USA AND "MEMIN PINGUIN"

Let others know the latest news, or discuss it with them.

Moderator: EC

Elba
Rising Star
Rising Star

USA AND "MEMIN PINGUIN"

Post by Elba »

At México there are cartoons about the life of mexican. This is the case of an old comic called "Memín Pinguin", very famous in another countries of latin america.
This is the story of a black boy, because at México there are blacks too, who is very poor, he live with his Mom "Malinda", who works hard in order to give her son meals and elementary school. "Memin Pinguin" = William the rascal" or "Naughty William" makes lot of naughty things, but he is a good boy who loves his mother.
Why I told you this story, because the mexican postal office decide to do a tribute to the mexican cartoons and publish a serie of stamps with the principal characters of the cartoons.
Memín Pinguin is a very old cartoon, maybe 50 years old, but USA government is very angry now, because they think the stamp of Memin is an insult to the afroamericans, include Jesse Jackson said that mexican government should ask for pardon.
I desagree with that because what will happen when the postal office publish the stamp of the cartoon of Ms. Borola Burrón -a red hair woman who live in a mexicana bronx. Then mexicana government must to ask for pardon of Germany.
The USA government doesn´t understand what "popular culture" mean for mexicans.

Here a web site about Memín, unfurtunally is in spanish, but you can see the stamps and give your opinion.

http://www.mundovid.com/prodetalle.asp?idprod=1111
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: USA AND "MEMIN PINGUIN"

Post by MissLT »

Elba wrote:
The USA government doesn´t understand what "popular culture" mean for mexicans.
It depends on the level of racism you're seeing behind all this. Besides, this whole thing started when,
"The stamps were released just weeks after Fox angered U.S. blacks by saying Mexican migrants take jobs in the United States that "not even blacks" want."
Click here
Danyet
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Danyet »

It is none of USA's buisiness to decide what is "politically correct" for Mexico. Americans do not know the whats or hows of Mexican culture. You cannot judge Mexican culture or Fox by US standards. American cry-babies should keep their mouths shut.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Man, I wish Fox would make stamps for the Simpsons. I wonder why they haven't :? .
Elba
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Elba »

I´m glad that people from USA participate in this topic. Thnak you very much.
Lennye Trann wrote:It depends on the level of racism you're seeing behind all this. Besides, this whole thing started when,
"The stamps were released just weeks after Fox angered U.S. blacks by saying Mexican migrants take jobs in the United States that "not even blacks" want."
Yes Lennye, mexican president is too fool, usually he get confussed in his speech. I remember that some day he confused the name of a latinamerican writter: Jorge Luis Borgesand he said JOSE LUIS BORGUES. He is too "stupid" man, he never pay atenttion in what his speech said, because you should know that has a group of people who make his speechs.

Every time Mr president has a mistake the mexican press make a big noisy in order to let him know that he was wrong. That was the case of the "NOT EVEN BLACKS", but if you analyse this sentences you could percibe that -and this is a fact- at USA black people has a second place in the society, but mexicans has the five place in the social scale. Then the reacism is not from Mexico, but also of the USA GOVERNMENT.

About MEMIN PINGUIN, this is an old cartoon, from 1950, and is part of a tribute of Postal Ofice to mexican cartoons. Usually postal ofice make that kind of tributes, there are series of stamps about politicians, historic buildings, mexican fruits, etc.
Fox don´t order to make this tributes, is part of the independence of the postal ofice. Anf the postal ofice doesn´t make any tribute to Simposons, because there aren´t mexicans.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Elba wrote: Anf the postal ofice doesn´t make any tribute to Simposons, because there aren´t mexicans.
:P I was talking about FOX, channel 2 in the US, not Fox your president. Sorry I didn't make it clear.
Elba
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Elba »

Lennye Tran wrote:I was talking about FOX, channel 2 in the US, not Fox your president. Sorry I didn't make it clear.

Jua Jua Jua Jua and more JUA,

Then why you put in your reply a link about Mr president Vicente Fox?
Let me tell you something: I´m journalist, and for that reazon I love the true, even if day by day mass media acept orders from the people of power, even if day by day more journalist are conquered by the money of people of power. Do you understand?
I don´t like to be false, I recognize every mistake I do, and wrong things like happen in Mexico, like narcotrafic, kidnapkings, etc. But I recognize too the good things, like the effort every day mexicans -no politicians, common people- do in order to get a better country.
An for that I recognize the mistakes of the president, and where another countries, like USA or UK say wrong things about my country.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Elba wrote: Every time Mr president has a mistake the mexican press make a big noisy in order to let him know that he was wrong. That was the case of the "NOT EVEN BLACKS", but if you analyse this sentences you could percibe that -and this is a fact- at USA black people has a second place in the society, but mexicans has the five place in the social scale. Then the reacism is not from Mexico, but also of the USA GOVERNMENT.
Everyone knows racism exists in the US. No one tries to denies it because it happens everywhere in the US. It's a white-men country, for God's sake. African-Americans and other ethnic groups are still considered as minority groups in the US. However, African-American group is the biggest, following is Spanish and then others (this is just a fact, it has nothing to do with I'm trying to say) Anyway, there is racism in the US; therefore, people try to avoid to talk about it or try to make comparison between ethnic groups of people to see which group is better. What your president has said is an insult to African-Americans and I believe to Mexican people also. He's angered them by his speech; now he's trying to be involved with a cartoon that talks about an African-American boy. It's like he's made a scab and now he's picking at it. That's why the action makes them angry, not the cartoon itself. If he hadn't said anything about African-Americans or made comparison, no protest would have happened. Do you feel what I'm saying?
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Elba wrote:
Lennye Tran wrote:I was talking about FOX, channel 2 in the US, not Fox your president. Sorry I didn't make it clear.

Jua Jua Jua Jua and more JUA,

Then why you put in your reply a link about Mr president Vicente Fox?
That's the link about the incident and his name reminded me of Fox channel 2. That's all :roll: :roll: .
Elba
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Elba »

Ok Lennye,

But I have to say you that Memín is not an AFRICAN-AMERICAN boy, is a MEXICAN BOY. Belive me, the author of the cartoon was a mexican women who died some years ago. At mexico there is black people in all the states of the country.
Remember that spanish conquers transport people from Caribe and use them as slaves at the same time they used as slaves mexican people. After that, at the beginig of 30´s more people from Cuba come to México. This was a period of a big inmigration of black people. In 50´s when Batista was president of Cuba, another big number of cubans came to Méxic.
A similar phenomena take place with chines people at 40´s and with spanish people until the spanish civil war.
México is a frienship country, for that reazon, at 1970 people from Chile came here, and return to their countri when Pinochet was quicket out the power.
Do you know that uncle got marry with a black woman from Acapulco. My uncle died at 1992, they has four children -3 woman and 1 boy- Now, three of my cousins has one child. All of them are black and are beautifull babies.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Ok, let step back and look at what you've written again, shall we?
First,
Elba wrote: At México there are cartoons about the life of mexican. This is the case of an old comic called "Memín Pinguin", very famous in another countries of latin america.
This is the story of a black boy, because at México there are blacks too, who is very poor, he live with his Mom "Malinda", who works hard in order to give her son meals and elementary school.
And now,
Elba wrote: But I have to say you that Memín is not an AFRICAN-AMERICAN boy, is a MEXICAN BOY.
And the news said, "The stamp featuring Memin Pinguin, a sort of Jim Crow-era vision of a black child"
If you only knew and if you only knew I was talking about black people preferring them as African-Americans or Afro-Americans to euphemize the offensive words. And if you knew and if you only knew it did not matter that kid was African-American or black Mexican, the problem was not about him. It was about his skin and your President's speech. If you did put them together, you would have seen why people were angry at this. And by the way, African-American activists don't represent US GOVERNMENT because the GOVERNMENT hasn't done anything about this whole thing. For a fact, they don't really care if your President decided to make stamps for that cartoon kid or not. It's not political business. He's angered African-American ACTIVISTS by his comparison. Please look at the root of the source first.
idalia
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by idalia »

danyet wrote:It is none of USA's buisiness to decide what is "politically correct" for Mexico. Americans do not know the whats or hows of Mexican culture. You cannot judge Mexican culture or Fox by US standards. American cry-babies should keep their mouths shut.

Thanks a lot for your opinion!!!!!! I'm so glad that an american has this way of thinking, this shows that not everybody in USA is against different cultures from yours. :wink:
idalia
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by idalia »

LennyeTran wrote:
Elba wrote: Anf the postal ofice doesn´t make any tribute to Simposons, because there aren´t mexicans.
:P I was talking about FOX, channel 2 in the US, not Fox your president. Sorry I didn't make it clear.

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha :lol: :lol: :lol: when I read these posts I was laughing to death. It was hilarious!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

idalia wrote:
danyet wrote:It is none of USA's buisiness to decide what is "politically correct" for Mexico. Americans do not know the whats or hows of Mexican culture. You cannot judge Mexican culture or Fox by US standards. American cry-babies should keep their mouths shut.

Thanks a lot for your opinion!!!!!! I'm so glad that an american has this way of thinking, this shows that not everybody in USA is against different cultures from yours. :wink:
He's not American. He votes for Republican, but he's not American. And he's not African-American, that's why.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

idalia wrote:
LennyeTran wrote:

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha :lol: :lol: :lol: when I read these posts I was laughing to death. It was hilarious!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I don't get it. What's so funny? :?
Danyet
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Danyet »

Your guesses are wrong about me.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

danyet wrote:Your guesses are wrong about me.
You're an African-American and you don't vote for Republican? :roll: Suuuuuuuuuuuuure.
Elba
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Elba »

Lennye,

Are you an africa-american?
Do you know Danyet?
there´s something that I don´t understand: What´s the problem with the Republican party?

Danyet,

Are you an african-american?

I though both was chinness living in USA.
Elba
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Elba »

Lennye,

I would like you read this point of views from american people.

I respect the opinion of all the people, and if in this case you felt ofended sorry for that. Now let me tell you that here in Mexico nobody found ofenssive when the cartoon of Speedy González apear. For us is like a funny cartoon.
And I can´t belive that yoou think that people who not share your opinion isn´t american. for that reazon I post this linkand again sorry if you ofended of if you will feel you ofended with the next link.
http://forums.gametrailers.com/showthread.php?t=11922
Danyet
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Danyet »

Elba wrote:Lennye,

there´s something that I don´t understand: What´s the problem with the Republican party?

Danyet,

Are you an african-american?

No I am not Black. I am not Republican.

Also there is nothing wrong with the Republican Party. It has as many problems as the Democratic party.

Lennye has simply inferred that it is understood that anyone who is a Republican is invalid on this forum. Lennye has succumed or resorted to a rather pathetic position to take in a debate.

Rev. Jesse Jackson is a controversial figure in the USA. He does not speak for all Blacks. Many Americans of African herritage think that he has done a disservice to the Minority cause in America on countless issues. He, for a Reverand, has shown himself to be hypocritical in his personal life especially in the treatment of his own wife. He is not a good role model for the people he professes to stand for. Personally I think that he just like to be a "celebrity".
Elba
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Elba »

Yes, I have heard that kind of thinks you mentioned from american citizens, and not in a forum, but also personally. I have some american friends, and mexican friends living for almost 20 years at washington DC and NY.
Well this topic had the intention to know another opinions, only that.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Elba wrote: Lennye,

Are you an africa-american?
Do you know Danyet?
I'll tell you about the differences later when I have time.

Elba wrote:I though both was chinness living in USA.
I'm VIETNAMESE. Please get this straight. I do not like to be called Chinese. No offense to Chinese people, but this is not who I am. That's all.
Last edited by MissLT on Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Elba wrote:Lennye,

I would like you read this point of views from american people.

I respect the opinion of all the people, and if in this case you felt ofended sorry for that. Now let me tell you that here in Mexico nobody found ofenssive when the cartoon of Speedy González apear. For us is like a funny cartoon.
And I can´t belive that yoou think that people who not share your opinion isn´t american. for that reazon I post this linkand again sorry if you ofended of if you will feel you ofended with the next link.
http://forums.gametrailers.com/showthread.php?t=11922
Who is this person? Caucasian, Asian, Hispanic, or African-American?
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

danyet wrote: No I am not Black. I am not Republican.

Also there is nothing wrong with the Republican Party. It has as many problems as the Democratic party.

Lennye has simply inferred that it is understood that anyone who is a Republican is invalid on this forum. Lennye has succumed or resorted to a rather pathetic position to take in a debate.
Get this straight, buddy. I did NOT say a Republican is invalid in this room or anything. Please find a sentence that I said it was. Do not put words in my mouth. I hate people who do that. If you're strong enough to be in a debate, use your own words to discuss your points with me. Do not use your words and say it's my point.
danyet wrote:Rev. Jesse Jackson is a controversial figure in the USA. He does not speak for all Blacks. Many Americans of African herritage think that he has done a disservice to the Minority cause in America on countless issues. He, for a Reverand, has shown himself to be hypocritical in his personal life especially in the treatment of his own wife. He is not a good role model for the people he professes to stand for. Personally I think that he just like to be a "celebrity".
You are not African-American, so you don't even know what's like to be one. And I am not one so I don't know what's like to be one, but I got corrected by one African-American about this; therefore, I have some slight ideas how they would feel about this.
There was one old African-American man walking in the place I used to work at, and at that time I was busy talking to another customer so I just said hello to him. After that customer left, one Caucasian stepped in asking for direction; therefore, I just answered him quick. When he left, the old man said to me, "you're racist and discriminated. I stepped in first and you answered the white man first. I know I'm Black, but I'm not a scary person so you don't have to do that to avoid me." And he just left without letting me explain the whole situation.
Can you see some people could be that sensitive. Most African-Americans are not Republicans, but they did cry for Abraham Lincoln when he died. Why? It's because he freed the slaves although he was a Republican President.
Anyway, the bottom line is being on a stamp in an honor, in any country. I can't find a country where being on a stamp is a shame. If you could find one, inform to me then. Thus, that cartoon kid is on the stamp is an honor. Literally, it would be an honor for black people in general. However, Mexican President made a racist and discriminated compararison between blacks and Mexicans. That's what got them mad, not the cartoon itself. This cartoon is not from the U.S or of the U.S, therefore, black people have no rights to say anything unless they feel it's as like an additional slap to their faces after Mexican President made his "wise" compararison between the two races.
Danyet
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Danyet »

LennyeTran wrote: Get this straight, buddy. I did NOT say a Republican is invalid in this room or anything. Please find a sentence that I said it was. Do not put words in my mouth.
You don't have to SAY it. It is clear that that is what you meant otherwise you would not have brought your speculation of Rebublicanism into this.

AS to your story of the elderly black man: He was probably the racist by just assuming that you were a racist before talking to you about it.

And those that cried for Abraham Lincoln were motivated by the same thing that everyone cried over when this last Pope died. Peer pressure from media exposure. Personally I couldn't have given a hoot over the old codger.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

danyet wrote:
LennyeTran wrote: Get this straight, buddy. I did NOT say a Republican is invalid in this room or anything. Please find a sentence that I said it was. Do not put words in my mouth.
You don't have to SAY it. It is clear that that is what you meant otherwise you would not have brought your speculation of Rebublicanism into this.
I do not like Republicans and it's my personal choice; however, I did NOT say you had no right to speak in here or whatsoever. Don't give me that "you don't have to say it" thing. I did NOT say it; therefore, it means I do not have a problem with you speaking in here. What I have is a problem of you being a Republican. If you did read my post clearly, you would see my intention right through.
danyet wrote: AS to your story of the elderly black man: He was probably the racist by just assuming that you were a racist before talking to you about it.
Do you even understand the word racist means? He told me he was hurt by my action and left without letting me explain. You don't call it racism. Please look it up in your dictionary before you use it, I advise you. You could say he was being over-dramatic, sensitive, uptight, but not racist.
danyet wrote: And those that cried for Abraham Lincoln were motivated by the same thing that everyone cried over when this last Pope died. Peer pressure from media exposure. Personally I couldn't have given a hoot over the old codger.
Abraham Lincoln was the sixteen President of the United States. He died when media was not a big part of our lives, how could his death was a part of the press? If you can't see what he had done was something anyone would value especially black people, this discussion is over. END OF DISCUSSION right here.
Danyet
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Danyet »

You are dreaming if you think the people were not stirred by newspapers in those days. You are historically uneducated here. By the way many people say that Abe Lincoln did not actually free slaves since he did not issue Emancipation Proclaimating until after the Civil War had already started. Plus, personally he wanted to send all ex-slaves to Africa after the Civil War.