How is this possible?

Post or ask for ideas and opinions about different subjects here.

Moderator: EC

SitangCampus
Rising Star
Rising Star

How is this possible?

Post by SitangCampus »

Under Chinese President Xi Jinping's ambitious plan "Belt and Road Initiative", by which many people of the countries concerned can apply for government scholarship to have study in China, our college has the honor to receive a host of such students from such third world (underdeveloped) countries.

They are supposed to learn soemthing useful and practical so that they can make a good living back in their home country after completing the study. But to our surprise, they do not know English or Chinese languages, what they know is their own langauges, some of which are dialect that only a small number of their country understand.

Our leader of the college require us (who have exprience working with foreigners) to teach them langauge skills so that they can learn their trade in our college.

If I was the teacher, what should I do? Please you advice is welcome.
Firefox
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: How is this possible?

Post by Firefox »

SitangCampus wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:39 am Under Chinese President Xi Jinping's ambitious plan "Belt and Road Initiative", by which many people of the countries concerned can apply for government scholarship to have study in China, our college has the honor to receive a host of such students from such third world (underdeveloped) countries.

They are supposed to learn soemthing useful and practical so that they can make a good living back in their home country after completing the study. But to our surprise, they do not know English or Chinese languages, what they know is their own langauges, some of which are dialect that only a small number of their country understand.

Our leader of the college require us (who have exprience working with foreigners) to teach them langauge skills so that they can learn their trade in our college.

If I was the teacher, what should I do? Please you advice is welcome.
Yes, it does seem strange that they come with no ability to speak Chinese of English.

Most countries that allow/invite students to study make knowing the language a condition of being accepted.