About Bible

Post or ask for ideas and opinions about different subjects here.

Moderator: EC

Oriani
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Oriani »

Lalee wrote:
Tora wrote: wowowow!! can this be reffered to orthodox christianity?? I am not religious but can't keep silent when... I can :lol: Is it so important - all our believes and religions? does it really matter? you are a young and nice girl why to put you mind full of that religions and so on? :?
It doesn't matter if I'm young or old. It just bugs me when people follow others without knowing if what they're following is right or not.
For instance, catholics here like to pray to idols which are statues of dead people called saints. Why don't they pray to God instead of those idols? Isn't God powerful enough to help them? They think they're true believers but there they are worshipping false gods.
Now if they read the bible, they would know that their church follows lots of beliefs the Bible is against.
Wow!!! How odd!! I'm Catholic and we're( my family and Venezuelan) are not like that!!! My parents used to be like those in ur country but they realized that it wasn't good.We're still Catholic, but we don't believe in those Idols :? I know some do that and I don't understand, I mean, I don't get why Catholicism adopted that belief! :(
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Lalee wrote: For instance, catholics here like to pray to idols which are statues of dead people called saints. Why don't they pray to God instead of those idols? Isn't God powerful enough to help them? They think they're true believers but there they are worshipping false gods.
Now if they read the bible, they would know that their church follows lots of beliefs the Bible is against.
Same thing for Buddhists who worship Buddha statues and do all kinda praying. I don't think it's nonsense, though. It's just a way to show your respect. Whatever fits you!

Last time, we had a huge argument in our world religions class about Muslims who chanted to hang the guys who did the caricatures. My teacher said one of the differences between a Buddhist, a Christian, and a Muslim is the way they show their worship. Even within each religion, there are people who worship in different ways.
Lalee
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Lalee »

Oriani wrote: Wow!!! How odd!! I'm Catholic and we're( my family and Venezuelan) are not like that!!! My parents used to be like those in ur country but they realized that it wasn't good.We're still Catholic, but we don't believe in those Idols :? I know some do that and I don't understand, I mean, I don't get why Catholicism adopted that belief! :(
I don't understand either, Oriani.
The only thing I know is that they have strange beliefs.
So I guess you go to church every Sunday, right? What's the first thing you see when you enter? Here most churches are scary, full of a bunch of statues.

The weirdest thing about Catholicism is that they worship Mary more than God. Why would I want to worship a woman who was just like me? The only difference between me and her is that she got chosen. She didn't remain virgin all her life so she was just a regular woman who got God's blessing and that's it.
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tora »

I always thought that religion is a descreet agreement between you and god you worship - not the best "description" but still... why do you care about other people? follow your way and reach Heaven or whateverelse, but you can't make the world catholics and christian change! I have never read bible from cover to cover - I don't feel embarassed or something - I don't need it at this very moment - and it is my own business... like it is their own business to pray to god mary-not-vergin or idols
everyone has his own way to god
Last edited by Tora on Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lalee
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Lalee »

LennyeTran wrote: Same thing for Buddhists who worship Buddha statues and do all kinda praying. I don't think it's nonsense, though. It's just a way to show your respect. Whatever fits you!
I don't really know much about Buddhism so I can't say much about it. I guess they have a book they follow as well that's similar to the Bible?
LennyeTran wrote: Last time, we had a huge argument in our world religions class about Muslims who chanted to hang the guys who did the caricatures. My teacher said one of the differences between a Buddhist, a Christian, and a Muslim is the way they show their worship. Even within each religion, there are people who worship in different ways.
Your teacher might be right but it really depends on the type of religion they're into.
Catholics and Christians both believe in the Bible, right? Now if in the Bible says that God does not like it when people worship other false gods, idols or whatever we want to call them...Why do they still do it? Isn't that stupid?
Lalee
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Lalee »

Tora wrote:I always thought that religion is a descreet agreement between you and god you worship - not the best "description" but still... why do you care about other people? follow your way and reach Heaven or whateverelse, but you can't make the world catholics and christian change! I have never read bible from cover to cover - I don't feel embarassed or something - I don't need it at this very moment - and it is my own business... like it is their own business to pray to god mary-not-vergin or idols
everyone has his own way to god
Let me ask you something, would people know all the things they know already about God if they hadn't read the Bible?
I don't think they would.
Now, Christians have a mission. They're supposed to share the Gospel to others and show them the right path. If someone is wrong about something, aren't you supposed to tell them that? They don't try to change anything. The only thing they do is letting people know that the way they believe in God is not according to what the Bible says. Now if they say they have their own way to believe in things, now that would be called stubbornness.
If they call themselves Christians, they wouldn't think that way because their beliefs are based on the Bible.
Oriani
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Oriani »

Lalee wrote:
Oriani wrote: Wow!!! How odd!! I'm Catholic and we're( my family and Venezuelan) are not like that!!! My parents used to be like those in ur country but they realized that it wasn't good.We're still Catholic, but we don't believe in those Idols :? I know some do that and I don't understand, I mean, I don't get why Catholicism adopted that belief! :(
I don't understand either, Oriani.
The only thing I know is that they have strange beliefs.
So I guess you go to church every Sunday, right? What's the first thing you see when you enter? Here most churches are scary, full of a bunch of statues.

The weirdest thing about Catholicism is that they worship Mary more than God. Why would I want to worship a woman who was just like me? The only difference between me and her is that she got chosen. She didn't remain virgin all her life so she was just a regular woman who got God's blessing and that's it.
Yes, I go to Chruch every Sunday, but fortunately me and my family don't believe such Idols! We recognize that Mary was Jesus's mom and about the Angel who told her about the baby. That's O.K; but those Saints and so on??? I don't like it.I mean, ok, they were good people when they were alive, but I don't understand why they have to be Saints and we have to pray them. Some people say that I'm not a good Catholic because of that, but why not?? I do Believe in Jesus Christ and God, I think is the most important thing. But I do love being Catholic and I respect it!!! :P
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tora »

Lalee wrote: Let me ask you something, would people know all the things they know already about God if they hadn't read the Bible?
I don't think they would.
I agree here
Lalee wrote:Now, Christians have a mission. They're supposed to share the Gospel to others and show them the right path.

Muslims say they are doing particularly the same
Lalee wrote:If someone is wrong about something, aren't you supposed to tell them that? They don't try to change anything. The only thing they do is letting people know that the way they believe in God is not according to what the Bible says. Now if they say they have their own way to believe in things, now that would be called stubbornness.
If they call themselves Christians, they wouldn't think that way because their beliefs are based on the Bible.
I guess that every religion is based on some morality - this is the basis of people behavior. here is a quote from a book (after Somerset Maugham) I found not so long time ago - it coincides with my opinion completely

Code: Select all

... You have thrown aside a creed, but you have preserved the ethic which was based upon it. To all intents you are a Christian still, and if there is a God in Heaven you will undoubtedly receive your reward. The Almighty can hardly be such a fool as the churches make out. If you keep His laws I don't think He can care a packet of pins whether you believe in Him or not...
(Of Human Bondage, chapter 45)

this is just for me when I think about praying, visiting church and all that kind of stuff true christians are supposed to do (or not supposed to according to the bible) - if you follow god's law you are true christian and not matter how you pray and how you cross yourself
Oriani
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Oriani »

Perfect. Tora! :P
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tora »

Oriani wrote:Perfect. Tora! :P
not at all :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: (my turn to turn red :P )
Oriani
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Oriani »

Tora wrote:
Oriani wrote:Perfect. Tora! :P
not at all :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: (my turn to turn red :P )
Hahaha did u see? It's easy to get blushed :P
Lalee
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Lalee »

Oriani wrote: Yes, I go to Chruch every Sunday, but fortunately me and my family don't believe such Idols! We recognize that Mary was Jesus's mom and about the Angel who told her about the baby. That's O.K; but those Saints and so on??? I don't like it.I mean, ok, they were good people when they were alive, but I don't understand why they have to be Saints and we have to pray them. Some people say that I'm not a good Catholic because of that, but why not?? I do Believe in Jesus Christ and God, I think is the most important thing. But I do love being Catholic and I respect it!!! :P
So you love being catholic even when there are some things you disagree on? Isn't that odd?
I think you like it because all your family is into it too.
Why would someone love being part of a group when he or she didn't even understand it??? :shock:
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Lalee wrote:
LennyeTran wrote: Same thing for Buddhists who worship Buddha statues and do all kinda praying. I don't think it's nonsense, though. It's just a way to show your respect. Whatever fits you!
I don't really know much about Buddhism so I can't say much about it. I guess they have a book they follow as well that's similar to the Bible?
Bunch of books, not just one like the Bible.
Lalee wrote:Your teacher might be right but it really depends on the type of religion they're into.
Catholics and Christians both believe in the Bible, right? Now if in the Bible says that God does not like it when people worship other false gods, idols or whatever we want to call them...Why do they still do it? Isn't that stupid?
But the Bible was written by men!!! For example, we know God doesn't like killing, but Christians believe in the Judgement Day. And the Bible says believe in Jesus Christ, for you'll be saved. However, what if a person who doesn't believe in Jesus Christ but a nice person and a person who believes in him but is a murder, who would be saved?
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Lalee wrote:
I don't know. I asked Chris and he said it's more about respect than worshipping. Same like you respect Mother Teresa.
Lalee
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Lalee »

LennyeTran wrote: But the Bible was written by men!!!
Not exactly. God had to use men to write it. I don't think He has hands to do it Himself. :)
Listen to this:
2 Peter 1, 20-21
20Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.
21For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

LennyeTran wrote: For example, we know God doesn't like killing, but Christians believe in the Judgement Day. And the Bible says believe in Jesus Christ, for you'll be saved. However, what if a person who doesn't believe in Jesus Christ but a nice person and a person who believes in him but is a murder, who would be saved?

Although what I'm about to say might sound unfair, it's the truth. The murderer would be saved.

God only accepts the ones who believe in His son, Jesus. To him we are the same. All human beings have good and bad sides so there's really not much difference to God.
To Him, there's only one way for people to go to heaven and that's Jesus.
And through the Bible He gives us many examples.

In Exodus 12 there's this story about the Passover.
12For I will pass through the land of Egypt this night, and will smite all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, both man and beast; and against all the gods of Egypt I will execute judgment: I am the LORD.
13And the blood shall be to you for a token upon the houses where ye are: and when I see the blood, I will pass over you, and the plague shall not be upon you to destroy you, when I smite the land of Egypt

He asked the israelites to slaughter an animal without defect and with some of its blood they had to put it on the sides and tops of the doorframes of their houses.
I bet there were nice and bad people before our eyes in those houses but, did God care about that? He only cared about the blood painted. If they saw the blood, that house got saved and if HE didn't, they were destroyed. As simple as that.
The only people who got saved were the ones who followed and believed in what God told them to do.

Even Egyptians could've gotten saved if they had believed in that.

The same goes with the story in Luke 23 about two criminals who were sentenced to death like Jesus was. Both of them were criminals and deserved to die on the cross but only one got saved. Did he do a good deed? Was he a good person? Only one of them recognized Jesus as the saviour by asking Jesus to remember him when He comes into His kingdom and we can see he got saved when Jesus told him that this criminal was going to be with Him in paradise.
Also there are more stories like these ones where God shows us that trying to be a good person will not lead us to heaven.

So we can conclude that going to heaven does not depend on our good deeds or how nice people we are.
Lalee
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Lalee »

LennyeTran wrote: I don't know. I asked Chris and he said it's more about respect than worshipping. Same like you respect Mother Teresa.
Well to me, what they do with Mary is called worship. They even dare call her "Mother of God" Like, what the heck is that?
Lalee
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Lalee »

Tora wrote: this is just for me when I think about praying, visiting church and all that kind of stuff true christians are supposed to do (or not supposed to according to the bible) - if you follow god's law you are true christian and not matter how you pray and how you cross yourself
I know what you mean but God doesn't care much what your point of view is. It sounds kind of selfish but how can we know the way we think it's right or not? How can we be 100% of that? I think He knows better than us.
Isaiah 55
8For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD.
Admiral

Post by Admiral »

The professor is always right.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Lalee wrote:
LennyeTran wrote: But the Bible was written by men!!!
Not exactly. God had to use men to write it. I don't think He has hands to do it Himself. :)
Permission to laugh, please? :lol: :lol: One question, how does God look like to you?
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Lalee wrote:
LennyeTran wrote: I don't know. I asked Chris and he said it's more about respect than worshipping. Same like you respect Mother Teresa.
Well to me, what they do with Mary is called worship. They even dare call her "Mother of God" Like, what the heck is that?
It seems like that to me, but respect can be seen as worshipping when it comes to religions. In Vietnamese, Virgin Mary is Me Maria or Me Dong Trinh (Virgin). They called her Me (Mother) Thien Chua (Jesus Christ) (Mother of Jesus Christ if you translated it). I don't know about English version. I have to ask Chris.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Lalee wrote: Although what I'm about to say might sound unfair, it's the truth. The murderer would be saved.

God only accepts the ones who believe in His son, Jesus. To him we are the same. All human beings have good and bad sides so there's really not much difference to God.
To Him, there's only one way for people to go to heaven and that's Jesus.
Yours and my cousin's and Chris's explanation are different. According to my cousin and Chris, the one who killed and believed in Jesus Christ won't be forgiven of sins; therefore, denied Heaven. The nice person who didn't believe in Jesus Christ would go to hell and would be saved to Heaven when he acknowledged Jesus Christ. They both ended up in hell for their own sins.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Lalee wrote:
The same goes with the story in Luke 23 about two criminals who were sentenced to death like Jesus was. Both of them were criminals and deserved to die on the cross but only one got saved. Did he do a good deed? Was he a good person? Only one of them recognized Jesus as the saviour by asking Jesus to remember him when He comes into His kingdom and we can see he got saved when Jesus told him that this criminal was going to be with Him in paradise.
Also there are more stories like these ones where God shows us that trying to be a good person will not lead us to heaven.

So we can conclude that going to heaven does not depend on our good deeds or how nice people we are.
You said both of them were criminals though. Not one of them was nice and one was not and the unkind person got saved because he acknowledged Jesus as a savior.
Lalee
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Lalee »

LennyeTran wrote: Yours and my cousin's and Chris's explanation are different. According to my cousin and Chris, the one who killed and believed in Jesus Christ won't be forgiven of sins; therefore, denied Heaven.
I thought Jesus came to save us from sin and hell.
So now if the murderer believed and still goes to hell..what's the point in believing in Jesus'death??
Ask them this question, if Jesus came to this earth to save us from sin, what role do we play in that sacrifice? I mean, if God says we're saved through Christ, what else is left to do?
LennyeTran wrote: The nice person who didn't believe in Jesus Christ would go to hell and would be saved to Heaven when he acknowledged Jesus Christ. They both ended up in hell for their own sins.

he would go to hell and would be saved to heaven? How can someone go to hell and then go to heaven?
Yes, both of them sinned but there's one difference between them. One believed and they other didn't. Salvation is about believing and faith rather than doing something.
Lalee
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Lalee »

LennyeTran wrote: You said both of them were criminals though. Not one of them was nice and one was not and the unkind person got saved because he acknowledged Jesus as a savior.
Uh huh so... what's your point? :?:
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Lalee wrote:
LennyeTran wrote: Yours and my cousin's and Chris's explanation are different. According to my cousin and Chris, the one who killed and believed in Jesus Christ won't be forgiven of sins; therefore, denied Heaven.
I thought Jesus came to save us from sin and hell.
So now if the murderer believed and still goes to hell..what's the point in believing in Jesus'death??
If you believe in Jesus Christ; hence, you would believe in his teaching. This is what they mean. And if you believe in his teaching, why would you go against it to kill others? They say you can't fake your way out to heaven by just saying you've acknowledged when you won't follow his teaching afterwards.

Lalee wrote:Ask them this question, if Jesus came to this earth to save us from sin, what role do we play in that sacrifice? I mean, if God says we're saved through Christ, what else is left to do?
I'm sorry, I don't quite understand. :?
Lalee wrote:
LennyeTran wrote: The nice person who didn't believe in Jesus Christ would go to hell and would be saved to Heaven when he acknowledged Jesus Christ. They both ended up in hell for their own sins.

he would go to hell and would be saved to heaven? How can someone go to hell and then go to heaven?
Yes, both of them sinned but there's one difference between them. One believed and they other didn't. Salvation is about believing and faith rather than doing something.
When he went to hell, then he would realize there was hell and heaven and there was the presence of Jesus Christ and his mind would be enlighted. Thus, when he acknowledged Jesus Christ and his teaching, he'll go to heaven.
jeffcox
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by jeffcox »

The only way to God is to praise him.

So, he's egoistic, self-centred and really loves himself.

The Bible is full of evidence to uphold this statement.

If you don't do what God says, and you don't follow his rules, and if you don't recognize him... You're really up the creek without a paddle!

So, do Christians do good things because they will get into heaven (be rewarded), which would be a very egoistic thing to do?

Why be good at all? I mean, you can be as evil and terrible as you want to be throughout your life, then at the moment you meet God, you just beg his forgiveness and BINGO, freeway to heaven.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Lalee wrote:
LennyeTran wrote: You said both of them were criminals though. Not one of them was nice and one was not and the unkind person got saved because he acknowledged Jesus as a savior.
Uh huh so... what's your point? :?:
:twisted: It doesn't look like my example. DUH, slow-ee. :lol: :lol:
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

jeffcox wrote: Why be good at all? I mean, you can be as evil and terrible as you want to be throughout your life, then at the moment you meet God, you just beg his forgiveness and BINGO, freeway to heaven.
Exactly! That's what I said to my cousin, and she said it's a wrong interpretation. Believing in Christ is a semi-guarantee ticket for you to be in heaven; however, you have to follow his teaching. Oherwise, you're just a common sinner.
Lalee
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Lalee »

LennyeTran wrote: Permission to laugh, please? :lol: :lol: One question, how does God look like to you?
I knew you were going to laugh.
What does God look like to me?
Well he definitely doesn't look like a human being. There's a part in the Bible that describes Him a little bit.
Revelation 4
2And immediately I was in the spirit: and, behold, a throne was set in heaven, and one sat on the throne.
3And he that sat was to look upon like a jasper and a sardine stone: and there was a rainbow round about the throne, in sight like unto an emerald.
Lalee
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Lalee »

LennyeTran wrote: :twisted: It doesn't look like my example. DUH, slow-ee. :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: You're contagious.
I'll look for a better example then.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Lalee wrote:
LennyeTran wrote: Permission to laugh, please? :lol: :lol: One question, how does God look like to you?
I knew you were going to laugh.
What does God look like to me?
Well he definitely doesn't look like a human being. There's a part in the Bible that describes Him a little bit.
Revelation 4
2And immediately I was in the spirit: and, behold, a throne was set in heaven, and one sat on the throne.
3And he that sat was to look upon like a jasper and a sardine stone: and there was a rainbow round about the throne, in sight like unto an emerald.
Have you seen him in your mind?
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Lalee wrote:
LennyeTran wrote: :twisted: It doesn't look like my example. DUH, slow-ee. :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: You're contagious.
I'll look for a better example then.
:twisted: Hehehehhee my cousin explained to me about that example, and it did not look like mine by the way. You'd better get another one. 8)
Lalee
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Lalee »

LennyeTran wrote: If you believe in Jesus Christ; hence, you would believe in his teaching. This is what they mean. And if you believe in his teaching, why would you go against it to kill others? They say you can't fake your way out to heaven by just saying you've acknowledged when you won't follow his teaching afterwards.
Yes, they're right. That's why I was going to say something when you gave me the example including the murderer. If someone gets saved and knows what Jesus did for them, he or she just can't be around killing people and be like, "hey, Jesus died for me and washed all my sins away so I can do the hell I want now" NO! It doesn't work that way.
LennyeTran wrote: I'm sorry, I don't quite understand. :?
OK I sense that your cousin and Chris think that people need to do good to go to heaven. If the answer is yes, why did Jesus die for them? Is it better now?
LennyeTran wrote: When he went to hell, then he would realize there was hell and heaven and there was the presence of Jesus Christ and his mind would be enlighted. Thus, when he acknowledged Jesus Christ and his teaching, he'll go to heaven.
Umm... this is weird.
I don't think people have the chance to go to heaven when they're already in hell. God gives us the chance here on earth but it's too late to realize you're actually in hell and then get saved. It doesn't work that way.
Maybe I'm not following you on this. I don't know but I'm kind of confused.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Lalee wrote:
LennyeTran wrote: If you believe in Jesus Christ; hence, you would believe in his teaching. This is what they mean. And if you believe in his teaching, why would you go against it to kill others? They say you can't fake your way out to heaven by just saying you've acknowledged when you won't follow his teaching afterwards.
Yes, they're right. That's why I was going to say something when you gave me the example including the murderer. If someone gets saved and knows what Jesus did for them, he or she just can't be around killing people and be like, "hey, Jesus died for me and washed all my sins away so I can do the hell I want now" NO! It doesn't work that way.
From what I see a nice person is a half Christian because that person does nice things for others. Is it a big deal if someone believes in Jesus Christ or not? I mean, if one believed in him and went against his teaching, that person would be even worst than the one who didn't believe in him, right?
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Lalee wrote:
LennyeTran wrote: I'm sorry, I don't quite understand. :?
OK I sense that your cousin and Chris think that people need to do good to go to heaven. If the answer is yes, why did Jesus die for them? Is it better now?
They said Jesus died for humans to understand they are sinners and need to repent of your sins and ask for forgiveness.
Lalee
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Lalee »

LennyeTran wrote: From what I see a nice person is a half Christian because that person does nice things for others. Is it a big deal if someone believes in Jesus Christ or not? I mean, if one believed in him and went against his teaching, that person would be even worst than the one who didn't believe in him, right?
I'm a Christian and I don't do nice things but I know what you mean. You're talking about following Jesus's teaching. Since he did good while he was here, his followers have to do the same thing as well, no?
Superficially we can see that he helped a lot of people. He did things like curing illnesses most of all, right? Not only did he cure their bodies but also he cured them from sin. He didn't come here to teach us to cure people but to show us how to get rid of sin.
The best thing a Christian can do is preaching the Gospel to people who are not born again yet. Jesus never gave alms to the poor. He was always preaching the Gospel everywhere he went.
What would God like better? Saving souls or saving bodies?
If a born-again Christian commits a horrible thing against God, that person does not lose salvation but when he dies, he will have problems. In the bible says that some Christians will be exalted and others will be embarrassed.
So Christianity is not about being nice but believing in Jesus' sacrifice and follow a life depending on the Lord and understanding His will in our lives.
Lalee
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Lalee »

LennyeTran wrote: :twisted: Hehehehhee my cousin explained to me about that example, and it did not look like mine by the way. You'd better get another one. 8)
OK I've got a good one.
Luke 18
9And he spake this parable unto certain which trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others:
10Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican.
11The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.
12I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.
13And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.
14I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

So the men who acknowledged himself as a sinner and a wicked person who didn't deserve God's mercy got justified.
So before receiving salvation, you need to know that you're a sinner and that you need God's help. The man who got justified asked for God's mercy.
Sin is like a wall that separates God from people that's why God wants them to get rid of it.
Lalee
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Lalee »

LennyeTran wrote: They said Jesus died for humans to understand they are sinners and need to repent of your sins and ask for forgiveness.
Moses' Law is what makes people understand they're sinners not Jesus' death.
Romans 3
20Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

And how do they repent? What do they do?
Also if Jesus died for humans and through his death God forgave us all our sins, then why would people need to ask for forgiveness again? :shock:
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Lalee wrote: So Christianity is not about being nice but believing in Jesus' sacrifice and follow a life depending on the Lord and understanding His will in our lives.
I find it a bit contradictory. According to my cousin and Chris, Jesus was born because humans were in the path towards Satan instead of God. They thought they were better than God. They had no conscience. And they felt no remorse. Thus, God promised one would be saved if that person believed in Christ and followed his teaching.

If one understood his teaching and his sacrifice, then one should be nice others because that's what his teaching is all about, isn't it? If one understood all these above and couldn't be nice to others, how would it work? Isn't it a hypocritical thought? I mean, "yeah, I understand his teaching, but do I have to be nice because I'm just a human being?" And then one ends up not being nice. Then ask for forgiveness on the Judgement Day because they understand why Jesus was here on earth?!?!?!?!?!??!!?
Lalee
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Lalee »

LennyeTran wrote: Thus, God promised one would be saved if that person believed in Christ and followed his teaching.
Uh huh.
LennyeTran wrote: If one understood his teaching and his sacrifice, then one should be nice others because that's what his teaching is all about, isn't it?

Not exactly.
Read this: Luke 4
16And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read.
17And there was delivered unto him the book of the prophet Esaias. And when he had opened the book, he found the place where it was written,
18The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,
19To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.
20And he closed the book, and he gave it again to the minister, and sat down. And the eyes of all them that were in the synagogue were fastened on him.

In verse 18 we can clearly see what Jesus did while he lived on earth. Through all those things, he wanted to show people that their souls were sick with sin and that they needed someone who could cure them from sin.
Jesus also called some people serpents, and generation of vipers and insulted them somehow. Was he being nice to them? He just wanted to show them how wrong they were.
Also His followers were His disciples and we can see through the Bible that their only duty was preaching the Gospel to others. It was not about being nice to others. Most of them left their families to follow Jesus.
So his teaching was not about being nice but showing people that their lives were being led by Satan and that He was there to help them.

LennyeTran wrote: If one understood all these above and couldn't be nice to others, how would it work? Isn't it a hypocritical thought? I mean, "yeah, I understand his teaching, but do I have to be nice because I'm just a human being?" And then one ends up not being nice. Then ask for forgiveness on the Judgement Day because they understand why Jesus was here on earth?!?!?!?!?!??!!?
Where does it say in the Bible that we can ask for forgiveness on the Judgement Day?
God gives us the chance here to get saved through Jesus and when you die sure all people will get to that day and that's when God sends you to heaven or hell. God is the judge, Jesus your defender, the devil your accuser and you the accused.

Christians are people whose job is sharing the Gospel with others, if they do that they're following Jesus's teaching.
Why would God care if you're nice to others or not when He already knows you can't do good? We think we do good but we don't. Before our eyes, some people are good and others are bad but before God's sight, all of us are bad. We say that we have good and bad sides but it doesn't work that way for Him. We're bad period. That's why God can't accept our sacrifice. He needs something perfect. You know that the wages of sin is death, right? So since we're born with sin, we just can't do anything for ourselves to get rid of it because we're like infected and we can't die for our sins either. That's when Jesus comes. Since he's perfect, God can accept his death.
It can be complicated to understand God's heart or the way He sees things but we just live in different worlds.
Can a cockroach understand our world?
jeffcox
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by jeffcox »

LennyeTran is correct in saying that it's a bit contradictory.

The bible says that we must repent our sins first. Only then, can we be judged on how we followed the teachings of Jesus and be given forgiveness by God.

But there are so many stories in the bible that contradict this statement, as have already been told here, where people have repented their sins and were given God's blessing, even though they did not follow Jesus's teachings.

There are so many, in fact, that it would be more logical to believe that repenting our sins provides a free ticket to heaven.
jeffcox
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by jeffcox »

Lalee wrote:We're bad period. That's why God can't accept our sacrifice. He needs something perfect. You know that the wages of sin is death, right? So since we're born with sin, we just can't do anything for ourselves to get rid of it because we're like infected and we can't die for our sins either.
That's right. From the moment after we're born, we're all sinners. Damned from the start!

God wants us to be perfect. The only way we can be perfect is to do what He wants and beg Him for mercy. He gives us the ability to think and make decisions and blames us if we don't do what He wants... that's really sick.

He wants us all to be yes-boys, brown-nosers, and bless Him for all that He does for us. In other words, He has to be superior... everything that the bible teaches us is a sin. Therefore, God is a sinner and does not deserve our blessing.

Logic is a wonderful gift... from God :?: :twisted:
BrianFitz

Spirituality VS Religion

Post by BrianFitz »

I have browsed through bits of this thread, and I have to say I am saddened and I can now understand why there are holy wars. Purhaps I did not read the postings where people where having intelligent dialogues about religions. Some seem only to be spewing the doctrine so ingrained in the heads since by there religious communities they cloud their judgement with what is right and wrong. Religion has caused such a great divide in all acroos the globe. It's funny to think that Crusaders went to fight muslims because they Believed in the same god they just had different ways of worship. Stupid. Religion blinds people. I know I look at the catholic Family In which I was raised and see the vail of ignorance it cast on me my twelve years of catholic school. There is no one true religion, only one true God. How you coose to worship that God is matter of your own faith and your own understanding of who God is. And don't let anyone take that from you, Not With Bible quotes or Tiraids from a pulpit. No Spiritually leader is closer to God than you are. No one was made great than the other. Keep your religion if you want, I still go to a Catholic Churc but I don't buy everything they sell. Yes, Religion is a busness. I buy what I like and you may say that is convienent and you would be right. I like what makes me feel good and I feel good about it because it is what I feel god wants me to choose.
No I haven't read the bible cover to cover, maybe some day I will. But I am not going to spend years of my life Justing any religion because I was told it was the best religion the one true religion- All religions believe this in one way or another.
I have study several world religions and I have come to discover some claring similarities. I wont tell you what they are as you should look to do the same.
So enough talk about the Bible (a great book written by fallible men) and enough about Catholics and Christians and muslims and buddhists and angostics and enough about who is right and wrong, God can only tell you that. So my advice to is to have faith; have faith in God, Buddha, Alah, mankind,yourself. You decide. It doesn't matter which one you choose as I believe if you believe in anything you believe in God (an omnipotent power that is every where all the time). So stop bickering and start believing...believing is something...anything Just believe. "Spirituality Unites, Religions divide"
BrianFitz

Spirituality VS Religion con

Post by BrianFitz »

s"
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Lalee wrote:
In verse 18 we can clearly see what Jesus did while he lived on earth. Through all those things, he wanted to show people that their souls were sick with sin and that they needed someone who could cure them from sin.
Because to him they were indeed sinners. From what I know about the Bible, only Jesus was allowed to join God in heaven without being judged. He was born pure from all sins. Hence, he was a savior to guide people out of their sins.
Lalee wrote:Jesus also called some people serpents, and generation of vipers and insulted them somehow. Was he being nice to them? He just wanted to show them how wrong they were.
My being nice is not about the fake talks, the let's make love not wars ~. My being nice is thou shalt not murder or whatever the ten commandments are. Or a little more to it. A good conscience, good judgement, good common sense, you know.

This is why I said a nice person is already a half Christian. And I don't see anything is wrong with not recognizing Jesus as a savior. I mean, if you live a life with no regret, no shame, no whatsoever, do you need someone to tell you that you're a sinner? I mean, what's the use of living a life without any harm done and being called a sinner?

I once asked my cousin what about monks who don't recognize Jesus as a savior. Would they go to hell or heaven? She said hell. I asked her why. She said because they don't recognize Jesus as a savior. I told her it's not a crime, though. Why would they have to be in hell to feel all ther remorse that they didn't recognize Jesus? Doesn't that mean God likes to punish more than judging you for who you are? :twisted: And a bit of a control freak, I might say. Punish those who don't believe in his work....
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Lalee wrote: Where does it say in the Bible that we can ask for forgiveness on the Judgement Day?
God gives us the chance here to get saved through Jesus and when you die sure all people will get to that day and that's when God sends you to heaven or hell. God is the judge, Jesus your defender, the devil your accuser and you the accused.
You just answered your own question, silly.
Lalee wrote:Why would God care if you're nice to others or not when He already knows you can't do good?
Isn't it a bit contradictory to what Jesus was meant to be here on earth? I mean, wasn't it a total waste of time for him to acknowledge ignorants when he was given the message that people should be ignored? Why would God send Jesus to help humans with their sins when he alread knew they would end up repeating their sins? So was Jesus here just to tell people how sinful they were and not in a mean of a second chance for humans? :?
Lalee wrote:We think we do good but we don't. Before our eyes, some people are good and others are bad but before God's sight, all of us are bad.
It doesn't matter what we've done?
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

jeffcox wrote:LennyeTran is correct in saying that it's a bit contradictory.

The bible says that we must repent our sins first. Only then, can we be judged on how we followed the teachings of Jesus and be given forgiveness by God.
This is what I thought.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: Spirituality VS Religion

Post by MissLT »

BrianFitz wrote: So enough talk about the Bible (a great book written by fallible men) and enough about Catholics and Christians and muslims and buddhists and angostics and enough about who is right and wrong, God can only tell you that.
Thank you. We've been having a good conversation so far about the Bible. If you feel like joining in, be our guest. Otherwise, please leave us with our conversation. We have no hostility towards each other even we're talking about the Bible right now. She doesn't tell me her religion is the truest, or she doesn't tell me to check her sites to get the "right" information. Same thing with others in this topic. Thus, I'm pretty okay to discuss with them.
Danyet
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Danyet »

BrianFitz, you sound like a real idiot. You admit that you have not even read the Bible and then attempt to tell us that we have said enough on the subject!

Not only that you assign incorrect motives to the Crusaders. The Crusaders did not worship the same God. The Biblical God's name is "Yahwey". The Muslim god is "Allah" which predates Mohammed as a spirit worshiped by early pagan Arabs.

Lastly, Crusaders were urged on by the political need the fight back the Muslim hordes that had already infected southern Europe and were on the threshold of the Vatican in Rome.
You are the prime example of "a little knowlege is dangerous".
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

danyet wrote:BrianFitz, you sound like a real idiot. You admit that you have not even read the Bible and then attempt to tell us that we have said enough on the subject!

Not only that you assign incorrect motives to the Crusaders. The Crusaders did not worship the same God. The Biblical God's name is "Yahwey". The Muslim god is "Allah" which predates Mohammed as a spirit worshiped by early pagan Arabs.

Lastly, Crusaders were urged on by the political need the fight back the Muslim hordes that had already infected southern Europe and were on the threshold of the Vatican in Rome.
You are the prime example of "a little knowlege is dangerous".
You just can't help yourself, can you? If you ruined it, I'd ask you to leave, too. Don't you dare ruining it, babe. I have sharp teeth and know how to bite. :twisted: