's inappropriate to wear a bright color suit to a funeral.


Yes, LennyeTran. But there is something strange in my country. In wedding, the bride often wears a long white dress because it is purity. But in funeral, everybody also wears white clothes. I have asked my teacher, she didn't answer my question. I answered her "why white color is purity while it is also bad luck?" :? I don't understand! :roll:


I hope when you find out the answer, you can share with us. :D

I would like to know the answer too.

natsu0713
Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 5:23 am
Location: Taipei, Taiwan

Postby natsu0713 » Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:10 am

hanami wrote:
LennyeTran wrote: I think the bride wears red color in Chinese weeding. And yellow is a color of intelligence? :shock:

yellow is the color of flawlessness and nobleness. Chinese imperors and royal people always wear yellow clothes, Gold is yellow and stars are always printed yellow too.



Well... I would like to add another one. Red has auspicious meaning in China and Taiwan. In traditional wedding, brides' dress is red. During Chinese New Year, people wear red clothes. Even at that time, some people wear red underwears and underpants when they gamble, play majiang, poker... etc.

ahmads
Platinum Member
Posts: 858
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:37 pm
Location: jordan
Contact:

Postby ahmads » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:42 pm

ahmads wrote:
Dixie wrote:
LennyeTran wrote: For instance, pink should just be for girls and blue is for boys!?!?!?!


Blue is for me! That's my favorite color :twisted: And I hate pink. So let's forget about stereotypes... :D

I like blue too ,,,, 8)

certaily for boy
and pink for girls :lol: :lol:

User avatar
Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006
Posts: 6336
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:08 pm
Status: English Teacher
Location: Catalunya
Contact:

Postby Dixie » Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:38 pm

ahmads wrote:certaily for boy
and pink for girls :lol: :lol:


That's nonsense. Personally, I hate pink. And blue is my favorite color.

ahmads
Platinum Member
Posts: 858
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:37 pm
Location: jordan
Contact:

Postby ahmads » Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:41 pm

Dixie wrote:
ahmads wrote:certaily for boy
and pink for girls :lol: :lol:


That's nonsense.

nonsense,,, What do you mean????
Last edited by ahmads on Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ahmads
Platinum Member
Posts: 858
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:37 pm
Location: jordan
Contact:

Postby ahmads » Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:47 pm

and I think ,,If I (ahmad)tell you >>>I(ahmad) like blue >>
you will tell me >>>I(Dixie) like black :!: :!: :lol:

User avatar
Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006
Posts: 6336
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:08 pm
Status: English Teacher
Location: Catalunya
Contact:

Postby Dixie » Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:58 pm

ahmads wrote:and I think ,,If I (ahmad)tell you >>>I(ahmad) like blue >>
you will tell me >>>I(Dixie) like black :!: :!: :lol:


Why? No, I said three times that blue is my favorite color ;)

ahmads
Platinum Member
Posts: 858
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:37 pm
Location: jordan
Contact:

Postby ahmads » Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:02 pm

Dixie wrote:
ahmads wrote:and I think ,,If I (ahmad)tell you >>>I(ahmad) like blue >>
you will tell me >>>I(Dixie) like black :!: :!: :lol:


Why? No, I said three times that blue is my favorite color ;)

I know that,Dixie,, :lol: :lol: it is just for funny :lol: keep smiling
Last edited by ahmads on Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

novia
New Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:07 am
Location: indonesia

Postby novia » Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:56 am

Hey...ahmad & dixie!!! stop arguing! :wink:
well, i'm a girl, and i love almost every color. i can't imagine if i couldn't see the colors. we should be grateful for that :)

ahmads
Platinum Member
Posts: 858
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:37 pm
Location: jordan
Contact:

Postby ahmads » Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:46 am

novia wrote:Hey...ahmad & dixie!!! stop arguing! :wink:
well, i'm a girl, and i love almost every color. i can't imagine if i couldn't see the colors. we should be grateful for that :)


ok,just in this topic ,,but in general I can not at all. :lol:

User avatar
CityYoung
Gold Member
Posts: 212
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:07 pm
Location: UnderTheTree

Postby CityYoung » Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:16 pm

I like most of colour unless black 8) but i waer black boot :wink:

grapefruit
Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:28 pm
Contact:

Postby grapefruit » Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:22 pm

natsu0713 wrote:
harvester wrote:
LennyeTran wrote:Yeah, that's why it's inappropriate to wear a bright color suit to a funeral.


Yes, LennyeTran. But there is something strange in my country. In wedding, the bride often wears a long white dress because it is purity. But in funeral, everybody also wears white clothes. I have asked my teacher, she didn't answer my question. I answered her "why white color is purity while it is also bad luck?" :? I don't understand! :roll:


I hope when you find out the answer, you can share with us. :D

I would like to know the answer too.


Although I am Vietnamese I don't know it clearly. White is color which have been interested in most in my country. The pupils from the elementary school to high school most of them have to wear white uniform. The bride like wearing long white dress and in funeral, they often wear white clothes, too. !?!?! What a strange!

User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
Posts: 3939
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Postby MissLT » Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:14 pm

harvester wrote:
LennyeTran wrote:Yeah, that's why it's inappropriate to wear a bright color suit to a funeral.


Yes, LennyeTran. But there is something strange in my country. In wedding, the bride often wears a long white dress because it is purity. But in funeral, everybody also wears white clothes. I have asked my teacher, she didn't answer my question. I answered her "why white color is purity while it is also bad luck?" :? I don't understand! :roll:

Okay, I was checking at wikipedia to see if they actually have an article about white color, and they do. Well, here it is in Vietnamese. You can scroll down at the bottom for the info.

http://vi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tr%E1%BA%AFng

I think the explanation is pretty accurate since we Vietnamese didn't wear white wedding dresses back then. Red was our color for the wedding dresses.

User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
Posts: 3939
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Postby MissLT » Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:20 pm

Dixie wrote:
ahmads wrote:certaily for boy
and pink for girls :lol: :lol:


That's nonsense. Personally, I hate pink. And blue is my favorite color.

But you know, when people couldn't tell the baby was a boy or a girl, the parents would dress that baby in either pink or blue to tell others what gender that baby is. When they see a baby in a pink dress, they would automatically think that boy was a girl; and if that baby is in blue clothes, he's a boy. Also, parents would not even try to dress their boys in pink clothes. Little girls can wear both blue and pink, but the boys can't.

User avatar
Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006
Posts: 6336
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:08 pm
Status: English Teacher
Location: Catalunya
Contact:

Postby Dixie » Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:47 pm

LennyeTran wrote:But you know, when people couldn't tell the baby was a boy or a girl, the parents would dress that baby in either pink or blue to tell others what gender that baby is. When they see a baby in a pink dress, they would automatically think that boy was a girl; and if that baby is in blue clothes, he's a boy. Also, parents would not even try to dress their boys in pink clothes. Little girls can wear both blue and pink, but the boys can't.


I know, that's a tradition here, too. Personally, when I have a baby, it's not gonna wear just blue or pink :D Especially since I dislike pink.

User avatar
Tora
Rough Diamond Member
Posts: 1156
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:57 pm
Status: Other
Location: Moscow

Postby Tora » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:16 pm

I like children (newborn especially)to look like small YELLOW chicken! 8) But my nephew looks like an adult wearing brown velvet trousers, but I agree most of his clothes are dark blue... weird... Why it it so? boys - blue, ladies - pink... I don't like it either. :P

As far as i'm concerned... I changed my hair-cut 2 years ago and became red. Soo now no one consider me as a brown-hair lady anymore! I guess It influenced a bit on my behavior, I became open-minded, self confident (though still not enough)... :oops:


Return to “Ideas and Opinions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests