dan brown

Talk about books and writers here.

Moderator: EC

ozlemysticgirl

Dan Brown- Da Vinci Code,Angels And Demons Do you like?

Post by ozlemysticgirl »

I have just read these two books and I must admit that they gave me all the pleasure and excitement.Mysticism has always attracted me.(you can see it in my nick too :) )So both of them completely appeal to me.I really like Dan Brown.What do you think?Do you like?Give me your opinions pls
Thanks
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

It was okay.
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

I loved them!!!!!!!!

I read The Da Vinci Code first. I read it in two days. It just fascinated me! I found it really interesting. I started with Angels and Demons immediately, and the first thing I thought was: "Both novels start the same way!", you know.

I've read the other two novels by Brown, Digital Fortress (his first novel, I think) and Deception Point, which were OK.

The Da Vinci Code was the best one! Now this type of novels are proliferating in bookstores!
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Well, it looked pretty real to me :roll: As I was reading the book, I thought all the explantions given were realistic. Later on I realized it was just a novel. But I think it could be, why not?
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

It's a fictitious book. It should be under fiction section in the bookstores. And there's a documentary movie about this book that one English... (I forgot what he was) was going after all the clues that are given out in the book to see whether they're true or not. I recommend you to see it if you like to see nice scences of England and the places that are mentioned in the book. It'll make you feel like you've been to those places :wink: .
ozlemysticgirl

Post by ozlemysticgirl »

I agree with Dixie it's just a novel but I believe that it may be true that Jesus was married to Maria Magdalena.Dan Brown wrote the novel so vividly that its impossible not to believe it.I carried away much while reading the book. :)
hedwig14

sigh...

Post by hedwig14 »

As a Christian, i don't believe in it... i would always uphold what is stated in the Bible... Though, it may be written so vividly, it's still not the ground of the truth.. i've heard that there is this one book which they say is written with more precision.. i don't know why these people are writing these books(may it be true or not). but i'll never submit to them... it's my faith..
illusion
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by illusion »

many religious people feel offened by that book. Personally I don't. I like it even though it says stuff like Jesus had a wife and he had a son. I mean it would be a bit ridiculous, wouldn't it? Dan Brown is just a professional writer and took care about all the details so well that some people believed it's all true. I think he based on some facts for sure but it only helped him to develop his own story and his own point of view of that matter. And that's how this great book came to life haha ;p
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

illusion wrote:many religious people feel offened by that book.
According to my father-in-law, those who get offended by that book are not educated people :D
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

illusion wrote:Dan Brown is just a professional writer and took care about all the details so well that some people believed it's all true. I think he based on some facts for sure but it only helped him to develop his own story and his own point of view of that matter. And that's how this great book came to life haha ;p
Exactly! And maybe I'm not a Christian so I don't understand this, but I don't see the big deal of it if Jesus got married... :?
illusion
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by illusion »

yeah, I am Christian but I don't feel offended at all. it's only a book. nothing to feel hurt about..;p
martazzz

dan brown

Post by martazzz »

The lastest book i ve read is "The da vinci code" and "Angels and Demons"... They were so beautiful..Is there anyone has read them?? :D
ozlemysticgirl

Post by ozlemysticgirl »

I agree with you they are so cool but thats my topic!be careful! :) :!:
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: dan brown

Post by Dixie »

martazzz wrote:The lastest book i ve read is "The da vinci code" and "Angels and Demons"... They were so beautiful..Is there anyone has read them?? :D
I've got all his novels (he's got 4). I loved them, but my favorite ones are the most popular ones: The Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons. I still don't know how there can be so many people that get mad when they read those novels.
trinity19

Post by trinity19 »

i've only read the da vinci code and, although the story is very interesting, i think it gets worse as it comes to the end. i liked it but sometimes it seems more like a film than a novel...i don't know if someone has understood what i want to say cuz i don't know how to explain it in my language, so less in english! :roll:
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

trinity19 wrote:i've only read the da vinci code and, although the story is very interesting, i think it gets worse as it comes to the end. i liked it but sometimes it seems more like a film than a novel...i don't know if someone has understood what i want to say cuz i don't know how to explain it in my language, so less in english! :roll:
Hehehehehe... Tell me in Catalan, maybe I can help you :lol: :lol:

I loved the book, it made me cry at the end :oops: :roll:
martazzz

Post by martazzz »

Trinity I've understood what you was tring to say.. yes it happend in a night it's very fast!! I've cried too at the end of Da Vinci Code.. It's so beautiful!! In italy the others dan brown novels are nomore in the libraries..uffff
DeadDream

Dan Brown ^^

Post by DeadDream »

hi! ^^
i red the 'angels'n'demons'
its very attractive book with intresting plot
in russia this book is very popular
everyone read it and everyone find this the bestsaller
imo its unusually expirience in fiction literature
Dan Brown! i wish u success and inspiration
Fight 4 your L!
idalia
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by idalia »

The Da Vinci Code, one of the best novels I've ever read, it kept me interested page after page :wink: :wink:

An author who can do that, I mean keep the readers interested has to be Excellent just like Dan Brown
Fyfy

Post by Fyfy »

i don't know if what he wrote was true or false...

but it seemed to me more realistic than the Bible version

i mean jesus was a man, wasn't he? he certainly had a wife and they made love and they knew it was something absolutely great!
why the church has to condamn it?
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Fyfy wrote:i don't know if what he wrote was true or false...

but it seemed to me more realistic than the Bible version

i mean jesus was a man, wasn't he? he certainly had a wife and they made love and they knew it was something absolutely great!
Certainly is a strong word. We have no proof of this or whatsoever, for crying out loud.
trinity19

Post by trinity19 »

Dixie wrote:Hehehehehe... Tell me in Catalan, maybe I can help you :lol: :lol:
i don't know how to explain myself in catalan neither! lol but is good to know there's someone that will understand me the day i know what i'm talking about!
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Fyfy wrote: i mean jesus was a man, wasn't he? he certainly had a wife and they made love and they knew it was something absolutely great!
The Catholic Church hides loads of things.
pob
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by pob »

I'm proud I haven't and I will not read those kind of books. So I can make a difference between myself and the kind of people that like talking about anything someone gives them to talk about, even if that anything is actually nothing.
tikay
Rising Star
Rising Star

Dan Brown is okay...

Post by tikay »

His writing is pretty good but in no way is it better than so many others that I consider great....I liked the Da Vinci Code but it is not that amusing when you know about the subject already...still it gave me a bit more on the topic to consider and do an investigation on so...it was good.
I prefer Tom Robbins anyday. Try his book Skinny Legs and All for information on religious things with some humour involvement, and more of the fleshy-ness ... the sexi-ness of real life!
the movie in your mind I totally agree on that Da Vinci code was more like it was written for a movie/ screenplay than for an audience of readers...is that what you were saying...( if so then I agree).
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

I am about to finish the book for the second time. I just love that book. I want to get the illustrated edition now.

I can't wait for the movie to be released! It's going to be releaded on May 19th (my birthday! :D what a present!!!!). I already saw the preview on the internet. At first I couldn't imagine Langdon played by Tom Hanks but now that I've seen him I think he totally fits the role!
Elba
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Elba »

Hanks is excellent and I´m sure he is perfect for this movie.
I´m chatolic too -a open mind chatolic or as my father say with my own style to be chatolic- and I´m not offended.
Sometimes I ask myself Am I really chatoluc???? :lol:
tikay
Rising Star
Rising Star

The Da Vinci code...is it real question.

Post by tikay »

On the question of The da Vinci code....if it is real. That is all in how you look at it. I believe the only things that are not real about the book are the characters themselves and the some of the places where they say that things in the book were hidden.
The Iluminatti and the rest are absolutely true...are you kidding me. this is a novel based on truths that everyone who has studied history in any depth knows...the Masons and those lodges are all based on these truths. There is only one explanation for the way that everyone seems to be so in the dark about this subject...you were not interested before in these things. I have read a few other books and had many talks on this subject before the book was written. The book is not entirely real...in the way you are asking...the story is totally in line with actual truth. Believe me I have studied it.
Secret societies of this sort are secret so that you and I will not know these truths.
Just like it is said in the book It is time for these things to be told. Exactly at this time ....entering the age of Aquarius...leaving the age of Pices ....he wrote the book because it is time for all to know these kind of truths even if he did it in novel form. Maybe he still wanted to keep his life.
It is a dangerous subject, in a way, just like it is shown in the Fictional book based on reality.
This is my thought on it anyway.
I am sad more people dont know these things. I have looked into them for a long time. Must be people are just becoming interested?
There are so many books on this subject now.
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: The Da Vinci code...is it real question.

Post by Dixie »

tikay wrote:On the question of The da Vinci code....if it is real. That is all in how you look at it. I believe the only things that are not real about the book are the characters themselves and the some of the places where they say that things in the book were hidden.
The Iluminatti and the rest are absolutely true...are you kidding me. this is a novel based on truths that everyone who has studied history in any depth knows...the Masons and those lodges are all based on these truths. There is only one explanation for the way that everyone seems to be so in the dark about this subject...you were not interested before in these things. I have read a few other books and had many talks on this subject before the book was written. The book is not entirely real...in the way you are asking...the story is totally in line with actual truth. Believe me I have studied it.
Secret societies of this sort are secret so that you and I will not know these truths.
Just like it is said in the book It is time for these things to be told. Exactly at this time ....entering the age of Aquarius...leaving the age of Pices ....he wrote the book because it is time for all to know these kind of truths even if he did it in novel form. Maybe he still wanted to keep his life.
It is a dangerous subject, in a way, just like it is shown in the Fictional book based on reality.
This is my thought on it anyway.
I am sad more people dont know these things. I have looked into them for a long time. Must be people are just becoming interested?
There are so many books on this subject now.
You're so right, Tikay. That stuff has been known by many people for years, and now that Brown published the book and millions of people read it, we became interested in the subject. I showed a copy of Leonardo's The Last Supper to my boyfriend the other day, and I said to him: "Look closely. Can you find a woman in the drawing?" And he said: "Of course. There she is", pointing at Mary Magdalene. I asked, "How did you know that?" And he said: "First, it's obvious it's a woman, just look at her. And second, everybody knows that, smartie!" :shock: I just discovered I can be really ignorant sometimes.
tikay
Rising Star
Rising Star

reply to Dixie

Post by tikay »

Hi Dixie...we are all ignorant about differant things . I am just very interested in these kinds of subjects. it started with reading Autobiography of a Yogi at fifteen years, and have not stopped studying these things from that time. it is about Indian Holy men and the incredible things they could do....as well as the journeys of Paramahansa Yogananda....these things are my favorite subjects that is all....the esoteric subjects so interesting. (Religious and otherwise).
I wanted to say thanks because i have been meaning to look at that picture with new eyes since reading the da vinci code...a few months ago. I put it off for a long time because I do not like thrillers....it was called a thriller? Who knows why it is not all that....thrilling or scary which i then expected.
Any way...now I will finally go look it up...that painting the Last Supper.
Thanks again Dixie!
your pal T.K.
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: reply to Dixie

Post by Dixie »

I am looking at things differently too... you know... The other day I was chatting with my bf on msn and he sent one of those animations... It was a heart prosecuted by a sword... and I said "That is it... The chalice and the blade... feminine and masculine". He thought I was nuts :D
tikay
Rising Star
Rising Star

hey

Post by tikay »

the more we allow ourselves to be completely honest...with some tact of course, the better...i dont care how nuts I appear to be because I have found out what i am made of by finally becoming a genuine person... coming from a place where I used to act a whole lot...hiding my feelings. I like this better, being authentic...even if it costs me an image I used to try to keep. I am pretty nuts sometimes and sometimes I am just not ...but then so is everyone else so I guess that is life. :)
I like what you said about reading a symbol to something and the boyfriend just not getting it though...they rarely get my symbologies and I usually have to explain where I am coming from but they bother at least to listen...all ten of them HAHAHAH! :lol: (just kidding)
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

'Da Vinci Code' Author Accused in London

Wow, I wonder who will win the case.... :shock:
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

(...)the scheduled May 19 release of "The Da Vinci Code" film starring Tom Hanks and Ian McKellan could be threatened.

Noooooooooooooo!!!! :cry: That's going to be my birthday present... The movie... hope everything turns out well for Brown. I never thought he borrowed the information illegally.

"Brown copied from 'The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail'

I haven't read The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail yet (but I intend to) but I am not sure Brown "copied" from there. He just took some information and wrote a novel. I really don't see what the fuss is all about (although, I repeat, I can't make judgements since I haven't read the other book) but Brown's a novel and the other one's an essay about the research of its authors.

Mmmmmmm. Maybe they are jealous their book wasn't a best-seller :?
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

I've watched a documentary about the DaVinci code, and they did mention something about the holy blood and the holy grail. That book came way before the da vinci code. That's why they said he's stealing their work. I'll check for this info again.
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

LennyeTran wrote:I've watched a documentary about the DaVinci code, and they did mention something about the holy blood and the holy grail. That book came way before the da vinci code. That's why they said he's stealing their work. I'll check for this info again.
I downloaded a documentary about it not long ago. The authors of The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail talked about their book and The Da Vinci Code, and other authors as well. They didn't seem very happy with Brown's novel. I remember one of them talking about the postures of Christ and Mary Magdalene in Da Vinci's "The Last Supper" and saying something like "...which we first pointed out, not Mr. Brown".

I don't see what the fuss is all about anyway. I'm going to get The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail so I can figure out. I never thought both books could be compared. The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail is the result of an exhaustive research, whereas Brown's just a fictional novel based on that info.

I guess they also want their share of the cake :twisted:
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Dixie wrote: I don't see what the fuss is all about anyway. I'm going to get The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail so I can figure out. I never thought both books could be compared. The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail is the result of an exhaustive research, whereas Brown's just a fictional novel based on that info.

That book is boooooring. No one cared to read it. I bet not many knew about it if it's not related to the Da Vinci code. :roll:
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Blood,_Holy_Grail

But most recently, author Dan Brown in his bestseller The Da Vinci Code (2003), makes reference to this book, also liberally using most of the above claims as key plot elements; indeed, Baigent and Leigh are suing Brown's publisher, Random House, for plagiarism, on the grounds that his book makes extensive use of their research and that one of the characters is named Leigh, has a surname (Teabing) which is an anagram of Baigent, and has a physical description strongly resembling Henry Lincoln. In the book Brown also mentions Holy Blood, Holy Grail as an acclaimed international bestseller (chapter 60) and claims it as the major contributor to his hypothesis. (copied from the link above)

:lol: :lol: I wonder if that part is serious.
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

LennyeTran wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Blood,_Holy_Grail

But most recently, author Dan Brown in his bestseller The Da Vinci Code (2003), makes reference to this book, also liberally using most of the above claims as key plot elements; indeed, Baigent and Leigh are suing Brown's publisher, Random House, for plagiarism, on the grounds that his book makes extensive use of their research and that one of the characters is named Leigh, has a surname (Teabing) which is an anagram of Baigent, and has a physical description strongly resembling Henry Lincoln. In the book Brown also mentions Holy Blood, Holy Grail as an acclaimed international bestseller (chapter 60) and claims it as the major contributor to his hypothesis. (copied from the link above)

:lol: :lol: I wonder if that part is serious.
There is a Leigh Teabing in the novel, who by the way plays a crucial role :D

I still think they just want money.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

It's funny to me how they use those as their evidence.
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

LennyeTran wrote:It's funny to me how they use those as their evidence.
LOL To me they do not have any evidence. They just want their share of the delicious cake Dan is tasting :D

I can't wait to see the movie!!
tikay
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by tikay »

Hi girls!
I have been trying to keep my opinion to myself because I basically dissagree with you but I didn't feel a need to say so...yet. I have to say something now.
Considering that the book authors of "Holy Blood, Holy Grail" have a perfect right to file suit on the grounds of plagerism, if their tome has been in fact plagerized...I have to go with these people.
I just put my self in the position of both parties.
If I have a future book including the copyright rights and responsibliities....I hope to have the same right to sue in such a case. If they have been ripped off they have rights like everyone else. I think that if they are envious of the fortune and fame is of no consequence....it does not even matter. They are saying he ripped them off in some ways...if this is so he should have to pay. If it is found to be untrue then he has the exact same rights to file a suit against them for damages to recover any lost fees and downtime (lost wages) for court appearances... lawyers fees and the like. at least he has the money to fight them if he is right. He can afford a decent lawyer unlike some of us....and I believe, that
Dan Brown did not have to use any particular names sothat he may have been in effect giving them and their publishers the finger, so to speak....if so he may have stuck it to himself, doing the book as he did insted of leaving out any connections to them without their prior permission. Thus... he has just made a grave mistake, and is being brought to justice....under copyright laws...because he did not honor the same protection he has on his own book....in my opinion. He is playing a game he should lose if he does not respect the work of other writers. That deserves to be combated.
If he is going to write he should follow the rules like anyone else. He may have asked for permission and they refused then he went ahead and did it anyway...we dont have all the details.

Well....I had to just say that under the first amendmant we have a right to free speech but under the copyright infringment laws we do not have a right to benefit (financially) from other persons works without permission.
Last point is there are about a hundred books (at the very least) about the illuminatti/ white brotherhood/ and secret societies...so they may have a hard time proving that he plagerized from their book and not someone elses so it must be very close....or exact even I think. and the anagram of the name ...well that may be impossible to prove...that there is any connection other than pure coincidence, unless hthese forces (people) were already engaged in some sort of battle or rivalry... so they will probably lose out there.

It is basically political ....something they need to fight out in court...proving thier case or losing and may the best man win.
Ethics are not something to smirk about though. If Dan B. did something un-ethical...let him pay for it I say.
That does not mean I cant appreciate his book or that he writes fairly well...just that he needs to pay the consequences for his mistakes, like everyone else.
Too bad sometimes money takes precidence over justice systems in this country...I am sick of people who have money doing anything they like and getting away with it. I think of Michael Jackson who most probably molested little boys (and got off) in more ways than one...and of OJ Simpson...who probably KILLED two people and did not have to serve time....much harsher examples but I think the person who disregards the rights of his neighbor and laughs at the laws meant to protect them...should be made to pay. Otherwise pure chaos might ensue...
anyway...my opinion.
I still liked Dan's book...but it was sort of redundant for me because I knew most of what he wrote about already.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

I agree with your post, but one thing is, didn't Dan have a list of reference where he got the source from? I mean, he wasn't that careless, was he? :?
tikay
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by tikay »

:lol: Can you tell I finished my paralegal classes? Hahah-haah!
so happy that, that is over! I am doing internship at Van Nuys Couthouse....putting motions and lawsuits into files... for the last couple o days....first day I put four files...papers, in the wrong year! The wrong files entirely!
OMG I couldn't figure out how to fix the problem at first because i was so stressed out about what I had possibly done...then I couldn't decide if I should go tell or not....I could not at first because I was freaking out about it. I needed to come up with a remedy first...so I told first thing next morning and asked to remedy the situation....going through every file and finding the lost documents to put them in the right file number - the right year of the case, number.
Imagine if I had said oh well let them worry about it....what would have happened to those peoples cases?
Maybe the files would have been discovered in time to be put right by the persons whos case came up first and maybe not.
I did not want to be responsible for someones case being blown because I was not trained as to the importance of not making on mistake in filing/ because I was careless for five minutes. :roll:
I remembered the 7000's was where I had made the mistake and went through all 1000 files in a few hours. 2003 files were returned to thier proper spot and 2006 was back to normal, :oops: within a couple of hours....no sweat...except for all my stress for about six hours til I figured out what to do and how to do it. :?
peace everybody!
:wink: SO! do good works, & be a good person, and good things will come to you....even if it takes a very long time! (Llike in my case!) :P

My personal (made-up) quote of the day.
I may be a head case, but, at least my head is in a good place!
tikay
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by tikay »

A list of referance is no good without permission. All plagerism is...is not having gotten the proper authority from other authors when you use their wording. If he had asked for permission and they refused to give it this may be the problem.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

tikay wrote:A list of referance is no good without permission. All plagerism is...is not having gotten the proper authority from other authors when you use their wording. If he had asked for permission and they refused to give it this may be the problem.
This is what I'm thinking, too. I don't think he wouldn't ask for their permission to use their work as a reference for his book. I mean, the guy should know better since he's a writer. And the wikipedia article said,

"In the book Brown also mentions Holy Blood, Holy Grail as an acclaimed international bestseller (chapter 60) and claims it as the major contributor to his hypothesis."

He did mention them and gave out the source. I wonder they're going for this case because their permission to him was verbal; therefore, they could say he never actually asked them for their permission? :? :?
tikay
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by tikay »

Dixie wrote:
LennyeTran wrote:I've watched a documentary about the DaVinci code, and they did mention something about the holy blood and the holy grail. That book came way before the da vinci code. That's why they said he's stealing their work. I'll check for this info again.
I downloaded a documentary about it not long ago. The authors of The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail talked about their book and The Da Vinci Code, and other authors as well. They didn't seem very happy with Brown's novel. I remember one of them talking about the postures of Christ and Mary Magdalene in Da Vinci's "The Last Supper" and saying something like "...which we first pointed out, not Mr. Brown".

I don't see what the fuss is all about anyway. I'm going to get The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail so I can figure out. I never thought both books could be compared. The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail is the result of an exhaustive research, whereas Brown's just a fictional novel based on that info.

They words above, that I have emboldened, is the part that I am commenting on...
I wanted to say something when I read it but I just laughed about them saying that, and moved on...but are they joking....FIRST? they did not first point out anything...the first book on the gnostic version of Christs life and teachings...and the first one on the secret societies will nearly be impossible to find for it happened so incredibly long, long ago...
Thr truths ~ these societies and the gnostics knew have been locked up a bit since Constantine called the mithric cults and the gnostics heretics and ostrasized them in effect causing these religions to go underground...becoming secret.
Still these things have been written about since writing began, the fact they say they are exposing this as if they are the first is ridiculous...the first was so long ago it cannot be known, who was first to write about Jesus and Mary magdaline....about thier possible love affair and marriage and such. The very fact that the teachings were not allowed to be discussed for fear of even death makes it impossible to know for sure what happened....until more inner work is done on the part of humans.
The average person seems to want to gather all their info from the experts...not relying on their own spirit of truth or on guides in spirit form to give them truths. We have a long way to go but I will suggest that sometimes, one just knows when a truth is felt...one just seeks within...and says that sounds right and I somehow KNOW that some things are just truth. In the same way I sometimes feel and know someone is lying...but I cant prove it.

Lastly about them claiming they were the first with the knowledge....well all I can say is SURE YOU WERE...in the way you tell something to a baby.
geez where did they get all their research done ...by studying which texts....people always seem to want credit for knowledge that is often so very....collective actually, for lack of a better word for it. They studied something to come up with the words strung across their pages did they not?
Now being first to tell becomes less important. Is it the truth to me? I believe in all truths...I believe that Jesus may have been wed to Mary in his heart and soul which to me is all that matters....if he had a sexual relationship with a woman...this would be a good way to experience the full nature of being human and a man of the earth ...right? I believe that he came here for this experience no? I would try to discover all facets for better comprehension if I were the man Jesus, including all things of which my brother partook , which includes a facet known as sexuality. Anyway sex was only made a sin by people trying to vie for power over the masses. The Bible has some literal truths and then it has some embellishments meant to suit a cxertain purpose.
Ask any theologian what they think...if they have studied even as I have they will tell you it is a possibility that Jesus was WITH Mary in a variety of devine ways. :wink:

LOVE to you all! :)
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

"Michael Baigent and Richard Leigh, authors of "The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail," sued Random House, which also published their book. Random House denies the claim.

Baigent and Leigh claim Brown appropriated their ideas and themes in writing his book, which has sold more than 25 million copies worldwide since its 2003 publication. "

This is from the Yahoo news link that I copied and pasted in page two. So, to me Brown had their permission to use their book as a source. Therefore, their lawyer said,

"Jonathan Rayner James, a lawyer for Baigent and Leigh, said the case did not relate to the theft of specific parts of text but to the appropriation of themes and ideas.

"Brown copied from 'The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail' and therefore the publication of the resulting novel is an infringement of my clients' copyright," he told the court. "

They're suing him for extending their, as others called, pseudohistory idea about Jesus.
tikay
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by tikay »

LennyeTran wrote:
tikay wrote:A list of referance is no good without permission. All plagerism is...is not having gotten the proper authority from other authors when you use their wording. If he had asked for permission and they refused to give it this may be the problem.
This is what I'm thinking, too. I don't think he wouldn't ask for their permission to use their work as a reference for his book. I mean, the guy should know better since he's a writer. And the wikipedia article said,

"In the book Brown also mentions Holy Blood, Holy Grail as an acclaimed international bestseller (chapter 60) and claims it as the major contributor to his hypothesis."

He did mention them and gave out the source. I wonder they're going for this case because their permission to him was verbal; therefore, they could say he never actually asked them for their permission? :? :?

The very fact that the book is mentioned may be the problem with the publishers or authors of Holy Blood Holy Grail...if he did not have permission to use this even...in his referance to them he is making a mistake....unless they gave him the go ahead.

If they gave him the okay but are trying to sue now that would make them very wary~ to file a suit in this case, because they would be in comtempt of court if they are found out, and even verbal permission is a basic contract.
If he can prove a verbal agreement was made....well nearly impossible unless there were witnesses present...anyway it is not likely that they would sue in the case he had permission in any form. They would lose if there was any witness on either side saying they heard the plaintiff give permission... because of the subpheona process.
(Perhaps they would win if they had witnesses who would lie for them in court.)
I believe he has done certain things without using the proper channels but I could be wrong too.
Last edited by tikay on Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tikay
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by tikay »

LennyeTran wrote:"Michael Baigent and Richard Leigh, authors of "The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail," sued Random House, which also published their book. Random House denies the claim.

Baigent and Leigh claim Brown appropriated their ideas and themes in writing his book, which has sold more than 25 million copies worldwide since its 2003 publication. "

This is from the Yahoo news link that I copied and pasted in page two. So, to me Brown had their permission to use their book as a source. Therefore, their lawyer said,

"Jonathan Rayner James, a lawyer for Baigent and Leigh, said the case did not relate to the theft of specific parts of text but to the appropriation of themes and ideas."Brown copied from 'The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail' and therefore the publication of the resulting novel is an infringement of my clients' copyright," he told the court. "

They're suing him for extending their, as others called, pseudohistory idea about Jesus.

Okay now we are getting somewhere!
This is utterly ridiculous! They cant sue for such a thing because they have no monopoly on thoughts.... and on all other histories of such thoughts....the books they studied to get their notions about this? The so called "pseudo" history is not theirs alone...it belongs to every living being, they merely wrote a book on the subject after many had already been written on such things....just look up the subject in amazon.com and you will be led to hundreds of books... for crying out loud! Are they trying to say no one ever thought of the theory before. GOODNESS....they are the fools then. Let them waste their time in court because Dan will just win, and be assured he will win if this is why they are suing. They would have to prove the impossible that no one even considered these things, before their book was written....fat chance there.