You can ask me anything about Hong Kong.

Talk about travel, tourism and your holidays.

Moderator: EC

Chet Baker
Rising Star
Rising Star

You can ask me anything about Hong Kong.

Post by Chet Baker »

I am living in Hong Kong since i was born. If you are interested to anything about Hong Kong, Please feel free to ask me. I will try to reply to your question as soon as i can. And I hope that you will find my infomation useful. ;)
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Wow, how nice.

What can you tell me about the Hong Kong Island? :roll:
RedRose

Post by RedRose »

I heard that HK women are violent to their husbands, is it true?

an american guy wrote in his book:"when I had been in HK, I always saw HK women rebuking their husbands loudly, but when I had been in Korea, I always found Korean men criticising their wives."

yeah, maybe HK women have a high social class.
Chet Baker
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Chet Baker »

Dixie wrote:Wow, how nice.

What can you tell me about the Hong Kong Island? :roll:
Hi, Dixie. I am glad that you are interested to know about Hong Kong. I hope that you will find my information useful.

As you have seen from a previous topic about Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island is a part of Hong Kong Administrative Region after 1997. Hong Kong actually consists of 3 main parts, namely, New Territories, Kowloon and Hong Kong together with more than 200 hundred small islands, those small islands are part of New Territories. The biggest island is known as Lantau Island. The new airport, the biggest Buddha and the Disney’s Land are situated in this island.

In respect of Hong Kong Island, the most crowded places are Central and Causeway Bay. In term of the land value of commercial property, they are also the most expensive place in Hong Kong. For example, the market value of 1 square feet in both areas is around HK$40,000 to HK$60,000 (USD 1 equivalent to HK$7.8). Many famous brands established their shops in these two areas, such as Dior, Gucci, LV, Prada, things like that. Cosmetic items are not subject to any tax. Therefore, tourists usually come to Hong Kong for shopping.

Despite of the modern things in town, there are also many traditional things. In term of transportation, there are Star Ferry and tram. In respect of cross Victory Harbour service by Star Ferry (http://www.starferry.com.hk/new/), the whole journey from Central in Hong Kong Island to Tsim Sha Tsui in Kowloon side (another famous shopping area in Hong Kong, the biggest shopping mall is known as “Harbour City”, there are more than five hundred shops and all well known brands are inclusive) is around 6 to 10 minutes. The schedule of the ferry is frequent and it is not crowded except during the peak hours(8am to 9:00am and 5:30pm to 7:00pm). The ferry service first started at 1888, but diesel engine was not introduced to the vessels until 1933. Nowadays, some ferry are air-conditioned.

Star Ferry contributes an important part to the Hong Kong history. In 1966, riot and strike broke out due to increment of ferry fare. Nowadays, there many ways to cross the harbor though, but Star ferry is still a direct and cheapest way among other transportation(HK$2 per adult and half for child, student and senior citizen). If you want to see the night view of the Hong Kong Island and Kowloon peninsula, expect the Peak, Star Ferry is the best.

Double-deck Tram(http://www.info.gov.hk/td/eng/transport/tram.html), it is one of the oldest and traditional English style transportation in Hong Kong. Electric trams have started its service in Hong Kong since 1904. The route start from Western District to Shau Kei Wan(Eastern District in Hong Kong Island). The whole journey will last at least 2 hours or more subject to the traffic conditions. It is 3 times longer than the subway. Although, it is slowest among the others, ironically, it is so crowed all the time. It may because of its cheapest fare(HK$2 per adult and $1 for child, student and senior citizen.)

One of a horse racing course is situated in Happy valley between Wan Chai and Causeway Bay (the another one is in Sha Tin of New Territory). Horse racing season start from September of each year and end at around May, Entrance fee to the race course is free of charge. It is a good place to visit, you can definitely feel the excitement of gambling, although I don’t like and I don’t suggest any people take part in gambling.

Despite of the exciting part of Hong Kong Island (the abovementioned are not exhausted), there are many place where you can visit to enjoy the natural side of Hong Kong, i.e. walking tracks. You may start walking from Querry Bay to Stanley. It takes around 2 to 3 hours. You will see a water reservoir on the way. Apart from the reservoir, you can see a water centre where can play water activities, riding boat, swimming etc. there is a Barbecue area. Barbecue style in Hong Kong is different from US or Australia Style, you will not find pre-heated flat pan in the BBQ area but a chopped coal oven surrounded by stone chair. We use long handle folk, fixed the meat on the top(chicken wings, chicken leg, steak, poke chop, things like that) and put them directly on the fire and directly apply honey on them when it is ready to serve. These ovens are first come first serve basic. Usually, you have to queue during the weekend.

If you want to laid back after a long day shopping, you may to go to Stanley at the sunset for drinking and dinner. There are many sea front pub and restaurant including Thai, Brazil BBQ, Italian, French and ordinary Hong Kong style street restaurant (Tai Pai Dong) etc.
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Thank you so much, Chet Baker ;) That was really interesting and nice from you. XieXieNi!
Chet Baker
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Chet Baker »

RedRose wrote:I heard that HK women are violent to their husbands, is it true?

an american guy wrote in his book:"when I had been in HK, I always saw HK women rebuking their husbands loudly, but when I had been in Korea, I always found Korean men criticising their wives."

yeah, maybe HK women have a high social class.
Yeah, that’s true. They are not just fighting; some of them may try to kill each other. Because most of them involved in these situation are suffered from mental illness. We may call such people “nuts”. Actually, violent couples are not common in Hong Kong. The situation decribed by the American is not common in Hong Kong neither.

Women in Hong Kong enjoy and entitle to equal opportunities with man. Their rights are protected by law and there is a Equal Opportunities Committees to safeguard women’s right in term of everything including employment and other miscellaneous matter. In my opinion, the Social level of woman is not lower than man in anyway. They are no longer housewife or secretary, they can be executive, ceo or even boss of a company.

Anyway, I prefer to work with a male boss. ;)
Chet Baker
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Chet Baker »

violet wrote:
Chet Baker wrote: Anyway, I prefer to work with a male boss. ;)
hmmm, that's a smart attitude! ;)

Thanks for your introduction, Chet!
Yeah, without any disrespect to any female, honestly, it is my true feeling :cry: . I have tried to work for a female boss many years ago. The fact was that the instructions, attitude and other miscellaneous things of my ex-boss changed frequently mainly subject to her mood and her mood was so unstable :evil: . When she was not happy, she would throw files from her room and closed the door violently. It sounds she suffered from mental illness, but her face would change completely when she talked about money with client. Well…this kind of syndrome can be called “partial hysterical”. :evil:
RedRose

Post by RedRose »

I prefer a female boss.