Teaching Feelings to Children

Moderator: EC

Charmaine

Teaching Feelings to Children

Post by Charmaine »

Teaching children about feelings has many benefits. It helps them develop their writing skills, and incorporating emotions into their writing can make it more interesting. It also encourages them to express their emotions better, as they will be able to write more meaningful stories that incorporate emotions. This can be done in a variety of ways, including creating an Emotions Poem activity, which a teacher can create and present digitally.

Using idioms and pictures can also help students understand how to talk about their Teaching feelings. A good way to demonstrate the meaning of different emotions is by miming their meaning. For example, if you are trying to teach a student that they are sad, you can show them by miming them crying.

Teaching kids to recognize and label their feelings will help them build empathy and become better people. In addition, children who can recognize their own emotions have more resiliency and empathy and are less likely to develop behavioral problems. When children are able to handle their feelings, they also exhibit greater self-esteem and confidence. Moreover, this skill will benefit their friendships.

Using puppets is another excellent way to teach children about feelings. It can be fun to use the puppets to act out different situations and emotions. Using puppets can also help children talk about different emotions in a more indirect way. This can be a great way to bond with your child and create a sense of understanding and empathy.
Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Re: Teaching Feelings to Children

Post by Joe »

Not specifically for children, mainly intermediate:

Expressions Quiz: Feelings

Expressions Quiz: Emotions

Expressions Quiz: Moods
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :-| " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven
alexpiolo

Post by alexpiolo »

Teaching children about feelings is a really important aspect for educators and parents. Indeed, in recent years, one can observe a trend of increasing cruelty among children. On the topic of why it takes so long, you can talk a lot, there are a lot of factors influencing it. And the game you shared here is perfect for this purpose. There are some inaccuracies in the description, I recommend to see a more up-to-date review Teaching Feeling
Mr Greg
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Mr Greg »

When teaching feelings to children, I always do role play. Facial expressions help a lot but I feel like a lot of emotions are masked from children. They will associate most negative emotions with anger.

To help, I usually have flashcards for them to refer to. Here is a batch I have: https://www.mrgregenglish.com/kindergar ... -emotions/