Can we have a debate?

Feel free to post here :)

Moderator: EC

joycenz

Can we have a debate?

Post by joycenz »

Hi, everybody. My name is Joyce, I am a new member.

I have read your posts a few day. I am so happy that I have found a group of people who are so motivated to learn English.

Yesterday morning I was waken up by an exciting idea: Can we have a debate? We can organise a few teams and a judge team. The judge select topics. Every two teams debate for one topic and the judge vote a winning team which goes to second run.

Posting is a easy and free way of learning English. Debating would be a presurer way, but more fun. We have to read more and wright more. A little stimulation by competition. should be more fun!

Hopefully, all of you would like my idea.

Looking forward to hearing form you.

Joyce
Shazzam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Shazzam »

Hi Joyce,

Debates are fun. There is alot in English Club already! Just not named as that!! Read all forums!!!

However if you have an idea for a debate create one I'm sure everyone will join in.

Good luck with it...

8) :) :D
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Like Shazzam1452 said, there's already a lot of debate here. Just take a look at the threads! :D
Unknownsu
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Unknownsu »

Just make sure the debates don't get too heated. Read the threads and you will see what I mean.
joycenz

Post by joycenz »

Debates are fun. There is alot in English Club already! Just not named as that!! Read all forums!!!

However if you have an idea for a debate create one I'm sure everyone will join in.
Good luck with it...
Thank you shazzam. I take you as a suporter! :D

I do not understand what 'threads' mean. Are they people's responses?

I have read a lot the discussion. I feel the freedom through the process. I although feel the the limitation of persanal ideas. Because people normally put their own opinion in the discussion, the outcome is quite obvious.

Debate is different. There are 'for' and 'against' two teams. Each team has to work out their points and another team's points, find out their own support evidences and how to fight back. There are a lot of team work, thinking and expressing skills. It also will be time consuming.

I'll work out detailed procedure if we can get enough people. I am waiting your response. :) :) :)

Can anybody give me an idea how I can inform everybody?
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

joycenz wrote: I do not understand what 'threads' mean. Are they people's responses?
?
Threads are the same as "topics". For instance, this is a thread called Can we have a debate? :D
joycenz

Post by joycenz »

Hi, Dixie

Thank you so much for your help and your careing of my proposal.

Can I take you as a supporter?

I cann't sit and waite. I reckon I need take some action. As long as we get 6-8 people. We can give it a go. :roll:
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: Can we have a debate?

Post by MissLT »

joycenz wrote:Yesterday morning I was waken up by an exciting idea: Can we have a debate? We can organise a few teams and a judge team. The judge select topics. Every two teams debate for one topic and the judge vote a winning team which goes to second run.

Joyce
You can do it at the games and contests forum. I wonder why we ever need that contests section when no one ever tries to participate, except several persons. No new member, at all. Anyway, you can go there to put up your debate ideas and get them going. Good luck.