Mistakes in Class

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

TeachESL

Mistakes in Class

Post by TeachESL »

How do you learners of English feel about having your mistakes corrected in class? When do you think they should be corrected - right after having made them or at the end of the class? Remember, however, the teacher can't write down every time students make mistakes in order to tell them at the end. And how would you like the teacher to handle these mistakes? As a teacher, I would very much like your feedback on this. Thank you.
Karen Liao

Making mistakes in the classroom

Post by Karen Liao »

I am an English teacher in the elementary school. For me, I think the pronunciation is quite crucial at this period. Because they are beginners, I think they must learn the right pronunciation, or later they will not change their mistakes. Mostly, I will correct the mistakes made by most of the students, and they will be conscious of their mistakes. They won't feel hurt because the faults are made by most people. For individuals, I won't correct them unless the pronunciation is quite weird. I will make them repeat several times until they find the mistakes by themselves. If they don't find out, then I will say the right pronunciation and make them repeat again. One point is quite important, that is, don't make them feel frustrated and hurt their self-seteem. If they don't make huge mistakes, I will just pass it by and ignore it. After all, if a person is always corrected when he/she tries to say something, I think he/she is tend to give up.
Hope this helps! :) [/quote]