Best ways to learn Vocabulary!!

Ideas and advice from EC members on best ways to learn English

Moderator: EC

roybhatty

Best ways to learn Vocabulary!!

Post by roybhatty »

Learn With Others

Learning becomes easier and fun when we do with others. You can join toastmasters which are the excellent group leaning communities.
Find a group of friends who want learn English. Also talk to other English learners on Facebook. There are many facebook pages for English learners.
Find one and your studying will get much easier.

Take Vocab Quizzes

There are many good websites and as well Vocabulary builder apps that allows you take the quizzes and provides you with a detailed explanation. Using the quizzes make sure you remember the words that struggled you. Write down or bookmark them.

Take Games

Studying can be fun with games particularly when learning words. Whenever you open a news paper you'll will games like cross word puzzles and many more. Try solving them daily. I know this won't take a long time. Sometimes having a real-life memory attached to that word makes it much more memorable.

Use Words in Conversation

Try using the new words you learned during the week as often as you can. Don't afraid whether you spelt it wrong or someone laugh at it. This is the true way of learning even if it's hard. Start now and start growing.

Flashcards

Flashcards are great to remember words you already learned. But to actually learn a new word, you have to see it in a sentence, use it in your daily speech, or in any other way that will give it some context. Once you link the word with something bigger, it sticks better in your mind.

Read.Read.Read

Reading is a good way to learn new words, but what you read can also make a huge difference in how much you learn. Choose books that are a bit challenging and start reading them. You can also try special vocabulary books. If you read a book at your level, you may already know all the words. If you read a challenging book, you will need to learn many new words.

What does that mean?

If someone uses a word that you don't understand, ask them what does that word mean. Many people are very patient and understanding if you tell them that you’re learning English. In fact, many will actually enjoy helping you!

This way you can try everything and learn vocabulary. Enjoy learning. :-D
roybhatty

Re: Best ways to learn Vocabulary!!

Post by roybhatty »

Download the good Vocabulary apps from play store and start using it daily.
jonathanrace
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by jonathanrace »

I'm still a massive fan of ANKI and recommend it to all of my students.
I can help you Learn English
Safari
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Safari »

Sorry for my ignorance but what is ANKI please (jonathanrace)?
vishroh

Post by vishroh »

Great article. Very informative.
Thank you.
I also found the Vocab App very helpful for vocabulary.
LasithaNipun

Post by LasithaNipun »

NiceIdeas to learn .
Improve Your English Reading, Listening, Speaking skills and collect new Vocabulary with songs Lyrics. Follow
jiyakhattak
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by jiyakhattak »

may be
SpellQuiz

Post by SpellQuiz »

The most correct tool to check vocabulary is a tool on SpellQuiz website - Vocabulary test https://spellquiz.com/vocabulary-test
darcy
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by darcy »

This new website has fun ways to learn useful English idioms. Free. https://English-e.com/idioms/.