difficulties!!!! What is the right answer?

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

Dolamar

Re: difficulties!!!! What is the right answer?

Post by Dolamar »

السلام عليكم
mahzouza wrote:2-I try to translate words and memorize them but after a short time ,I forget most of them. What is the best way to keep vocabulary in mind if I don't have people speak English?
I use flash cards for other languages. :wink:

When reading the words too I try to envision the object, action, etc in my mind instead of relating it to my native tongue. Perhaps doing the same shall help you remember and retain your vocabulary better :?:
mahzouza wrote:3-I finished my breakfast an hour ago. My friend asked me to share her in her breakfast.
Is it right to say " Thanks,I had eaten my breakfast" "Thanks ,I had my breakfast an hour ago" or " I have just had my breakfast " What is the suitable tense in this case?
Is it past perfect, present perfect or past simple tense? If not what is the suitable answer?
This seems "right" to me: "Thanks, but I have already eaten my breakfast today."

But then again I could be wrong! For I must admit, my knowledge of English grammar is relatively slim. Even though it's my native tongue. :(

I wish I could explain it grammar wise to you! :oops:
paradise

Post by paradise »

welcome mahzouza :wink:

I find difficulty to understand what I hear,but when I read it , it becomes easy to understand .What should I do ?

i think that the best way is first to listen to british english because they talk slowly than the american . so , you can understand . :wink:

2-I try to translate words and memorize them but after a short time ,I forget most of them. What is the best way to keep vocabulary in mind if I don't have people speak English?

the best way to memorize the words is to use it , you can for example listen to films or to write essays or share with us here in the forum :wink: and esspecially in your opinion section or you can use the chat where it is here in the site you will find people from all places who also want to use english . ( but try to dont waste all your time in chating ) :!:

3-I finished my breakfast an hour ago. My friend asked me to share her in her breakfast.
Is it right to say " Thanks,I had eaten my breakfast" "Thanks ,I had my breakfast an hour ago" or " I have just had my breakfast " What is the suitable tense in this case?

mahzouza i have a poblem with problem with grammer :oops: but i think that the best one to say ( thanks i had my breakfast )
The one who guides to something good has a reward similar to its doer
GiddyGad
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by GiddyGad »

1. Why does a word have a stress (sometimes 2 or even 3 stresses, like in 'rE-habI-litAtion')? - To make speech rhythmical. There's always rhythm in speech. If you beat the rhythm of what you're listening to you'll understand that rhythm helps to keep the melody of speech (like in music - a melody without rhythm will become a sequence of meaningless tones), which is crucial for understanding a language spoken.

2. Don't learn words without their contexts. It's basics of learning a language... Oh, and don't get frustrated if you still forget some words. Actually, the words you forget don't go into the blue - they will always be with you. It's just that the time hasn't come for you to recall them... Learn some new words. Keep on moving ahead..

3. "I've already had my breakfast" - you're speaking about your present state in this reply which means, probably, you are full. If you want to emphasise that it was only a short while ago and you still don't want to eat you may add "I had it an hour ago" in the Past.
Always remember that you define time by the first verb of the Predicate (it is called the finite form). It can only be the Present or the Past (as for the Future it's expressed by modals 'will' and 'shall' that also can be the Present and the Past).

Got any more questions?