What should I read?

Ideas and advice from EC members on best ways to learn English

Moderator: EC

Entanglement

What should I read?

Post by Entanglement »

Hi,

I want to improve my English substantially.
Recently, I have started to read articles on Psychology Today, Newyork times, Washington post, Wired, and The Economist. I enjoy reading these articles and I've learned a lot of new vocabulary that way. To me, the difficulty level of these articles is intermediate. I want to start reading novels of the same level but I don't what books should I start reading. Is reading articles online enough or should I start reading novels? What other resources are there that I can use?
Any advice?
Krisi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: What should I read?

Post by Krisi »

Entanglement wrote:Hi,

Recently, I have started to read articles on Psychology Today, Newyork times, Washington post, Wired, and The Economist. I enjoy reading these articles and I've learned a lot of new vocabulary that way. To me, the difficulty level of these articles is intermediate. I want to start reading novels of the same level but I don't what books should I start reading. Is reading articles online enough or should I start reading novels? What other resources are there that I can use?
Any advice?
- - - - - - -
Hi!
In my opinion, any reading material you find interesting will match your level. So, books you find interesting to read is the right book for you. :-)
I guess you should narrow down on what exactly you would like to improve about your English ... just be specific and focus on that part/field then when you have obtained mastery of that area you can move on to another area..
Entanglement

Post by Entanglement »

I want to download books to read. I can't find any way to narrow down on books of intermediate language. Some people told me to start reading Agatha Christie's books but I find them so easy. Could you recommend me some other higher-level books that can be readable to me?

I want to improve everything about my English. I don't think I exactly understand what do you mean by "just be specific and focus on....". So, for example, If I want to focus on punctuation, should I concentrate on the writer's punctuation while I'm reading? Could you tell the fields one needs to master to master the English language?

Thanks a lot,
Krisi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Krisi »

Entanglement wrote:...

I want to improve everything about my English. I don't think I exactly understand what do you mean by "just be specific and focus on....". So, for example, If I want to focus on punctuation, should I concentrate on the writer's punctuation while I'm reading? Could you tell the fields one needs to master to master the English language?

Thanks a lot,
In my case, that's just how I study each area. Knowing theories/rules or reading others' opinion/idea is not enough for me. :-)
So, if you want to master your writing skill aside from reading you have to create your own masterpieces, even if it is just a report. Also, creating your masterpieces is one way to personally know where you should concentrate more on your studies.
jiyakhattak
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by jiyakhattak »

Entanglement wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:21 pm Hi,

Any advice?
YOU SHOULD READ NOVELS ALSO AND PLAY QUIZ ETC
AmyWils

Post by AmyWils »

Thanks for this question, have the same question right now. Trying to read as much as possible to broaden my vocabulary and so on {-:
JoshChow

Post by JoshChow »

Just consume the content you like, you know , "your interest is the best teacher" I hope it helps, thanks {-;
stacy

Post by stacy »

One of the best ways to learn is reading articles or stories about a hobby or something you're really passionate about. So, while reading about something you like, you learn the language!