Australian authors

Talk about books and writers here.

Moderator: EC

Shazzam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Shazzam »

Banjo Patterson was one Australian author that comes to mind. Not only was he a great poet but he was a story writer as well. It is claimed that alot of his written work was actually published under another name. I would love to get some more information on that. In fact I think that you have inspired me into doing some research.

Colleen McCulloch another great Australia writer. She wrote "the Thorn Birds".

GOOD TOPIC! :D
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

In college, I took a compulsory subject on Australian literature. I remember readind a novel by David Maalouf. Does his name ring a bell? The novel I read was called Fly away, Peter.
Shazzam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Shazzam »

Dixie wrote:In college, I took a compulsory subject on Australian literature. I remember readind a novel by David Maalouf. Does his name ring a bell? The novel I read was called Fly away, Peter.
Hi Dixie. David Malouf was actually born in Brisbane which is in Queensland Australia in 1934. The book that you mentioned I have to admit I haven't read; but I think I might.....

Fly Away Peter, 1981 (aka The Bread of Time to Come)

He also has alot of other novels to his credit; I found some out from friends and some from the internet:

An Imaginery Life
Harlands Halt Acre
The Great WOrld

This is only a few. I'm so glad you brought this writer to my attention. I must admit I had never heard of him before. What did you think of his books? Also can you give me an idea of his styling. I might try and get some from the Library.... :idea:
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

I just read that one. The subject dealt with the literature of Canada, Australia and New Zealand and that, obviously, was too much for a whole semester.

I don't remember much about Fly Away, Peter. I recall "Peter" was a bird and the main characters of the novel were two or three people who worshipped birds. I think there was a war, too; but I am not sure since it's been a few years and don't remember :D