What is the latest book you have read recently?

Talk about books and writers here.

Moderators: Vega, EC

Arale
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

What is the latest book you have read recently?

Postby Arale » Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:15 am

What is the latest book you have read recently? Tell your friends here. I have just finished an "old" book but it is the latest book I have read. It is "Greek myth". Oh, it tooks me some weeks to read but I bet it is worth reading. I guess you read it already, didn't you? I am so impressed by the way Athena-Goddess of wisdom was born. She was born from her Dad-Zeus's HEAD. :roll: :o

_Arale_
Last edited by Arale on Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

crazyoddygal
Silver Member

Re: What is the latest book you have read recently?

Postby crazyoddygal » Mon Mar 21, 2005 6:37 pm

i'm reading that Greek Myth desperately, too T_T i remember one deity was born from Zeus's thigh >"< unbelievable. marriage between mother and sons, siblings, father and daughter, etc. 8) nevertheless, that book is somehow interesting as it provides me some useful background knowledge.
ashes to ashes
dust to dust ...

Re: What is the latest book you have read recently?

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:01 am

crazyoddygal wrote:
Arale wrote:What is the latest book you read recently? Tell your friends here. I have just finished an "old" book but it is the latest book I have read. It is "Greek myth". Oh, it tooks me some weeks to read but I bet it is worth reading. I guess you read it already, didn't you? I am so impressed by the way Athena-Goddess of wisdom was born. She was born from her Dad-Zeus's HEAD. :shock:

_Arale_

i'm reading that Greek Myth desperately, too T_T i remember one deity was born from Zeus's thigh >"< unbelievable. marriage between mother and sons, siblings, father and daughter, etc. 8) nevertheless, that book is somehow interesting as it provides me some useful background knowledge.

:D since you two are reading this book and you both think it's good, I think I should give it a try then.

nien
Silver Member

Postby nien » Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:19 am

The lates book I've read ... it would be Charles Dicken's Oliver Twist. But now, I'm reading it again as so many words I didn't understand, ugh, it's British English.
But before that, I read Musashi, a legendary samurai once lived in Japan who wrote The Book of Five Rings.

luckygirl9
Silver Member

Postby luckygirl9 » Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:38 am

I love reading books&magazines,and the recent book I've finished should be ......the Davinci code!Well if you had read,maybe you would think it fantastic and I just got such feelings.But I haven't got enough time to confirm lots of facts mentioned in it. :?:

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:16 pm

When will Jesus bring the pork chops? by George Carlin.

When I first saw the title of the book, I was, Meh, I don't see myself reading it. But then I kept bumping into it here and there. I thought it was a sign telling me I should give it a try. So I did. And I was reading it from its first page to the end nonstop. I could not stop myself from laughing and nodding, "Uh huh! That's right!" I laugh for his witty humor and I laugh for his extraordinary observation about surrounding life. If you would like how Americans think about America, try this book out. Conservative religious peeps, please don't read if you can't take jokes from the outsiders. People who are easily offended, please don't touch the book either. :lol:
This is a story that I quote from the book,

"The continuing story of Mary and Joseph: "It's a boy""
Mary: Joe, we're gonna have a baby.
Joe: What? That's impossible. All I ever do is put it between your thighs.
Mary: Well, I don't know. Something must've gone wrong.
Joe: Who says you're pregnant?
Mary: An angel appeared to me in the backyard and said so.
Joe: An angel?
Mary: An angel of God. His name was Gabriel. He had a trumpet and he appeared to me in the backyard.
Joe: He what?
Mary: He appeared to me.
Joe: Was he naked?
Mary: No. I think he had on a raincoat. I don't really know. He was glowing so brightly.
Joe: Mary, you're under a lot of stress. Why don't you take a few days off from the shop. The accounts can wait.
Mary: I'm telling you, Joe. This Angel Gabriel said that God wanted me to have his baby.
Joe: Did you ask for some sort of sign?
Mary: Of course I did. He said tomorrow morning I'd start getting sick.
Joe: But why should God want a kid?
Mary: Well, Gabriel said that according to Luke it's kind of an ego thing. Plus, he promised the Jews a long time ago; it's just that he never got around to it. But now he that he feels ready for children he doesn't want to just make them out of clay or dust. He wants to get humans involved.
Joe: Well, is he going to help toward raising the kid? God knows we can't do it alone. I could use a bigger shop, and maybe he could throw a couple of those nice crucifix contracts my way. The Romans are nailin' up everything that walks.
Mary: Honey, Gabriel said not to worry. The kid would be a real winner. A public speaker and good with miracles.
Joe: Well, that's a relief. Anyway, I guess now that you're officially pregnant I can start puttin' it inside you.
Mary: I'm sorry, honey. God wants it to be strictly a virgin birth.
Joe: I don't get it.
Mary: That's right, Joe.
Joe: Don't I get to do anything?
Mary: He wants you to come up with a name for the kid.
Joe: Jesus Christ!
Mary: Joe, you're so heavy."

Another one is, " WHAT HAPPENED? Washington, Jefferson, Franklin, Madison, Adams, Hamilton, Things were going well. Then Ford, Quayle, Mondale, Agnew, Nixon, Clinton, Dole, Bush I, Bush II. What happened? "
That's all, if you want more, get the book. :mrgreen:

RedRose

Postby RedRose » Sat May 21, 2005 6:00 pm

the latest book I read recently is My life by Bill Clinton. in this book, what I am most concerned is about Clinton's affair with a young girl :mrgreen: unfortunately, he didn't mention the part so much :cry:

brightsmiles
Silver Member

Postby brightsmiles » Sun May 22, 2005 12:16 pm

Click on the books you wanna hear. Then it will give you the next guide. However, it doesn't work well sometimes. Sorry. :roll:

RedRose

Postby RedRose » Sun May 22, 2005 1:54 pm

I did! I downloaded it on my pc! thank you!! :mrgreen:

BTW, my english listening skill is pretty bad, but I just listened to Clinton's speech. it sounds like he was telling about his parents, right? his dad sent flowers to his mom before they got married, right?

manrat
Silver Member

Postby manrat » Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:43 pm

I'm reading "Long walk to freedom", the autobiography of Nelson Mandela.

leen@rasel
Silver Member

Postby leen@rasel » Sat Jun 18, 2005 3:47 pm

i have read many books but the book i am reading now is a story called ''the curse of the black cat'' by Carolyn Keene

manrat
Silver Member

Postby manrat » Sat Jun 18, 2005 4:00 pm

The next book I wanna read, is called "Freakonomics" - A rogue economist explores the hidden side of everything.

Arale
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby Arale » Sun Jun 26, 2005 5:37 am

I have just finished All the rivers run by Nancy Cato. These are some wonderful passages in the story. I am trying to find the original but haven't found yet.

An individual human existance should be-take a river-small at first, narrowlly fast boulders and over waterfalls. Gradually, the river grows wider, the bank recedes, the waters flow more quietly, and the end, without any visable break, they become merged in the sea and painlessly lose, its individual being.

--

All the rivers are flowing into sea but sea is never full. The rivers always fall on the origin where they started. Human life is like these rivers, life comes and goes together with time. It always goes by but never stops renovating, always changes but stays the same all the time. There is no death as at the end is the start of a new bud...
Nothing lasts forever...

Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006

Postby Dixie » Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:24 am

Right now I am reading Flaubert's masterpiece, Madame Bovary. I had heard about it so many times that I wanted to see what all the fuss was about :D

sg0243hyy

dream of the red chamber

Postby sg0243hyy » Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:12 pm

i read Cao Xueqin`s masterpiece "dream of the red chamber" on these days.i as reading as listening to the music of "dream of the red chamber" .i feel that is the greatest.i can help you to find the book and the music if everyone who interest in it .it is one of fourth masterpiece in china.somebody said that i heard if you have read the book for four times,you will unknowing tears.i hope everyone have have chance to read it .also i am very pleased to share my recept of the book.i don`t think you will waste time for reading it.

Lalee
Platinum Member

Postby Lalee » Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:11 pm

I'm not reading any book because I don't have the money to afford one. :cry:

Dixie

Postby Dixie » Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:59 pm

Lalee wrote:I'm not reading any book because I don't have the money to afford one. :cry:

Get rid of your internet connection and get a book!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :D :roll: :twisted: :lol: :D

Lalee
Platinum Member

Postby Lalee » Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:03 pm

Dix, are you sure you want me to do that?
If I got rid of my internet connection, you wouldn't have the "pleasure" to read my posts again. Now we wouldn't like that to happen, would we? :wink:

Dixie

Postby Dixie » Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:07 pm

Lalee wrote:Dix, are you sure you want me to do that?
If I got rid of my internet connection, you wouldn't have the "pleasure" to read my posts again. Now we wouldn't like that to happen, would we? :wink:

No, we definitely wouldn't!!!!!!!! :o :cry: :cry: :wink:

jonrey10
Gold Member

Postby jonrey10 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:11 pm

I've read Harry Potter book 5 (Order of the Phoenix).
I'm going to buy the 6th book (Half Blood Prince).

c",) I'm here... all the way c",)

MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby MissLT » Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:18 am

Reading "Little House on the Prairie" by Laura Ingalls Wilder, Garth Williams. I've seen the show, but I still wanted to read the book. It's been captivated so far.

Return to “Books & Authors”