English grammar questions, answered by Alan

Moderator: Alan

pdh0224
Rising Star
Rising Star

An odd sentence.

Post by pdh0224 »

Dear teacher,

The magazine's decision to expand into film criticism has already proved quite popular with readers, Ms. Gilman said, though chemists are about as easy to please as movie critics.

Q : I think the sentence is odd to me because "though" isn't match with "easy" when it comes to the context, is it? I consider the message the writer want to show us is that Although chemists are not good at criticizing film, they are popular with readers as a movie critic.

I believe this is correct.

The magazine's decision to expand into film criticism has already proved quite popular with readers, Ms. Gilman said, though chemists are about as hard to please as movie critics.

OR

The magazine's decision to expand into film criticism has already proved quite popular with readers, Ms. Gilman said, though chemists are not about as easy to please as movie critics.

What do you think?
EC
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Re: An odd sentence.

Post by EC »

pdh0224 wrote:The magazine's decision to expand into film criticism has already proved quite popular with readers, Ms. Gilman said, though chemists are about as easy to please as movie critics. :r:

Q : I think the sentence is odd to me because "though" isn't match with "easy" when it comes to the context, is it? I consider the message the writer want to show us is that Although chemists are not good at criticizing film, they are popular with readers as a movie critic.

I believe this is correct.

The magazine's decision to expand into film criticism has already proved quite popular with readers, Ms. Gilman said, though chemists are about as hard to please as movie critics. :r:

OR

The magazine's decision to expand into film criticism has already proved quite popular with readers, Ms. Gilman said, though chemists are not about as easy to please as movie critics. :w:
The original sentence is correct. And so is your first sentence. The writer uses easy in humour (sarcasm - the lowest form of wit), since we all know that film critics are not easy to please.

--Josef