Traffic jam

Post or ask for ideas and opinions about different subjects here.

Moderators: Vega, EC

Hardi
Rough Diamond Member

Postby Hardi » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:38 am

well making public transport free reduces amount of cars, reducing amount of cars reducing the spend to repair/build new roads.. It's not enough but.. I think taxes for cars is good idea, because then peoples don't ride so much with cars.. and walking is also good for health.

shokin
Rough Diamond Member

Postby shokin » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:37 am

LennyeTran wrote:
shokin wrote:
LennyeTran wrote:But we need to. There are million of things we need to buy for our daily lives.

Tell me these very many things that we need.

There are many things that we can avoid, which are not necessary :

tv, video games, coca cola, hamburgers...

but the main idea is to take care about what you already have, for not having to buy new.

Shokin

You don't go shopping for food, clothes, accessories, etc? You are exaggerating your words with shopping again. You're making it seem like it's a crime for people to do it. For the love of God.....

I avoid much to buy things that I don't need.

Clothes are not useless.

One of my criteria in many contexts is the nature, you know.

Shokin

Arale
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby Arale » Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:59 pm

LennyeTran wrote:
Arale wrote:
They can take the tax from other fields like industry, business... to pay for public transports. Certainly, there should have a balance among all industries. Rich countries and good Governments can do this.

It's impossible. This is all I can tell you. What you said is a communist idea, and communist ideas never work.

Dear Lennye, I don't think free public transports are impossible. I don't believe in a communist world but some communist ideas can be possible or have been so already. Traffic jam is a controversial problem in many countries. If it is solved, it will bring great benefit. That's what some leaders should consider. :wink:

_Arale_

MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby MissLT » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:20 pm

Arale wrote:
Dear Lennye, I don't think free public transports are impossible. I don't believe in a communist world but some communist ideas can be possible or have been so already. Traffic jam is a controversial problem in many countries. If it is solved, it will bring great benefit. That's what some leaders should consider. :wink:

_Arale_

For an example? :?

Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member

Postby Shazzam » Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:40 pm

There was a free bus service in Australia for many years (school buses) however in the last few years the government is charging a small amount if you live reasonably close to a school and you chose to use the bus (it is concessioned).

There are also rates in place for people that are on pensions (they get a reduced fare).

I think it would be impossible to offer everyone free public transport, the system would collapse and become quite dangerous. When you consider the maintenance costs involved in keeping the transport system going.

If people think public transport is too expensive that should keep tabs on what it is costing them to run a car. I would bet that public transport would be a lot cheaper. The thing is people want the convenience of their own vehicle, I don't think you could ever change that.

Hardi
Rough Diamond Member

Postby Hardi » Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:42 pm

Anyway walking is not solution too, because peoples usually walk slower than cars and that populates streets over. So only way is using trains. build railroads everywhere... and also blow regular roads up..

Well I think there is no big different, communism or capitalism or what ever else, It's all same, because humans are same...

Arale
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby Arale » Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:45 am

LennyeTran wrote:
Arale wrote:
Dear Lennye, I don't think free public transport is impossible. I don't believe in a communist world but some communist ideas can be possible or have been so already. Traffic jam is a controversial problem in many countries. If it is solved, it will bring great benefit. That's what some leaders should consider. :wink:

_Arale_

In China, there's no ticket checker in public buses. Certainly, it's not free but the fine is quite cheap and anyone who uses the bus will automatically put money in a box in the bus. I think that's great! Pity there are still so few examples. :cry:

Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member

Postby Shazzam » Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:07 am

Arale wrote:
LennyeTran wrote:
Arale wrote:
Dear Lennye, I don't think free public transport is impossible. I don't believe in a communist world but some communist ideas can be possible or have been so already. Traffic jam is a controversial problem in many countries. If it is solved, it will bring great benefit. That's what some leaders should consider. :wink:

_Arale_

In China, there's no ticket checker in public buses. Certainly, it's not free but the fine is quite cheap and anyone who uses the bus will automatically put money in a box in the bus. I think that's great! Pity there are still so few examples. :cry:

But how can you tell if someone has paid the correct money. It isn't fair that someone should have to pay more than another to travel :?: :idea:

illusion
Platinum Member

Postby illusion » Sun Dec 25, 2005 2:24 pm

thank goodness I live in a small town where there is no such thing as traffic jam. no traffic jam= no problem :D

CityYoung
Gold Member

Postby CityYoung » Sun Dec 25, 2005 10:50 pm

HI illusion you are like me . In my city I don't havt traffic jam and I don't have problems My city not too big :wink:

illusion
Platinum Member

Postby illusion » Mon Dec 26, 2005 11:44 am

that's good, isn't it? :D

CityYoung
Gold Member

Postby CityYoung » Mon Dec 26, 2005 12:30 pm

YES Of Course :wink:

MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby MissLT » Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:28 am

Arale wrote:

Arale, this is a common thing in the Western world. Disabled people and students have the free tickets provided from the government or the school. However, those free tickets are bought from the taxes money. Thus, in a way, they pay for their own tickets. There is no free things in our society. To me, the unrealistic about the main communist idea is that things need to be shared. In capitalist society things are traded.
When you live in a society that things should be shared, it's hard to maintain. For once, there would be people who gave more than others, but everything had to be shared equally. Therefore, at the end they would be really disappointed for living in a society that they gave more and got the same amount as like others. In a society that things are traded people trade whatever they have to get something in a similar amount. If they don't have anything, they would trade to get what they need by working. To me, this is best system.

MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby MissLT » Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:32 am

Shazzam wrote:
But how can you tell if someone has paid the correct money. It isn't fair that someone should have to pay more than another to travel :?: :idea:

When you put your money in the money slot, it will tell the bus driver how much you've paid. Sometimes, people save their time to look for changes by buying the weekly or monthly bus passes and use them whenever they get on the bus.

Arale
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby Arale » Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:43 pm

LennyeTran wrote:Arale, this is a common thing in the Western world. Disabled people and students have the free tickets provided from the government or the school. However, those free tickets are bought from the taxes money. Thus, in a way, they pay for their own tickets. There is no free things in our society. To me, the unrealistic about the main communist idea is that things need to be shared. In capitalist society things are traded.
When you live in a society that things should be shared, it's hard to maintain. For once, there would be people who gave more than others, but everything had to be shared equally. Therefore, at the end they would be really disappointed for living in a society that they gave more and got the same amount as like others. In a society that things are traded people trade whatever they have to get something in a similar amount. If they don't have anything, they would trade to get what they need by working. To me, this is best system.

No, I don't want to live in a society that we change one thing for another. People's consciousness and attitude of people are one of the factors to make up a Communist society, that is, I suppose, too far for us to reach. Thus, such a type of society will never exist. But I don't think of such a great issue. I just think free public transport is possible. It can be free in different ways. For instance, school buses and office buses are often free or very cheap. People can pay every month or even for the whole year so they don't have to worry about travelling. That's just a way to encourage people to use public transport.

_Arale_

MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby MissLT » Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:39 pm

Arale wrote:
No, I don't want to live in a society that we change one thing for another. People's consciousness and attitude of people are one of the factors to make up a Communist society, that is, I suppose, too far for us to reach. Thus, such a type of society will never exist. But I don't think of such a great issue. I just think free public transport is possible. It can be free in different ways. For instance, school buses and office buses are often free or very cheap. People can pay every month or even for the whole year so they don't have to worry about travelling. That's just a way to encourage people to use public transport.

_Arale_

Trading is different than changing. And nothing is free, period. We will eventually pay for things, even you said so in your post. Therefore, I don't get why you're still hoping for free stuff when you know it's impossible.

Hardi
Rough Diamond Member

Postby Hardi » Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:21 pm

Free transport don't make anything better. Actually I wanna more special roads for bicycle and also secured parking places for bicycles. In my town is no one... or at least I don't know none... Traffic is today too danger for bicycle and I can't let my bicycle nowhere, because of thieves. And it's also needed to educate drivers better to drive.. and also to care about nature, owning a big car with big engine is lame.

MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby MissLT » Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:59 am

Hardi wrote:Free transport don't make anything better. Actually I wanna more special roads for bicycle and also secured parking places for bicycles. In my town is no one... or at least I don't know none... Traffic is today too danger for bicycle and I can't let my bicycle nowhere, because of thieves. And it's also needed to educate drivers better to drive.. and also to care about nature, owning a big car with big engine is lame.

:shock: You guys don't have a small line for bicycles next to the ones for the cars?

Hardi
Rough Diamond Member

Postby Hardi » Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:42 am

we have some, but that's not enough.

MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby MissLT » Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:44 am

Hardi wrote:we have some, but that's not enough.

From this we have a conclusion that there are still many people who would prefer cars over bikes, right? :wink:

Return to “Ideas and Opinions”