Job for English's leaner.

Post or ask for ideas and opinions about different subjects here.

Moderators: Vega, EC

mybikiny
Silver Member

Job for English's leaner.

Postby mybikiny » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:20 am

I heard someone tell me that "English is not a job, it's only tool for you to get a good job" :shock: and i am wondering if your major is English,what do you think about it. Learn another thing to support for your Englsih's major or keep learning English . Tell me your opinion. :|

Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006

Re: Job for English's leaner.

Postby Dixie » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:44 am

I've got a degree in English Philology, and now I'm an English teacher. I teach English, but I also learn at the same time. It's difficult to master a language that is not your mother tongue, especially when that language is not official in the place you live and you don't get the chance to practise it every day. That's why I keep learning.

Of course English is not a job, it's a language :D I agree with that saying of yours: "English is not a job, it's only tool for you to get a good job". Nowadays, the more languages you speak, the better, and if one of them is English, great.

Vega
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby Vega » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:08 pm

mybikiny wrote:I heard someone tell me that "English is not a job, it's only tool for you to get a good job" :shock: and i am wondering if your major is English,what do you think about it. Learn another thing to support for your Englsih's major or keep learning English . Tell me your opinion. :|

English isn't my major and that proverb can be applicable on/to me. If English is your major, I think you can work as a teacher and don't need learn something else. However, if you're a top manager of a big company, you will have to also learn some Asian languages, Chinese for instance. That's because it's economy is fast growing and a lot of western companies prefers to concentrate their businesses there due to they don't have to pay higher salary for local people.

Bambang
Rough Diamond Member

Postby Bambang » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:00 pm

I wish the international language were not English.
We're all friends, right?

sweets
Rough Diamond Member

Postby sweets » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:20 am

what u suggest to be insteadof English uncle :roll:
دخلت حياتي كنسمة وخرجت منها كإعصار

Melek
Gold Member

Postby Melek » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:19 pm

yes,English is my major,my faculty at the University where I study.English is not the job for me,it's the object of my study.After graduation I will work& use it& I'll get money from it,then English will be my job))

sweets
Rough Diamond Member

Postby sweets » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:33 pm

well melek
iam also student of english and it's my major but when when i get a job english is only a gate to find a job except if i continue my master in english litrature. may be iam going to be be a lecturer who knows :roll:

good evening ever body
دخلت حياتي كنسمة وخرجت منها كإعصار

mybikiny
Silver Member

Postby mybikiny » Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:14 am

And what's about salary :D . Do you think of big salary while you are working as English's teacher :cry: . Or the love with your major :D . Tell me more :roll: .

Dixie

Postby Dixie » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:17 am

mybikiny wrote:And what's about salary :D . Do you think of big salary while you are working as English's teacher :cry: . Or the love with your major :D . Tell me more :roll: .

Teachers have a good salary in my country, but the work is no piece of cake. However, I've heard that in other countries, like China, teachers have a quite low salary.

Bambang
Rough Diamond Member

Postby Bambang » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:49 pm

sweets wrote:what u suggest to be insteadof English uncle :roll:

I would create my own language if I still had the time.

Melek
Gold Member

Postby Melek » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:12 pm

sweets wrote:well melek
iam also student of english and it's my major but when when i get a job english is only a gate to find a job except if i continue my master in english litrature. may be iam going to be be a lecturer who knows :roll:

good evening ever body

well,Sweets.I dont know about your country ,but in my country the teacher's salary is very low & they are always complaining.Thats why the brilliant graduaters never stay at University & teach.They prefer the another jobs with much more salary.Thats why some Universuties are mushroomed with unexperienced teachers.& the experienced ones work as a home tutors as an extra work.As for me I dont plan to teach neither at University nor at school.

bRCu

Postby bRCu » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:45 pm

hi!
i'm in tourism.and english is very important in this job.i'm gonna prep school.at the begining,i thought that it's very difficult,but now i think it's a requirement..only not english of course! more!french and spanish..
i'm interested in them at these time because i must!

can english be a job? why not? as s result,is it a language everyone must know??

mybikiny
Silver Member

Postby mybikiny » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:03 am

I've agreed with your opinion, melek. In my country too, My good teacher who taught me English told me that they never want to be a teacher anymore beacause of low salary. All my teacher are working in foreign company now. I supposed to be a teacher before but not now. I quite want to be an employee than an English's teacher. :(

Bambang
Rough Diamond Member

Postby Bambang » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:28 pm

mybikiny wrote:I've agreed with your opinion, melek. In my country too, My good teacher who taught me English told me that they never want to be a teacher anymore beacause of low salary. All my teacher are working in foreign company now. I supposed to be a teacher before but not now. I quite want to be an employee than an English's teacher. :(

Who will be an English teacher then?

Dixie

Postby Dixie » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:17 pm

mybikiny wrote:I've agreed with your opinion, melek. In my country too, My good teacher who taught me English told me that they never want to be a teacher anymore beacause of low salary. All my teacher are working in foreign company now. I supposed to be a teacher before but not now. I quite want to be an employee than an English's teacher. :(

Where are you from?

mybikiny
Silver Member

Postby mybikiny » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:08 am

Vietnam, and you, Dixie. :?:

Dixie

Postby Dixie » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:47 am

mybikiny wrote:Vietnam, and you, Dixie. :?:

Catalonia. I was just asking, because, like I said above, teachers have a pretty good salary here, although the job isn't easy.

Bambang
Rough Diamond Member

Postby Bambang » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:48 pm

Dixie wrote:
mybikiny wrote:Vietnam, and you, Dixie. :?:

Catalonia. I was just asking, because, like I said above, teachers have a pretty good salary here, although the job isn't easy.

You are lucky, Dix.

Dixie

Postby Dixie » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:28 pm

Bambang wrote:You are lucky, Dix.

I am lucky now that I've finally found a good job, not part-time jobs in language schools like I had until last year. Let's say I am in a good professional moment right now.

Yes, it's true that teachers have good salaries here, but like I said the job is not easy. Teenagers are TERRIBLE! Especially in public schools -I work in a private school-. They don't know what education or good manners mean, don't have neither show any interesting in the class, talk, listen to music or play games while the teacher is trying to explain a lesson, etc.

Bambang
Rough Diamond Member

Postby Bambang » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:31 pm

Dixie wrote:
Bambang wrote:You are lucky, Dix.

I am lucky now that I've finally found a good job, not part-time jobs in language schools like I had until last year. Let's say I am in a good professional moment right now.

Yes, it's true that teachers have good salaries here, but like I said the job is not easy. Teenagers are TERRIBLE! Especially in public schools -I work in a private school-. They don't know what education or good manners mean, don't have neither show any interesting in the class, talk, listen to music or play games while the teacher is trying to explain a lesson, etc.

You deserve the high payment. Congrats. :D

jrkp
Gold Member

Postby jrkp » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:18 pm

mybikiny wrote:I heard someone tell me that "English is not a job, it's only tool for you to get a good job" :shock: and i am wondering if your major is English,what do you think about it. Learn another thing to support for your Englsih's major or keep learning English . Tell me your opinion. :|

You see, all depends on what kind of profession you got. For instance, people who has a job related with science, is absolutely necessary to have some English knowledge, because all the latest information is published in that language, so, if you wanna keep updated, well, you must learn english. Also, with globalization, knowing english language allows you to look for a job worldwide, I mean, you can be hired almost anywhere (especially if you are applying to work for a multinational company). However, someone whose job is study history of his own country, well, I can´t find a reason why the english language could be considered as a tool.

I think that english isn´t a guarantee that you´ll get a good job, but at least it´ll help you to expand the opportunities to get one...As a matter of fact, my little knowledge in english helped me to get my current job, I don´t say it was the most important issue in my resumé, but I´m pretty sure that it helped me a lot.....

Regarding your case, well, I think that all depens on what are your feelings about it. I mean, Do you feel that you´ve learnt everything you could in english? If that the case, you should stop studying and look for others challenges, otherwise, keep studying, in that way, your english will be better day after day...

Return to “Ideas and Opinions”