Tips for Vocabulary

Ideas and advice from EC members on best ways to learn English

Moderators: Krisi, Vega, EC

englishhelps
Gold Member

Re: Tips for Vocabulary

Post by englishhelps » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:58 pm

I'll post in here some of the new words that I learn everyday. It's good to always have a word for the day.

voluptuary: A person devoted to luxury and the gratification of sensual appetites; a sensualist.

rojbanks

Post by rojbanks » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:55 am

Hi !! guys....!! i'm a student here... i read the suggestions regarding the Vocabulary
improve techniques.i usually fallow this tips,but During the conversation ,i can't remember the correct word or phrase.. i have to take time to actully remember it and put in right place in a sentences..it can't help me any way.. and off course there r much more diff. word in dictionary, which i could not differentiate well... any other ways?

Najlooolah
Silver Member

Post by Najlooolah » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:32 pm

learning needs hard worker..so I am trying to do my best ,but my problem is ...How can I use words in sentence....I asked my teacher about that ..and she told me" you need to understand the part of speech of the word first" can anyone explain that ? :roll:

SuMoNe
Silver Member

Post by SuMoNe » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:36 pm

Najlooolah wrote:learning needs hard worker..so I am trying to do my best ,but my problem is ...How can I use words in sentence....I asked my teacher about that ..and she told me" you need to understand the part of speech of the word first" can anyone explain that ? :roll:
I think she/he means that u should understand the meaning of words & their grammatical functions whether verbs/nouns/adj/adv ..etc..So u can put each word in the right position within the sentense & use it in a proper way..

Najlooolah
Silver Member

Post by Najlooolah » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:03 am

SuMoNe wrote:
Najlooolah wrote:learning needs hard worker..so I am trying to do my best ,but my problem is ...How can I use words in sentence....I asked my teacher about that ..and she told me" you need to understand the part of speech of the word first" can anyone explain that ? :roll:
I think she/he means that u should understand the meaning of words & their grammatical functions whether verbs/nouns/adj/adv ..etc..So u can put each word in the right position within the sentense & use it in a proper way..
:-? too much ...it's too much on me ...I wish If Icould do all these ..

SuMoNe
Silver Member

Post by SuMoNe » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:44 am

Najlooolah

yes u can..everything seems to b hard in the beginning..try to use dictionary as much as u can, & btw whenever u search for a meaning of a certain word u'll find the function as well, which will help u to use words properly in a sentense.. good luck :)

Najlooolah
Silver Member

Post by Najlooolah » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:18 pm

SuMoNe wrote:Najlooolah

yes u can..everything seems to b hard in the beginning..try to use dictionary as much as u can, & btw whenever u search for a meaning of a certain word u'll find the function as well, which will help u to use words properly in a sentense.. good luck :)

Thank U

Najma

Post by Najma » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:14 pm

Hi all of you

Different people have different tastes. The best way to learn vocabulary is to use and practice them. If you learn a lot of vocabularies a day, without using you will just forget almost

Sunnypk
Platinum Member

Post by Sunnypk » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:32 am

Usually dictionaries make you bore, when you take a heavy book of dictionary your mood just turned into sluggish and you start thinking how could I remember all vocab: so avoids yourself. so the way I would suggest you to read newspaper, stories, text books and listening and get words and try to use in your own way.
intend to take 3 words daily and make the use of in best way repeatedly. conduct groups and use their ur vocab: really it's effective way

Alfa

Post by Alfa » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:32 pm

I Think that one of the practical ways is to have a palm-paper piece . Then you write 8 words maximum in both front and back But not just words , they should be in context .After that , write the meaning in your own language (I suggest to be written upside down . Finally, put the paper in your pocket , and from time to time , pick it up and have a quick look at them . If you can get it back , that means you succeeded , If not, don't have another paper till you catch it write .
please if you tried this way , please send me a massage .