What does the word "as" mean here in this sentence

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

whitecloud

What does the word "as" mean here in this sentence

Post by whitecloud »

The following sentence was written by Helen Keller:
I felt a misty consciousness as of something forgotten--a thrill of returning thought; and somehow the mystery of language was revealed to me.

I am not quite clear about the usage of the word "as" here. Could anyone kindly help me?

Re: What does the word "as" mean here in this sent

Post by Guest »

whitecloud wrote:The following sentence was written by Helen Keller:
I felt a misty consciousness as of something forgotten--a thrill of returning thought; and somehow the mystery of language was revealed to me.

I am not quite clear about the usage of the word "as" here. Could anyone kindly help me?
Another way to interpret that part: it seemed like a misty consciousness was something that had been forgotten to me. I hope this is clear to explain your question of "as."
whitecloud

Post by whitecloud »

Thanks a lot, but do you often use "as" in this way? Could you give some examples?
Many thanks in advance.

Post by Guest »

1. As much i know this novel was written by William Truman, I still think it was not.
2. I can stay out late as long as I wish to because my parents are on their vacation.
3. She was going on and on with her speech as if it was the most interesting speech, which she's never presented.
4. As of last year, I have been working on my thesis to graduate.
The other as of way that Helen Keller used is a bit formal for novel or poem, so it's hard for me to do it. I asked my friend for you and this is his sentence,
5. "Forward we rode, on wings alight. As of the Earth, as of the Sky."
whitecloud

Post by whitecloud »

Many thanks for your kind help.
Now I know what it means and also that this expression does not often appear in daily life.
Thanks again.
:)