What is the latest book you have read recently?

Talk about books and writers here.

Moderators: Vega, EC

MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby MissLT » Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:13 pm

Lalee wrote: :o 40 is a lot, Lennye. I wish there were a library like that here. Libraries here suck ass! :cry:

Yeah but amazingly enough, some people still complain about it. Last time I had to do a project about a culture, so I needed to find books of it. I came to the library at 9 something (it's open at 10), I was waiting outside and there were already bunch of people waiting at the door. They were talking so loud. I made a conversation with a group of college students (it was fun). We came to a point about how many books we could borrow at the library, and they were bitter because they could only borrow 40 books :roll: . So weird....

Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006

Postby Dixie » Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:44 pm

Lalee wrote:The title of the book is "Great Expectations."

I have that book. I started reading it but didn't finish. It bored me to death!! I'm sorry to say that, master Dickens! Maybe I should try starting it again. Focus!!

serenella
Gold Member

Postby serenella » Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:46 pm

I don't like Dickens, too. He was surely a great writer, but I don't like reading his books: besides being boring, I think they are too realistic, pessimistic, sad.

Lalee
Platinum Member

Postby Lalee » Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:33 am

LennyeTran wrote:Yeah but amazingly enough, some people still complain about it. Last time I had to do a project about a culture, so I needed to find books of it. I came to the library at 9 something (it's open at 10), I was waiting outside and there were already bunch of people waiting at the door. They were talking so loud. I made a conversation with a group of college students (it was fun). We came to a point about how many books we could borrow at the library, and they were bitter because they could only borrow 40 books :roll: . So weird....

Ok Lennye, let me get this straight... the students were upset because they could "only" borrow 40 books?? *Gasp*
If they were bitter just for that, I wonder what they would do if they lived here...Hmm...I think they would destroy the libraries here showing their anger and disagreement.
Watch out Lima libraries! :wink:

Lalee
Platinum Member

Postby Lalee » Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:48 am

Dixie wrote:I have that book. I started reading it but didn't finish. It bored me to death!! I'm sorry to say that, master Dickens! Maybe I should try starting it again. Focus!!

Well, what can I say...the book is not amusing but is not that bad. I'm about to finish it.
This is my first time that I read a Dickens' book so I can't say whether or not his books are all the same.

Come to think of it, I saw a movie similar to that book. Do you remember? Starring Ethan Hawke and Gwyneth Paltrow. Yeah, it's the same story! :o

Dixie

Postby Dixie » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:56 am

Lalee wrote:Come to think of it, I saw a movie similar to that book. Do you remember? Starring Ethan Hawke and Gwyneth Paltrow. Yeah, it's the same story! :o

Did you notice everything was green in that movie?

Lalee
Platinum Member

Postby Lalee » Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:55 pm

Dixie wrote:
Did you notice everything was green in that movie?

Hmm...what do you mean with "green"? :roll:

Dixie

Postby Dixie » Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:17 pm

Lalee wrote:
Hmm...what do you mean with "green"? :roll:

By "green" I mean green :D if you notice, everything in the movie is green: the house, the characters' outfits, the walls... Just watch it again! :D

Lalee
Platinum Member

Postby Lalee » Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:06 am

Dixie wrote:By "green" I mean green :D if you notice, everything in the movie is green: the house, the characters' outfits, the walls... Just watch it again! :D

Hmm...I guess I'll have to see it again. It's been a long time since I watched that movie that's why I can't remember it.

When was the last time you saw it?

Goronman
Silver Member

Postby Goronman » Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:36 pm

Hi everybody :!:
The latest book I've read is called "De vita beata" (<=> "Happy life" :? ) by Sénèque, who was a roman philosopher. It is quite astounding to read a book who was written almost 2000 years old ago ! (and it is not so old-fashioned :) ) In this work, he tries to tell us how to lead an happy and quiet life.
Has anybody read a book written by Sénèque ? I advise you this author, who's quite understandable...

Bye
Goronman

Dixie

Postby Dixie » Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:54 pm

Lalee wrote:When was the last time you saw it?

I don't know, it was the last time that was showed on Spanish TV... months ago.

Tankette

Postby Tankette » Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:01 pm

in process of "Strata" by Terry Pratchett.
the last finished was "The name of the Rose" (U.Eco).

trinity19
Silver Member

Postby trinity19 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:24 am

the last book i've read is 1984 by george orwell and i have to say that, although the story didn't engage me a lot in some moments, it's very interesting because of the world that presents. it's curious how different we are in some things and how similar in others, like the influence of the media. the topics of mind manipulation, manipulation through language, etc. were very interesting too.
have someone read this kind of books? do you prefer others like farenheit or brave new world?

goronman, i think i'm gonna study sénèque next year so i hope i will be able to read something written by him :)

Goronman
Silver Member

Postby Goronman » Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:32 pm

trinity19 wrote:the last book i've read is 1984 by george orwell

I've read it too, not a long time ago ! :P Although it's science-fiction, it's quite funny to see how our modern world looks like, or rather begins to look like to Orwell's vision : the importance of media, disinformation, egoism, bachelorhood ( :cry: ) and also mass globalisation. Quite frightening...
I advise you, by George Orwell, Animal Farm (If you have not read it yet :wink: ). It's a deep critic or the USSR regim and Stalin's dictatory...

Good luck with stoics :wink:
BYE
Goronman

P:S Where do you come from Trinity19 ? ( :arrow: I'm just curious :mrgreen: )

trinity19
Silver Member

Postby trinity19 » Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:15 pm

yeah, you're not the first one that advises me "animal farm" so i think i'm going to pick it up at the library :D i saw things that reminded me to the USSR regim in "1984" too.
i'm from barcelona. i haven't updated my profile yet, i'll do it now :wink:

quicksilver
Gold Member

Postby quicksilver » Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:10 am

My hobby is also books, but now i dont have much time to read it , cos the kind i like is fiction books,they are almost very long .
Now im reading Gone with the wind , an old fiction .
but i think it is very famous, so we should read it.
anyone read Anna Karenina by Lev Tonstoil?

martazzz
Silver Member

Postby martazzz » Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:44 pm

The lastest book i've read is The Da vinci Code and Angels and Demons... Is there anyone has read them? I think they're so beautiful!! :lol:

illusion
Platinum Member

Postby illusion » Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:11 am

right now I am reading ''Crime and Punishment'' by a Russian writer called Dostoyevski..

Dixie

Postby Dixie » Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:22 am

illusion wrote:right now I am reading ''Crime and Punishment'' by a Russian writer called Dostoyevski..

That book is very popular here. But I must say I haven't read it.

Francuzzo

Postby Francuzzo » Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:13 am

I have read a Micheal Crichton book the book's name was Congo

illusion
Platinum Member

Postby illusion » Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:18 am

Dixie wrote:
illusion wrote:right now I am reading ''Crime and Punishment'' by a Russian writer called Dostoyevski..

That book is very popular here. But I must say I haven't read it.

I think you should give it a try, Dixie. It's a reflective story about a guy that murders two innocent women... I find it quite strange as I don't read many of books concering those issues but this one seems really good.

Return to “Books & Authors”