Pronounciation

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

English Learner

Pronounciation

Post by English Learner »

Is it necessary for a ESL student to learn phonic? And I have difficulty to pronoun the letters "s" and "x"? To me, they sound similar.
Any advices would be appreciated. :)
vivina

Re: Pronounciation

Post by vivina »

I'm a english learner and the most dificult i have is a pronunciation
i'm good in writing and reading .

English Learner wrote:Is it necessary for a ESL student to learn phonic? And I have difficulty to pronoun the letters "s" and "x"? To me, they sound similar.
    vivina

Post by vivina »

Hi... i am a new user , first at all i'm not pretty sure if i'm using this programm in a right way. but anyway im looking to improve my english
    and writing, reading but more in pronunciation. im not to bad but sometimes is so much frustate when some body don't undestand me.
    So, please if some one can give a hand i will appreciate it
    Dolamar

Post by Dolamar »

English Learner wrote:Is it necessary for a ESL student to learn phonic?

Yea, it is necessary for any student of any language to try and attain good pronunciation. If that's what you meant. :?
    English Learner wrote:And I have difficulty to pronoun the letters "s" and "x"? To me, they sound similar.
    The sound for x usually varies between:

1) xylophone x = zi <--i here is like the English pronoun I.

2) xenon x = zii <-- ii here is like:
    • The i in machine.
    • The ي in عربي if you speak Arabic.

By itself it's just eks. As you can see though it usually just sounds like z. :roll:

S in pretty much like the S in hanyu pinyin if you speak Chinese or the س in سلام if you speak Arabic.

I think z is a stop, I'm not oo sure though. :? Anyways it is similar to ز in زهرة if you speak Arabic.

When I was a child I used to mix up the pronunciation of z and s (consequently x too). :(
    This is what I was told to remember the difference (at least what I can remember):

S slithers like a snake.

Okay, hopefully I didn't mess up here and hopefully this explanation works well for you and others too. :(

I'm such a terrible teacher! :cry: