Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

TalkingPoint
Teacher/Moderator
Teacher/Moderator

Is Halloween harmful?

Post by TalkingPoint »

Is Halloween harmful?

Some say that Halloween encourages an interest in the supernatural, devil-worship and the occult. Do you think that Halloween is harmful or harmless?
  • Halloween: the night of 31 October, the eve of All Saints' Day
    supernatural: some force beyond scientific understanding or the laws of nature
    devil-worship: expression of admiration and adoration for a spirit of evil
    occult: supernatural beliefs, practices or phenomena
    harmful: causing a bad effect
    harmless: without any bad effect
Arale
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Arale »

Halloween is an interesting festival, especially for children.I don't think it is harmful .It just brings fun and joyment to people taking part in the festival.As for supernatural, devil-worship or occult? People now are modern enough to not believe in these.We have our own belief that doesn't depend on Halloween.So it is harmless.I like this festival much.It is wonderful to disguise as a ghost or devil ! :wink:

_Arale_
viveo

Post by viveo »

I think it is good especially for children. This is a opportunity for children to entertain. They can discover what is supernatural and believe in ghosts. Sometime people need to believe in something that is supernatural. It might make someone stronger .It depends on ourselves.
What is love ?

Post by Guest »

It's a special moment for kids because they can go trick-or-treating to get candy. Also, they can dress up in costumes. It's really fun. However, after the September 11, or maybe it'd already happened before that, some people get scared of Halloween. It's not a safe holiday anymore. Other people who take advance of the costumes, hiding under them, doing their bad things. More of it, some evil people even try to poison others with their candy. If the holiday is practiced right, it's not so bad.
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

I do not think that Halloween is harmful.Honestly,I really like that funny festival. I think Halloween is an interesting festival just like Christmas or Easter.I believe that people are clever enough to think of what they should believe in and what they should worship for.So don't treat Halloween this festival so seriously.Just to have some fun.
Ika

Post by Ika »

I don't see anything bad in Halloween, dressing up and having fun- it can't be bad. Only our attitude toward things make them good or bad. Believing in supernatural things? Hmmm... who knows, who knows, not everything is possible to explain.
There are so many people who see harm in Harry Potter books. Really, we see what we want to see, and labeling things, denying things we don't know or don't understand- isn't it just an act of a closed mind?
"To know nothing is bad, to learn nothing is worse."
Arale
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Arale »

Hey how was your Halloween? click here and have a great Halloween :wink:

http://sinhroom.sg.tf/

_Arale_

Post by Guest »

Ika wrote: There are so many people who see harm in Harry Potter books. Really, we see what we want to see, and labeling things, denying things we don't know or don't understand- isn't it just an act of a closed mind?
People who see harms in Harry Potter books because they are religious people. They don't believe in witches, magic, and stuff. It's too non-Christian to them. Halloween is different. Some psycho people out there DO take advantage of Halloween to harm others. This IS a fact, not a talk of a narrow-minded person. If you've seen stuff like what I'm telling right now, you wouldn't have said that. :roll:
Ika

Post by Ika »

"Some psycho people out there DO take advantage of Halloween to harm others."

And if there was no Halloween, these psycho people wouldn't do anything bad???

"People who see harms in Harry Potter books because they are religious people. They don't believe in witches, magic, and stuff."

Does it mean fairy tales are also harmful???
"To know nothing is bad, to learn nothing is worse."

Post by Guest »

Ika wrote:I don't see anything bad in Halloween, dressing up and having fun- it can't be bad. Only our attitude toward things make them good or bad. Believing in supernatural things? Hmmm... who knows, who knows, not everything is possible to explain.
There are so many people who see harm in Harry Potter books. Really, we see what we want to see, and labeling things, denying things we don't know or don't understand- isn't it just an act of a closed mind?
Read those lines that I've bolded them in black. I wonder where you got that idea from. Firstly, I DID NOT and once again, I DID NOT say Halloween was a bad thing to do. Although there are psycho people out there who do take advantage of it, people still have fun with Halloween. What I meant was "be careful! Watch out for bad people and have fun." Secondly, read my post carefully first, ok. I think you misunderstood me.

Post by Guest »

Ika wrote:"Some psycho people out there DO take advantage of Halloween to harm others."

And if there was no Halloween, these psycho people wouldn't do anything bad???
"People who see harms in Harry Potter books because they are religious people. They don't believe in witches, magic, and stuff."

Does it mean fairy tales are also harmful???
Taking advantage of something, this is what I said. Read it carefully. It means psycho people out there every day, but they would be more evil when they have an advantage to act upon. They could get to hide under the costumes to do bad things. They could put poison in the candy or they could rob houses that have people who go for trick-or-treating. It was my opinion about why Halloween can be harmful and fun all together. If you didn't understand it, you should ask instead of making comments like that.
About your question for fairly tales, I'm not a psycho religious person. If you wanna know the answer, go ask someone who is and you'll know.
moonie

could be happy memory

Post by moonie »

having chance with speciall events could be the most comerable time ..especially in childhood.. that 's my basic standpoint ,, what if we may not that fastival disguising with specific custums...
lyphan

Re: Is Halloween harmful?

Post by lyphan »

it is an interesting event not only for children but also for adults and popular in US, UK, ect. In Vietnam, it has became an fascinating event for young people such students, high school pupils, sadly, i have never had an opportunity to take part in, maybe someday in future, hope so.