Olympics: Taking part is more important than winning.

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

TalkingPoint
Teacher/Moderator
Teacher/Moderator

Olympics: Taking part is more important than winning.

Post by TalkingPoint »

Olympics. Taking part is more important than winning.

Athletes from many different nations take part in the Olympic Games. Not everyone can win. Is it important to win? Or is it more important to participate, even if you don't win?

Word Checker
take part: to participate; to be part of; to be involved
important: of great significance or value
win: to come first; to be victorious
Last edited by TalkingPoint on Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
ddai130

Post by ddai130 »

What is the true meaning of this game ? Just for fun ! Do we have other more convinced reasons than simply fun ? No . We don't have. So whether you coming for money . for popularity , for win or for experience . they all don't matter , Just pls have you own way to share the pleasure, whether by watching , taking part ,or by win .

Post by Guest »

Taking parts and winning the games are both important.
If the athletes participate in the games, they represent their countries. They bring voices of their countries to the world.
If they win the games, it will be even better because their countries will be in the record. Their national anthems will be sung. Also, people will get to know their countries more.

Post by Guest »

mountains wrote:I think If you can do your best performance depend on your situation and thought of Olympics. If You alway think you must win, you will not concentrate on your sports. In personal your should forget your country and the people when the match is coming. You must do your best to practice and always put your country and the people in your mind before the match.
Well, athletes who are chosen to go to the Olympics are the best ones in their country; however, entering the games and winning the games are two different things. They can enter the games because they get selected to represent their country, but winning the games is a different story. President Theodore Roosevelt used to say, "believe you can and you're half way there." If they couldn't even have the spirit of winning the games, how hard would they bring out to make them win? If they didn't have a pride that they COULD win the games, how would they win? Because other athletes were worst than them? It's just luck, it's not a believing in oneself. Humans can do something to the extreme if we do believe we can do it. We have to remember that we can do it. Otherwise, we'll just get scared when we face difficulties.
tobyboy

Post by tobyboy »

In my opinion, if your country chooses you for representing it to attend the Olympic Games , it's definite that you are one of the top atheletes in your country .So you have the responsibility to try your best to win ,cause your compatriot are paying close attention to you . And competing with other athletes from various countries in such femous event is also a balcony to show you.As for win,I think, it's ok as long as you bring out your best .After all, there is only one champion.
There is a saying that goes "The purpose of my country sending me here is to run across the finishing line, not to listent to the starting gun." :D
Judy2004

We should enjoy process more

Post by Judy2004 »

It is true that taking part in Olympic Game is more important than winning,which conforms to one old saying that we should pay more attention to process and enjoy it rather than results.As we know,result is the consequence of the prevous process and just a thing of one moment. Result may be good or bad,it partly depends on man and partly is out of man's control, like another chinese proverb that how to try to have things well done is up to man,but whether it succeeds or not is decided by God.In addition, result only stands for the past and does not have any significant relation with the future.Compared with result,process is the duration of operation and intense activities from which we can improve our understanding and insight,enjoy ourselves, make necessary analysises, know the nature and the world and ourselves,work out how to convert failure into success.this is the most important and wonderful experience for us.
Though I agree with this statement entirely,I still hope our chinese team win more gold medals in the ongoing 28th Olympic Game.

Re: We should enjoy process more

Post by Guest »

Judy2004 wrote: Result may be good or bad,it partly depends on man and partly is out of man's control, like another chinese proverb that how to try to have things well done is up to man,but whether it succeeds or not is decided by God.
If the way people think to succeed something is to belive that everything is decided by God, then I think all the years the athletes have been practicing are wasted. What's the point for them to practice in all those years when everything is set? What's the point for them to practice to be the best players in the games when everything is set? If one was not set to win the game, he/she wouldn't win it eventually because it was God's decision even though he/she was the best one in that game????? It doesn't make any sense to me. I know it's nice to believe in something; however, if one thinks God decides everything in their lives, then what is the point of living when all he/she thinks is whatever he/she does still won't make a difference since it's already set?
The amazing thing about human beings is we never tend to give up. When we fall, we'll get up and try again. We never give up our hopes and that's how I think one should live his/her life. Giving up hopes or believing that God is there somewhere to help them when they can/can't do something is just not how to live a life. People should believe in themselves. They should know what they are capable of. Also, they should believe what they can do and always try their best to do the things. If fail, they'll try again. No blaming on God or luck or anything. It's because in a game, someone must win and maybe they've practiced, but the other person has practiced more than them. So that person deserves to win.
thomasly

Re: Olympics: Taking part is more important than winning.

Post by thomasly »

[quote="TalkingPoint"][size=24][b]Olympics. Taking part is more important than winning.[/b][/size]

Athletes from many different nations take part in the Olympic Games. Not everyone can win. Is it important to win? Or is it more important to participate, even if you don't win?

[color=darkred][b]Word Checker[/b][/color]
[b]take part:[/b] to participate; to be part of; to be involved
[b]important:[/b] of great significance or value
[b]win:[/b] to come first; to be victorious[/quote]
I don't think so.The desire of winningwill make me run faster,jump higher.SO my goal is win.
crystalfrogw

Post by crystalfrogw »

It is very important to participat but what is more important is that the participants chanlleng themselves and try to do the best, not just for fun. because we can have fun everywhere if we want.But a sport race is not an occasion just for fun it is an opportunity to overcome chanllenge ...........
lyphan

Post by lyphan »

In all, joining a competition is a good opportunity to evaluate entrants' ability. The people or the teams who take part in the competition do their best to reach the prize. In my opinion, it is wonderful if you get the prize, it is not a problem in the contrary.
It clear that a person/ a team win while another lose in a competition. I absolutely agree that taking part is more important than winning, because a competition is just a game.
sweethuman
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by sweethuman »

In every game/competition that we participate it is not compulsory to win, but WIN and LOSE is apart of game, if we lose it will be a good experience for us to learn better and show better performance next time.
hellofriend

Post by hellofriend »

taking part is more important than winning

Recently, there is a heated discussion about the purpose of attending Olympic games, some people think athlets should try their best to win all the game, and the other group of people prefer that more and more athlets just take part in the game and no special result required. As far as i am concerned, i perfer to chose the later one . The following paragraphs will justify my statement.
Firstly, it will help ahlets release their stress if they know that they do not need to win anything. In this way, the game could attact more and more athlet to take part in the game and expand the world influence.
Secondly, taking part in the world-class game help create a wonderful environment for young athlet which alllow them to adjust the real competition. So they can be well-prepared and have a solid fundation in the following Olympic games.