Smokers should pay high taxes for cigarettes.

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderators: Krisi, Vega, TalkingPoint

Post Reply
User avatar
TalkingPoint
EC Teacher
EC Teacher
Posts: 251
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 2:21 pm
Status: English Teacher
Location: England

Smokers should pay high taxes for cigarettes.

Post by TalkingPoint » Tue Aug 05, 2003 2:27 pm

Smokers should pay high taxes for cigarettes.

smoker: a person who smokes cigarettes
tax: a charge by the government added to the price of goods and services
Last edited by TalkingPoint on Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Yogi

Smoking

Post by Yogi » Wed Aug 27, 2003 12:01 pm

Hey everybody there, as we everybody know SMOKING is absolutely dangerous & passive smoking is even more dangerous. I think peoples who smoke should be fined because they destroy their as well as the persons health who is around him. As a fact somoking is one of the biggest source of Air-pollution, so the smoker should be taxed heavely

Firstly, my friend, your written English could do with a bit of a "brush-up".
Secondly, your dissertation on "smoking" reflects a well- droned, so called, medical opinion about a habit that has existed for centuries, but has been "picked-on" for about 20 years.
I'm 55 years old, have been smoking for 40 years of that (25 with a pipe), can still swim a kilometre without stopping, don't piss many people off with my "habit', and enjoy a communal smoke with my Doctor while we flyfish. Regards, Joe.
Last edited by Yogi on Mon Sep 22, 2003 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hthao

Smoking is harmful to our lungs

Post by hthao » Wed Aug 27, 2003 2:31 pm

Well, I think that all of smokers know about the harm of cigarette, but the numbers of smokers increase day by day.
It not only destroys himself but also harm others around, so we have no ways to control it except imposed heavy tax on smokers.

seewhome

disaster

Post by seewhome » Fri Sep 05, 2003 1:40 am

have u ever sat in an internet cafe next to a heavy smoker> or enev two?

It was loke a disaster, and that explains for my spelling mistakes right now.

Somebody help me!!!! I'm suffrogated
Breathless.

For god's sake, somebody buy me a mask

Guest

smoking

Post by Guest » Sat Sep 13, 2003 8:54 am

I disagree with this statment. Smokers shouldn't pay more tax in a democratic world. I think everybody has the right to think about themselves and they know how to coup with their lives.
Although I don't smoke but I know smoking is dangerous because most of deffirent drug addict like Heroen, Morfin ........ were first ciggarate smoker.

Sheff

Smoking and Taxes

Post by Sheff » Tue Sep 23, 2003 12:47 am

Whether smokers should pay higher taxes or not is a debatable question, especially for residents of the U.S. In Canada, there is no question - smokers DO PAY higher taxes. At one point the price went so high that people resorted to smuggling. Yes, first hand and second hand smoke is dangerous, but like alcohol, smoking is an addiction and can only be conquered with more education. Governments are caught in a 'double jeopardy' situation. End smoking - end revenues. I think if it's a money vs health issue, money will win.
I am 53 and have been smoking for 40 years. No problems yet and I know I should quit but I enjoy the occasional cigarette or draw of a pipe.
I also appreciate that some people dislike smoking so I ask if they mind or I will go outside, or move to an area where they will not be disturbed while I enjoy a simple pleasure. I don't justify my position and I don't like having someone else's opinions forced down my throat - to each his own.
In response to the Chinese lady, the men in this country smoke like they are eating candy. I've seen some men with three cigs going at once. And even if a person has one going, they try to give you two or three more. Also, they are very concerned about the price. To be a 'man', you must smoke the more expensive brands. My opinion is if smoking is going to kill me (it, or any number of a thousand things will, especially taxi drivers in China) I'd rather go by the least expensive route possible.
What I would like to see is a greater effort in getting more impaired drivers off the road. But that is another subject.

SK

Guest

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 26, 2003 1:36 pm

Yes i do, because i think very dificult to stay in a place where the people like to smoke,some smoker people is very respectble but there are other terrrible. :D

hana

Re: Smoking is harmful to our lungs

Post by hana » Tue Nov 11, 2003 4:54 am

hthao wrote:Well, I think that all of smokers know about the harm of cigarette, but the numbers of smokers increase day by day.
It not only destroys himself but also harm others around, so we have no ways to control it except imposed heavy tax on smokers.
I could not agree w/ u more. I am not a smoker, because I know how harmful a cigar is. My father is a heavy smoker. Although he knows that it is not good to smoke, he is not able to quit it- it is just like the habit. I cannot bear the smell of smoke. :mrgreen:

micle

it is hardly to stop smokeing

Post by micle » Wed Nov 19, 2003 10:05 am

hi :everyone
my father is a heavy smoker,so i think i have the power to give you the point,my father have smoked for about 30 years,he beared the life load form very young,so for him ,smoking was a way to release the heavy load,gradually he could not quit,now he have to smoke about 40 pipes everyday,although all of the memerbers in my famliy asked him to give up,but no way,for him giving up the smoking just like giving up the meal.

galina

Smokers Should Pay High Taxes for Cigarettes

Post by galina » Tue Dec 02, 2003 5:25 am

Hi, everyone.
I absolutely agree with the conception of high taxes for smokers.
The point is that there is not only threat for themselves, but also for people who are near them, espessially for pregnant women and teenagers. Youngsters usually don't aware danger from smoking completely. I think they only want to copiright behaviour their frends and want to show their ability to be resemble to older people.
I suppose that supplimentary taxes could be used for agitation and explanation the smoking hurm.

sunflower
New Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 4:25 pm
Contact:

Hello everybody

Post by sunflower » Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:58 pm

:D
Like many other people , I strongly disapprove of people who smoke very much . Everybody knows that smoking has a bad effect on our health . Many cancers have been caused by smoking . This demands us to have a law to cut down on the number of smokers . Everytime I have to sit a person smoking a lot , I feel annoyed a lot . So I think it's best for us to punish smokers for doing this . If so , maybe the number of smokers in the world can gradually reduce . Perhaps all of U also agree with me ?
Thank you and bi bi ! :wink
sunflower

User avatar
snezana
New Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2004 9:24 pm
Location: Estonia
Contact:

Post by snezana » Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:20 pm

hey everybody!i agree that smoking is widely spread problem, and there should be taken some urgent measures against it...As far as i'm concerned, i think, that charging people for smoking isn't a very nice and what's important democratical way of solving this problem...From my point of view, it is every adult person's own choise...but what's important is to control teenagers(cause a lot of people start smoking in school, being influenced by their classmates..), and charge them for smoking...and also it shouldn't be allowed to smoke in social places, as smokers do harm not only to themselves, but to all people in their surrounding also.

Mandy2
Silver Member
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2004 10:37 pm

Post by Mandy2 » Sat Mar 20, 2004 8:45 pm

I'd just like to add some information about the situation in Germany, just to let you know how things are handled in other countries, Germany in particular.
Smoking in Germany became more expense. From March 1 the price of a packet of cigarettes went up by 40 cents, as a new tax on tobacco went into effect and cigarette makers raised their profit margins. The tobacco tax will increase by 1.2 cents per cigarette on December 1 and again on September 1, 2005 to help finance the government's health reforms.
As a result, more smokers have been turning to rolling tobacco and cigars, which have been spared the higher taxation rates dumped on cigarettes over the past couple of years.


Sheff said: "At one point the price went so high that people resorted to smuggling."

I can second that and have read an interview with a spokesman for British American Tobacco. He said that increased tobacco taxes might blow smokers out of their clutch and onto the black market. Their concern is that the new taxes will not stop people smoking, but that they will turn to the black market and cheaper forms of tobacco.

Talking about 'cheaper' and buying cigarettes cheaper ...
one example can be found since many years here in Germany. Smokers who live near Poland, go there since many years, because they often pay less for cigarettes there and by doing that they also try to circumnavigate further tax hikes planned by the German government.

Well, I'm off for now.
Ciao,
Mandy
Travel is fatal to prejudice and narrow-mindedness.

Gloria
Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 5:08 am

Post by Gloria » Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:05 pm

Yes, I agree that smokers should pay high taxes for cigarettes.
As all of us know that smoking is hamrful to health, and the harmful effects are not just appear to those smokers, but also the one who is next to them.
However ,the number of smokers is still increasing day by day, and the trend show that more and more teenagers become smokers too.Therefore, I hope that the increase in tax on cigarettes can cut down the number of smokers .

User avatar
viveo
Member
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:17 am
Location: Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam
Contact:

Post by viveo » Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:00 pm

Smokers should pay high tax. First, smoking is not good for health. Otherwise smoker can affect passive smoker's health. It also causes environmental pollution. In addition, smoking is expensive. It waste of time and money. :lol:
What is love ?

cjlee02
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2004 3:21 am

Re: Smokers should pay high taxes for cigarettes.

Post by cjlee02 » Fri Nov 05, 2004 3:54 am

TP wrote:Smokers should pay high taxes for cigarettes.

smoker: a person who smokes cigarettes
tax: a charge by the government added to the price of goods and services
I think taxation on cigarettes is a good way to reduce in market popualtion of smokers.
I think there are two approachs to reduce a mumber of smoker.
the first is that to ban the smoking in special area. this is so call supplier-craked policy. the other is to increase the price of cigarette. that is so call market-distroied policy.
I will give a vote to market-distroyed poicy

User avatar
maryemily
Silver Member
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:16 pm
Location: Brazil

Post by maryemily » Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:37 pm

once I read in Veja magazina that Brazil spends more money with medical treament of ill smokers than receives in taxes from these industries....so, yes, I agree that the taxes should be higher....but not the employment ones....it would raise the number of unemployment in our country.

User avatar
CityYoung
Gold Member
Posts: 212
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:07 pm
Location: UnderTheTree

Post by CityYoung » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:49 pm

The govrement must stop enter cigarettes in their country . After that no body will smoke :)

User avatar
Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member
Posts: 1196
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:40 am
Location: Australia

Post by Shazzam » Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:07 am

CityYoung wrote:The govrement must stop enter cigarettes in their country . After that no body will smoke :)
Good idea, then they can also tell us what to eat, how many times a day to go to the toilet and what colour underpants to wear. :roll:

User avatar
serpico
Silver Member
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:20 am
Location: Canada , Alberta , Calgary
Contact:

Post by serpico » Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:42 am

CityYoung wrote:The govrement must stop enter cigarettes in their country . After that no body will smoke :)
Have you ever tought at smmugling ? Have you heard about " the forbiden fruit " ( I am not very sure if there is the same meaning in English ; I am refering at the famous apple from " Adam & Eva " ) ?
:)

Pearla
Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 6:40 am

Post by Pearla » Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:56 pm

Well, i think it's a good idea.

they are spending money to destroy their health, so let them pay for building something useful in their countries or saving people's lives, if the country decided use the amount of money they are going to pay, to finance health researches.

User avatar
Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member
Posts: 1196
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:40 am
Location: Australia

Post by Shazzam » Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:36 pm

Pearla wrote:Well, i think it's a good idea.

they are spending money to destroy their health, so let them pay for building something useful in their countries or saving people's lives, if the country decided use the amount of money they are going to pay, to finance health researches.
I don't know about the rest of the world but in my country cigerettes are heavily taxed by state and federal governments.

User avatar
DocAndy
Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:09 am
Location: Austria / Vienna

Smoking

Post by DocAndy » Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:44 am

I have the same oppinion.
Smoking sould be a little bit more expensive.
But I think the better way is to stop smoking in Restaunts, Discos, and so on.....

User avatar
Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member
Posts: 1196
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:40 am
Location: Australia

Re: Smoking

Post by Shazzam » Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:56 am

DocAndy wrote:I have the same oppinion.
Smoking sould be a little bit more expensive.
But I think the better way is to stop smoking in Restaunts, Discos, and so on.....
That already happens in my country too. So in Australia we have the taxes, the exclusion etc etc etc. I thought the rest of the World would have these policies as well. :shock:

User avatar
DocAndy
Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:09 am
Location: Austria / Vienna

Re: Smoking

Post by DocAndy » Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:47 pm

Shazzam wrote:
DocAndy wrote:I have the same oppinion.
Smoking sould be a little bit more expensive.
But I think the better way is to stop smoking in Restaunts, Discos, and so on.....
That already happens in my country too. So in Australia we have the taxes, the exclusion etc etc etc. I thought the rest of the World would have these policies as well. :shock:
Yeah, right! Thats cool. I don't know that this happens in Australia. :shock:

Maybe we get it in Austria in the future. I hope so!!

cheers.
And a good slide into the New Year
I hope I say it right!!

shokin
Rough Diamond Member
Posts: 1338
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:32 pm
Status: English Learner
Location: Switzerland

Post by shokin » Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:57 pm

PLEASE NO SMOKING IN ESL COMMUNITY !

Shokin

User avatar
Rui
Gold Member
Posts: 477
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:41 am
Location: World, Portugal, Porto, Maia

Post by Rui » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:16 pm

well, i'm not a smoker but i have to admit that i understand their point when they say all the taxes they are paying are being very important in other aspects of the society, this happens in portugal if you take a look to the money they are paying in taxes per year it's clearly that the government is using the money of the cigarettes to invest in other areas, so if they are smoking to pay some debts of the government instead of being me and all the people paying those debts, I guess I can handle with them, but this is just a point of view, i respect all the people that is against them and i also don't like to be eating or drinking something with someone throwing the smoke over me :wink:

User avatar
Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member
Posts: 1196
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:40 am
Location: Australia

Post by Shazzam » Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:10 am

Rui wrote:well, i'm not a smoker but i have to admit that i understand their point when they say all the taxes they are paying are being very important in other aspects of the society, this happens in portugal if you take a look to the money they are paying in taxes per year it's clearly that the government is using the money of the cigarettes to invest in other areas, so if they are smoking to pay some debts of the government instead of being me and all the people paying those debts, I guess I can handle with them, but this is just a point of view, i respect all the people that is against them and i also don't like to be eating or drinking something with someone throwing the smoke over me :wink:
Same thing applies though. If you are somewhere where smokers are allowed to smoke (and lets face it there aren't many places left) and you don't like it, then you should go somewhere else.

Let's face it there are probably more places for non-smokers now than smokers, so communities have to be fair about this. :roll:

tikay
Gold Member
Posts: 448
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:33 pm
Location: Lancaster, CA. U.S.

Post by tikay » Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:11 pm

I am going to once again play the devils advocate( meaning to take the opposte opinion) for the sake of smokers worldwide...without smoking can you imagine how much time would be on the hands of all the stressed out people who would then have nothing to do but act on those stressful things that cause them to smoke in the first palce...(I have been a smoker who was inclined to quit very often for the sake of health and then return for the sake of my health)

SURE some people would rather light up a cig and say screw it all than plot the murder of their spouse...if you get my drift,
if smoking calms the nerves would you take that away from that crazy fellow that you work with or rather see him coming to work one day with his machine gun...we need to question things baby...i would rather smell cigarettes all the time than have people being even more nuts around me than they
already are! (in los angeles anyway)
( Although I too might get a mask)

Abyway its a little fun with the what if....alternative...and besides
give people time to change...sure a massage would be better to relax with but is there a therapist outside every office building just waiting for us to come out so they can rub our sore necks? Not yet! :lol:
so ease up youngsters...(i have to think) and give people time to change...also smoking is not an immoral act it is just a bad habit...perpitrated by cigarette industry...it is only becoming a moral wrong when you dont consider all the aspects of the dangers...your kids will like it if you give it up...and so
enough said....anybody?
OH AND ABOUT THE SPELLING THING>>>YOU ARE HERE TO HELP PEOPLE NOT TO CRITISIZE RIGHT? Can you write in their native language without mis-spelling???
probably not....I apologise for them, my friends! (in case they don't) :lol: 8) :D :shock: :oops: :lol: :) :? :wink:

tikay
Gold Member
Posts: 448
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:33 pm
Location: Lancaster, CA. U.S.

you have the proper perspective...shazamm!

Post by tikay » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:52 pm

Shazzam wrote:
CityYoung wrote:The govrement must stop enter cigarettes in their country . After that no body will smoke :)
Good idea, then they can also tell us what to eat, how many times a day to go to the toilet and what colour underpants to wear. :roll:

Shazamm has the right attitude there!
we must all watch-out for what we ask for
especially with goverment intervention into our privacy!!!...you might get it honey!
a police state where they tell you what to do.... Martial law is no joke.
Nobody tells me how to smoke or not smoke and i choose to smoke one cigarette each night before i sleep...a very moderate girl, sometimes i will indulge more when i have big stress.
I dont mind if my friend smokes thirty cigs a day as long as they have the right to do it....I am not their commander I am their friend. but I do appreciate the thinking it is unhealthy...just no govt. rules on this!

tikay
Gold Member
Posts: 448
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:33 pm
Location: Lancaster, CA. U.S.

Post by tikay » Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:59 pm

thanks for that! although I dont really smoke anymore....quit recently again, I have long indulged in moderate smoking of the tobacco plants offerings...

people have been smoking for millennia....who's to say that a tiny bit of a bad thing is not alright for some...it seems to be the abuse that is the problem!
In fact I recently read something about a discovery of the health benefits of smoking tobacco....I will see if I can find the link... ...On second thought, NO... I wont because people will see it as permission to take it too far!



as for sex abuse and shopping....I prefer the sex, shopping is making my house very hard to keep clean since I am a sentimental sort of person, while sex was only a little bit messy and very much more enjoyable! Needless to say I couldn't keep all the lovers in a closet, (if only)
so they are much easier to deal with, than a shopping problem.

:lol: on sex and having a cigarette....
the moderation of cigarettes...you cant smoke too much if you keep your self busy having sex....only one (in between sessions) and another at the end is necessary :lol:

Keeping busy is the best way to stop smoking cigs.
Beat them out with healthy hobbys that you find more satisfying. :wink:

tikay
Gold Member
Posts: 448
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:33 pm
Location: Lancaster, CA. U.S.

Post by tikay » Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:39 pm

I am going to begin a thread on how to quit so everyone can share how they stop smoking or even how they keep themselves away from starting to smoke. :?
I think it is a good idea. :idea:


dont forget the demon sugar! :lol:

User avatar
samento
Member
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:02 am
Location: Thailand

Post by samento » Wed May 10, 2006 5:50 am

I agree with this policy.
Why? The goverment must pay too expensive for these smokers. When they are sick from cigarette, e.g., acute exacerbation of COPD, lung cancer, or bronchitis. These patient go to hospitals or clinics for seeking treatments.
So I think that we should get the high rate taxes from smoker.
And I hope that higher taxes will reduce a use of cigarette, like the high oil price. :)

shokin
Rough Diamond Member
Posts: 1338
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:32 pm
Status: English Learner
Location: Switzerland

Post by shokin » Wed May 10, 2006 6:35 am

In Switzerland, cigarette has chance to be prohibited in bars and pubs. It's already done in universities, trains and many restaurants !

Good thing !

Let you smoke outside or don't smoke !

I don't like my clothes and skin to smell cigarette.

Shokin

byron
Gold Member
Posts: 130
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:37 am
Location: Merry England

Re: Smokers should pay high taxes for cigarettes.

Post by byron » Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:31 pm

TP wrote:Smokers should pay high taxes for cigarettes.

smoker: a person who smokes cigarettes
tax: a charge by the government added to the price of goods and services
Britain has raised taxes so much that 84% of rolling tobacco used in the country is now brought in from the EEC countries where it is cheaper. Net result is a tremendous loss in taxes. Drug smugglers make more profit smuggling tobacco than drugs. There was a time when smokers paid for the entire National Health Service... no longer.
incidentally! Passive smoking is now proved to not be a threat. One breathes in more carceogenics just living in a city than sitting in a country pub full of smokers.

User avatar
essie
Gold Member
Posts: 338
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:37 am
Location: Canada

Re: Smokers should pay high taxes for cigarettes.

Post by essie » Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:55 am

Passive smoking is now proved to not be a threat. One breathes in more carceogenics just living in a city than sitting in a country pub full of smokers.
What about the guy sitting in a pub full of smokers, which is located in a city?

byron
Gold Member
Posts: 130
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:37 am
Location: Merry England

Re: Smokers should pay high taxes for cigarettes.

Post by byron » Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:14 am



What about the guy sitting in a pub full of smokers, which is located in a city?
He should get out and go to a pub that forbids smoking. He might find it empty but he will be happy and feeling sanctimonious.

User avatar
essie
Gold Member
Posts: 338
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:37 am
Location: Canada

Post by essie » Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:30 am

But would it more unhealthy?

--

Side note. Aside from your own private residence, all indoor smoking has been banned for some time here in Ontario. As of this month smoking in a casino has also been banned. But get this, here comes the kicker!> Smoking under semi covered structures has also been banned. For example, if you wanted to take a break from work and go out for a smoke, you better make sure you're standing far away enough, so that when you look up, all you see is sky. Restaurants are having to prohibit smoking in their outdoor patios, but only if it has a roof.

byron
Gold Member
Posts: 130
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:37 am
Location: Merry England

Post by byron » Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:28 am

Under such stringent rules smoking will become a fun thing to do for youngsters. Teenagers automatically rebel and will enjoy in breaking the laws.
No smoking was introduced for Pubs in Ireland. 22% sales drop was the result as people took their booze home instead. England introduces a similar ban soon and Publicans are very worried.
I still maintain that smoking is a personal choice. If people wish to do so then let them. If other people object then let them use places where it is forbidden. There are many non-smoking restaurants, pubs and other leisure places in Britain.

User avatar
crystalfrogw
Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:30 pm
Location: Tianjin,China

sure!

Post by crystalfrogw » Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:58 pm

Not only smokers should pay high tax but the place they smoke should be limited strictly.
Firstly, smoking causes seriously air pollution, and effects others'health. So they have the obligation to pay for the affects they bring about.High tax is just one of remedies.
Secondly,If some people can't resist the temptation of smoking,they should consider other people's benefit. At least the place they smoke should be controlled strictly in stead of without paying attention to feelings of people beside them.
Thirdly, children shoud be educated not to smoke and enhance the propagation on the disadvantages of smoking and then fewer and fewer kids smoke after they grow up.
All in all i am for the high taxes on smokers

User avatar
Krisi
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board
Posts: 4133
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:48 am
Status: English Learner

Post by Krisi » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:11 pm

:) This is a good idea, I think.
If smokers can easily risk their life for a pack or two each day,
it's not a big deal for them to spare more money for their people. :wink:

User avatar
Annaa
Rough Diamond Member
Posts: 1801
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:15 pm
Status: English Learner

Re: Smokers should pay high taxes for cigarettes.

Post by Annaa » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:41 am

Yeah I think that smokers need to pay hight taxes for cigarettes,and governments need to close tobacco`s factories.
If you don`t like me remember it's mind over matter..I don't mind and you don't matter..

User avatar
nino
Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:20 pm
Status: English Learner

Re: Smokers should pay high taxes for cigarettes.

Post by nino » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:36 pm

hi everbody

i am smoking and i know smoking is very bad for my health!!!
i pay a lot of money for ciggarette its enough stop!!!!!we are not allowed to smoke in closed area so whats the problem??!!!

emilkatok

Re: Smokers should pay high taxes for cigarettes.

Post by emilkatok » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:43 pm

I agree , that smokers should pay high taxes for cigarettes.
Cigarettes are unhealthy, but everything is for people. In my opinion we can drink alcohol , smok cigarettes , take a drags. More and more people use from this things. Our national budgete can increase. Mayby, a high taxes encourage people to stop buy this things .

RogelikIID
Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:50 pm
Status: English Learner

Re: Smokers should pay high taxes for cigarettes.

Post by RogelikIID » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:43 pm

I believe that smokers are a nuisance to other people but higher taxes for cigarettes doesn't solved the problems with them. For exapmple my grandma smoked all live. When she lived prices for cigarettes had been higher and higher and she didnt stop smoke So I think that it will not help.

User avatar
AAAAAn
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:26 am
Status: English Learner

Re: Smokers should pay high taxes for cigarettes.

Post by AAAAAn » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:56 am

Hi, everyone. In my opinion, I think smokers should pay high taxes for cigarettes. Because smoking lead to many diseases such as heart attack and respiratory system deceases. And smoke may end up as some sever problems. as the matter of fact, if the smoker pay more higher taxes for cigarettes, maybe they will stop smoking, and then there are many problems will slow quick.

User avatar
mwbiubiubiu
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:24 am
Status: Other

Re: Smokers should pay high taxes for cigarettes.

Post by mwbiubiubiu » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:18 am

I disagree that smokers should pay high taxes.
Cigarettes are unhealthy, but anything would be harmful if you had too much. Like sugars, people like them and think they're fine for their body, but if people eat too much, they will get all kinds of illness.There are a lot of people who smoke a lot, and at the same time, they know the risk that causes. By rising cigarettes in high price can decrease the amount that people bought, who knows they are not buying it illegally? In many countries, the aggravating trend of the increasing aging population, have slowly caused the productivity decrease. There will be too much of elder. In a cruel way, they are mostly of useless, and they are wasting the resources. And cigarettes can cause many harmful consequences, like cancer such things, which can decrease the population. So for all what I have been talking about is that people should have the freedom of choosing what they want to do and have the same opportunity to buy all kinds of things.

User avatar
JzMoriarty
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:27 am
Status: English Learner

Re: Smokers should pay high taxes for cigarettes.

Post by JzMoriarty » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:03 pm

I disagree with this, because nowadays there are thousands of people are the smokers. Although I am not a smoker, but I know that cigarettes are harmful and it will kill you. If you are the smokers and you notice need to pay high taxes for cigarettes, will you gonna buy it? The answer is Yes. Because you cannot control yourself and the cigarettes just like drug, maybe it can keep some who enjoyed cigarettes but you never stop those people who take cigarettes as second life.

User avatar
JzMoriarty
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:27 am
Status: English Learner

Re: Smokers should pay high taxes for cigarettes.

Post by JzMoriarty » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:04 pm

I disagree with this, because nowadays there are thousands of people are the smokers. Although I am not a smoker, but I know that cigarettes are harmful and it will kill you. If you are the smokers and you notice need to pay high taxes for cigarettes, will you gonna buy it? The answer is Yes. Because you cannot control yourself and the cigarettes just like drug, maybe it can keep some who enjoyed cigarettes but you never stop those people who take cigarettes as second life.

User avatar
PYJimmyPrice
New Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:27 am
Status: English Learner

Re: Smokers should pay high taxes for cigarettes.

Post by PYJimmyPrice » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:25 pm

I think this is a great idea.
high taxes indeed reduce the consumers of cigarettes. Smoking can affect a person's health and may even kill a person, so the benefits of paying high taxes for cigarettes to this society are enormous.
I do not know whether high taxes of cigarettes will increase crimes or not, because some of people they will rob someone because they do not have enough money to buy a cigarette, but anyway I think high taxes of cigarettes is a really really great idea.

User avatar
PYJimmyPrice
New Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:27 am
Status: English Learner

Re: Smokers should pay high taxes for cigarettes.

Post by PYJimmyPrice » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:35 pm

I think this is a great idea
High taxed indeed reduce the consumers of cigarettes. Smoking can affect a person’s health and may even kill a person, so the benefits of paying high taxes for cigarettes to this society are enormous.
I do not know whether high taxes of cigarettes will increase crimes or not, because some of people they will rob someone because they do not have enough money to buy a cigarette, but anyway I think high taxes of cigarettes is a really really great idea.

User avatar
clstudenttt
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:37 pm
Status: English Learner

Re: Smokers should pay high taxes for cigarettes.

Post by clstudenttt » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:36 pm

Personally speaking, I totally agree the statement. Cigarettes are harmful to our body and causing diseases such as lung cancer. Also, cigarettes are addictive. If someone constantly smoking, it is hard for him to give up this bad habit. In addition, second-hand-cigraettes are disruptive to others around the smoker. Therefore, due to these reasons, I believe the high taxes for cigarette are necessary. ;-)

User avatar
mwbiubiubiu
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:24 am
Status: Other

Re: Smokers should pay high taxes for cigarettes.

Post by mwbiubiubiu » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:39 pm

From Jerry
Smoking is so bad for the smokers and will cause a series of diseases like heart diseases, lung cancer and high blood pressure. When smokers smoke, chemicals in tobacco like carbon monoxide will damage the blood vessels, narrow air ways and damage air sacs. So people gets oxygenated blood slower than before. Some people say that smoking can help you to stay awake, but CO will slow down the circulatory system and will slow down the rate of getting oxygen. Also, people who can’t quit smoking is because it is a long term disease.

User avatar
CLCatherine
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:31 am
Status: English Learner

Re: Smokers should pay high taxes for cigarettes.

Post by CLCatherine » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:31 pm

Hey everyone
First of all, I agree with this view. I am in favor of raising the tax on cigarettes! Because raising taxes means that the overall cost of buying cigarettes increased. Many people will not be able to pay high taxes for a long time, and choose to quit smoking. So you can reduce the number of people who smoke. Smoking is not good for your health and others' health, can lead to heart disease, lung cancer. ..Taxes can be mandatory to help people quit smoking,That is a really great idea.

User avatar
LZDERR
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:31 am
Status: English Learner

Re: Smokers should pay high taxes for cigarettes.

Post by LZDERR » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:42 pm

Well, I think it is not bad, because price will be up and it can control the smoking people do not wast money in smoking, but we should pay attention that the price should not go up quickly, we should make the price up step by step.

User avatar
PYJimmyPrice
New Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:27 am
Status: English Learner

Re: Smokers should pay high taxes for cigarettes.

Post by PYJimmyPrice » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:08 am

I think this is a great idea
High taxed indeed reduce the consumers of cigarettes. Smoking can affect a person’s health and may even kill a person, so the benefits of paying high taxes for cigarettes to this society are enormous.
I do not know whether high taxes of cigarettes will increase crimes or not, because some of people they will rob someone because they do not have enough money to buy a cigarette, but anyway I think high taxes of cigarettes is a really really great idea.

User avatar
JJAaron
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:28 am
Status: English Learner

Re: Smokers should pay high taxes for cigarettes.

Post by JJAaron » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:33 am

i think it's not a good idea because smokers have the freedom to smoke. Taxes are not the useful way for them to smoke.

User avatar
JJAaron
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:28 am
Status: English Learner

Re: Smokers should pay high taxes for cigarettes.

Post by JJAaron » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:34 am

i think it's not a good idea because smokers have the freedom to smoke. Taxes are not the useful way for them to smoke.

User avatar
TGlalalala
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:33 am
Status: English Learner

Re: Smokers should pay high taxes for cigarettes.

Post by TGlalalala » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:28 am

In my opinion, not only smokers should pay high taxes for cigarettes, but also everyone. Because there will be some new smokers to by them. Also, the old smokers may ask their friend who isn't a smoker to buy cigarettes for him or her.
But I just found out that a lot of designers are smoker because of their job. They always have a lot of work to do, so they usually stay up late to do them. So sometimes cigarettes is necessary, but we still need to help smokers to give up smoking.

User avatar
TGlalalala
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:33 am
Status: English Learner

Re: Smokers should pay high taxes for cigarettes.

Post by TGlalalala » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:31 am

In my opinion, not only smokers should pay high taxes for cigarettes, but also everyone. Because there will be some new smokers to by them. Also, the old smokers may ask their friend who isn't a smoker to buy cigarettes for him or her.
But I just found out that a lot of designers are smoker because of their job. They always have a lot of work to do, so they usually stay up late to do them. So sometimes cigarettes is necessary, but we still need to help smokers to give up smoking.

User avatar
AQDaDa
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:31 am
Status: English Learner

Re: Smokers should pay high taxes for cigarettes.

Post by AQDaDa » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:04 am

I think it's not a good idea. First there is a new policy in China. That is you can't smoke in public places. So smoker will not effect your life(effect of air population is tiny). Although they are using cigarettes kill themselves. But they still choose to smoke ,so maybe they can't control themselves. Many poor families also have smokers. If taxes growing, they might get a big trouble.Like Drugs are expensive and illegal, but there are still some people using them. My opinion is smoker's taxes growing can't solve the problem, Only smoker's friend or family can save them from the hand of cigarettes.

User avatar
KJKWYF
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:30 am
Status: English Learner

Re: Smokers should pay high taxes for cigarettes.

Post by KJKWYF » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:56 am

Actually I don' t think high taxes can make smokers have any change, it can' t decrease smokers. They can choose they want to smoke or not, if someone really wants to smoke, no one can stop it. I think most of smoker know about their body, they know they can smoke or not.

User avatar
syscar
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:03 am
Status: English Learner

Re: Smokers should pay high taxes for cigarettes.

Post by syscar » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:28 pm

Smoking is a bad habit. It can cause a lot of diseases. Meanwhile smoking is a waste of money. Besides, careless smokers may cause dangerous fires. It is harmful and it is not only bad for smokers themselves, but also bad for non-smokers.
Therefore, I hope all the smokers can give up smoking for themselves and also for the people around them. Smoking is harmful and it is not only bad for smokers themselves, but also bad for non-smokers.
Therefore, I hope all the smokers can give up smoking for themselves and also for the people around them.

User avatar
JLuuudy
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:30 am
Status: English Learner

Re: Smokers Should Pay High Taxes for Cigarettes

Post by JLuuudy » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:58 pm

galina wrote:Hi, everyone.
I absolutely agree with the conception of high taxes for smokers.
The point is that there is not only threat for themselves, but also for people who are near them, espessially for pregnant women and teenagers. Youngsters usually don't aware danger from smoking completely. I think they only want to copiright behaviour their frends and want to show their ability to be resemble to older people.
I suppose that supplimentary taxes could be used for agitation and explanation the smoking hurm.
I agree what you said. I think let smokers pay high taxes for cigarettes is good for the smokers themselves,too. Some smokers may realised that smocking is bad for their health, but they still can't stop doing so. So, I think let smokers pay high taxes is a good action for both smokers themselves and the people around them.

User avatar
MAYYYYY
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:32 am
Status: English Learner

Re: Smokers should pay high taxes for cigarettes.

Post by MAYYYYY » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:23 am

I agree with the proposal of smokers should pay more taxes. Because smoking is harmful to everyone, not just the smoker. When people breathe in the smoke, they will be unhealthier. So smokers should pay more taxes on cigarettes.

User avatar
EQEricquan
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:32 am
Status: English Learner

Re: Smokers should pay high taxes for cigarettes.

Post by EQEricquan » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:19 am

I believe that smokers should pay high taxes for cigarettes. Because there are many smoker in China. For me, my aunt always smoke in the house, so make me always can smell of cigarettes in the room. Smoke is bad for people, smell much can make people died. So, I believe that smokers should pay high taxes for cigarettes.

User avatar
BLXAlala
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:32 am
Status: English Learner

Re: Smokers should pay high taxes for cigarettes.

Post by BLXAlala » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:56 am

By increase the tax on cigarette, I think that is a good way to limit people smoke.
Everyone knows smoke is bad for health, but most of them cannot control themselves, so they also bad for the people who stand around him. So increase the tax this a good approach to solute this problem, and decrease the number of smokers.

User avatar
CSISHANDSOME
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:29 am
Status: English Learner

Re: Smokers should pay high taxes for cigarettes.

Post by CSISHANDSOME » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:02 am

I think this is a good idea , because smoking is bad to our health , if government do it , i think many people will give up cigarettes, it can help people to control themself

User avatar
gwuruolinlin
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:33 am
Status: English Learner

Re: Smokers should pay high taxes for cigarettes.

Post by gwuruolinlin » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:06 am

In my opinion, raise the text is a good way to reduce the number of people to buy cigarette. The cigarette not only bad for health, it also influences the air quality. :twisted: Cigarette is one of the reason that cause the air pollution.(people smokes) If government do that, not only can reduce the people get disease on cigarette, it also reduces the air pollution. {-;

Post Reply