ESL Study Abroad is better?

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

DingBilly

ESL Study Abroad is better?

Post by DingBilly »

Now more and more Chinese students go out to study the foreign languages. I think there are amny advantages to learn in the native enviornments. But the fee is expensive.
Do you want to go abroad to study if you learn the Second Language?
Arale
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Arale »

I
think there are amny advantages to learn in the native enviornments. But the fee is expensive
Not all students study abroad get their goal.There are so many difficulties and seductions.They usually feel disappointed and lonely at first.If they cannot keep themselves,they are easy to slopping down.If they are not active and have a great will,they cannot success.

_Arale_
paradise

Post by paradise »

Hi ding billy

For me i dont like to study abroad because may be the only advantage for this is to communicate with native speakers and this will help you of course . but traveling abroad may have more disadvantages than advantages .

first it is expensive than studying in your country.

secondly you will live in another country with another traditions and cultures which may be different than yours .

so, for me there are many teachers who teach english and other subjects in english and also english sections in the university in my country and i think this spread all over the world .
there isnt any country you cant find in it people who are talking or teach english as native speakers.

also you can find branches for forgin universities in your country like the american university and the british university where you can find teachers from all over the world who speaks english very well.
The one who guides to something good has a reward similar to its doer
Pirate
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Pirate »

The biggest advantage when studying a foreign language right where people speak it is that you will be living in an environment of that language and it works very well. I have known many people whose English is improved incredibly after a time living in an English speaking country. In your place it is certainly possible to find native teachers but after classes you will immediately return to your mothertongue environment.

Post by Guest »

pirate wrote:The biggest advantage when studying a foreign language right where people speak it is that you will be living in an environment of that language and it works very well. I have known many people whose English is improved incredibly after a time living in an English speaking country. In your place it is certainly possible to find native teachers but after classes you will immediately return to your mothertongue environment.
Agree with you Pirate. And more, if you got a chance to study in another country, you could open your mind about the life of a different environment than the one you've been living in. You could also experience the differences of different cultural backgrounds, customs, and more. I think it's a great experience. If you think you can afford to study abroad and it will bring to your future job more advantage then you should go for it.
lydiaaaaa

Post by lydiaaaaa »

simplyblessedwithlove :D
I do agree with you that we should try to study in another country if we have the chance as we can really learn more how to take care ourselves.But in my opinion, i can say that it is not an easy job as we have to spend some time to get used to the new environment and we have to make some new friends there.Not only these things,also most of the students who study in another country have to leave their parents and their good friends,anyway as a conclusion, i do thinhk that study in other countries is better if we have the chance cox we can really find more about the world!!!
DingBilly

Post by DingBilly »

I have learned English for over 13 years, but I still cannot speak well. Ago I feared to talk with foreign people. I feel better and like to talk with them after met them and talked with them. In my school learning time I have little chance to speak English.

If I have one chance to study go adroad, I think it would better. I know the fee is more expensive.
Arale
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Arale »

People usually don't leave any chance.If I have a chance to go abroad I will catch it soon.It is hard but doen't mean we cannot success.

_Arale_
paradise

Post by paradise »

Hi all

I accept with you that traveling abroad is a great chance but it will take from you a lot of time to can communicate with the new environment . :roll:

I experienced that , first you will find it is hard to live in another society with different cultures and traditions which may be different and against you cultures and traditions but then it will be easy . this will take only time . and then you will find it great . :wink:

you have just care for your study and take the good features of this new cultures , traditons and society :wink:
The one who guides to something good has a reward similar to its doer
DingBilly

Post by DingBilly »

I have been to HK. I like the city. I can freely speak English there. There are many foreigners and lots of different English. So it is funny to practice English there. One colleague advise me to go to work in Singpore and stay there for a long time.
My MSN: *******.com
You are what you think and act.
Pirate
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Pirate »

Let's listen to a Vietnamese professor telling his "culture shock" when he came to USA for the first time and his new American friends found his English ... unusual:

“Hindsight of an English language learner”

" ... I did not even know how to respond when friendly Americans said "hi" to me; they must have thought I was either egregiously unfriendly or totally deaf. The embarrassing truth was that I had not been taught that "hi" was just another way of saying "hello" in America. My spoken English at that time was idiosyncratic, archaic, flowery, unnatural, and therefore "un-American." It was the product of my translation skill and my use of anachronistic vocabularies and prescriptive grammatical rules which did not lend themselves to conversational English at all. ..."

" ... Composition class taught me a big lesson, and that was "do not mess with English punctuation!" I did everything right for that piece of writing except punctuation. I almost fainted when the paper was returned with a "D" in red ink on its front page. I spoke to the professor after class about my poor grade and he said, "you have murdered English punctuation. ..."

" ... She blurted out, "Phap, I wish you had given me a ring before you came this morning." I thought she was talking about an engagement ring as a pre-requisite for that visit, so I pleaded innocently, "Lisa, we are both only 18. Why should we get engaged at such a young age?" Her face lit up because of my gross misunderstanding of her words, and smilingly she "taught" me, "Phap, you silly boy. What I meant was simply that you should have telephoned me before you stopped by this morning." Needless to say, I apologized profusely for that terrible social blunder. ..."

... and more here:

http://www.vietnamjournal.org/article.p ... int&sid=88
crazyoddygal

Post by crazyoddygal »

i think going abroad is a good way to improve your communication skills. i mean communication skills, not English the language only. even when i come to Warsaw, Seoul or New Jersey, i can practise my cummincation skills, and my English also. as you know, English has become an international language, so you can find English speakers everywhere. the problem here is "how to make people understand you". when you practise English with a person in your own coutry, you 2 have the same background knowledge, same way of thinking, therefore it's easy to understand each other. however, you will find it really hard to make a foreigner understand the way you understand about an issue. perhaps right now, i'm making you all confused because of my own way of thinking. that's why i'm trying to find as many foreigners as i can to communicate with T_T
ashes to ashes
dust to dust ...
GiddyGad
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by GiddyGad »

I think studying abroad is a waste of time and money.
GiddyGad
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: ESL Study Abroad is better?

Post by GiddyGad »

...studying aboard does have other advantages that can be had only through first-hand experiences.
Yes Imnobrainer,

"other advantages" is the key expression here. Lol.