What is the latest book you have read recently?

Talk about books and writers here.

Moderator: EC

Lalee
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Lalee »

Dixie wrote: By "green" I mean green :D if you notice, everything in the movie is green: the house, the characters' outfits, the walls... Just watch it again! :D
Hmm...I guess I'll have to see it again. It's been a long time since I watched that movie that's why I can't remember it.

When was the last time you saw it?
Goronman

Post by Goronman »

Hi everybody :!:
The latest book I've read is called "De vita beata" (<=> "Happy life" :? ) by Sénèque, who was a roman philosopher. It is quite astounding to read a book who was written almost 2000 years old ago ! (and it is not so old-fashioned :) ) In this work, he tries to tell us how to lead an happy and quiet life.
Has anybody read a book written by Sénèque ? I advise you this author, who's quite understandable...

Bye
Goronman
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Lalee wrote: When was the last time you saw it?
I don't know, it was the last time that was showed on Spanish TV... months ago.
Tankette

Post by Tankette »

in process of "Strata" by Terry Pratchett.
the last finished was "The name of the Rose" (U.Eco).
trinity19

Post by trinity19 »

the last book i've read is 1984 by george orwell and i have to say that, although the story didn't engage me a lot in some moments, it's very interesting because of the world that presents. it's curious how different we are in some things and how similar in others, like the influence of the media. the topics of mind manipulation, manipulation through language, etc. were very interesting too.
have someone read this kind of books? do you prefer others like farenheit or brave new world?

goronman, i think i'm gonna study sénèque next year so i hope i will be able to read something written by him :)
Goronman

Post by Goronman »

trinity19 wrote:the last book i've read is 1984 by george orwell

I've read it too, not a long time ago ! :P Although it's science-fiction, it's quite funny to see how our modern world looks like, or rather begins to look like to Orwell's vision : the importance of media, disinformation, egoism, bachelorhood ( :cry: ) and also mass globalisation. Quite frightening...
I advise you, by George Orwell, Animal Farm (If you have not read it yet :wink: ). It's a deep critic or the USSR regim and Stalin's dictatory...

Good luck with stoics :wink:
BYE
Goronman

P:S Where do you come from Trinity19 ? ( :arrow: I'm just curious :mrgreen: )
trinity19

Post by trinity19 »

yeah, you're not the first one that advises me "animal farm" so i think i'm going to pick it up at the library :D i saw things that reminded me to the USSR regim in "1984" too.
i'm from barcelona. i haven't updated my profile yet, i'll do it now :wink:
quicksilver
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by quicksilver »

My hobby is also books, but now i dont have much time to read it , cos the kind i like is fiction books,they are almost very long .
Now im reading Gone with the wind , an old fiction .
but i think it is very famous, so we should read it.
anyone read Anna Karenina by Lev Tonstoil?
martazzz

Post by martazzz »

The lastest book i've read is The Da vinci Code and Angels and Demons... Is there anyone has read them? I think they're so beautiful!! :lol:
illusion
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by illusion »

right now I am reading ''Crime and Punishment'' by a Russian writer called Dostoyevski..
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

illusion wrote:right now I am reading ''Crime and Punishment'' by a Russian writer called Dostoyevski..
That book is very popular here. But I must say I haven't read it.
Francuzzo

Post by Francuzzo »

I have read a Micheal Crichton book the book's name was Congo
illusion
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by illusion »

Dixie wrote:
illusion wrote:right now I am reading ''Crime and Punishment'' by a Russian writer called Dostoyevski..
That book is very popular here. But I must say I haven't read it.
I think you should give it a try, Dixie. It's a reflective story about a guy that murders two innocent women... I find it quite strange as I don't read many of books concering those issues but this one seems really good.
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

illusion wrote:I think you should give it a try, Dixie. It's a reflective story about a guy that murders two innocent women... I find it quite strange as I don't read many of books concering those issues but this one seems really good.
Thank you! I will try to look it up.
Marzieh

Post by Marzieh »

The latest book I read was Al-quimista by Pauolo Coelho. It was great and I strongly recommend it to every one.I also hope to read Harry Potter and Half-blooded Prince soon! :!:
serenella
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by serenella »

Marzieh wrote:The latest book I read was Al-quimista by Pauolo Coelho.
Have you read the last book by Paulo Coelho 'The Zahir'?
It's one of the latest books I read and I think it's the best one among all those written by him.
illusion
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by illusion »

serenella wrote:
Marzieh wrote:The latest book I read was Al-quimista by Pauolo Coelho.
Have you read the last book by Paulo Coelho 'The Zahir'?
It's one of the latest books I read and I think it's the best one among all those written by him.
Oh I read the Zahir!!! I even made a post about it earlier but no one never replied so I guess not many people apart from us read it. But to be honest it's not my favourite Coehlo's book. I love the one ''Demon and Miss Prym'' or something like that...
pob
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by pob »

illusion wrote: I love the one ''Demon and Miss Prym'' or something like that...
What makes you love that book? It was so boring for me... I can't understand your love :)

I have read several books by Paulo Cohelo and I don't find them very interesting. I don't think he deserves the success he has achieved in selling his books.
On the other hand, I find his work in non-literature based works very interesting. :wink:
pob
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by pob »

I bought "Oxford Dictionary of Philosophy" in Moscow... I can't read Russian books yet, but I bought some children books in Russian :D

So that's the book I'm reading now. A dictionary... but it's quite interesting, and I learn an average of 10 words a page.
Pinay

Post by Pinay »

I've just read "Thick Face, Black Heart". It explains a bit about how to apply Chinese Philisophy to our daily struggles with Life.
I appreciate the explanation about 'allowing your dharma to unfold...' Before reading this book, I was such a driven personality. I had to set out the plans, map out the strategy, and prepare for the next battle. That is how I viewed life... and my career. Now, I simply plant the seeds and watch them unfurl their leaves. I allow my dharma to reveal itself to me. But I'm still new to this way of thinking so I have to consciously tell myself to pause, walk or meander for a while. Meandering can be pleasant (I'm learning), especially when I'm having a cup of good coffee and puffing on my slim capri cigarette from the small balcony of my little house.
The eternal student. There is much to learn, discover and talk about.
Pinay

Post by Pinay »

pob wrote:
illusion wrote: I love the one ''Demon and Miss Prym'' or something like that...
What makes you love that book? It was so boring for me... I can't understand your love :)

I have read several books by Paulo Cohelo and I don't find them very interesting. I don't think he deserves the success he has achieved in selling his books.
On the other hand, I find his work in non-literature based works very interesting. :wink:
I love the way he uses simplicity with words to illustrate the most profound truths in life. Take for example the "crystal shop owner' who dreams of going on a pilgrimage to Mecca but remains in his store from year to year. This from his cult classic "The Alchemist". Maybe you have to read Coelho again and deeply...this time.
pob
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by pob »

Pinay wrote: I love the way he uses simplicity with words to illustrate the most profound truths in life. Take for example the "crystal shop owner' who dreams of going on a pilgrimage to Mecca but remains in his store from year to year. This from his cult classic "The Alchemist". Maybe you have to read Coelho again and deeply...this time.
The most profound truths in life are not so profound, they are very simple, like life is.
You people make them profound by closing your eyes to them and so you need to read books like those by Coelho to open your eyes. :evil:

There is no deeply reading of Coelho, there is no deeply reading of our lives, everything is simple, you only have to open your eyes.
Pinay

Post by Pinay »

If you don't like Coelho, then you don't. But "People like you, blah... blah...blah.." is a sweeping statement isn't it? And a bit hostile? This wasn't an attack on you at all. It was meant to inspire a pleasant discussion. Or debate.
pob
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by pob »

Pinay wrote:If you don't like Coelho, then you don't. But "People like you, blah... blah...blah.." is a sweeping statement isn't it? And a bit hostile? This wasn't an attack on you at all. It was meant to inspire a pleasant discussion. Or debate.
I like Coelho, I don't like his books.

I haven't said "People like you, ..." but something different... but, oh, I remember you are not good at reading, so you find something to be read in Coelho's books :)

It was no hostile, but this time I allow myself to be a bit sarcastic :wink: don't get angry please.

You want to debate? Tell me why do you see truths so profound... why? Truths are so simple...

On the other hand you can love the way he expresses ideas by writting, and I can agree with you or accept that opinion since I don't care very much about stiles...
but please, is there any deeply reading?? You can find deeply readings in other writters, but in Coelho... please!! :lol:

If Coelho is for deeply reading, then we need a skin-diver suit to read books like, for instance, "Those spoke Zaratustra".

But on the other hand I'm open to debate, if I can participate... it was long time ago that I read Coelho's books... :?
You can help me with my English by telling me my mistakes in a private message. Thanks :)
Pinay

Post by Pinay »

pob wrote:
Pinay wrote:If you don't like Coelho, then you don't. But "People like you, blah... blah...blah.." is a sweeping statement isn't it? And a bit hostile? This wasn't an attack on you at all. It was meant to inspire a pleasant discussion. Or debate.
I like Coelho, I don't like his books.

I haven't said "People like you, ..." but something different... but, oh, I remember you are not good at reading, so you find something to be read in Coelho's books :)

It was no hostile, but this time I allow myself to be a bit sarcastic :wink: don't get angry please.

You want to debate? Tell me why do you see truths so profound... why? Truths are so simple...

On the other hand you can love the way he expresses ideas by writting, and I can agree with you or accept that opinion since I don't care very much about stiles...
but please, is there any deeply reading?? You can find deeply readings in other writters, but in Coelho... please!! :lol:

If Coelho is for deeply reading, then we need a skin-diver suit to read books like, for instance, "Those spoke Zaratustra".

But on the other hand I'm open to debate, if I can participate... it was long time ago that I read Coelho's books... :?

I'm not angry. I don't think I know you well enough to be angry. But I accept that you don't like his style and that's the end of it I guess. And I agree that truths are profound in their simplicity.
Pinay

Post by Pinay »

I was thinking about this for some time and I couldn't resist throwing this in for you to think about. I'm Asian...and for every perception there is always a cultural imperative... so to an Asian nothing is ever so simple, even simplicity itself. Take for example how a westerner would view an introspective Asian... he would think "shy or timid", perhaps(simple isn't it?). But to an Asian there are different degrees of stillness. I'm explaining reading Coelho from the point of view of an Asian and not preaching to you. So fire your sarcastic missiles! Fuego!
Pinay

Post by Pinay »

I laughed out loud at this though, you are sarcastic...but funny, I have to admit.
pob
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by pob »

Pinay wrote: 1- I'm Asian...and for every perception there is always a cultural imperative...

2- Take for example how a westerner would view an introspective Asian...
1- I don't catch what do you mean, can you talk about that?

2- Nowadays, there is no so big difference between western people and Asian people... but still, that kind of topic is true many times.

I think a profound book could be for instance "Tao Te King". You can read it again and again, and reach different degrees of "understanding".
You can help me with my English by telling me my mistakes in a private message. Thanks :)
pob
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by pob »

Pinay wrote: 1- I don't think I know you well enough to be angry.

2- I agree that truths are profound in their simplicity.
1-Do you mean if you knew me well you could get angry? :)
I hope you don't, it's interesting talking with you. :wink:

2- And they are simple in their depth :) It's always a game of how you focus your mind...
...and I'd like to add that many people are not used to focus their minds (less in Asia than here) and so I meant about these people and not about "people like you" :wink:
illusion
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by illusion »

I think Coehlo is a controversial author because he has achieved success by writing stories about simple human feelings and that's so deep about him. not everyone can understand his books because they're not usual even if they speak about ordinary matters. I think I loved Demon and Miss Prym because of the topic of the book which was the constant fight between good and evil and in the end a human had to choose... The book had a huge impact on me and I am aware that many people find it boring whereas for me it's my favourite one by Paulo Coehlo. Anyway what I wanted to say is that I think he really deserves the whole popularity he has because there isn't any other novellist who writes so simply but so beautifully. it's a gift not everyone can have...
quicksilver
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by quicksilver »

I have just finished " Not a penny more , Not a penny less "
It is a very good novel , It is written by Jeffrey Acher.
U should read it , American novel.
Shazzam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Shazzam »

I have just finished "Let's Roll". This was a book written by the widow of one of the men involved in foiling the 9/11 flight that crashed in Pennslyvania. It was a very sad story. Her husband and other members of the flight were very brave people.
Pinay

Post by Pinay »

1- I don't catch what do you mean, can you talk about that?

2- Nowadays, there is no so big difference between western people and Asian people... but still, that kind of topic is true many times.

I think a profound book could be for instance "Tao Te King". You can read it again and again, and reach different degrees of "understanding".[/quote]

1. Well, here goes... get your missiles ready... In my humble opinion, an Asian would prioritize differently from the Westerner. A Westerner values 'drive', 'ambition', 'goals', 'achievements'... therefore he would prefer a book that gets to the bottom of things more quickly, without further ado. An Asian values 'balance' 'peace of mind' 'self-restraint' so he/she would prefer a book that meanders, something more introspective, something more quiet. Coelho would be a good read to an Asian because of the simple yet profound way he opens one's eyes to how we choose to live our lives. We would find it profound because being 'Asian" isn't simple at all. There are many layers to being Asian and the simple act of unveiling is a complicated to someone like me.

2. Come to Asia. Maybe you'll change your mind. Stay for a longer time until you are immersed. Then talk to me about how similar we are... or not.
Pinay

Post by Pinay »

[1-Do you mean if you knew me well you could get angry? :)
I hope you don't, it's interesting talking with you. :wink:

1. If you can be sarcastic on the net with your written words, and there is no mistaking the sarcasm and mockery in your writing tone. How much more in person?! If we were having coffee and arguing about Coelho at a coffee shop...Oh! We would be arguing for sure...but we wouldn't kill each other...we'd live to argue another day. Ha ha
Jail4bird

Post by Jail4bird »

I've just read up to the end "The Canterbury Tales" by Chaucer. Unfortunately, not in the original...A starnge one thing, but rather attractive...
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Jail4bird wrote:I've just read up to the end "The Canterbury Tales" by Chaucer. Unfortunately, not in the original...A starnge one thing, but rather attractive...
A classic! I'd like to read it too. It's a must for any Philologist... Yeah, again... shame on me :roll: I know what topics the book deals with, when and by whom it was written, what it means... But haven't read it... :evil:
Jail4bird

Post by Jail4bird »

Dixie wrote: A classic! I'd like to read it too. It's a must for any Philologist... Yeah, again... shame on me :roll: I know what topics the book deals with, when and by whom it was written, what it means... But haven't read it... :evil:
Being a philologist myself i can agree, it's a must)) you should read)) It's worth...especailly in Old English :D
quicksilver
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by quicksilver »

I have just finished " Tradowata" it is from Poland . I dont know how to call it in English .
It is really nice .
danielle626

Post by danielle626 »

Over the summer I read Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. Its a great book, well at least in my opinion. Its about a woman name Jane Eyre who had a missable childhood, but she strived and became a governess. Eventually she fell in love with Mr. Rochester her boss, who loved her too. There was a problem between them and so Jane left Mr. Rochester. She became poor again, but this book has a good ending so I encourage anyone to read it. It is an English literature, I think it would be great for anyone who likes romantic stories. This is my first time posting anything so Hi Everyone.
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

danielle626 wrote:Over the summer I read Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. Its a great book, well at least in my opinion. Its about a woman name Jane Eyre who had a missable childhood, but she strived and became a governess. Eventually she fell in love with Mr. Rochester her boss, who loved her too. There was a problem between them and so Jane left Mr. Rochester. She became poor again, but this book has a good ending so I encourage anyone to read it. It is an English literature, I think it would be great for anyone who likes romantic stories. This is my first time posting anything so Hi Everyone.
I read it in college, really a classic. We studied its symbolism deeply and every now and then the professors referred to it. A jewel.

By the way, welcome Danielle26 ;)
quicksilver
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by quicksilver »

I also like Jane Eyre.
A romantic story with a happy ending.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Lalee wrote:Today I started reading another book written by Charles Dickens. It's going smoothly so far. :)
His Oliver Twist and A Christmas Carol are the best.
Rui
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Rui »

the last book that i have read was "Burned Alive", a very nice book about a real story, it's about the life of a women that survive to an attempt of murder by her brother in law, just because she was pregnant before the wedding, she tells wall the story of her life, what it was a shock to me to know that even today there's people living that way... a very nice book in my opinion,

Now i'm trying to start reading the "The Davinci Code" but it has been difficult because i don't have to much time... 8)
TearHere
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by TearHere »

i have finished lion's game by nelson deMille.i just found that book in my sister's room and started reading it..a suspense kinda thing..not really my type but found it to be very interesting and thrilling..
Rui wrote: Now i'm trying to start reading the "The Davinci Code" but it has been difficult because i don't have to much time... 8)
this controversial book eh?... haven't read it yet.. if i have time.i will.my friends told me that once you read it, your faith is really tested.. although it is a fictional book..<i'm basing on word of mouth here.. :roll: > though i should say this one's interesting.... 8)
When all else fails..don't stop.
Rui
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Rui »

well, i'm in the beginning of the book but it seems to be very interesting, and i need time because this one and the last that i had talked about were in english versions, so i need more time to read and underline some words that i can't understand.... but the first impression that i have of the book that i really never knew is the wealth of "Opus Day" and how powerful they are, it's something that i never had thought, but this it would be a very long story, so it's better go on with the book's that we have read :lol:
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

If you have the chance to read it, do it! I can't wait to read it again.
Pixie

Post by Pixie »

Just ended off with reading " Nous les Dieux " by Bernard Werber. It mostly talks about stuff that gods carry out. According to this book, Gods look after us and help us to reach the highest technology. They are about 144 gods and they have to prove how tactful they are (They put exercices into practice) until there's only one God alife, it's fairly interresting.
TearHere
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by TearHere »

i've just read two suspence thrillers.. one is Moment of truth by lisa scottoline, a thrilling story.. it actually has law facts and stuff..about a lawyer who frames hinself for a murder that he didn't do..hires a not-so-good lawyer to defend him.. it has a lot of twists..like it.. and the other one is harvest by tess gerritsen.. i also like this one, it's a medical thriller.. has medical facts and stuff.. but i kind of hated the ending.. but enjoyed the read.. :wink:
When all else fails..don't stop.
trinity19

Post by trinity19 »

hi! i've just finished "i'm charlotte simmons" by tom wolfe and i really enjoyed it. it really reflects the lifestyle in some university campus, a topic that, as a student, i'm interested in. i also admire the variety of vocabulary that tom wolfe is allowed to use (from the students slang to academic language) and he makes you develop a strong sympathy towards the main character. well, in some moments he extends too much some stories but anyway i loved the book :)
illusion
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by illusion »

i'm about to start ''Master and Margarita'' (correct me if I misspelled the title);p