Tips for Vocabulary

Ideas and advice from EC members on best ways to learn English

Moderator: EC

Mark ravin

Tips for Vocabulary

Post by Mark ravin »

English is my second my language and sometimes I find it difficult to understand native speakers due to my poor structure of the vocabulary. On the other hand, we need a dictionary to find out difficult words. However unfortunately, we tend to forget the words that we have searched for definitions. Don’t worry, It’s the nature of humans. That’s the main loop hole and that’s where WordUp comes in to play.

I’ve been using this app since last year august and I feel it provides me a good platform to learn new words and memorize new words. We can simply search words and added to our to-do list. By doing so we can revisit our vocabulary which enable us to memorize those words automatically.

Interestingly, the common fact of learning a new language is be practical and consider the use of particular words in day to day life. Wordup provides radical solution in that aspect too. Once we search a definition of the word, we could view not only the definition but also pronunciation (US and UK), most appropriate picture, Songs, Movies relating to that particular word. Not only that if we need to memorize the word we have few options such as traditional scrolling method, different games such as guessing missing word, dictation and etc. Wordup allows me to breakout my traditional way of learning and to explore new opportunities to learn new words and to improve my words. I thoroughly believe that improvement in my vocabulary and success is at least part in due to support received from WordUp.
roozbehrah

Re: Tips for Vocabulary

Post by roozbehrah »

In my experience the best way of learning vocabulary is in context. don't worry about forgetting a word. every time you forget it a trace of it remains in your brain and the next time it will be less likely to forget.

Try using dictionaries that have pictures and examples. and learn words in a sentence (memorize the whole sentence). It may sound harder but it is not
jasonadams

Post by jasonadams »

I'm trying to watch soap operas with English subtitles. Watching movies and TV series in the original is a good motivator, because you can watch fascinating videos in between reading and monotonous grammar exercises.
Fregat

Post by Fregat »

some tips to improve your English vocabulary:

Read extensively: The more you read, the more exposure you get to new words and their usage in context. Read books, newspapers, magazines, and online articles to improve your vocabulary.

Use a dictionary: Keep a dictionary handy and look up any unfamiliar words you come across while reading. Take note of the word, its meaning, and how it's used in context.

Learn words in context: Instead of memorizing words out of context, try to learn new words in context. This will help you remember the meaning of the word and its usage.

Use flashcards: Write a new word on one side of the flashcard and its meaning on the other side. Test yourself regularly by going through the flashcards to reinforce your memory.

Play word games: Word games like crossword puzzles, Scrabble, and word jumbles can be a fun way to learn new words and improve your vocabulary.

Use new words in conversation and writing: Practice using new words in your daily conversations and writing. This will help you remember them better and also improve your communication skills.

Learn prefixes, suffixes, and roots: Many English words have a common root, prefix or suffix. Understanding these can help you understand the meaning of new words.

Join a vocabulary-building program or class: There are many online programs and classes that focus on improving vocabulary. Joining such a program can help you learn new words more systematically.

Remember that improving your vocabulary takes time and effort, but the benefits are worth it. With a better vocabulary, you can communicate more effectively, read and understand complex texts, and express yourself more clearly and precisely.
Bayani

Post by Bayani »

It's certainly a cool idea, but it's not that convenient. Nothing better than learning words and using them more often has yet been invented :)
Experience the thrill of Bingo, a popular game in Philippines!
Murazik
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Murazik »

Another good and effective way to expand your vocabulary is to create context yourself. In other words, you should take the words which you want to memorize and come up with a story with them. The more unrelated the words are to each other, the better. You will have to think about the story longer so the words will be better remembered.
As far as I was concerned Can't wait to see whatever movie they're filming in London right now.