About Bible

Post or ask for ideas and opinions about different subjects here.

Moderators: Vega, EC

andes
Silver Member

Postby andes » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:49 am

all i know about bible is just:
it will tell you the truth and the way of eternal life in the name of Jesus christ...

MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby MissLT » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:39 am

andes wrote:all i know about bible is just:
it will tell you the truth and the way of eternal life in the name of Jesus christ...

Good for you.

jeffcox
Gold Member

Postby jeffcox » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:53 am

Andes wrote:
all i know about bible is just:

Oh boy, you really need a bible to do that? The bible was written by a bunch of blokes. It's not a book, it's a collection of writings. These writings were chosen because someone happened to like those ones. The others were ignored because he didn't like those.

Consider the bible, you'd have to consider all of those writings. Exacly which bible are you reading that shows you the truth that that guy decided was the truth?

Interesting, uh?

andes
Silver Member

Postby andes » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:57 am

should be good for all..

MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby MissLT » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:11 pm

andes wrote:should be good for all..

I don't believe in it, but you do. Thus, good for you.

jeffcox
Gold Member

Postby jeffcox » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:39 pm

LennyeTran Wrote: I don't believe in it, but you do. Thus, good for you.

Is it enough just to believe in something? Many people commit atrocious acts because they believe in the reason.

Shouldn't we always question what we believe? Shouldn't we always challenge our own concepts and prejudice?

Recently, some research showed that what we 'believe' can affect our rationality and logical thought processes. When our brain is involved in belief or preference, the parts that control belief or preference become active, but so do the parts that control our emotions. So, our concepts, decisions and preferences are often blurred by our emotions. Remember Spock, the Vulcan, from Startreck; he was always complaining about this. Finally it has been proven by the use of cat scans.

So, read the Bible, by all means. But don't take it all on blind faith. Try to analyse it and criticize it as much as you can. Try to destroy its arguments. When you've tried really hard to do that and you still beleive in it, at least your belief is well founded on logical argument and not floating in the air.

Of course, it will still be 'faith' or 'belief', because there is no real proof presented to show that God exists. You will still be relying on 'belief' but you've tried to get as near to the truth as you can and be less prejudicial as you can. At least you're trying to leave the cave. (A reference to Plato, not an insult).

MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby MissLT » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:53 am

Uh huh.

Lalee
Platinum Member

Postby Lalee » Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:29 am

I've read the Bible twice and I think it's a great book. It's full of wisdom.
Christians should always read the bible. If people would read it, they wouldn't believe in lies like Virgin Mary or they wouldn't hang pictures of so- called "saints" on their walls, lit candles and pray to them. That's just silly and nonsense. They can't do anything to help them.
Anyway, it would be good if you knew more about it.
Although it seems like a huge and boring book, it is not.
Through it God wants to show us the right path to salvation. Actually it's very easy to receive it. God doesn't ask too much from us.
Too bad people nowadays think that they need to be good and do good deeds to get eternal life.
Anyhow, read the bible. It's cool. :)

Tora
Rough Diamond Member

Postby Tora » Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:22 pm

Lalee wrote: If people would read it, they wouldn't believe in lies like Virgin Mary or they wouldn't hang pictures of so- called "saints" on their walls, lit candles and pray to them. That's just silly and nonsense.

wowowow!! can this be reffered to orthodox christianity?? I am not religious but can't keep silent when... I can :lol: Is it so important - all our believes and religions? does it really matter? you are a young and nice girl why to put you mind full of that religions and so on? :?

Lalee
Platinum Member

Postby Lalee » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:49 pm

Tora wrote:wowowow!! can this be reffered to orthodox christianity?? I am not religious but can't keep silent when... I can :lol: Is it so important - all our believes and religions? does it really matter? you are a young and nice girl why to put you mind full of that religions and so on? :?

It doesn't matter if I'm young or old. It just bugs me when people follow others without knowing if what they're following is right or not.
For instance, catholics here like to pray to idols which are statues of dead people called saints. Why don't they pray to God instead of those idols? Isn't God powerful enough to help them? They think they're true believers but there they are worshipping false gods.
Now if they read the bible, they would know that their church follows lots of beliefs the Bible is against.

Oriani
Miss EnglishClub.com 2007

Postby Oriani » Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:21 pm

Lalee wrote:
Tora wrote:wowowow!! can this be reffered to orthodox christianity?? I am not religious but can't keep silent when... I can :lol: Is it so important - all our believes and religions? does it really matter? you are a young and nice girl why to put you mind full of that religions and so on? :?

It doesn't matter if I'm young or old. It just bugs me when people follow others without knowing if what they're following is right or not.
For instance, catholics here like to pray to idols which are statues of dead people called saints. Why don't they pray to God instead of those idols? Isn't God powerful enough to help them? They think they're true believers but there they are worshipping false gods.
Now if they read the bible, they would know that their church follows lots of beliefs the Bible is against.

Wow!!! How odd!! I'm Catholic and we're( my family and Venezuelan) are not like that!!! My parents used to be like those in ur country but they realized that it wasn't good.We're still Catholic, but we don't believe in those Idols :? I know some do that and I don't understand, I mean, I don't get why Catholicism adopted that belief! :(

MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby MissLT » Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:35 pm

Lalee wrote:For instance, catholics here like to pray to idols which are statues of dead people called saints. Why don't they pray to God instead of those idols? Isn't God powerful enough to help them? They think they're true believers but there they are worshipping false gods.

Same thing for Buddhists who worship Buddha statues and do all kinda praying. I don't think it's nonsense, though. It's just a way to show your respect. Whatever fits you!

Last time, we had a huge argument in our world religions class about Muslims who chanted to hang the guys who did the caricatures. My teacher said one of the differences between a Buddhist, a Christian, and a Muslim is the way they show their worship. Even within each religion, there are people who worship in different ways.

Lalee
Platinum Member

Postby Lalee » Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:39 pm

Oriani wrote:Wow!!! How odd!! I'm Catholic and we're( my family and Venezuelan) are not like that!!! My parents used to be like those in ur country but they realized that it wasn't good.We're still Catholic, but we don't believe in those Idols :? I know some do that and I don't understand, I mean, I don't get why Catholicism adopted that belief! :(

I don't understand either, Oriani.
The only thing I know is that they have strange beliefs.
So I guess you go to church every Sunday, right? What's the first thing you see when you enter? Here most churches are scary, full of a bunch of statues.

The weirdest thing about Catholicism is that they worship Mary more than God. Why would I want to worship a woman who was just like me? The only difference between me and her is that she got chosen. She didn't remain virgin all her life so she was just a regular woman who got God's blessing and that's it.

Tora
Rough Diamond Member

Postby Tora » Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:47 pm

I always thought that religion is a descreet agreement between you and god you worship - not the best "description" but still... why do you care about other people? follow your way and reach Heaven or whateverelse, but you can't make the world catholics and christian change! I have never read bible from cover to cover - I don't feel embarassed or something - I don't need it at this very moment - and it is my own business... like it is their own business to pray to god mary-not-vergin or idols
everyone has his own way to god
Last edited by Tora on Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lalee
Platinum Member

Postby Lalee » Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:48 pm

LennyeTran wrote:Same thing for Buddhists who worship Buddha statues and do all kinda praying. I don't think it's nonsense, though. It's just a way to show your respect. Whatever fits you!

I don't really know much about Buddhism so I can't say much about it. I guess they have a book they follow as well that's similar to the Bible?

LennyeTran wrote:Last time, we had a huge argument in our world religions class about Muslims who chanted to hang the guys who did the caricatures. My teacher said one of the differences between a Buddhist, a Christian, and a Muslim is the way they show their worship. Even within each religion, there are people who worship in different ways.

Your teacher might be right but it really depends on the type of religion they're into.
Catholics and Christians both believe in the Bible, right? Now if in the Bible says that God does not like it when people worship other false gods, idols or whatever we want to call them...Why do they still do it? Isn't that stupid?

Lalee
Platinum Member

Postby Lalee » Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:02 pm

Tora wrote:I always thought that religion is a descreet agreement between you and god you worship - not the best "description" but still... why do you care about other people? follow your way and reach Heaven or whateverelse, but you can't make the world catholics and christian change! I have never read bible from cover to cover - I don't feel embarassed or something - I don't need it at this very moment - and it is my own business... like it is their own business to pray to god mary-not-vergin or idols
everyone has his own way to god

Let me ask you something, would people know all the things they know already about God if they hadn't read the Bible?
I don't think they would.
Now, Christians have a mission. They're supposed to share the Gospel to others and show them the right path. If someone is wrong about something, aren't you supposed to tell them that? They don't try to change anything. The only thing they do is letting people know that the way they believe in God is not according to what the Bible says. Now if they say they have their own way to believe in things, now that would be called stubbornness.
If they call themselves Christians, they wouldn't think that way because their beliefs are based on the Bible.

Oriani

Postby Oriani » Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:13 pm

Lalee wrote:
Oriani wrote:Wow!!! How odd!! I'm Catholic and we're( my family and Venezuelan) are not like that!!! My parents used to be like those in ur country but they realized that it wasn't good.We're still Catholic, but we don't believe in those Idols :? I know some do that and I don't understand, I mean, I don't get why Catholicism adopted that belief! :(

I don't understand either, Oriani.
The only thing I know is that they have strange beliefs.
So I guess you go to church every Sunday, right? What's the first thing you see when you enter? Here most churches are scary, full of a bunch of statues.

The weirdest thing about Catholicism is that they worship Mary more than God. Why would I want to worship a woman who was just like me? The only difference between me and her is that she got chosen. She didn't remain virgin all her life so she was just a regular woman who got God's blessing and that's it.

Yes, I go to Chruch every Sunday, but fortunately me and my family don't believe such Idols! We recognize that Mary was Jesus's mom and about the Angel who told her about the baby. That's O.K; but those Saints and so on??? I don't like it.I mean, ok, they were good people when they were alive, but I don't understand why they have to be Saints and we have to pray them. Some people say that I'm not a good Catholic because of that, but why not?? I do Believe in Jesus Christ and God, I think is the most important thing. But I do love being Catholic and I respect it!!! :P

Tora
Rough Diamond Member

Postby Tora » Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:20 pm

Lalee wrote:Let me ask you something, would people know all the things they know already about God if they hadn't read the Bible?
I don't think they would.

I agree here

Lalee wrote:Now, Christians have a mission. They're supposed to share the Gospel to others and show them the right path.

Muslims say they are doing particularly the same

Lalee wrote:If someone is wrong about something, aren't you supposed to tell them that? They don't try to change anything. The only thing they do is letting people know that the way they believe in God is not according to what the Bible says. Now if they say they have their own way to believe in things, now that would be called stubbornness.
If they call themselves Christians, they wouldn't think that way because their beliefs are based on the Bible.

I guess that every religion is based on some morality - this is the basis of people behavior. here is a quote from a book (after Somerset Maugham) I found not so long time ago - it coincides with my opinion completely

Code: Select all

... You have thrown aside a creed, but you have preserved the ethic which was based upon it. To all intents you are a Christian still, and if there is a God in Heaven you will undoubtedly receive your reward. The Almighty can hardly be such a fool as the churches make out. If you keep His laws I don't think He can care a packet of pins whether you believe in Him or not...

(Of Human Bondage, chapter 45)

this is just for me when I think about praying, visiting church and all that kind of stuff true christians are supposed to do (or not supposed to according to the bible) - if you follow god's law you are true christian and not matter how you pray and how you cross yourself

Oriani

Postby Oriani » Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:39 pm

Perfect. Tora! :P

Tora
Rough Diamond Member

Postby Tora » Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:42 pm

Oriani wrote:Perfect. Tora! :P

not at all :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: (my turn to turn red :P )

Oriani

Postby Oriani » Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:46 pm

Tora wrote:
Oriani wrote:Perfect. Tora! :P

not at all :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: (my turn to turn red :P )

Hahaha did u see? It's easy to get blushed :P

Return to “Ideas and Opinions”