Tips for Motivation

Ideas and advice from EC members on best ways to learn English

Moderator: EC

HollyJ

Tips for Motivation

Post by HollyJ »

One important way to stay motivated to learn English is to know, and remember why you are learning English. Maybe you think this is too easy, but it sin't always. Because it is also important for your "why" to be specific. So my tip is to create a why list. The items in your why list must be specific: give names, dates, places, etc. To help you, here is a video of a class where I taught several students how to create a why list. Watch it, then create one yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9ggTfVnWv0
More confidence, less fear with online speaking and grammar lessons.

http://www.hollytreeenglish.com
threeyzmonkeys

Re: Tips for Motivation

Post by threeyzmonkeys »

An interesting video.
Motivation is a huge problem for my students. They often tell me that they hate English.
I tell them that you cannot hate English. English is a tool. It's like digging a deep hole and saying, "I hate this shovel." You don't hate the shovel. You hate the digging.
Do you hate your own language? Of course not. English is a tool with which to do fun things. If you like watching youtube, do it in English. If you like playing games, play them in English. If you like watching movies, watch them in English.
If you can do fun things while using English at the same time, your motivation will increase. You have to switch your mindset from "I have to study this language" to "Yeah! I can watch that excellent video on YouTube". {-: {-: :prof:
Free English talks, scripts, questions, answers and MP3s. Learn something while you practice English. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCMsQL ... wBOV9C6l-g
HollyJ

Post by HollyJ »

Hello,

Milestone, you are quite welcome. I am sorry that I did not answer you when you first commented. I was dealing with the situation of a dying relative at that time, and I have been handling some difficult times for a while. So I am very sorry. Threeyzmonkeys, you bring up some interesting points. I would even take them a bit farther because I believe that English, like any language, is a treasure with its own beauty. But if you don't have the vision to see it, you will not consider it a treasure. For example, I had the opportunity once to touch a beautifully cut garnet worth about 15000.00. I was given the chance to touch it because I am blind. However, because of the blindness, I was unable to appreciate the true beauty of the stone that made it worth so much. To me, it just felt like an interestingly shaped rock. To those who do not see the treasure of a language, the language is just a chore, or a collection of sounds and words and rules that they must sort through.
More confidence, less fear with online speaking and grammar lessons.

http://www.hollytreeenglish.com
jiyakhattak
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by jiyakhattak »

HollyJ wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:25 pm One important way to stay motivated to learn English is to know, and remember why you are learning English. Maybe you think this is too easy, but it sin't always. Because it is also important for your "why" to be specific. So my tip is to create a why list. The items in your why list must be specific: give names, dates, places, etc. To help you, here is a video of a class where I taught several students how to create a why list. Watch it, then create one yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9ggTfVnWv0
amazing words
jiyakhattak
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by jiyakhattak »

milestone wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:41 pm motivation is the key in everything! Thx for this video!
right
jiyakhattak
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by jiyakhattak »

threeyzmonkeys wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:05 am An interesting video.
Motivation is a huge problem for my students. They often tell me that they hate English.
I tell them that you cannot hate English. English is a tool. It's like digging a deep hole and saying, "I hate this shovel." You don't hate the shovel. You hate the digging.
Do you hate your own language? Of course not. English is a tool with which to do fun things. If you like watching youtube, do it in English. If you like playing games, play them in English. If you like watching movies, watch them in English.
If you can do fun things while using English at the same time, your motivation will increase. You have to switch your mindset from "I have to study this language" to "Yeah! I can watch that excellent video on YouTube". {-: {-: :prof:
yes
Rookencepor

Post by Rookencepor »

There are a lot of things that can motivate around us. but if tips for motivations I must advise to you to read content from various websites. There are lot of blogs that can change our perspective. Another thing I want to let you read motivational books and read success stories abt how they struggled in their life.
ambpickler

Post by ambpickler »

Hello! What a nice topic. I consider the main motivation for my students to be their goal. I try to always remind them of it, then they immediately learn more and work harder. It's simple enough.