Ideas and advice from EC members on best ways to learn English

Moderator: EC

Pirate
Rising Star
Rising Star

Tips for Speaking

Post by Pirate »

Hello everyone,

This is one part of the series "Tips for learning English". The series is today created in the sake of collecting and assembling tips which come from English learners. Post your own tips which really work :!: Other members can learn from them, and if necessary we could discuss :idea:

You are in the SPEAKING section 8) .

"Make sure you have finished speaking before your audience has finished listening."
Dorothy Sarnoff

English Speaking lessons: http://www.englishclub.com/speaking/
Pirate
Rising Star
Rising Star

Self-learning

Post by Pirate »

My Australian teacher of English gave me a way to practise speaking at home, alone and I think it is important because Speaking is the skill that we find most difficult to self-practise.

1- Get a recorder.
2- Prepare a presentation on any topic u like.
3- Record your speaking.
4- Listen to it again and again.
You will find out your mistakes and weak points.
(You will find your voice very cute :mrgreen: )
5- Do the 4 steps above whenever you have time.
Does your speaking get better? :wink:
shami

Post by shami »

pirate
thanks 4 these advices
i will do them ,for sure.. :wink:
Last edited by shami on Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arale
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Arale »

How to get a good speaking skill? It keeps long practise! No one can speak fluently in a flash . It needs time and how long depends on your ability and IQ.

_Arale_
Deeya

Some useful tips by me !

Post by Deeya »

Here are some tips ( by me ).Ive personally done everything mentioned below.It was really a fun and it also helped me improve my conversational skills.I hope you'll find'em very effective :) !

1. :arrow: First you need to make up your mind about how you are going to practise the conversation.Make a flow chart plan or whatever you choose.

2. :arrow: Increase your vocabulary to speak english in a better way.You could take help from web or different books.Explore the web and search with the related keywords.

3. :arrow: Get over your shyness and hesitation.English's a foreign language.It doesn't really matter if we make mistakes during the learning stage. :idea:

4. :arrow: Use the language as often as you can.The more you speak , the faster you will learn.Just dont get hesitated by the
thoughts like " Oh , what if i say sumthing silly while conversing with someone , or pronounce something in a weird or wrong way." What you need to do is kick this thought far away out of you mind.This just doesnt matter.Tell your mind " I can do it , and i will " .

5. :arrow: Find someone who's reallly a whiz at speaking english ( and knows your language too).Be friends with him / her and just get into the conversation forgetting that you're practising this to achieve something.Just feel comfortable like if you are a native-speaker.Be confident while talking to someone in english and look directly into the eyes.Dont look here and there while
saying something or else he'd think you're probably havin' some trouble speaking the language.

6. :arrow: Write short dialogues for everyday situations.Now get a tape recorder.Say the lines you've written in your conversations , the way they should ( according to the situation ).It would seem good enough to make a slight change in your voice when the other character has to speak.Now listen to it again and again.You'd probably find out the silly mistakes , you made , and then the next time , say the lines after correcting the mistakes.At a certain time , you'd surely get the perfect way to communicate with anyone in english.

7. :arrow: Listen to the English news , and other english programmes.This would be a very important listening activity to improve your pronunciation.Watch english movies , especially SHREK 1 and 2.

8. :arrow: Now in order to communicate in english with the perfect expressions , you need to memorize some of your conversations you wrote.Then just go to the washroom or wherever you feel comfortable.Let everyone get out of the room and shut the door.Stand facing the mirror.Take a deep breath and imagine if you're really standing in front of someone who doesn't know your language.Start recalling and say the lines in the correct order with the correct expressions according to that situation.Make it look really natural.Do this once a day , regularly.This would take you even more further to the way of speaking english fluently.

9. :arrow: Ask your friends to help you with this.Prepare some skits using the dialogues made by you.Perform it ( not on the stage ) with some of your friends at home.

10. :arrow: Make DICITONARY your best friend.Means that whenever and whereever you find any word or hear it from
someone , and you think you dont know the meaning , then you need to take your best friend's help.Its just a case of looking it up in your dictionary ( your best friend ).Practise these things more and more and that will definitely get you to the way of success in speaking english and with the perfection !

Hope this works out !!
To love and be loved is to feel the sun from both sides.
thinlion

Post by thinlion »

thank for about advice of deeya and pirate
I try to them and hope that I'll success :D
rehamm

Post by rehamm »

hello everyone how r u :roll:
i m new in this forum and i m fond of learning english language my teacher told me about it that dont feel hasitation that u r right or wrong during speaking and use fillers well ang right more ang more it make ur language more effective ang impressive
:lol: :wink: best wishes for all of you
:wink: creative :wink:
mcreative
zhouai

Post by zhouai »

I am new.I think that we make English friends is one of the best ways.
jone54

to make what you said into a record is a very good idea

Post by jone54 »

:wink: i think that to make what you said into a record is a very good idea for anybody who study oral english alone. i have ever intended to find a good partner to practise my spoken english, but it's hard for me (i think for most of you, it's the same with me),because both of you must have more or less the same lever and many shared time.
thank you very much for your advice . i think i will follow it and work hard. thank you!

Re: Some useful tips by me !

Post by Guest »

Deeya wrote:

1. :arrow: First you need to make up your mind about how you are going to practise the conversation.Make a flow chart plan or whatever you choose.

2. :arrow: Increase your vocabulary to speak english in a better way.You could take help from web or different books.Explore the web and search with the related keywords.

3. :arrow: Get over your shyness and hesitation.English's a foreign language.It doesn't really matter if we make mistakes during the learning stage. :idea:

4. :arrow: Use the language as often as you can.The more you speak , the faster you will learn.Just dont get hesitated by the
thoughts like " Oh , what if i say sumthing silly while conversing with someone , or pronounce something in a weird or wrong way." What you need to do is kick this thought far away out of you mind.This just doesnt matter.Tell your mind " I can do it , and i will " .

5. :arrow: Find someone who's reallly a whiz at speaking english ( and knows your language too).Be friends with him / her and just get into the conversation forgetting that you're practising this to achieve something.Just feel comfortable like if you are a native-speaker.Be confident while talking to someone in english and look directly into the eyes.Dont look here and there while
saying something or else he'd think you're probably havin' some trouble speaking the language.

6. :arrow: Write short dialogues for everyday situations.Now get a tape recorder.Say the lines you've written in your conversations , the way they should ( according to the situation ).It would seem good enough to make a slight change in your voice when the other character has to speak.Now listen to it again and again.You'd probably find out the silly mistakes , you made , and then the next time , say the lines after correcting the mistakes.At a certain time , you'd surely get the perfect way to communicate with anyone in english.

7. :arrow: Listen to the English news , and other english programmes.This would be a very important listening activity to improve your pronunciation.Watch english movies , especially SHREK 1 and 2.

8. :arrow: Now in order to communicate in english with the perfect expressions , you need to memorize some of your conversations you wrote.Then just go to the washroom or wherever you feel comfortable.Let everyone get out of the room and shut the door.Stand facing the mirror.Take a deep breath and imagine if you're really standing in front of someone who doesn't know your language.Start recalling and say the lines in the correct order with the correct expressions according to that situation.Make it look really natural.Do this once a day , regularly.This would take you even more further to the way of speaking english fluently.

9. :arrow: Ask your friends to help you with this.Prepare some skits using the dialogues made by you.Perform it ( not on the stage ) with some of your friends at home.

10. :arrow: Make DICITONARY your best friend.Means that whenever and whereever you find any word or hear it from
someone , and you think you dont know the meaning , then you need to take your best friend's help.Its just a case of looking it up in your dictionary ( your best friend ).Practise these things more and more and that will definitely get you to the way of success in speaking english and with the perfection !

Hope this works out !!
Those are really good tips. I have one more. This is what I did when I was a kid and I think many of us have done it, too, I believe. :wink:
- Hold a recorder on your hands and make a conversation with yourself in English in front of a mirror. This is for people who don't get used in thinking in English. When they talk to strangers, their minds would be blank. As a result, they'd end up not knowing what to say; therefore, this way will help a person to get used in thinking in English and the next time that person will know what to say even he/she is nervous. And when he/she has conquered that nervousness, there'd be a place for a smooth conversation due to many times of practicing. :wink: :lol:
Ordina_Lavender

Me too..

Post by Ordina_Lavender »

Hello friends.

I've read the advise and also agree with you all.The most important things are:
1. WE HAVE THE IDEA
2. LEARN THE CORRECT WAYS TO SPEAK
3. WE HAVE TO TRY (TO SPEAK)
4. LET THE EXPERIENCES AND
THE COMMENTS FROM
THE OTHERS GUIDE YOU.

I am a learner too and still in the 3rd level.So, good luck friend.
love you all.bbye.
Yan999

Post by Yan999 »

i am learning english too, speaking english is a little bit difficult, get used to thinking and talking in english is the most important thing.
Pirate
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Pirate »

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome on board!

Dear newbies, it's nice to see you wave hello, but I'd prefer a speech! Feel free to post here what you like to speak, then SPEAK IT OUT LOUD :idea:

One tip for good speaking is TO SPEAK IT OUT LOUD! Don't let words lie in your head only. If you cannot find a partner, talk to yourself in the mirror. Let's see how long you can :wink:
JakeIII

A good resource for speaking

Post by JakeIII »

Reading, writing, and listening is something that we can do alone. It is hard to practice speaking. The best way is to find someone to speak with.

I really like this site because it brings people together to speak english to improve. However, if you want additional practice, I created a site for free. It's available to all and you can improve your English by practicing. I really want to help people speak English so it's free for everyone.

Since I am not making money and I want everyone to learn how to speak English, I don't consider this a commercial listing. I really think it will help you. Please let me know what you think as well. All constructive criticism is appreciated.

http://www.talkenglish.com
Kisseugene

Post by Kisseugene »

I think we should avail ourselves of every chance to speak the language you learn
pier

much appreciate

Post by pier »

Hi,all:
It's really a good site for english learners like me who want to
do well in english speaking.
It's a difficult for a non-native-speaker to talk to someone in english I think. Nearly 10 years have passed since I got to know this language. But unfortunately, I still can not open my mouth when I want to make a conversation to a foreigner. I just almost lose confidence.
I always admire him/her who speaks english fruently.How can he/she speak so well ?
And I find so many freinds right here with a warmly heart.And give us so many helpful tips&experience.
I CAN DO WELL WITH YOUR HELP.Thank U!
redbutterfly

Learn English

Post by redbutterfly »

Hi all..
i'm new here, as a student of EC i wish i will learn english very well, thanks for the tips too, if i can add more here... i suggest to all my friend which bad english like me... just follow the lesson in this website, i noticed there are a lot of tools etc useful for us, so don't bother yourself whether can speak fluently or not, to me we can speak automatically like native speaker when we know many of vacobulary...
justinlan

Re: A good resource for speaking

Post by justinlan »

JakeIII wrote:Reading, writing, and listening is something that we can do alone. It is hard to practice speaking. The best way is to find someone to speak with.

I really like this site because it brings people together to speak english to improve. However, if you want additional practice, I created a site for free. It's available to all and you can improve your English by practicing. I really want to help people speak English so it's free for everyone.

Since I am not making money and I want everyone to learn how to speak English, I don't consider this a commercial listing. I really think it will help you. Please let me know what you think as well. All constructive criticism is appreciated.

http://www.talkenglish.com
thank you very much for the link you offered and for your warm heart.best wishes
ANDYTAN

Post by ANDYTAN »

rat wrote:I want to find a friend who want to speak english.
After a long time learning, i realise that studying with a friend is the best way of studying english,especially in speaking. So, who would like to speak with me please add my ID: greeen_apple464
me too......
SandyHR

Accent

Post by SandyHR »

Hi Friends,
Along with speaking there is one more problem. That is accent.
Though i can speak english my accent may have my nativity influence. Pls can any one suggest how to improve accent.

Regards,
Sandeep H.R
etan

Post by etan »

I agree with Caramen and I will enjoy to join her English-Club...
To improve my english, I need to practice every single day and I am sure that my vocabulary will be better than today !
henrywang

hello everyone!

Post by henrywang »

I also have some advice.We can write diary every day in English.first we can practise our writing English,then it is useful for remembering words.
sonyym

Post by sonyym »

How could u get over pudency? :cry:
harvester
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: Some useful tips by me !

Post by harvester »

Deeya wrote:Here are some tips ( by me ).Ive personally done everything mentioned below.It was really a fun and it also helped me improve my conversational skills.I hope you'll find'em very effective :) !

Hope this works out !!
Thanks for your really good tip, Deeya. I am not a person who can speak English fluently and I sometimes feel disappointed in speaking skill. Sometimes because of the embarrassment and shyness I couldn't say even a word in front of another one. After reading your tip, I realized some more intersting things I need put it into practise as soon as possible. So, many thanks for you advice, Deeya :)
cherrychen

how to handle english during doing trading business

Post by cherrychen »

this is my first time go into this forum, and found that here is very useful for people, whose first langue is not english. actually, my fist language is chinese. i always thought that to be a good speaker in english is very very hard work. event thought i have been to NewZealand study for over 2 years, and still can not speak a fluent english.
Now, i had been in china for one year, and woking in an import& and export department in a glass muanufacturer, and the major job is to contact with client or explore some new potential dealer.
generally speaking, we usually contact each other by using the internet or Fax, therefore, i don't need to talk to them directly, that mean is i am not often speak english, and i found that oral english going down fleetly. because of this, i am so worry about that. really want to find some way to impore or evern maintain it.
now, i found a good way, which is english club. here.
and hope that every member in this formun can help every other or to share their experience to acheive our goles.
MONEM
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by MONEM »

Thanks it's a great tips . Also I want to add use Microsoft word to improve you writing skills and to correct your spelling.
Thanks alot :D
NamAnhThang

I will try

Post by NamAnhThang »

thanks, I will try all methods of speaking everyone show on there
Edgard

Post by Edgard »

Hi, people!

:D I´m very happy, because i´ve just found the right place for a good learning of english. The EC is the great opportunity to make friends with the same goals. I´m new here, too, and I spect to learn as better I can, because the entire world needs talk the same language. First, one general language (it doesn´t matter what language) for after change ideas and opnions,don´t all you agree with me?

Let´s keep togheter learning!

Edgard
NamAnhThang

Hi Edgard

Post by NamAnhThang »

Please to meet you, are you from Brazil? I like your country. I want to learn English with you on EC.
jeangrey

another tips with english language

Post by jeangrey »

based on my experience, i learned english a lot by:
1. of course, my fave class is english.
2. reading english books.
3. watching english movie or tv series.
4. tune in to english radio.
5. practice to speak english everyday with your friend or officemates.make a game, like there will be a consequence if you dont or if you forgot to speak in english.in that way, we have no choice but to speak the language.

hope this might help you.
dariadaria

Post by dariadaria »

Hello, everyone!
Thanks for the tips... :wink:
zshuangyong

good method

Post by zshuangyong »

:D Hello everyone,I am newmember here. I from China.
I think the TIP'S methods nice! Thank u!
Montenegro

Post by Montenegro »

Hello,
I am new here. My english is not to good, I have problem with grammer beacose I lerned english by myself. Now I am gogin in one english school and I try to change my grammer. I have realy dificult period :roll: because I thing it's change realy slowly. I am realy unpatient, I want to speak gramatical right english.
I think this is right place for learning.
If someone interesting to spend litle time to write me are welcome. My mail address is: *******.co.uk

Snowy*

Hi

Post by Snowy* »

Hi Pirate

I followed your teacher advice I spoke and recorded my voice but I didn't like my voice ..
it's very funny when I speak in English..
and my pronunciation it's also funny ..

Give me another advice ..

Instead of I practicing speaking I spent time at laughing at my voice
Snowy*

for Montenegro

Post by Snowy* »

Montenegro wrote:Hello,
I am new here. My english is not to good, I have problem with grammer beacose I lerned english by myself. Now I am gogin in one english school and I try to change my grammer. I have realy dificult period :roll: because I thing it's change realy slowly. I am realy unpatient, I want to speak gramatical right english.
I think this is right place for learning.
If someone interesting to spend litle time to write me are welcome. My mail address is: *******.co.uk

Hi Montenegro

I saw your post I think you really need to improve your English ( like me :lol: )

You have a lot of spelling mistakes ..
I'll give you my advice..
Before you write any thing here put your post in (MS word) to check your spelling mistakes..

( I always do that :D )
rosaline

Post by rosaline »

HeLoo
My Name is Yanita from indonesia
i'm a new comer of this Forum
i realy want to speak English Fluently
since i found my new job as a Marketing Staff in a shoes Company <Adidas>
the communication between each department is using English Language by Email or Direct
sometimes i feel shy to speak so i just quite
i need your help if i make any mistakes in writing
please correct
Glad to be part of this Forum
Bambang
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Bambang »

Practise makes perfect.

Don't worry about grammar. Just speak out. The more you speak the better your grammar will be.

English kids never learn grammar before they go to school, but they can speak English fluently. It's all because they speak English everyday.
BenWizard

To improve my English language skills

Post by BenWizard »

My native language is Spanish and I want to improve my English language skills. Could you tell me or any body where I can get that book "Not study, but learn"?. I couldn't find it in Amazon.com. Thanks a lot friends.
brocoli

Re: Tips for Speaking

Post by brocoli »

hi everybody it is excellent opportunity to read your posts and have in mind that there is other people like me that try to learn this language :P
denvinbo
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by denvinbo »

Say whatever you think....never worry about the grammar......but you should check cursory before talk it out....... :)
ahmedxzxz

Post by ahmedxzxz »

that is a good tip for speaking...
forum

Post by forum »

Do you think you would be interested in an online chat room, where you could chat in English using voice?

I am thinking of starting one on my site http://askjohn.seesaa.net, but I am not sure if people would be interested in it.

What do you think?
John
Free English Lessons: http://www.askjohnenglish.com/
alkhader

Re: self learning"

Post by alkhader »

Good Afternoon Gents,

I am completely agree with the person who gave us the way of "Self Learning" which tells us that you have to bring recorder and cassettes then start to speak about any subject comes across your mind. after that listen to your speaking MANY TIMES then you can easily figure out your weakness points and you can see how good you are in speaking? And you will know who you start your conversation with polite words and sentences.

Start do that job always and time to time see how many changes have you done during short period

I really appreciate you all for your nice information and 4 subjects you submit :D

Your Always
Alkhader Ali
Zooboy

Post by Zooboy »

QUOTING Alkhader Ali
I am completely agree with the person who gave us the way of "Self Learning" which tells us that you have to bring recorder and cassettes then start to speak about any subject comes across your mind.

Yes,... and nowadays, with gimmicks like mini MP3 recorder and player,.. the problem of feeling embarassed being seen carrying a big mini-cassette-recorder is solved.

My private students do this when they attend seminars, business presentation, even English-speaking church sermons ...
They just record them, bring home and copy onto their computer hardrive and use them as self-learning listening exercises.

Hope this can inspire you too ... ;-)

Cheers,...

Zooboy
thomasz

Post by thomasz »

we have may difficult methods to speak English.so I like to talk with England to listen better.
emilykorea

Post by emilykorea »

thanks for sharing..but as they always say..practice makes perfect..:)
Hypercube

Re: Correct me if i'm wrong

Post by Hypercube »

strawberrypynk wrote:hi everyone..

i'm new here. i really need your help. some people says that we can improve our english by speaking with people. but then, i dont have enough confidence to speak, especially with people who speaks english fluently. please give some advice and motivate me because i really need it and please corrent my sentence. Thank you very much ;-)
Don't worry about it. Native speakers actually like it when you speak English. They can see you're making an effort. I grew up in rural Canada speaking only French. When I turned 16, I decided to go to an English school in Montreal. I didn't have much confidence at first either... Oral exams were a complete nightmare, as well as the essays we had to hand in. That was until I met some people who were interested in the same stuff as me. I say you should get to know some people, no matter how hard it can seem to you. You will notice that the more you know someone, the more confident you will get, and your English will improve considerably over the months :D
danni

Post by danni »

HI guys been here twice now,i always like to go into forums because i like to share some of my ideas too.Right now i am in Asia doing some schooling.I have the opportunity of tutoring some Koreans here & what i did is read,read,read & read books to widen my vocabularies.It's quite hard to teach them cause some of them don't really speak the language,but mind you they're really good at grammar.It is just the way you view things i guess,if you think it's easy it will be easy, just practice,practice & practice the language.This is where i am now,there's some forums in there too that you can read & get some tips in speaking the language.

http://www.filmschool.com
Asep
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Asep »

As Pirate said about his/her Australian English teacher, trying to practice speaking English alone might be one of those useful ways of practicing our speaking skills. I believe this proves effective, at least I figured it out when I was once informed of this trick by one of the best English teachers I had back in 2002. He once told me he used to practice speaking all by himself and that trick worked for him. I don't know if this trick can work for anybody else. Despite the need for being good at speaking, I've rarely spoken myself. The truth is, I've always found it much more effective when I speak with a partner (especially a good friend), as I can more easily come up with lots of ideas.