At what age should children be told about sex?

Post or ask for ideas and opinions about different subjects here.

Moderators: Vega, EC

Admiral

Postby Admiral » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:29 am

if there are no taboos then everyone will run around naked, that's not good either.

User avatar
Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006
Posts: 6337
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:08 pm
Status: English Teacher
Location: Catalunya
Contact:

Postby Dixie » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:52 am

Admiral wrote:if there are no taboos then everyone will run around naked, that's not good either.


I think you understood perfectly what I meant.

User avatar
Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member
Posts: 1201
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:40 am
Location: Australia

Postby Shazzam » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:03 am

I think children should be given information about sex when they start to question. If you have a good relationship with your children they will come to you with their questions. Which mine did! Then you can release the information gradually as required without overwhelming them with it all at once. It is all about being a on hand parent.

Hardi
Rough Diamond Member
Posts: 1222
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:44 pm
Status: Other
Location: European Union

Postby Hardi » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:02 am

Well my mom had no problems to explain it, when I was keep ask.

User avatar
hoanggia
Silver Member
Posts: 80
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:56 pm
Status: English Learner
Location: HCM-Vn
Contact:

Postby hoanggia » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:09 pm

Obviously you got a terrific mom! my parents havent told me anything .I learnt this from books .here asking about sex is considered as a taboo because ..after all, we are Asian.In our culture, it 's like a prohibition or bad thing to talk about . :?:

Hardi
Rough Diamond Member
Posts: 1222
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:44 pm
Status: Other
Location: European Union

Postby Hardi » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:12 pm

In all asian countryea?! Can't believe, some asian country must be difrent too.

User avatar
Arale
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board
Posts: 755
Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 7:05 am
Status: English Learner
Location: Vietnam

Postby Arale » Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:21 am

hoanggia wrote:Obviously you got a terrific mom! my parents havent told me anything .I learnt this from books .here asking about sex is considered as a taboo because ..after all, we are Asian.In our culture, it 's like a prohibition or bad thing to talk about . :?:


Really? :roll: Perhaps it's your generation. The young now are taught about genders and sex at school. The importance is how to teach it. It's not a taboo. Parents don't often talk about it because it's sensitive but at school, teachers know how to deal with it. As I said in my previous post, students in Vietnam (in cities) are taught about genders and sex by biology teachers, doctors, and psychologists.

_Arale_

User avatar
andes
Silver Member
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:56 am
Location: Indonesia

Postby andes » Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:35 am

my parents also never tell me about sex. I know it from book, and other stuff that can 'help' you to explore information about sex.
It is important for parents to tell their children about sex earlier (maybe at 10). I think that it is too risky for the children to learn about sex without any guidance from the adults. you know what I mean..

sunlove
Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:52 am

Postby sunlove » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:07 am

As I was 5 years old, I always asked my Mom the same silly question :" Where did I come from". At first, my Mom didn't answer me because she said I was too young to know.You know, it's really embraasing thing to talk about, especially 5-year-old girl like me. When I become older, my Mom began talking about sex. Now I know more about sex and relationships. I'm proud of my mother. Mom, I love you!!!

User avatar
Romantic
Gold Member
Posts: 109
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:34 am
Location: Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Contact:

Postby Romantic » Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:09 pm

have sex when ur di** stand up :twisted:

User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
Posts: 3939
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Postby MissLT » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:45 am

Dixie wrote:If the kids turn into teens and don't ask their parents about sex, maybe it's the parents turn to step in and explain some things to their children. I think it's very important that parents and kids talk about EVERYTHING, and not leaving some topics aside. Kids should know that they can trust their parents and ask them anything.

I never asked my mom about this kinda stuff. For some weird reason I just never bought the "you were inside a flower, and your brother/sister was inside a clam when we took you home" story. I started to know the truth on my own through books and teen magazines. Strange that people I know have gone through the same track.

Last time, one of my friends told me she and her husband secretly "hid" pamphlets about sex and diseases in some places in the house that would get their daughter's attention. That was how they dealt with this kinda issue with their daughter. I think I'm gonna try this way on my kids in the future.

Dixie wrote:My parents never talked to us about sex. It was like a taboo thing. I remember when I was small and we were all watching a movie and there came a kissing scene, my dad would take the remote and change the channel. Nobody would say anything, which was even worse.

When Vanilla Sky was out in DVD, we rented the movie home to watch. The adults in our family were wondering what "kinda" movie we were watching when they saw the part Penelope was naked in bed with Tom Cruise. :lol: :lol: We had to remind them we were all over 18.

Dixie wrote:I would like them to be more open and try to talk to their kids about any subject. There should be no taboos in a family or a society.

I just hope my kids would not come to me and ask, "Mom, how did you make me?"

User avatar
Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006
Posts: 6337
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:08 pm
Status: English Teacher
Location: Catalunya
Contact:

Postby Dixie » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:34 pm

LennyeTran wrote:I just hope my kids would not come to me and ask, "Mom, how did you make me?"


I think it's pretty normal if they do :D And you shouldn't be embarrassed to explain. It's something natural after all, so there should be no problems to talk about sex.

User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
Posts: 3939
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Postby MissLT » Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:47 pm

I'm not embarrassed about it. I just think this is something they should try to understand it through books. I will do my part to help their confusion by secrectly slipping in their pockets pamphlets about safe sex, sexual transmitted diseases, wet dreams, body gone through changes, etc. I'm not gonna wait for them to ask questions.

saopalo
Member
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:54 am
Contact:

Postby saopalo » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:47 am

Nowadays.children want to know what are sex>>>>Especially are students.And parents don't know that....And Sex maybe are popular in secondary school..IDEAS??

User avatar
babara
Gold Member
Posts: 397
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:29 pm
Location: Thailand

Postby babara » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:39 am

My parent never told me about this but I think you should tell children when they have understanding enough about it and control themself.

User avatar
Rui
Gold Member
Posts: 477
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:41 am
Location: World, Portugal, Porto, Maia
Contact:

Postby Rui » Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:48 pm

LennyeTran wrote:I'm not embarrassed about it. I just think this is something they should try to understand it through books. I will do my part to help their confusion by secrectly slipping in their pockets pamphlets about safe sex, sexual transmitted diseases, wet dreams, body gone through changes, etc. I'm not gonna wait for them to ask questions.


sorry but i must tell you that your position its a bit old fashion, my god... you are saying that you will avoid your kids whenever they try to talk about sex?! im surprised about that, specially coming from you, when i mean talk about sex im not saying that you should tell them where do you like to do it or how, but yes all the precautions they should play attention due to the huge number of problems they could have with the lack of information.

User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
Posts: 3939
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Postby MissLT » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:44 pm

Rui wrote:
LennyeTran wrote:I'm not embarrassed about it. I just think this is something they should try to understand it through books. I will do my part to help their confusion by secrectly slipping in their pockets pamphlets about safe sex, sexual transmitted diseases, wet dreams, body gone through changes, etc. I'm not gonna wait for them to ask questions.


sorry but i must tell you that your position its a bit old fashion, my god... you are saying that you will avoid your kids whenever they try to talk about sex?! im surprised about that, specially coming from you, when i mean talk about sex im not saying that you should tell them where do you like to do it or how, but yes all the precautions they should play attention due to the huge number of problems they could have with the lack of information.

Maybe I will change in the future, but right now my mind is set on no talk sex when my kids are not teenagers, and no sexual activities when they're not over 18.

If they're under 13 and wanted to know, they have the permission to wander through books. If they wanted to hear from me, I'm not gonna give them the answers they wanted. Instead, I'll make them understand the whole course of human body and STD's well. Then, they'll get to know what the heck is Kama Sutra when they're teens. :twisted:

User avatar
sweethuman
Rough Diamond Member
Posts: 1144
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 7:18 am
Status: Other
Contact:

Re: At what age should children be told about sex?

Postby sweethuman » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:39 am

I think now adays no need to tell them about sex, you can ask them about sex, they are all master trainers. :lol: :lol:


Return to “Ideas and Opinions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests