Are exams a waste of time?

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

User avatar
TalkingPoint
EC Teacher
EC Teacher
Posts: 251
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 2:21 pm
Status: English Teacher
Location: England
Contact:

Are exams a waste of time?

Postby TalkingPoint » Tue Aug 05, 2003 4:58 pm

Are exams a waste of time?

What do YOU think?
Last edited by TalkingPoint on Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.

member

certainly no

Postby member » Tue Aug 26, 2003 12:54 pm

:) Hi there,
You're not right, exams are so good for us, not waste of time. You know, if there no have exam that means you never know what skill you are in. Do you agree with me? Sometime it's useless because there no fare in exam course,right ? But not always. Let's think about what I said. Have a nice day, bye.
Tram

rainbow

Postby rainbow » Fri Sep 05, 2003 8:38 am

We really need exams to check what we get after studying. Sometimes the exam results are motive for us to study harder...I mean we'll have to compete with our classmate ohh it's ashamed to get bad marks while the others get good ones. But sometimes exams put press on us.It's terrible :cry:

Guest

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 06, 2003 1:01 am

:( Are exams the only way to check our skills or motive for study?Can educators invent a better method to achieve that?

koven

re

Postby koven » Mon Sep 08, 2003 3:30 pm

Anonymous wrote::( Are exams the only way to check our skills or motive for study?Can educators invent a better method to achieve that?
We all hope so..u know...But there is an important fact:The indulgence of human naature.We can't deny that.There r too few spontaneous learner,as i know.There is not a student liking it,but irony there is few ones who will learn things by themself without the pushing of exam.I used to hate that to hell,when i am a little boy.But now i am a freshman,i have a different perspective on this(positively i think).I can't
imagine that if there were no exams.U must think i am crazy or a kind of
sicko,but who dare to stand up and say:oh! If there were no exams,i am much better now.When we were kids,few of us can sit on a chair with our 2 eyes wide open happily reading a book.But when we grow up,little by little do we realize the importance of learning.So i don't think exams itself is a bad thing,of course it's by no means a sweet chocolate.Now recall each period of ur learning course and take out those exams,how it will turn out to be now?

hugoromo

Are Exams a Waste of Time?

Postby hugoromo » Tue Sep 23, 2003 12:30 am

Well, as an educator I say no, perhaps students see this in a different spectrum.

In my teaching performance I´ve tried to show my students ,in practice , that exams can be fun.
All of these thru at a small pace, giving them the tools to put their own ideas in practice.

I challenge them into new situations, for example the world, techonology and personal topics.
One of the things that they are very clear by know is that one thing is to speak a second language and another it is to sound intelligent in a second one, in this case English.

I do believe, that exams are part of the overall performance that we persue, and as an instructor, I have the interesting and no less challenging responsibility to show them that exams are in a way one of the tools that I have to measure their own ideas.

PD: Our higher mark in Chile is a 7.0. Anyone who has been taught by me has this mark at the beginning of a test. Thru the process of correction some mistakes appear and at the end you keep the highest mark or not.
But the most important thing for my students is to express their ideas in a clear and simple way.

HugoR
Chile

Mystical Enlightenment

Are exams a Waste of Time?

Postby Mystical Enlightenment » Wed Sep 24, 2003 2:30 am

Well, certainly not! They are not a waste of time, in fact, we profit from the time we spent to study. Exams promotes self-esteem, too. Like if you got 2nd position in class and you feel like beating the top, you can study study study til you beat the top. It gives you self confidence, too. :)

costadina

exams

Postby costadina » Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:35 pm

iI believe that whether exams are a waste of time of not depends on how you use them. If you use them to measure a students ability and to find their weak spots in order to help them improve, then they are useful. If you use them as the only way of measuring their competency, then I don't think they are the best way to measure competency. Most students preform badly in exams due to stress. :( ][/i]

esfahanian56

exams

Postby esfahanian56 » Fri Oct 24, 2003 9:44 am

exams can improve our english when we really dont know if we are ok or not. as a matter of fact some times we dont understand our mistakes. this is when exam can help us to know.

jackie

Re: Are Exams a Waste of Time?

Postby jackie » Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:00 am

hugoromo wrote:Well, as an educator I say no, perhaps students see this in a different spectrum.

In my teaching performance I´ve tried to show my students ,in practice , that exams can be fun.
All of these thru at a small pace, giving them the tools to put their own ideas in practice.

I challenge them into new situations, for example the world, techonology and personal topics.
One of the things that they are very clear by know is that one thing is to speak a second language and another it is to sound intelligent in a second one, in this case English.

I do believe, that exams are part of the overall performance that we persue, and as an instructor, I have the interesting and no less challenging responsibility to show them that exams are in a way one of the tools that I have to measure their own ideas.

PD: Our higher mark in Chile is a 7.0. Anyone who has been taught by me has this mark at the beginning of a test. Thru the process of correction some mistakes appear and at the end you keep the highest mark or not.
But the most important thing for my students is to express their ideas in a clear and simple way.

HugoR
Chile


:D Bravo, I couldn't agree more.

In fact, exams is the best ways to review my knowledge. Just imagine, if we have no exams, we'll not how much we 've gained stuff and even we have no motivation to go ahead ( it sometimes makes us nervous and even causes under stress) :wink:

And one more important things that we have many chances to show our ideas in clear and have s.o else to correct our mistakes. :D

tranthang

Re: Are Exams a Waste of Time?

Postby tranthang » Tue Nov 04, 2003 6:14 am

HI!
At first i have to state that exams are so impotaint in studying.
But in my opinion i dont really concentrade on that. The harder i learn the better i feel because i study English by myself :D
Therefore, how to measure our skills without the exam ? I mean those are the official exams. They are the ruler of knowlegdes. They show us that what we 've done, how much we 've been aware of and more Do u like passing the exam with a good mark ? And do u want to know what u have learned?
exam is the only way to know overally although it is not essy at all
good luck !!!

kevin

Postby kevin » Thu Nov 06, 2003 3:02 am

8) how to say ! exams are very important .in a word,exams are connected with the study .to me .exam is nessesary sometime ,it is an method to test one's ability after all .but we can't judge people only by it .

galina

Are exams a waste of time?

Postby galina » Mon Dec 01, 2003 5:55 am

I think that exams are agreat deal.
First of all, exams make us to revise and repeat our knowledge. That is the main key of education.
Secondly, we can develop our ability to industriousness and punctuality and make us more disciplined.These are very useful quality for our prospective job and life in general.
At last, taking exams, we can get assessment for our knowledge and then make appropriate conclusion.
Those, who want to achieve a genuine success in life must attach a big attention to pass their exams very well.
Good luck for everybody.

[quote][/quote]

AC/DC

Exams

Postby AC/DC » Mon Dec 15, 2003 8:27 am

It's a HUGE waste of time. School is a waste of time. No practics, just theory. It's mad. School is a hell for me.

User avatar
maria
Member
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:26 pm
Location: Hong Kong

Are exams a waste of time?

Postby maria » Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:09 pm

I don't think that exam is a waste of time. Let's think, if there is no exam, will you study hard after each lesson? I don't think so. I think that exam is a way to motivate us to gain knowledge. Of course ,you can say that it is a low level way to push us to work hard, but we are not saint, not everyone have the initiative to study hard without the exam. Therefore, I believe, for those who LOVE studying, exam for them is just a game. For those who are lazy, exam is like a whip, which is necessary for studying.

However, I really don't like the exam format in Hong Kong. I always believe that exam is a tool to test your true level of knowledge.But in Hong Kong, the exams should be finished in a limited time. Well, I really can't write a good essay with 4 pages in 50 minutes.That's a exam require us to do. When I need to write a essay in exam, I run out of idea. Therefore, I get a dissatisfactory result in exam even though I do it quite well in the normal class period.Thus, I think exam in Hong Kong can't really reflect the true strength of the students.Why must exam have a short time limit? Are the exam authority going to produce a whole batch of robots, everyone do the works quickly and accurately?

In fact, I have a dream, that is, all the exams have no time limit, or have a time limit of a day, the one who finish the paper can leave first, and the others can still continue to work if they want to. Only this can reflet the true knowledge of the students, and exams will be more meaningful than what we have now.But a dream is a dream. I don't know what is the case in other country, but I am sure, at least in HK , my ideal exam format will not be possible. :?

User avatar
Peterson
Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 10:14 am
Contact:

Postby Peterson » Sat Oct 02, 2004 2:42 am

Exams are not a waste time at all! Whether you are educators or students, you need them to testify if you have got yourself understood to others, or even to lyourself. Without exams, what else can find to be a substituion for this?

Guest

Re: Are exams a waste of time?

Postby Guest » Sat Oct 02, 2004 6:13 am

maria wrote:
However, I really don't like the exam format in Hong Kong. I always believe that exam is a tool to test your true level of knowledge.But in Hong Kong, the exams should be finished in a limited time. Well, I really can't write a good essay with 4 pages in 50 minutes.That's a exam require us to do. When I need to write a essay in exam, I run out of idea. Therefore, I get a dissatisfactory result in exam even though I do it quite well in the normal class period.Thus, I think exam in Hong Kong can't really reflect the true strength of the students.Why must exam have a short time limit? Are the exam authority going to produce a whole batch of robots, everyone do the works quickly and accurately?

That's not only in Hong Kong; it's like that everywhere. If they don't set an amount of time, why is it called an examination then?

User avatar
Arale
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board
Posts: 755
Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 7:05 am
Status: English Learner
Location: Vietnam

Postby Arale » Sat Oct 02, 2004 12:29 pm

Exams cannot be demolished because it is a useful tool to measure the result of students and teachers.From that, we can adjust the education program and teaching &learning method more suitably.

_Arale_

User avatar
paradise
Silver Member
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2004 12:00 am
Location: EGYPT
Contact:

Postby paradise » Sun Oct 03, 2004 12:39 am

hi all
i think that exams it is a waste of time because it is as a revision for what u study and at the final exam u will find ur self just only refresh ur mind .
The one who guides to something good has a reward similar to its doer

Guest

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:48 am

paradise wrote:hi all
i think that exams it is a waste of time because it is as a revision for what u study and at the final exam u will find ur self just only refresh ur mind .

It doesn't make sense.


Return to “Talking Point Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests