THE SEVEN WODERS OF OUR MODERN WORLD!

Add your poems, essays and short stories here. Please do not post work by other writers.

Moderator: EC

Marzieh

THE SEVEN WODERS OF OUR MODERN WORLD!

Post by Marzieh »

Yesterday I read "The Seven Wonders of the Ancient World" written by kimo. It was quite cool, no doubt. But have you ever wondered what "The Seven Wonders of the Modern World" are? Well, thinking about it, I wrote a list of what, I think, are our modern world's 7 wonders. Here it is:

Computers, Digital Art and the Net
Genetic Engineering
Space Travels
Live Shows on TV
Medical Science and Dangerous Diseases
Atomic Energy

Next time I'll tell you about each of them. Now I want you to ponder what I have written and let me know your comments on it (please).By the way, you can suggest what you think can be a wonder in our world.
Cordially,
Marzieh
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: THE SEVEN WODERS OF OUR MODERN WORLD!

Post by Dixie »

Marzieh wrote:By the way, you can suggest what you think can be a wonder in our world.
ME!!!!! ImageImageImageImageImage
Asep
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Asep »

Dixie wrote: ME!!!!! ImageImageImageImageImage
You got it! Hehehehe....
Marzieh

Post by Marzieh »

Computers, Digital Art and the Net:

Charles Babbage who is known as the father of computer by many people is considered to be a people-hater. He especially hated those people who could not do arithmetic. So what did he do?! He made an adding machine. It was a great help but Charles didn't want to stop with his adding machine in fact he wasn't satisfied with it. He wanted to build a machine with more facilities, a more advanced one I mean. But to build such a machine would cost him a lot. He asked the English government for help but they refused to help him. So he died without getting what he wants. His idea led into computers. Computers can do what Babbage's machine would have done: Think and count without making a mistake, run and control railroads and airlines, add thousands of numbers just in a flash, help guide rockets to the outer space, to put it in a nutshell they have revolutionized our world. You know, it is really early days for computers. Yet there's a lot to come!
The Net is the most important part of the computers` wonders. Our ancestors could not even dream of communicating with people from all over the world just sitting in their cozy apartments. Thanks to the Net information is available for every one. Search engines can provide you with any of different pieces of information, just in less than a second or so.
Digital art is another wonder of the computers. Years ago people thought that it is not easy to take photos without being a photographer. But nowadays it is as easy as duck soup! You don't need to have proficiency. You can take beautiful photos with your
digital cam. You just need to know Photoshop!

Did You Know That…?
-there will soon be computers that can exchange more words that have ever been spoken in the whole history by mankind, just in a few seconds!
-age of the average computer programmer is 12!
-if the car industry had developed at the same rate as the computers over the past few years, a Rolls-Royce would now cost less than 50p?
-In 1843, a mathematician, Ada Byron, published the first computer programs. She based them on Jacquard's punch-card idea. Her programs were for the first general-purpose mechanical digital computer that was just invented by Charles Babbage.

References: Headway student's book, The ILI English student's book.
Last edited by Marzieh on Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marzieh

Post by Marzieh »

Genetic Engineering:
Today genetics is one of the most important branches of biology. Genetics deals with what we call biotechnology, i.e. developing a living creature by changing the information on its genes. Almost every body knows a little about genetics.
Scientists use this science in agriculture, treating diseases, producing new medicines, etc. Until the early years of the last century, we did not know much about genetics. But some scientists like Gregor Johann Mendel, who is known as the father of the genetics, did a great deal and their experiments worked as a basis for other's experiments.
Our century (2000-2100)is called the genetics age.
Chet Baker
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Chet Baker »

Dixie wrote:
Marzieh wrote:By the way, you can suggest what you think can be a wonder in our world.
ME!!!!! ImageImageImageImageImage
Absolutely :R: :R:
Chet Baker
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Chet Baker »

I agree that the items in the list are, of course, within the list of greatest inventions. But your list is not exhausted. Telecommunication is also one of the greatest inventions. others including Electricity, submarine, etc. There are too many actually.

Anyway, Thank you for sharing your view. i am benefited from your work. :D
idalia
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by idalia »

I agree with the items mentioned in the list and I really appreciate the information, it was new knowlegde for me, but what I think is that all those wonders are included in one....

THE HUMAN BRAIN

without this complex machine, none of those things would exist

;)
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

idalia wrote:I agree with the items mentioned in the list and I really appreciate the information, it was new knowlegde for me, but what I think is that all those wonders are included in one....

THE HUMAN BRAIN

without this complex machine, none of those things would exist

;)
Totally agree with you! :R:
Marzieh

Post by Marzieh »

thanks for all your opinions!

:R: :D :P
Lilian
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Lilian »

very nice info...

i would love to know about other wonders....mentioned in the list... :)
English is my second language
thorung

Post by thorung »

Marzieh wrote: you can suggest what you think can be a wonder in our world.
Cordially,
Marzieh
Your list is exciting, but I think it's still lacking one wonder that it's always existing in every era and in everybody it is "MOTHER". How do you think about that???! :)
Marzieh

Post by Marzieh »

thorung wrote:
Marzieh wrote: you can suggest what you think can be a wonder in our world.
Cordially,
Marzieh
Your list is exciting, but I think it's still lacking one wonder that it's always existing in every era and in everybody it is "MOTHER". How do you think about that???! :)
Well you know this list is about modern wonders.Mothers have always been a wonder. ;) :D
Marzieh

Post by Marzieh »

Space Travels:

Not a very long time ago, many scientists thought that going to space would be impossible. But soon they were to change their ideas! Just when they saw Apollo 11, Yuri Gagarin and Neil Armstrong. May be you have heard of Armstrong's famous statement while walking on the surface of the moon: "That's one small step for a man, a giant leap for mankind." And he was totally right.
Today there are astronauts who spend long times in outer space. And they're mission is to help humankind know a great deal about the universe. They have been successful till today, but the more we learn about the universe, is the more we know we haven't learnt anything yet! That's why we will never stop exploring either here on Earth or beyond it.
For me it has always been a wish to be in a spacecraft and experience weightlessness.
Who can deny the beauty of Earth's scene from space?!

Did You Know That…?

-The space shuttle travels at 8 km per second. That is about 300 times faster than a car on the freeway, and over 30 times as fast as an airliner.
-There soon will be manned flights to Mars-and perhaps, in a distant future, permanent settlement there or on other planets.

A Closer Look at Solar System's Planets:
Uranus’ winter and summer seasons last the equivalent of 21 Earth years.
Venus is the only planet that rotates clockwise.
Astronomers once believed a planet named Vulcan existed between Mercury and the Sun.
Jupiter is the fastest rotating planet, which can complete one revolution in less than ten hours.
Neptune was the first planet in our solar system to be discovered by mathematics.
One Neptune year lasts 165 Earth years.
Last edited by Marzieh on Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Marzieh

Post by Marzieh »

Live Shows on TV:

A party, a football match, a feeling that you can share with millions or may be milliards of people: Lights and sounds turn the Earth into a small hall.
Live shows on TV are one of the most important features of our world. It is something like a pleasant feeling of surprise, a kind of entertainment that cannot be replaced by anything else. It gives me chills to think that I am watching something like a football match that is occurring at the other side of the Earth! Well I think that all "oceans", "continents" and "cultures" lose their meanings at this time: We are all close to each other!
Live show is a kind of magic that entitles you to have the same thing as others; without caring about your race, religion or your bank account!
amanita

Post by amanita »

do you know that your writting is interesting for me :mrgreen: :R:
I love Badminton very much!
Marzieh

Post by Marzieh »

Medical science:

Surely nothing has ever been more helpful than medical science in bringing health and happiness to mankind. Millions of people are saved by penicillin every day. Hundreds of us use aspirin and vitamin pills every morning. Average of life expectancy has risen considerably just because of advances in medical science.

Did You Know That…?
- Medical researchers contend that no disease ever identified has been completely eradicated.
-In 1972, a group of scientists reported that you could cure the common cold by freezing the big toe.
-Sumerians (from 5000 BC) thought that the liver made blood and the heart was the center of thought.
-According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), 18 million courses of antibiotics are prescribed for the common cold in the United States per year. Research shows that colds are caused by viruses. 50 million unnecessary antibiotics are prescribed for viral respiratory infections.