Generalised Failure in English Teaching / Learning

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

sancoi

Generalised Failure in English Teaching / Learning

Post by sancoi »

Hello everybody,

I'm a Spanish Teacher of English looking for the reason why the educational system in my country is a complete failure as far as the teaching of Enlglish is concerned. Pupils here start to learn English at the age of four years old and when they finish the Secondary School and are about to enter the university, they can hardly express their thoughts in English. They hold no fluency at all in either speaking, listening, reading or writing in English on average. Therefore, even though English is growingly becoming more and more necessary for everyone and there is a noticeable pressure to learn it from the job market, there seem to be no good solution for students to acquire an acceptable knowledge or level in this language. Only those children regularly visiting English-speaking countries manage to grasp a good level of English. But this is something that not everyone can afford, unluckily. What can we as Teachers of English do to get the best results in our duty?
maripi

Post by maripi »

First at all, I would like to know where you are from, maybe your students are not interested in speaking English because they have not realized if they need it or not.
I think in some schools they do not use English to communicate, they just teach it in a grammar context; this is an important reason because students do not learn it. I'm sure if you teach English in a communicative approach they are going to speak English. :|
Santi Colomer

How to get an actual motivation?

Post by Santi Colomer »

Hello again and tyhanks for your reply,

you are really right when saying that they are taught English in an absolutely grammar context. Unfortunately, that's what we teachers are expected and instructed to do. Moreover, even though English is the target language of the session, instructions are mainly done in the native language (Catalan in my case) since students don't have the desirable level so as to understand a full session or instruction in English. Besides, they have no interest at all in learning a new language because they see no point in it, no immediate profit or benefit. It's then so hard to motivate them and to get them involved in the communication process. They only want to learn what they will be asked about in the exam: grammar. But what is grammar? That¡s completely unreal, tha's an invention of we teachers and linguists in order for people to easier learn and study a new language. what is grammar without real communication and interactive participation and actual, frequent and fruitful use of the target language?
klj;/io;

kl;

Post by klj;/io; »

[/ty] :roll: kl;;tykjgkl

Post by Guest »

yes.i agree if learning language without communication ,it is not the final objective for us to do that.... from my point of view...i have learnt english for years. even now..i have more chance to read english books or speak.. but still very shy to speak... one reason is that .. friends around me all get used to speak native language, to some extent, it views that so natural to speak native language rather than foreign language( english). as times pass by..the less you open mouth to speak, the less willling to speak afterwards.. right now.. my case is that i only speak english with friends who are not able to speak native language.. something like i am forced to speak......when we speak..is it much concerned about the grammer?
linss2560

Post by linss2560 »

yes.i agree if learning language without communication ,it is not the final objective for us to do that.... from my point of view...i have learnt english for years. even now..i have more chance to read english books or speak.. but still very shy to speak... one reason is that .. friends around me all get used to speak native language, to some extent, it views that so natural to speak native language rather than foreign language( english). as times pass by..the less you open mouth to speak, the less willling to speak afterwards.. right now.. my case is that i only speak english with friends who are not able to speak native language.. something like i am forced to speak......when we speak..is it much concerned about the grammer?

Post by Guest »

maripi wrote:First at all, I would like to know where you are from, maybe your students are not interested in speaking English because they have not realized if they need it or not.
I think in some schools they do not use English to communicate, they just teach it in a grammar context; this is an important reason because students do not learn it. I'm sure if you teach English in a communicative approach they are going to speak English. :|
:lol:
María

motivation

Post by María »

:wink: I think we as teachers have to find ways to motivate our students to learn English. I know that they do not see any point to do it, but if they realised that they can speak English for a purpose maybe they are going to make an effort to learn. I have found a way. I ask my sutudents to chat in Internet, but they have to do it in English so when we go to the computer lab and they can chat in English they feel comfortable and then they want to improve their own knowledge. I hope it can help you. Thanks any way to listen to me.
lds

Post by lds »

I agree with you ,if someone want to speak English freely and clearly he must forget his native langrage.and if some one want his speaking -english lever up,he must make chance to speak and write,the best chance that he can speak english with american or englishman ,even he can become this person's student,that ,he will have many chance to study perfect prounceation.many pepole said that speak englidh is very difficult,because we are shy,we are afriad to make a mistake .but if we didnot make a mistake we wont have progress.
I want we can become friende to chang our view and make our english progress.
carles

Post by carles »

Hi all,

I am Catalan too and I know this problem, but the solution is hard to get, since there is no language which can be learned only in the classroom. There are a few movie theaters which display movies with subtitles and many parents are not worried about the English learning process of their children. So I think we need more tools so that children can acquire a better level of English.

Take care
Amanda

Post by Amanda »

Hello,
Is there an English speaking show on TV in your area?
Before I came to the US, I learned French as a second language for many years and English as third language for one year. I could only write and read in French. I was very weak in English. Now nearly three decades later living in the US, I looked back and credited my English speaking skill from watching lot of TV shows like "Three's Company". Also I was forced to speak English daily with other people. Learning a new language is like learning a new skill. Practice makes perfect. By the way my French language is now gone. Best of luck to you and your students.
Sincerely.
innocent055

no title

Post by innocent055 »

ı'm from turkey.I'm studying in an üniversity and I'll be an english teacher.However,my english knowledge was very weak except my grammar abilitywhen I started to the school. Because the only one that I had been taught was only grammar but I hadn't known this situation before I started to the school.later,I found out my english was weak.ı think a detailed grammar is very confusing.While writing or speaking,you are being confused for correcting your grammar mistakes.
besides this situation,people in turkey don't have self-confidence.in other words,trusting yourself effects this situation..ıf you are a shy person,your speaking ability may not improve and this problem will influence your abilities like writing,reading.that is they are very important to learn a language very well.
rul

Re: Generalised Failure in English Teaching / Learning

Post by rul »

I´m english student, I recommend you that you apply some learning techniques about games, songs and competitions. I think that we should break all our paradigms about traditionalist method.

See you.
Cassy

talk

Post by Cassy »

Students should discuss different questions (topics) during the lessons. They should retell the texts and know the proverbs. With best wishes, Teacher of English from Ukraine.