Why Some Countries Native Languages Are Dying Out.

Add your poems, essays and short stories here. Please do not post work by other writers.

Moderator: EC

Why Some Countries Native Languages Are Dying Out.

Post by Guest »

i don't know why some of the native languages are dying out !
what is your views on this??? Thank you :wink: [/b]
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

The problem is called COLONIZATION.

Imposition of the colonists languages upon the native ones.

That's still happening in Catalunya and that's why many people think our language can disappear, although it's spoken by 10 million people nowadays.

When someone addresses a Catalan person speaking Spanish, the Catalan changes to Spanish. Why? They think it's rude to speak in Catalan to the person who was first talking in Spanish, even though that person understands Catalan. And so on...

How many native languages have disappeared due to colonization, or how many of them are about to disappear? What happened to Gaelic in Ireland?

:cry: : :cry: :cry: :cry:
Asep

Post by Asep »

As with my country's many native languages, well, Indonesia is famous for its numerous native languages since it has thousands of inslands, thousands of local languages, and a lot different local cultural values and arts. If anyone here has the idea of BALI, he/she should understand that it represents Indonesia in some ways. However, it is NOT sufficient to get a good understanding what Indonesia looks like simply by knowing Bali well. And I don't know the exact causes of why some of this world's millions of native language are dying out, but these languages are obviously unable to catch up with the national language spoken by people of different areas in one country. We Indonesians are lucky to still preserve our own local languages while using our national language as a means of uniting us. These local language are still alive at this moment and I use one of them to speak to my family in my hometown.

Well, I didn't at all mean the above statement as another way of showing off. Hope nobody considers me boastful. No, I'm NOT boasting of my country. I'm just doing what I can to show you an example. You know what I mean, guys. Thanks for reading.
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

A language doesn't disappear because of the imposition of another language. It disappears when its speakers cease to speak it.
Asep

Post by Asep »

As a linguist, at least a teacher of a language, you must be pretty good at analyzing why things happen.
Have you checked your mail I sent today, Dixie? Still no reply from you since this morning (maybe because we have different time range (what should I have called that?) of five hours, it was still midnight in Catalunya when it was 8.00 am here in Jakarta.
Dixie wrote:A language doesn't disappear because of the imposition of another language. It disappears when its speakers cease to speak it.
Sunny

Post by Sunny »

At this point, I agree with you, if we all speak the same language, we could easily understand each other.
But on the other hand, the native language should be protect well, because the development of the language could show the change of that nation. I think maybe you read the text" The Last Lesson", it is really a good artical
Begonia wrote:At the point of economy integration, it is good to use one language, so people can easy communicate.

At the point of colonization, one way people is hard to accept this change, will think it is not a good change. But on the other hand people can learn some thing new and at least two language have combined into one.

They said no one thing is absolutely good and bad. Things have two kind of affection. Good and bad.
Asep

Post by Asep »

Yes, once I wondered why people in the whole world didn't speak one single language from the time they were born. So we never need to learn English at all, do we? The entire world speaks the English language not only when they grow up and feel they have to learn to, but right before they can eat by themselves. But that is IMPOSSIBLE, buddies. We were born in different places so we grow up and speak different languages. Thanks to English we can understand each other, at least for some general things.
Sunny wrote:At this point, I agree with you, if we all speak the same language, we could easily understand each other.
But on the other hand, the native language should be protect well, because the development of the language could show the change of that nation. I think maybe you read the text" The Last Lesson", it is really a good artical
Begonia wrote:At the point of economy integration, it is good to use one language, so people can easy communicate.

At the point of colonization, one way people is hard to accept this change, will think it is not a good change. But on the other hand people can learn some thing new and at least two language have combined into one.

They said no one thing is absolutely good and bad. Things have two kind of affection. Good and bad.
Lee

Post by Lee »

Thank you for the reply posts.
I totally agree with you guys, and its so wonderful thing that we have English to communicate with any one lives in the world. i am sure someday English will be the internaional language . i am sure of that but we need to have one language as international language for communication and for the development and for many other things.
Thank you for you reply posts. :wink:
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

I think English is already an international language 8)
Asep

Post by Asep »

I guess what Lee meant was a language with no rival. In other words, it is used worldwide and no other languages are used in such a scope.
Dixie wrote:I think English is already an international language 8)
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

I know
Asep

Post by Asep »

Got a problem with my email account. Let's go to the chat room you told me instead, "everybody". I'll be on my way.
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

I've been there for quite a while, you know?

I met a Turkish guy and then someone said to me: "mmmm girl I want you" :twisted:
Asep

Post by Asep »

Who did you think he was? Let me finish him later. :evil:
:evil:
Dixie wrote:I've been there for quite a while, you know?

I met a Turkish guy and then someone said to me: "mmmm girl I want you" :twisted:
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Haha, just told him: "How do you know I am a girl?"
He said: "Are you a boy?"
I said: "I am a MAN"
and he replied: "oooh I don't want you, man"

:D
friday

Re: Why Some Countries Native Languages Are Dying Out.

Post by friday »

Anonymous wrote:i don't know why some of the native languages are dying out !
what is your views on this??? Thank you :wink: [/b]
the answer is clear. because globalisation is a huge firm. firms governs our world. and they interest only money, not cultural richness...
Sunny

Post by Sunny »

Do not be afraid, I think we could speak our native language with the local friends, speak English with the abroad friends :D
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Well I don't see any other solution, I can't talk to you guys in Catalan and expect you will understand; as well as you can't talk to me in Vietnamese :D