The Olympics

Add your poems, essays and short stories here. Please do not post work by other writers.

Moderator: EC

Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

The Olympics

Post by Dixie »

Yeah, I know what you are thinking: "I knew somebody will start topic on the Olympics" or something like that. If it is so, why didn't you start, it? :lol:

Well, I would like to know your opinion about them. What do you think? Are you following the games? Is your country playing a good role?

I don't know if you are aware that many nations are being excluded from the games, e.g. the Catalan or the Scotish.

Tonyoung

Post by Tonyoung »

I have no idea about Catalan and Scotish are being excluded,Can you tell us the reason why? :?:
I fight,I conquer,I enjoy
Phamtuan41c

Post by Phamtuan41c »

:roll:
Hi Dixie.
I'm sory because I don't know where Catalan is, in fact.
But If your country is an independent nation, it can totally attend any World's Game.
My country is Viet Nam, we've been attending Olympics, but It's seem too big for us.
Phamtuan41c

Post by Phamtuan41c »

:roll:
Hi Dixie.
I'm sory because I don't know where Catalan is, in fact.
But If your country is an independent nation, it can totally attend any World's Game.
My country is Viet Nam, we've been attending Olympics, but It's seem too big for us.
Asep

Post by Asep »

Just like Phamtuan41c, I don't know either where this country named Catalan is. Looks like it's a brand-new country. Talking about achievement each of our countries has ever made significantly in many of these occasions, I'm personally proud of my country's. Indonesia has been the first winner in Badminton for a couple of the matches. The funny thing is (as I'd like it called), many of the players sent by our government have not been "pure" Indonesians. They are Chinese, in fact. They, however, were born and have been living here in Indonesia. So, like it or not, we "pure" Indonesians have to admit that they've been contributing a lot to our country's International sport-based advancements. One thing is for sure, wherever we are we are obliged to follow the locally applied rules and to do whatever we can to make things done by the local government a success. Hope I don't hurt anyone's feeling here and if I do, please do forgive me.
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Catalunya is a nation inside Spain, as well as Scotland is a nation in Great Britain. Therefore you shouldn't be shocked by the fact that we are excluded in the games. We are not the only ones. There are many nations which cannot participate in the games by themselves but representing another country. However, I've been told there have been seen some Catalan and Basque banners in the Olympics.

Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Here's a list of the nations that cannot compete in the games:

Catalan countries (Catalunya, Valencian Country, Balearic Islands)
Galiza
Basque Country
Astúries
Occitània
Còrsega
Sardenya
Scotland
Wales
Txetxènia
Northern Ireland
Feroe Islands
Lapland
Carelia

Frísia
Savoia
Baviera
Bretanya
Ligúria

Àfrica:

El poble berber
Cabinda
Anjouan
Illes Chagos
Katanga
Oromo
El poble tigray
Illes Suvadive
Itenge
Biafra
Ogoni
Batwa
Anya-Nya
Lado
Sudan del Sud
Zanzibar
Poble saharaui

Asia:

Els pobles jumma
Arakan
El poble chin
el poble kachin
El poble karen
El poble mon
El poble shan
Mongolia del Sud
Ladakh
Taiwan
Tibet
Uighurstan
Assam
Kashmir
Khalistan
Ladakh
Manipur
Meghalaya
Mizoram
Nagaland
Sikkim
Aceh
Moluques del Sud
Papua Occidental
Asíria
Kurdistan
Turkomans
Azerbaijan del Sud
Franja de Gaza i Cisjordània
Palestina
El poble ainu
Okinawa
Ladakh
Sindu Desh (Sindh)
Cordillera
El poble moro
Tamil Eelam
Hmong
Patani
Asep

Post by Asep »

You included Aceh in Asian countries below. Do you mean Aceh which was once an international issue for their GAM (Free Aceh Movement). If yes, how come you put this place into your list while it is STILL an active part of Indonesia, my country? And also Patani, as far as I am concerned, it belongs to Thailand. So it's NOT a country itself. It is PART of a country. Btw, where did you easily find this information and then share it with us all here?
Dixie wrote:Here's a list of the nations that cannot compete in the games:

Catalan countries (Catalunya, Valencian Country, Balearic Islands)
Galiza
Basque Country
Astúries
Occitània
Còrsega
Sardenya
Scotland
Wales
Txetxènia
Northern Ireland
Feroe Islands
Lapland
Carelia

Frísia
Savoia
Baviera
Bretanya
Ligúria

Àfrica:

El poble berber
Cabinda
Anjouan
Illes Chagos
Katanga
Oromo
El poble tigray
Illes Suvadive
Itenge
Biafra
Ogoni
Batwa
Anya-Nya
Lado
Sudan del Sud
Zanzibar
Poble saharaui

Asia:

Els pobles jumma
Arakan
El poble chin
el poble kachin
El poble karen
El poble mon
El poble shan
Mongolia del Sud
Ladakh
Taiwan
Tibet
Uighurstan
Assam
Kashmir
Khalistan
Ladakh
Manipur
Meghalaya
Mizoram
Nagaland
Sikkim
Aceh
Moluques del Sud
Papua Occidental
Asíria
Kurdistan
Turkomans
Azerbaijan del Sud
Franja de Gaza i Cisjordània
Palestina
El poble ainu
Okinawa
Ladakh
Sindu Desh (Sindh)
Cordillera
El poble moro
Tamil Eelam
Hmong
Patani
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Sorry if there was any mistake there, Asep. The list was provided by Catalan forum user, so I just copied it here.

And I never said "countries", but "nations". It's not the same, you know.
lennye_tran

Post by lennye_tran »

Merce,
They cannot attend because they don't have their own government (creates laws and so on). Example is Hmong. They don't have their own government. They're just a small ethnic group of people. By the way, I've seen Mongolia on the list. Mongolia? Which enthnic group of people in Mongolia because they're in the Olympics, you know.
Asep, "pure" Indonesian? I didn't know about that term. I thought most of Indo were Indo-born-Chinese, like Chinese people in Singapore or America or anywhere else in the world. They're a citizens of the currently country but they have Chinese background.
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

What I meant is that small nations with no government of their own (even though in Catalunya we DO have a government different than the Spanish one) are not allowed to participate in the games for themselves, which I think it's a pity, i.e. most "Spanish" sportsmen competing in the Olympics are Catalan.

You know what the Spanish TV did? Yesterday, a sportsman from Mallorca won the cycling medal. He then went straight to some people in the public, and hugged them. They were holding a Catalan flag, and the Spanish TV cut those images, since any Catalanism gesture were forbidden in the Olympics (just like in Franco's best times!)

Well, I don't want to start telling you guys all the vexation the Spanish make us go through, as always, but just wanted to point out that. :wink:
Asep

Post by Asep »

OK, sorry for the potential mistake I may have made. I don't even know that much about where my ancestors came from, though. You're Chinese, Lennye_Tran? Like I told Merce, I love Chinese and, above all, I love their natural eastern beauty. That is not to say I love all of you, anyway. What if I ask you for your email address, then?
lennye_tran wrote: Asep, "pure" Indonesian? I didn't know about that term. I thought most of Indo were Indo-born-Chinese, like Chinese people in Singapore or America or anywhere else in the world. They're a citizens of the currently country but they have Chinese background.
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Haha, looks like Asep wants everybody's e-mail address here! :wink:
Asep

Post by Asep »

You're definitely right, Dixie. Only if you wish, of course. I'm not an insistent type of person, anyway. But I'm willing to upload my pic to this forum if any of you ever want me to. Seriously. Nothing more than for the sake of friendship. We want it as easy as possible to get to know each other well, don't we?
Dixie wrote:Haha, looks like Asep wants everybody's e-mail address here! :wink:
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

ImageImageImageImage

Post by Guest »

Yeah, Olympics is great. coz it can make people from diverse places together.

As a chinese, I am proud of my country and chinese sports. Chinese althletes gained great achievements on Olympics.

when I see Chinese national flag rising and Chinese national anthem sounding in Olympics's sky, I always can't help crying. in exciting tears.
Phamtuan41c

Post by Phamtuan41c »

Dear Chinese friend.

From Viet Nam, Congragulaions on your success. :D :D :D :D

Best regard.

Post by Guest »

thanks!