How can terrorist attacks be prevented in the future?

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

User avatar
TalkingPoint
EC Teacher
EC Teacher
Posts: 251
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 2:21 pm
Status: English Teacher
Location: England
Contact:

How can terrorist attacks be prevented in the future?

Postby TalkingPoint » Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:42 am

How can terrorist attacks be prevented in the future?
Last edited by TalkingPoint on Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shokin
Rough Diamond Member
Posts: 1338
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:32 pm
Status: English Learner
Location: Switzerland

Postby shokin » Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:05 pm

heu...

love each others...

respect

honesty

don't try to control all world

Think to help everyone you can help.

Put pride off.

Shokin
Nous sommes libres. Wir sind frei. We are free. Somos libres. Siamo liberi.

authorityquery
Silver Member
Posts: 87
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:34 pm
Location: Vietnam
Contact:

Postby authorityquery » Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:26 pm

I think all countries have to unite ,and cooperate to prevent terrorists. Everybody has to know how danger of terrorist and refuses to help them, we have to avoid them, isolate them, and do everything to make them understand that they are doing wrong way.
And maybe we should forgive them if they want to change to good way, don't try to force them to the wall, let make them understand that they still have way out of crime.
Thanks.
MTV i like most wanted

User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
Posts: 3964
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Postby MissLT » Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:23 am

authorityquery wrote:I think all countries have to unite ,and cooperate to prevent terrorists. Everybody has to know how danger of terrorist and refuses to help them, we have to avoid them, isolate them, and do everything to make them understand that they are doing wrong way.

I think so, too.

User avatar
Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member
Posts: 1204
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:40 am
Location: Australia

Postby Shazzam » Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:06 pm

We firstly need to establish why these people are performing terrorist acts. We can't stop them until we understand why they are happening in the first place.

User avatar
hello
Member
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:17 pm
Location: Dubai

Postby hello » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:33 pm

Well, I think when the world stops discrimination and stops interfering with other's privacies, then people can enjoy their freedom and we all will enjoy peace ....

Dream,,,
:P
Dreams

leen@rasel
Silver Member
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed May 04, 2005 3:28 pm

Postby leen@rasel » Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:17 pm

if some countries stoped from stuffing their nose into others buisness and if goverments were hounst and faithful to thier community and that is by putting off thier personal interests and try to think a little bit about their people....we must try to live peacfully without thinking about races cultures and religions

User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
Posts: 3964
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Postby MissLT » Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:06 pm

leen__rasel wrote:if some countries stoped from stuffing their nose into others buisness and if goverments were hounst and faithful to thier community and that is by putting off thier personal interests and try to think a little bit about their people....we must try to live peacfully without thinking about races cultures and religions

This will be out of topic a little bit, but I disagree with that, in some sense. Genocide in Rwanda is an example. People in the world were turning their backs on those innocent victims when it'd happened. Thousands were killed, for many people didn't care since it was in Africa. Only UN didn't turn their backs; they helped those poor people, but not many countries were willing to let them borrow their troops. That genocide is one of the most killing rate that has happened :cry: :cry: :cry: .

leen@rasel
Silver Member
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed May 04, 2005 3:28 pm

Postby leen@rasel » Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:11 pm

dear lynne maybe i didn't explain what i meant by saying that some countries should not stuf their noze into others buisness, what i wanted to say is that some countries interfer in other countries decisions and politics while these countries do not actually need help , they think that they have the green light to interfer while they don't and the problem that the leaderships are the ones who usually give them this seign,what they care about is their interests, they think that the country is going tofall down when they say no ..no...no thank you.,...thank you lynne

User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
Posts: 3964
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Postby MissLT » Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:11 pm

It's the same thing as what you said in your earlier post, but never mind that.

leen@rasel
Silver Member
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed May 04, 2005 3:28 pm

Postby leen@rasel » Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:39 pm

i don't know what do you want me to say but i think that you understand what i mean ....i don't have to say more , i don't want to give examples because i don't want to get myself into troubles...

User avatar
Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member
Posts: 1204
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:40 am
Location: Australia

Postby Shazzam » Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:02 pm

leen__rasel wrote:i don't know what do you want me to say but i think that you understand what i mean ....i don't have to say more , i don't want to give examples because i don't want to get myself into troubles...


I see what you are saying and I do agree with it in the most part. I think Governments have to get involved in human right issues; but shouldn't intefere in how other Countries govern unless they are expressly ASKED to.

It is common sense; you don't go out and push people around you wait until they ask you for help, or you will be seen as a busybody!

We are all aware that alot of decisions that have been made in the past have had nothing to do with human rights or protection; they have been more about acquiring land or minerals. :(

sunnyni
Member
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:47 am
Contact:

Postby sunnyni » Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:32 am

There are many reasons for the existence of terrorist.
we have to find it.Such as the unfair distribute of the fortune, the corruption of the goverment, original resource is pockety and so on. Maybe we have to do something to help each other, not just by weapon. If we always solve such problem by force, but ignore the exist problem, maybe there will be more and more terrorist.

User avatar
Danyet
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board
Posts: 892
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:29 am
Status: English Teacher
Location: USA

Postby Danyet » Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:24 pm

LennyeTran wrote: Only UN didn't turn their backs; they helped those poor people :cry: :cry: :cry: .
You are mistaken about that. The UN pulled their troops out of Rwanda even though the local commander proteseted. That'a when the slaughter began.

User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
Posts: 3964
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Postby MissLT » Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:05 am

danyet wrote:
LennyeTran wrote: Only UN didn't turn their backs; they helped those poor people :cry: :cry: :cry: .
You are mistaken about that. The UN pulled their troops out of Rwanda even though the local commander proteseted. That'a when the slaughter began.

The UN couldn't borrow troops from the countries they asked for. Belgium was involved, but many soldiers were killed; therefore, they pulled their troops out of Rwanda. Check the facts at PBS website or you can check the documentary DVD Ghosts of Rwanda.

User avatar
Danyet
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board
Posts: 892
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:29 am
Status: English Teacher
Location: USA

Postby Danyet » Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:38 am

There was a good movie about one man's survival through the Rwanda ordeal if anyone is interested. It is called Hotel Rwanda.

User avatar
Rui
Gold Member
Posts: 477
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:41 am
Location: World, Portugal, Porto, Maia
Contact:

Postby Rui » Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:02 pm

Mohammad Sidique Khan said:
"I am going to keep this short and to the point, because it's all been said before by far more eloquent people than me.

"But our words have no impact upon you, therefore I'm going to talk to you in a language that you understand. Our words are dead until we give them life with our blood.

"I'm sure by now the media has painted a suitable picture of me, this predictable propaganda machine will naturally try to put a spin on it to suit the government and to scare the masses into conforming to their power- and wealth-obsessed agendas.
"I and thousands like me are forsaking everything for what we believe. Our driving motivation doesn't come from tangible commodities that this world has to offer. Our religion is Islam, obedience to the one true God, Allah and follow in the footsteps of the final prophet and messenger Muhammad.
"This is how our ethical stances are dictated. Your democratically elected governments perpetuate atrocities against my people and your support of them makes you responsible, just as I am directly responsible for protecting and avenging my Muslim brothers and sisters.

"Until we feel security, you'll be our target. Until you stop the bombing, gassing, imprisonment and torture of my people, we'll not stop this fight. We are at war and I am a soldier. Now you too will taste the reality of this situation."



This is the text that one of the terrorists left to us, of course this seen from his eyes, i don't know if this have some importance but i thought it could be a good element to the conversation about what they think when they are preparing one attack, it's terrible and is difficult to understand what we can do to stop them :(

User avatar
Danyet
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board
Posts: 892
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:29 am
Status: English Teacher
Location: USA

Postby Danyet » Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:02 pm

The answer is very simple but no one is willing to risk their political carreer to stop terrorists on Western shores. Terrorists power comes from their religion. This can be done because their religion is political and goes against the moral values and laws already established in Western countries such as their views on polygamy. We must outlaw their religion and bannish it from the shores of our Western countries.

Those of you who are not willing to do that are your own worst enemies because you invite terrorism into your homes.

User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
Posts: 3964
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Postby MissLT » Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:56 pm

danyet wrote:There was a good movie about one man's survival through the Rwanda ordeal if anyone is interested. It is called Hotel Rwanda.

A documentary film-- a collection of all facts and interviews of people who have happened to be in certain situation, which the film is trying to bring out.
A movie about a fact-- a view of the producer through his own lens about the facts, people, etc.
Hmmm... I wonder which one is more reliable??!?!?!?!?!? :roll: :roll:

natsu0713
Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 5:23 am
Location: Taipei, Taiwan

Postby natsu0713 » Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:17 am

I think this is a difficult question to answer. Terrorism has existed for a long time. If there is indeed an effective way to slove this problem peacefully, then that person who find out that way should deserve a Nobel Peace Prize.

What I can think up is only crazy ideas. The first one is to catch all of the terrorists and send them to outer space or put them on an island and use an atom bomb to kill them. Thus, they will disappear from the earth. However, what is the difference between this way and terrorist attacks?

Another crazy idea is to hypnotize the terrorists. By telling them that it is not right to do inhuman behaviors to other people.

Well... those are my ideas about how to prevent terrorist attacks in the future.

Pearla
Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 6:40 am

Postby Pearla » Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:29 pm

In my opinion terrorist is an old and complicated problem and religion and race have nothing to do with it. It’s a feeling of hate and anger within human toward another human. So, I think the best way to solve this problem is conversation. We should set with those people and try to understand why they are doing that and what’s make them feeling that way and then try to get to a suitable solution that satisfy the both sides.


Return to “Talking Point Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

cron