Moderator: Alan

Nami Nami
Rising Star
Rising Star

Questions

Post by Nami Nami »

Dear Teacher,

Recently, I read the following:

The young traveller found more trouble in France, where a woman on a Paris train took offence to him.

"To the French lady who I slammed into with my backpack on the Metro -- Pardon, but get over it!" he wrote in his web diary. "You saw that I had two cases -- don't sit where you sat and not expect to get a backpack in the face."

And I have the following question:

1. I learned "whom" when I was in primary school. Therefore, for the first sentecne in the second paragraph above, I would write "To the French lady into whom I slammed with my backpack....". Is it nowadys people tend to use 'who' instead of 'whom'? If I use 'whom' in my conversation, will I be considered old fashioned or weird? How about using it in writing?

2. Seems that 'on the Metro' means on that Paris train. Is it the name of the train or 'Metro' can also refer to train, like 'Express'?

3. What does he mean by "get over it"?

4. I don't understand the last sentence. Actually what happened? Was it because the French lady refused to give a seat to that young traveller? or the French lady just sat on his suitcase?

Thanks.
Nami Nami
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Nami Nami »

Hi LT,

Thank you very much for your reply.

In your last sentence, you wrote: she had an attitude about that accident. Can you please explain a little bit more on 'she had an attitude'? and how to use it? I couldn't find it in the dictionary. Thanks.

Also, just for discussion, when I learned the word "whom", I was taught to put the preposition in front of 'whom'. That means if we are going to use 'whom' in this example, we will say "To the French lady into whom I slammed with my backpack....", and not "To the French lady whom I slammed into with my backpack....". Is that the same as what you understand?

Another one is 'consider'. I was taught there is no 'as' after 'consider'. But I saw you use 'as' after 'consider'. Just want to raise it and we can discuss....

Thanks again.