Do we have to be Christian to celebrate Christmas?

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderators: Vega, Krisi, TalkingPoint

Post Reply
User avatar
TalkingPoint
EC Teacher
EC Teacher
Posts: 251
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 2:21 pm
Status: English Teacher
Location: England

Do we have to be Christian to celebrate Christmas?

Post by TalkingPoint » Tue Aug 05, 2003 4:37 pm

Do we have to be Christian to celebrate Christmas?

Christmas is a Christian festival that is celebrated all over the world. Is it OK for people to celebrate Christmas if they are not Christian?
Last edited by TalkingPoint on Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

Guest

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 28, 2003 10:05 am

hi friends :D
i think goodness is known for everybody so all people can celebrate for goodness and for birth of one of nice humans that has lived in the world all of us can celebrate. By this we would remember that FAIR IS FAIR.
sorry i'm not good at english :oops: and maybe i couldn't say what i mean in a nice way.
bye and make it a great day. :wink:

Marisol

Is it right to celebrate Christmas if you are not Christian?

Post by Marisol » Tue Sep 02, 2003 12:11 pm

Yes. I think Cristmas involve a cultural aspect more than a religious one. Children are educated and brought up in traditions and cultural events even if they aren´t taught religious questions. I like my children playing drums and singing carrols but I don´t like them to be crying because Jesus was killed by "bad people".

Mystical Enlightenment

Do we have to be Christian to celebrate Christmas?

Post by Mystical Enlightenment » Wed Sep 24, 2003 2:20 am

Certainly! I may not be a Christian myself, but I certainly feel sad when I did not join my brother's neighbourhood in Australia singing Christmas carols :( ...My mother forbid me, saying that we Buddhist, cannot follow do what they are doing. Well, I DENY that!!! It certainly is wrong, Christmas is the time to get along together! It is the time when we all remembered Jesus love that he has given to us! And it certainly was no fun when we did not get to exchange presents!!! So, whether you are a Christian or not a Christian, be merry and be happy! :D

tuyet anh

Christmas is for christians

Post by tuyet anh » Fri Sep 26, 2003 4:05 am

Christmas is certainly the festival for people all over the world. I myself am not a Christtian, but i like celebating it among my friends. :?: We both enjoy eating Christmas pudding and expecting to get the lucky coin.
Zeus is a saint whose love is equal to everybody aroung the world irrespective of his races, his religion andso on.
It's sad to think that Christmas is only for christians :x. Its not fair

dinusha

Re: Do we have to be Christian to celebrate Christmas?

Post by dinusha » Sat Oct 04, 2003 2:25 pm

Mystical Enlightenment wrote:Certainly! I may not be a Christian myself, but I certainly feel sad when I did not join my brother's neighbourhood in Australia singing Christmas carols :( ...My mother forbid me, saying that we Buddhist, cannot follow do what they are doing. Well, I DENY that!!! It certainly is wrong, Christmas is the time to get along together! It is the time when we all remembered Jesus love that he has given to us! And it certainly was no fun when we did not get to exchange presents!!! So, whether you are a Christian or not a Christian, be merry and be happy! :D

Cutegirl

I love Christmas !

Post by Cutegirl » Sat Oct 18, 2003 4:28 am

:D Hi iam Kathiah and iam actually not christian but i do celebrate Christmas , iam actually Muslim but iam not religous, i just LOVE Christmas and specialy the decorating thing and the gifts ...thats the most things that i like about Christmas , i have 2 big Christmas trees and a lot of cool ornamets i just love all the decorations of it and everything about Christmas .

Muslims believe in Jesus as a prophet and i believe in him , but i dont celebrate Christmas because of Jesus (sorry about that ) :oops: but iam not Christian so thats why :)

Me and my family LOVE christmas and we enjoy that day everyyear and we just like it .

i think EVERYONE should enjoy this wonderful day and celebrate it for just to have fun and gather with the family and enjoy decorating and have so much fun with the gifts too :) ........i think non -christians ppl can celebrate christmas the way that they want coz it is sooooooo cool and wonderful holiday :)

So hope you enjoy it and Merry christmas to alll here :) and hope u have a good one this year ;)

selokela

christmas

Post by selokela » Tue Oct 21, 2003 4:20 am

I am not happy about most of the replies send about wether one should celebrate christmas if he is not a christian. remember that God loves us and he send His only beloved son Jesus christ to come and save us from our sins. everybody shoud celebrate christmas wether christian or not. It is by his blood that we are all still alive. When he Jesus died he carried all our curses with him. Please let us all cebrate christmas.

Margarida

Do we have to be Christian to celebrate Christmas?

Post by Margarida » Tue Oct 28, 2003 8:00 am

I think Christmas is really a Christian festival, but wich became year by year, a family celebration well beyond the religions. A festival where people are happy to find themselves around a marvellous feast, laughing, discuss together, receive and exchange gifts and feelings. Christmas is the share's day. I think Christmas is the day wich amplifies hapiness :D for ones and sadness for those who are alone. :(

Circe

Christmas

Post by Circe » Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:24 pm

In my opinion everyone should celebrate Christmas. Christmas is no longer just a religious celebration, it is a season of the year!!!!
More and more people seem to be forgetting baby Jesus and replacing Him by Santa. They say Christmas is only about consumism nowadays, I agree, but everything becomes so full of light and the world is lacking it so much all the year round... so,let's just pretend the "Saviour has come" and enjoy everybody! :D :D :D !!!!

lizhi

christmas

Post by lizhi » Sun Nov 16, 2003 5:45 am

Anonymous wrote:hi friends :D
i think goodness is known for everybody so all people can celebrate for goodness and for birth of one of nice humans that has lived in the world all of us can celebrate. By this we would remember that FAIR IS FAIR.
sorry i'm not good at english :oops: and maybe i couldn't say what i mean in a nice way.
bye and make it a great day. :wink:
I think so :oops:

members

PEOPLE ' S CHRISMAS

Post by members » Tue Dec 02, 2003 5:36 am

Hi there !

I am a Christian and I am very disappointed if a Christmas season didn't have anyone who love the Christmas to join it. Who make a merry CHRISTMAS is the People themselves. It is the time when people around the world show their love to each other, not only just the Jesus.

8) :arrow: :roll:
Bye bye, I have a nice day.

Guest

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:06 am

I am from Russia and we celebrate Christmas on the 7th of January. The most celebrated holiday is New Year.
But i think it's not right. Christmas is the best holiday. Everybody must be happy this day.

Seyda

Christianly

Post by Seyda » Fri Dec 05, 2003 8:44 am

ın my opinion everybody must celebrate their own festival about their religion.

lienthu

agree with most of you

Post by lienthu » Fri Dec 05, 2003 3:24 pm

I'm not a Christian but i love Christmas. It 's very sad if we don't receive any greeting card ' merry Christmas and happy newyear 'in this occations.

caZ

Re: Do we have to be Christian to celebrate Christmas?

Post by caZ » Sat Dec 06, 2003 3:55 pm

i dont think that you have to be a christian to celebrate christmas because christmas is a time of loving and caring and whats the piont in that if only christians are celebrating it. we all need to get together and enjoy it as one big family. xxx caZ

GhostGirl

We didn't beleive in Christmas Day.

Post by GhostGirl » Sun Dec 07, 2003 7:39 am

I am a christian, of course, I believe in what bible says. However in our religion we didn't celebrate the Christmas Day. Because we are not believe that Jesus Christ was borne in the month of December.

You will know this if u check and read the bible with understanding with the help of right preacher of god.

LUCY

CHRISTMAS

Post by LUCY » Mon Dec 08, 2003 11:54 am

I THINK CHRISTMAS CAN BE CELEBRATED BY ALL PEOPLE ALL OVER THE WORD NOT BECAUSE OF A RELIGION CELEBRATION BUT BECAUSE OF A BEAUTIFUL HISTORY FOR THE CHILDREN. I THINK IT IS MORE A CULTURAL REASON TO CELEBRATE IT THAN RELIGIOUS REASON. IT IS AN OCCASION TO SPEND TIME WITH ALL THE FAMILY IN FRONT OF A GOOD DINNER ANDMAKE THE CHILD ENJOY WITH THEIR TOYS. IT ALSO AN OCCASION TO DECORATE THE HOUSE AND THE STREET AT THE BIGINNING OF THE WINTER AND TO FORGET THAT THE WEATHER WILL WILL BE BAD FOR 4 MONTHS...

Guest

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 18, 2003 8:12 am

:P I love this holiday!!! :wink: Hope, everyone will have a nice one!!!! :P :D :D :D

sanhong3

Post by sanhong3 » Wed Dec 24, 2003 4:36 am

Certainly not .I think all of us can cellerbrate it

Guest

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 19, 2004 9:33 pm

My family is Buddhist, but we DO celebrate Christmas. We don't do it like Christian people do it, though. We don't go to church. We don't do prayer. We only have a big family dinner and then hanging around, talking to each other, playing cards, singing karaoke, watching movies to wait for midnight. At midnight, we open our presents, taking pictures, hugging each other, and that's the end of a Christmas night. It doesn't sound like fun when I say it like this, but it's really fun in real life. Christmas is always my best winter holidays of the year since I have one month for winter break. :)

User avatar
pob
Silver Member
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed May 11, 2005 7:52 pm
Location: Bilbao

What is Christmas... or what is to celebrate something?

Post by pob » Sun May 29, 2005 11:32 am

I think the most people like party and doing something different, I don't think much people celebrate Christmas as what it "should" be, but they celebrate a pair of weeks (if your job allows you ;O) ) when you stay with family or do other things...

User avatar
Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member
Posts: 1196
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:40 am
Location: Australia

Post by Shazzam » Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:58 am

I can't see why anyone who is not Christian would want to celebrate Christmas. I mean after all christians are celebrating the birth of Christ. If you aren't christian why would you want to celebrate his birth. If you still want to have a party on this day it shouldn't be in celebration of christ. It doesn't make any sense! :? :o :roll:

User avatar
pob
Silver Member
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed May 11, 2005 7:52 pm
Location: Bilbao

Post by pob » Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:59 am

shazzam1452 wrote:I mean after all christians are celebrating the birth of Christ. :
;O) December 25 is not the day of Christ's birth, is the day of an ancient tradition Christians "absorved" in the Christianism in order to make those people stop believing in ancient traditions and believe in Christianism ;O)

The world didn't started with Adan and Eva... etc

There was a lot of traditions, religions, wisdom... before Jesus ;)

User avatar
Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member
Posts: 1196
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:40 am
Location: Australia

Post by Shazzam » Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:12 am

pob wrote:
shazzam1452 wrote:I mean after all christians are celebrating the birth of Christ. :
;O) December 25 is not the day of Christ's birth, is the day of an ancient tradition Christians "absorved" in the Christianism in order to make those people stop believing in ancient traditions and believe in Christianism ;O)

The world didn't started with Adan and Eva... etc

There was a lot of traditions, religions, wisdom... before Jesus ;)
Your point is?? My comments wasn't about history it was that christians celebrate Christs birth on that day!

User avatar
Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member
Posts: 1196
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:40 am
Location: Australia

Re: Christianly

Post by Shazzam » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:33 am

NOUBARA wrote:
Seyda wrote:ın my opinion everybody must celebrate their own festival about their religion.
Christmas is a festval celebrated longtime ago by christian to commemorate their link to Jesus. I think that muslims and other religious also believe in Jesus as the first Prophet before Mohamed. So they could celebrate this festival in order to express this fath. They are free to celebrate it
I think everyone has the right to celebrate this day if the chose too. I really liked your comments it is good to see that there are still people in this world that have an open heart. 8)

User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
Posts: 3925
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Re: Christianly

Post by MissLT » Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:01 am

shazzam1452 wrote: I think everyone has the right to celebrate this day if the chose too. I really liked your comments it is good to see that there are still people in this world that have an open heart. 8)
Christians celebrate it by going to church and dinner; non-Christians celebrate it by having dinner and not going to church. As for my case, I and some of my relative celebrate it in a non-Christian's way while some other relatives celebrate in a Christian's way. I'll explain you all why it happens like this. Well, my extended family is a Catholic born since the time of my great great-grandpa; however, my grandma and her children, except one, are Buddhists. Well, my grandma was a Catholic born, but she converted to Buddhism because of two reasons. One, my grandpa hated religions; therefore, he forbidded my grandma to practice it during their marriage. Two, she found Buddhism in hard times and found herself related to it, so she practiced it even my grandpa hated it. She chose Buddhism over her marriage, and my grandpa had to live with her new interest. Since my extended family has a mix of both religion, we think it's best for us non-Catholics to celebrate it with them except we don't need to go to church. All we do is having dinner, exchanging presents, playing games, and having fun with them all together. It's nice to spend time together, and it's nice to have presents. We only have two presents per year for birthday and Vietnamese New Year, so this day is an excuse for us non-Christians to have some presents. We love presents; therefore, we don't care what day it's supposed to be :lol: .

User avatar
Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member
Posts: 1196
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:40 am
Location: Australia

Post by Shazzam » Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:31 am

I think Christmas Day is about love, peace and togetherness. I doesn't matter why you celebrate this day, the fact that you celebrate it with your family and people that you love is exactly what this time of year is about. 8)

User avatar
Rui
Gold Member
Posts: 477
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:41 am
Location: World, Portugal, Porto, Maia

Post by Rui » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:39 am

i guess this question take us to other question, who celebrate the birth of jesus in christmas? i know it's sad but i guess some of the kids in portugal not even know what we are celebrating, they just wanna the presents because christmas has become in to market party where the marketing offices have a lot of work trying to seel everything that you could ever imagine, so it's a faze of the year when everybody buy everything for the kids, friends and relatives.... so the concept of jesus in my opinion it's very far away of that, i'm not putting myself out of this society, i live and i make the things like the others do, and I can be wrong but it’s what I feel.

P.S.- Sorry about my english, it's difficult to talk about a serious situations when you don't have grammar and vocabulary skills

User avatar
Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member
Posts: 1196
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:40 am
Location: Australia

Post by Shazzam » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:56 am

Rui wrote:i guess this question take us to other question, who celebrate the birth of jesus in christmas? i know it's sad but i guess some of the kids in portugal not even know what we are celebrating, they just wanna the presents because christmas has become in to market party where the marketing offices have a lot of work trying to seel everything that you could ever imagine, so it's a faze of the year when everybody buy everything for the kids, friends and relatives.... so the concept of jesus in my opinion it's very far away of that, i'm not putting myself out of this society, i live and i make the things like the others do, and I can be wrong but it’s what I feel.

P.S.- Sorry about my english, it's difficult to talk about a serious situations when you don't have grammar and vocabulary skills
I think you have put your opinion across very well. I do agree with you about the concept of Christmas. I feel that alot of what a child embraces comes from their upbringing. For example: church, school, family. If a child is brought up in a christian household (and school) they have a very good background on Jesus. Therefore their understanding is better. Of course, for children it is still about presents; but when you think about it so was Jesus's birth. Hence the three wise men bring him gifts.

Commercialism has definately impacted on the meaning of Christmas for children.

My family goes to church on christmas eve with the entire family (don't get me wrong we aren't overly religious) but it just touches your heart at that time of year; it reinforces the meaning of Christmas. 8)

User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
Posts: 3925
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Post by MissLT » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:44 am

Rui wrote:i guess this question take us to other question, who celebrate the birth of jesus in christmas? i know it's sad but i guess some of the kids in portugal not even know what we are celebrating, they just wanna the presents because christmas has become in to market party where the marketing offices have a lot of work trying to seel everything that you could ever imagine, so it's a faze of the year when everybody buy everything for the kids, friends and relatives.... so the concept of jesus in my opinion it's very far away of that, i'm not putting myself out of this society, i live and i make the things like the others do, and I can be wrong but it’s what I feel.

P.S.- Sorry about my english, it's difficult to talk about a serious situations when you don't have grammar and vocabulary skills
But don't you think Christmas is not all about remembering that Jesus was born and that's it. In Christianity, his birth means bring new concepts or joys to others, doesn't it? Therefore, even if the kids don't do it religiously, they're doing it gratefully-- they bring happiness within themselves and others by spending time together during a holiday. Isn't Xmas now mostly more about bringing happiness than remembering who Jesus is? Well, maybe I'm wrong since I think bringing happiness to others is more important.

User avatar
Rui
Gold Member
Posts: 477
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:41 am
Location: World, Portugal, Porto, Maia

Post by Rui » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:20 am

no, you're not wrong in my point of view, i just said that because the question was "if only the christians should celebrate the christmas?" and my answer is that of course everybody should celebrate the christmas, because even some Christians don’t really celebrate the birth of jesus, but yes a opportunity to be with friends and family, I’m not saying this is bad, that’s what i do and I think it's right, but why the members of different religion’s shouldn’t do it, in fact… one of the things that I think it’s completely wrong it’s that sometimes we(christinas) don’t respect so much the others religions as we should do, we have holidays to celebrate our religions days and the others religions have to work in their religions days because they are seeing in the society as normal days.

User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
Posts: 3925
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Post by MissLT » Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:45 pm

Rui wrote:in fact… one of the things that I think it’s completely wrong it’s that sometimes we(christinas) don’t respect so much the others religions as we should do, we have holidays to celebrate our religions days and the others religions have to work in their religions days because they are seeing in the society as normal days.
Is that how it is in Portugal? :?

User avatar
Rui
Gold Member
Posts: 477
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:41 am
Location: World, Portugal, Porto, Maia

Post by Rui » Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:41 am

yes, in portugal we just have holidays in catholic days, if you would live in portugal and you are from a different religion, you have to spend one day of your normal days to go in vacations if you wanna stay in home to celebrate, what i mean is that in the catholic days we have national holidays where almost every company’s stop, the days of other religions are completely normal, every company is laboring at full power.

And some good news are coming…. next week we gonna have a holiday, again something about with the catholic religion, but please don’t ask me what we are celebrating, I just know that I’m gonna stay at home
8)

User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
Posts: 3925
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Post by MissLT » Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:37 am

Rui wrote:yes, in portugal we just have holidays in catholic days, if you would live in portugal and you are from a different religion, you have to spend one day of your normal days to go in vacations if you wanna stay in home to celebrate, what i mean is that in the catholic days we have national holidays where almost every company’s stop, the days of other religions are completely normal, every company is laboring at full power.

And some good news are coming…. next week we gonna have a holiday, again something about with the catholic religion, but please don’t ask me what we are celebrating, I just know that I’m gonna stay at home
8)
Awww.... this is not fair. In the U.S. you can ask for a day off for religious belief. Like my manager she will be off on this coming up Friday because of the fasting. It will end on November 3rd, according to her. As a result, I'll have to work on that day so she could be able to stay home to celebrate it with her family. I'm so not happy whenever I think about it. That Friday will be my heaviest day since I have to work two jobs in one day plus study group :roll: .

natsu0713
Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 5:23 am
Location: Taipei, Taiwan

Post by natsu0713 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:36 am

I do not think that it is necessary to be a Christian in order to celebrate Christmas.

Isn't it is a great thing if people all over the would can celebrate Christmas together, no matter for their religions?

Eon
New Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:57 am
Location: Korea

Post by Eon » Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:42 am

I think everybody can celebrate Christmas! It's not only a religious day. It's a worldwide festival! I am a christian but my boy friend is a Buddhist. But we celebrate Christmas together!

willzheng
Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:51 am
Location: China

Re: christmas

Post by willzheng » Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:22 am

selokela wrote:I am not happy about most of the replies send about wether one should celebrate christmas if he is not a christian. remember that God loves us and he send His only beloved son Jesus christ to come and save us from our sins. everybody shoud celebrate christmas wether christian or not. It is by his blood that we are all still alive. When he Jesus died he carried all our curses with him. Please let us all cebrate christmas.
I am not a Christian.But I still celebrate the christmas.
till now,Christmas is not only the Christans,it belongs to every one in the word.So take it easy,enjoy yourself is ok!
Wish you having a lovely day on Christmas!

kathymimi
Member
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:18 am
Location: China

Post by kathymimi » Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:36 am

everyone can celebrate christmas if he likes. the festival is not just a religious one nowadays, maybe it's already a world festival to celebrate family coming together in that right day.

so take it easy. i wish you a nice day.

User avatar
Laxuan
Silver Member
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:49 am
Location: Trang Bom , Dong Nai

Post by Laxuan » Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:30 pm

In my opinion, christmas is the time for you to express your emotion to your father, mother and maybe you lover by sending cards, gifts, etc. Therefore, It's a special day for everyone all over the world.

jamesheal
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:51 pm
Status: English Teacher

Re: Do we have to be Christian to celebrate Christmas?

Post by jamesheal » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:38 pm

No because today we celebrate to be together with our loved ones. :lol:

jamesheal
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:51 pm
Status: English Teacher

Re: Do we have to be Christian to celebrate Christmas?

Post by jamesheal » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:59 am

I think that your religion has to know something about Jesus because Christmas is the birth of Jesus so you need to hane some information about him

catlim
Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:40 am
Status: English Learner
Location: Indonesia

Re: Do we have to be Christian to celebrate Christmas?

Post by catlim » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:17 pm

Everyone can celebrate Christmas...as long as you don't make trouble

amor
Silver Member
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:48 am
Status: English Learner

Re: Do we have to be Christian to celebrate Christmas?

Post by amor » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:10 am

TalkingPoint wrote:Do we have to be Christian to celebrate Christmas?
No.

irenapol
Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:14 pm
Status: English Teacher
Location: Poland

Re: Do we have to be Christian to celebrate Christmas?

Post by irenapol » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:17 am

Nowadays Christmas has become so commercialised, that, unfortunately, it's rather about giving and receiving presents, cooking and eating the tasty food, not about believing. In such a case, everyone can celebrate it, just to have a good time. However, for someone who is a true believer, there should be (and I trust there is) much more in it, and in this situation this is a holiday for christians, for those for whom the birth of Jesus is really important.

lesoli
Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:11 pm
Status: English Learner

Re: Do we have to be Christian to celebrate Christmas?

Post by lesoli » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:17 pm

I tkink that everybody can celebrate Christmas. Some people celebrate Christmas to entertine themselves and give or get presents. But for some people who really belive that it's birthday of Jesus it's the most important holiday of the whole year. These people don't think about delicious food or presents which they get, they think about birth of Jesus.

alexandra
Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:48 am
Status: English Learner
Location: Poland

Re: Do we have to be Christian to celebrate Christmas?

Post by alexandra » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:02 pm

In my point of view, you must be Christian, If you want to celebrate Christmas. The "key" in this holidays is birth of Jesus. Unless you believe about it, yours Christmas is pointless. Increasingly, for a lot of people more importantly are Santa Claus, gifts, cards, dishes and cakes. I think Christmas without Jesus isn't "real".

kassliw
Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:18 pm
Status: English Learner

Re: Do we have to be Christian to celebrate Christmas?

Post by kassliw » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:29 pm

I am Catholic, and the significance of Christmas is not gift giving, bright lights, or Santa Claus, it is the Birth of Jesus Christ. I feel the same way Muslims would feel if non-Muslims were celebrating Ramadan, or how Jewish people would feel if non-Jewish people celebrated Hanukkah. Christmas is a Christian holiday, and I believe it should stay that way.

szuder
New Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:10 pm
Status: English Learner

Re: Do we have to be Christian to celebrate Christmas?

Post by szuder » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:13 pm

I think that we don't need to be a Christian to celebrate Christmas. These holy first of all rely on a family meeting in a relaxed atmosphere, where you can hear about yours nearests. This is I think only one chance to meet all family in a year.

mcIlob
Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:57 am
Status: English Learner

Re: Do we have to be Christian to celebrate Christmas?

Post by mcIlob » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:19 pm

I think that Christians have some events to celebrate and people who are not Christians have own and different events. In my opinion people can celebrate Christmas and they don't have to be a Christian. If their religion does not ban it, they could get to know Christians traditions and I believe that it's good because then they can better understand Christians and they will have more respect to them.

rokwysocka
Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:08 pm
Status: English Learner

Re: Do we have to be Christian to celebrate Christmas?

Post by rokwysocka » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:28 pm

In my mind Christmas is a time to be with family. In this time people approach to each other. I think somebody who is not Christian and he spend Christmas among his nearest and dearest can do this but then he can't for example go to church or share a wafer. It doesn't change this time is for him special.

Klaudyna
Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:53 pm
Status: English Learner

Re: Do we have to be Christian to celebrate Christmas?

Post by Klaudyna » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:23 pm

I think that we don't have to be a Christian to celebrate Christmas because Christmas is a time when we not only go to church to pray but also to spend some time with our family, enjoy every day with them and what is the most important to not quarrel with them. Of course I know that if we profess different religion we won't spend Christmas in the traditional way but in the way which are consistent with our religion.

RogelikIID
Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:50 pm
Status: English Learner

Re: Do we have to be Christian to celebrate Christmas?

Post by RogelikIID » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:02 pm

Hello Everybody {-:
In the past Christmas was only Christian celebration but over time Christmas has started to be very commercial and in our days it doesn't matter if you are Christian or you aren't.

alicjapie
Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:41 am
Status: English Learner

Re: Do we have to be Christian to celebrate Christmas?

Post by alicjapie » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:31 pm

In my opinion, Christmas is for people who believe in the birth of Christ. Why celebrate something when we do not believe in something? Christmas became a symbol of a family atmosphere, giving presents, Christmas trees. Personally, for me, Christmas is primarily celebration of my faith, the birth of Christ.

wojcieszek
Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:53 pm
Status: English Learner

Re: Do we have to be Christian to celebrate Christmas?

Post by wojcieszek » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:57 pm

I believe that we need not be Christian to celebrate Christmas. This Holidays are for all people. People belonging to different religion celebrate the holidays differently but no one can forbid anyone to celebrate these days.

StoKin
Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:01 pm
Status: English Learner

Re: Do we have to be Christian to celebrate Christmas?

Post by StoKin » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:04 pm

I think that everybody can celebrate Christmas. You shouldn't be Christian to do it. Christmas is a time when we can relax and meet with our familly. We can also buy some presents to each other. In some country people only buy christmas tree and they decorate their houses in addition to that children belive in Santa Claus so it is a wonderfull time for everybody.

emilkatok

Re: Do we have to be Christian to celebrate Christmas?

Post by emilkatok » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:08 pm

In my opinion, we should be Christian to celebrate Christmas.
Nowadays a lot of people celebrate Christmas, because : Christmas Tree, Santa Clause, Presents, official supper, time only for family and rest. Advertisments, decorations and all around us are connenced with Christmas.
Christian prepare to this event. They take part in Adwent ( they go every day for 4 weeks to church to the Mass) and they wait for birth of Jezus Christ. It is one of two the most important event in Christian calender.
Every religion has got own events and we should celebrate only own.

dariakur
Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:55 pm
Status: English Learner

Re: Do we have to be Christian to celebrate Christmas?

Post by dariakur » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:19 pm

In my point of view we have to be a Christian to celebrate Christmas. This is time to worship Jesus and his birthday, not a common free day. Of course people who have other religious beliefs can spend Christmas Eve with each other but just like an ordinary meeting. Some people celebrate christmas because they want to keep the old traditions alive and added to that they are focused on present and christmas food. I think that nowadays we dont consider Christmas Eve as a religious event, it is more traditional for us.

Wojteeek
Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:15 am
Status: English Learner

Re: Do we have to be Christian to celebrate Christmas?

Post by Wojteeek » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:44 am

As far as im concerned i think that we don't have to be Christians to celebrate Christmas. Nowadays, it is so popularized and we can say that it is just nice way to spend the December's days, get some gift, sing songs like "I all want for Christmas is you" and eat a lot. But if we really want celebrate Christmas like it should be celebrated we have to be Christian because its not opportunity to get gift but it is Jesus birth, it is very important day for Christians, and if we want to take it seriously we have to understand this religion and belive in its.

krozmar
Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:34 pm
Status: English Learner

Re: Do we have to be Christian to celebrate Christmas?

Post by krozmar » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:37 pm

In my opinion you have to be Christian to celebrate Christmas because it is the memory of the birth of Jesus Christ. However, no one can prohibit a person from a different faith celebrate Christmas. For people who are not Christians is a time of giving gifts and meeting with family.

olamro
Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:24 pm
Status: English Learner

Re: Do we have to be Christian to celebrate Christmas?

Post by olamro » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:36 pm

In my opinion we don't have to be Christian to celebrate Christmas. I think that, because Christmas is some kind of tradition and people of other religion celebrate this too and they don't look at religion, they want to be with their family and listen christmas songs. It's also about giving presents to each other, making others happy. These days a lot of people live in such hurry, that they don't have much time for their family and friends, very often this Christmas time is the only moment when they have time to meet with people important to them.

User avatar
Krisi
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board
Posts: 4133
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:48 am
Status: English Learner

Re: Do we have to be Christian to celebrate Christmas?

Post by Krisi » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:59 pm

Everybody can celebrate Christmas. I have not heard or never seen an invitation that excludes non-Christians on this special occassion. I know this as the season for everyone to be happy.

User avatar
Krisi
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board
Posts: 4133
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:48 am
Status: English Learner

Re: Do we have to be Christian to celebrate Christmas?

Post by Krisi » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:39 am

Krisi wrote:Everybody can celebrate Christmas. I have not heard or never seen an invitation that excludes non-Christians on this special occassion. I know this as the season for everyone to be happy.
or I guess it's the other way around... it's probably the non-Christians who prohibits themselves to celebrate Christmas. We cannot tell but some could be following certain rules. (let's look at both sides... this is also possible)

User avatar
cromini
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:30 am
Status: English Learner

Re: Do we have to be Christian to celebrate Christmas?

Post by cromini » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:45 am

Hello,

I usually always get a pine as a Christmas tree. But this year I have thought about a artificial tree. Are there a lot of benefits?

Post Reply