Do you like alcahol?

This forum combines the former Food & Drink and Health & Fitness forums. Post your ideas here!

Moderator: EC

hishgee

Do you like alcahol?

Post by hishgee »

some people like drink. some people use little bit alcahol after meal. That is true or wrong. What do you think?
shokin
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by shokin »

During a meal, une copa de vino is not bad. A red wine.

Drinking for fun for becoming soul is not good at all.

If you drink, it must have a social fonction.

But you are never forced to drink alcohol or gazeous water or coca cola.

Drink that what comes from where you live.

Shokin
Nous sommes libres. Wir sind frei. We are free. Somos libres. Siamo liberi.
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Generally, I don't.
Butler
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Butler »

Its well known that a glass of wine, especially red can prevent food poisoning. Obviously in moderation. I like a glass of wine with dinner sometimes and there is nothing nicer than a nice cold beer on a very hot day.
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Butler wrote:Its well known that a glass of wine, especially red can prevent food poisoning.
:shock: :shock:
shokin
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by shokin »

Is red wine good for you?
By: Dr Thomas Stuttaford
Date: May 2005

At a recent meeting of the Coronary Artery Disease Research Association1 a distinguished cardiologist talked to the mainly lay audience on the benefits of red wine. Fashions in medicine change. Doctors of my father's generation prescribed alcoholic drinks for many different health problems and in doing so were following the example set by their predecessors since the days of Hippocrates and the Romans.

Fifty years ago all the advantages of alcohol were forgotten and the opinion of the medical profession became as strict as those of a non-conformist Victorian minister. Many patients, especially those at risk of heart disease, must have suffered. When in the early 1980s I talked on the radio about the advantages of alcohol, another chat show programme host was so shocked that he referred to my comments - now accepted by the overwhelming majority of doctors and scientists - as being those of an irresponsible drunken Dr O' Booze. Only the bankruptcy of the radio station halted the libel action.

Alcohol is back in fashion as an aid to health. There is a difference. It is moderate drinking that saves lives, whereas excessive drinking may kill. Tee totallism may not allow someone to live a long, healthy, intellectually active life, which they could equally have enjoyed if they had had the odd glass or two, but unlike heavy drinking, it won't shorten it.

The inevitable questions asked by patients when told about the advantages of alcohol are what constitutes modest drinking it is important to choose the right drink and whether, if someone settles for wine, the type and colour are significant.

The amount that someone can drink with benefit varies. Women, who metabolise alcohol in a slightly different way from men, can in general drink a third less. The amount they can take without suffering ill effects is also related to their hormone balance and varies throughout their cycle. Although women become drunk more quickly and sober up more slowly than men, they have one important advantage: the benefits to a woman's heart and arteries, if she drinks modestly, is greater than it would have been had she been a man. In men who drink in moderation, the reduction in the coronary rate is about forty per cent; for women - according to recent research from New Zealand - it may be as much as sixty to eighty per cent.

Tall, muscular people are able to drink more without adverse effects than short, plump ones. Drinking with food and when sitting down are less likely to cause trouble than drinking while standing at the bar. It used to be thought that regular drinkers, who had never indulged to the point at which they suffered liver damage, could increase by a quarter their ability to hold drink without becoming drunk. Research conducted by the Medical Research Council has showed that this was an underestimate. The hardened, but not drunken, tippler could drink a third more than his or her teetotal friend without suffering ill effects. The maximum benefits for the average woman, if such a person exists, is achieved by taking one or two glasses of wine a day or its equivalent in other alcoholic drinks. For a man, the greatest overall advantage to health is attained for those who drink up to four small glasses of wine a day. These recommendations are made so that the mythical average person would be unlikely to suffer damage from alcohol and would receive maximum benefit. The benefit that would be reaped by the heart and arteries is achieved by taking rather more (but not excessive) amounts of alcohol, but the downside is that there is a greater risk to other aspects of health.

All alcohol in moderation has benefits for nearly everyone. There are a few exceptions, including those with epilepsy, schizophrenia, pancreatitis and liver disease. Pregnant women should drink only one or two small glasses of wine a week.

Red wine confers more advantages on health than white wine, beer or spirits but this doesn't imply that all drinks other than wine are not health-giving. The advantages of red wine over white, stems both from the way it is made (the skin in red wine plays a more important role in its preparation), where the grapes are grown - a warm but damp climate is necessary to nurture them so that the resulting red wine is cardio-protective - and by the process of manufacture. The healthiest wine is a comparatively new one that has been made by an old-fashioned process. Any attempt to hurry the development of a wine by prematurely ageing it removes some of its medicinal value.

The reason why red wine is better for the heart and arteries than white, or other alcoholic drinks, is related to the antioxidants it contains. These are dependent on the polyphenols and flavonoids in the wine. Some of their formation may vary according to the nature of the soil, but most are derived from the biological systems that are active on the grape's skin. If the grape skins are baked in a relentlessly hot sun every day, as happens in many parts of the New World where wines are made, the natural processes taking place on the skin are halted. Good wines from the doctor's viewpoint, but not necessarily the wine experts, are likely to have grown in warm, but moist areas. This allows a variety of fungi and moulds to flourish on the grape and thereby increase its polyphenol level. No one part of the world has a monopoly of these areas, but there are more with the right microclimates in France, Germany, parts of Italy and some of the valleys in China and Argentina than in sun-baked New World vineyards.

Alcohol in all forms makes blood less likely to clot readily and it increases the amount of heart-protecting good cholesterol and reduces the amount of the artery-damaging pernicious form of cholesterol. It improves the health of the lining of the arteries. The antioxidants in alcohol have many other advantages, but once the intake rises, the benefits conferred on the arteries are obscured by the damage to a person's general health by obesity, liver disease, pancreatitis and even dementia.
HealthSpan

Shokin
Nous sommes libres. Wir sind frei. We are free. Somos libres. Siamo liberi.
illusion
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by illusion »

i guess drinking is good but with some limit of course! i did overcrossed that limit some times and the consequences were a bit pitiful so I stick to as less as I can at parties. Because I don't drink without an occasion. When there's a will, there's a way so there's always an occasion to drink.. LoL however I hate beer. The taste of it make me frown somehow. If I was to drink something, it would probably be vodka.. polish vodka is the best! But champagne and wine are not bad either along with scottish whiskey :)
illusion
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by illusion »

yup my favourite is Lord Kingsley and Johnny Walker and of course Scotch!
Shazzam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Shazzam »

I love Champagne (and white wine) but i really love Champagne.

Also a nice red is nice occasionally :lol:

I used to drink spirits when I was younger; but now i'm more of a grape person :lol:
illusion
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by illusion »

hehe my friends drink spirits but i don't like it ;p
Shazzam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Shazzam »

illusion wrote:hehe my friends drink spirits but i don't like it ;p
Scotch is a spirit :?
mr_Love
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by mr_Love »

it is dangerous.....

i breakes you make your life nothin.....

take your brain off,,,,, ,

well. is Islam" my riligion" it is not allwoded.....

and we dont derink it..........
Shazzam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Shazzam »

mr_Love wrote:it is dangerous.....

i breakes you make your life nothin.....

take your brain off,,,,, ,

well. is Islam" my riligion" it is not allwoded.....

and we dont derink it..........
I totally understand you opinions; but what I would like to ask you is: Do you have a problem with other people that make a choice to have an occasional drink?

What i mean is; ok you don't drink because of your faith and that is very admirable, but do you look down at people that choose to have drink from time to time?

:idea:
mr_Love
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by mr_Love »

if that person is not Muslim ,,,,, we let him to drink but not in puplic pleace...

here, there are pars in big hotels......forgin who drinks go there..

But if that person is Muslim and he drinks yea we look down on him , because he is doing somthing not from our cultuer, some thing is not usuall here.....

i dont want to till you that no Muslims drink.. no, there are many muslims who drinks,,,,, who are weake in Islam....Islam is not in their hearts
Shazzam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Shazzam »

Poloten4ik wrote:i think speak about religion isnt good here! Religion is very serious thing. Every person choose his/her life and live like he wants.
if someone wanna talk about religion, lets create a new topic about it! i think it will be cool!
sory for off top
If you read my post I wasn't referring to religion :roll: I was asking if you look down at people that do chose to have a drink? :?
Hardi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Hardi »

I don't like drunkards... but temperate drink is acceptable, though I my self usually don't drink....

I knowed one man who had always irresistible wish to drive tractor when he had drunken. He can't stand, when he had drunked 2 or more beers. His tractor had no lights, but that doesn't mean nothing. Even in November when outside was so dark that you don't see to but your finger into your mouth...

Then once I got good idea, from mr Bean's film. I removed traktor's steering-wheel... and that's helped very well.. though he ha'd horse, but at least horse have brains.

Sorry for this poor english message. If you not understanded, then read it again. But never don't tell me, that you don't understand what the hell I saying.
DeadDream

Post by DeadDream »

its important in all be temperate. i like beer, martini with juice and cognac. but i drink alcohol very seldom.
Fight 4 your L!
r1lita

Post by r1lita »

I think everything is bad when it's too much ... :roll: .I drink some times just to try out.
trinity19

Post by trinity19 »

well, we've got to admit that alcohol in general doesn't have a very good taste and if it does is because of the non-alcoholic drinks that are mixed with it. i only like sangria (wine with fruits) and some mixes with vodka, but the effects of these alcohols are strong! :shock:
Pixie

Post by Pixie »

Nah, I don't much like drinking. I've realized it wreaks havoc on our body, feeling like 'away' from the reality, which is pretty stupid. Plus, drinking is an addiction and i don't wanna get involved in it.

It costs lots of money and afflicts pain to yourself, there's no reason for drinking
Rui
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Rui »

well, i don't think that drink alcohol every days it's good, but it is with no doubt a good thing to drink when you are with your friends, it's good because every body is happy and we can laugh about things that without alcohol wouldn't have any fun, but of course this has to be moderated and never pass the limits of reasonable,
awrang

oops

Post by awrang »

i hate alcohol it's prhibited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! don't drink it!
Awrang Zaib Taraki
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Hardi wrote:
I knowed one man who had always irresistible wish to drive tractor when he had drunken. He can't stand, when he had drunked 2 or more beers. His tractor had no lights, but that doesn't mean nothing. Even in November when outside was so dark that you don't see to but your finger into your mouth...

Then once I got good idea, from mr Bean's film. I removed traktor's steering-wheel... and that's helped very well.. though he ha'd horse, but at least horse have brains.
hahahaha good idea, Hardi! That must've been so fun for you! :D

Hardi wrote:
Sorry for this poor english message. If you not understanded, then read it again. But never don't tell me, that you don't understand what the hell I saying.
mmmmmmmmmm... alright, mister! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Pearl
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Pearl »

Of course, I don't drink
trinity19

Post by trinity19 »

Pixie wrote:Nah, I don't much like drinking. I've realized it wreaks havoc on our body, feeling like 'away' from the reality, which is pretty stupid.
i can understand that in some moments people want to feel "away" from the reality, whereas i know it's not the solution :roll:
helllokittty

Post by helllokittty »

NONONO!!
i think they are very bitter!!
sweethuman
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: Do you like alcahol?

Post by sweethuman »

I hate all of those
justin

Re: Do you like alcahol?

Post by justin »

I personally dislike the alcohol and wanna say that everyone should avoid this one drinking because this effects the lungs much and have bad impact on the health and body... Cause the dangerous one disease's and have lessen the life to much extent....