OK this is my trip to BeiJing

Talk about travel, tourism and your holidays.

Moderator: EC

Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

OK this is my trip to BeiJing

Post by Dixie »

February 12 – 13

12:00PM. Barcelona – Madrid flight (less than 50 minutes).
17:00PM. Madrid – BeiJing. The flight lasts almost 12 hours. The seats are so uncomfortable nobody can sleep. We land in BeiJing the next morning at 12PM (it’s still 5AM for us). Since the flight was late, we don’t go straight to the hotel (d***!!!), but go to lunch at Bei Hai Park:
http://eos.photonik.tuwien.ac.at/china/ ... 27-220.JPG

After lunch, we were supposed to visit the Temple of Heaven (http://www.hearnweb.com/china/image/14- ... heaven.jpg) , but since it’s already late we head off to the hotel. Fewwwwwwww. Everybody is so tired, I am desperate to take a shower and fall asleep. The hotel is awesome!! http://beijing.swissotel.com
I’m in room 721.

February 14

6:30AM. Morning call (aghhhhhh). We go downstairs to have breakfast. I can’t believe my eyes. I was so eager to taste the real Chinese fried noodles, but I wasn’t expecting to have them for breakfast! Noodles, fried rice, sausages, and other stuff I don’t know is served, along with more typical Westerner breakfast stuff like orange and apple juice, croissants, yoghourts, cereal, coffee and milk are served. I have an orange juice, two croissants and and a strawberry and banana yoghurt!!! I can’t even believe it, me, accustomed to having just a cup of milk in the morning, eating all that!

8:30AM. We head off to visit the Ming Tombs (by the way, Lennye, I wasn’t told to do anything there… ¿?) and the Sacred Way (http://www.mcla.edu/About_MCLA/Services ... 0Tombs.JPG)

After lunch we head off to the Great Wall in Badaling. What to say… Amazing, really. When I take my estelada (Catalan indepentist flag: http://www.kumbaworld.com/estelada.png) to take a picture with it, everybody in my group goes crazy. They all want to have a picture taken with it. A man even tells me I should make them pay for borrowing it, lol.
For dinner, we go to a popular restaurant in Beijing, known for their delicious BeiJing duck. My goodness! I had not tasted something so delicious for ages!
When I get to my hotel room, I go straight to the shower and I can hear my mom talking to me from outside. She says there’s a paper on the floor behind the wall. It says “Guest message” on it. When I get off the shower we open it. It says: “Dear Mrs XXX, Violet called you. Please call her back at XXXXXXXXXXXX. Thank you.”. I am so excited! Violet called me! So I call her back and we arrange to meet the next day at the Forbidden City. Wooohooooooooooo!

February 15

6:30AM. Damn morning call.
In the morning we visit Tian an’men square and the Forbidden City. We find ourselves surrounded by local people in a few seconds. They all stare at my cousin Angela in amazement. Some of them even dare come closer and touch her. It’s like she’s an exotic creature.
As we are about to enter the Forbidden City, my cell rings and it’s Violet! She’s already in the Forbidden City. It’s so exciting to meet her! The managers of my group say she can stay and have lunch with us, but unfortunately she can only stay for a few moments. Ewww. Anyway, I am so glad you came, Violet. Like I told you, it meant a lot to me. Thank you again! Oh and she brought me a little present, which I liked so much! I will keep it like a treasure.
After lunch we visit the Summer Palace. That’s where the Empress used to spend the summer. OMG! As I was walking through it, I imagined how it looked back in those times. I just loved it, especially the frozen lake and the marble ship!
Later we visit the pearl market and then we head off to the hotel.

February 16

7:00AM Morning call. Agh.
Today is coooooooooooooold. We visit the Temple of Heaven but can only see the first temple, not the real one, because it’s being refurbished because of the Olympics (in fact everything’s being refurbished because of the games). My mom’s really disappointed, since she wanted to see it so badly.

Afterwards we take a ride on bicycles and we visit one of the poorest districts in BeiJing. We even visit a house there. It’s so sad, they don’t even have a bathroom. People have to share a public bathroom with thirty families. In fact I don’t know why we were taken to visit that house, but on the other hand I think that it’s good to see the real BeiJing, you know, not only the huge hotels and wealth areas. 60% of the population in BeiJing is poor. They all live in grey houses, while the Emperor used to live in the Forbidden City, which is all painted red and yellow. The poor people lived in grey houses because that was the color of poverty, of inferior groups. How sad.
After lunch we visit the Lama Temple. It looks great although no photos are allowed. There’s a wooden Buddha 26 meters tall. I even took a picture of a monk but it was moved so I deleted it :D
Afterwards we visit the Silk Market and then we go to the theatre. Great!

February 17

Shopping all day. It’s impressive, really. We haggle all the time. For instance, I'm asked 280 yuans for a shirt I really like. We offer 40. The girl says it can't be, that that shirt is handmade, it is the best one she has in the shop and asks me to rise the price a little. I say 40 is my final offer. After a while she says 50. I say 40 again and she say no way so we leave. We are in the shop opposite when suddenly someone touches my elbow. It is the girl. She says I can have the shirt for 40.
Itiss funny but tiring. Everybody's haggling all the time. In fact that’s what they expect. They give you a really high price and then you have to haggle. It's funny, really. I get shirts for 5 euros (50 yuans). We want to buy two leather jackets and we are asked 1800 yuans for one and 1600 for the other one. Finally we get them both for 1000.
Today we have lunch at McDonald’s. OMG. It’s so spicy but delicious!

February 18

Another free day we spend shopping. We go to Wangfuging, a very popular pedestrian street in BeiJing not far from Tian an’men square. There’s a huge mall there, along with many other stores. We have lunch at KFC :D

February 19

We gather a group of people and head off to WangFuGing again. We were told there’s a street there where you can get small fried portions of the following bugs: scorpions, starfish, grasshoppers, chrysalis, etc. No one bought any, but I took a pair of photos for you to see. Ewww.
We have lunch at a Spanish restaurant near the hotel. We order paella. I’ve tasted better ones but it tastes good, no complaints there :D Every one in the restaurant is from my group except for a couple from Venezuela. It’s so funny. It should be called Catalan restaurant instead.

February 20

Last breakfast at the hotel. I am gonna miss those bacon and cheese omelettes! Me, who just have a glass of milk for breakfast at home, I’ve been eating a lot for breakfast in China, really.
At 10AM we leave the hotel and at 13:45 the plane takes off… Again, a 12-hour flight… This time we go towards the sun so we don’t see the night until we get to Madrid, at 18:45. We are so tired, but we still have to get a plane to Barcelona. Thankfully it’s just 50 minutes… However, there’s still a 2-hour trip home. We get home at 12AM, which means I’ve been awake and travelling for 24 hours… I am so tired I don’t even know what day it is.

And next year… SAN FRANCISCO!!!
Last edited by Dixie on Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
ahmads
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by ahmads »

wooooo.
you are very fast in typing wwww
nice trib ,,,
Did you like noodles?
and what about your pic with Cataloni plag on the wall great???!!!
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

ahmads wrote:wooooo.
you are very fast in typing wwww
nice trib ,,,
Did you like noodles?
and what about your pic with Cataloni plag on the wall great???!!!
I didn't have the noodles :D

I will upload the pictures but first I must reduce them, they are too big...

By the way, I showed Violet a picture I had taken on the Great Wall that said "No spitting please". I took a picture of it because I thought it was funny. Later on I found out everybody spits in China... Everywhere... Even a taxi-driver spat through the car window... I told my mom: "No tip for this pig!", but she tipped him anyway...
Butler
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Butler »

Lovely story...you make it sound so nice...
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

I have to say some Chinese people were hard to understand when they spoke English. The hotel staff did speak English and some of them were pretty good. But I was impressed when I met Violet. Her English is awesome! She speaks really well! ;)
Rui
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Rui »

well i guess you have enjoyed very much these days in china, and as butler said its really nice the way you have organized the thread to explain all the journey, im sure there's many things to tell but this is a good start 8) it was a pity that you could not be more time with Viloet, im sure you would have many stories talk about and it must be special to meet someone from EC face to face :lol:, now im looking forward to more questions that will gonna be made by our members and probably read again to see what i want know better, this was just point to say that i've read it yet 8)

P.S.- not i remember what i was asking, put the photos on your messenger page, and you dont need to reduce their dimension, the program that does the upload of them can do that for you :wink:
Hardi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Hardi »

U can also upload your pic here http://www.imageshack.us/ it even allow hotlinking
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Rui wrote: P.S.- not i remember what i was asking, put the photos on your messenger page, and you dont need to reduce their dimension, the program that does the upload of them can do that for you :wink:
Really? I'm gonna try right now! Thank you sweetie!!!
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Hardi wrote:U can also upload your pic here http://www.imageshack.us/ it even allow hotlinking
I know, Hardi, but there are more than 200 photos and it would take forever :D Thanks anyway, I am going to try to upload them on my msn page.
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Well, I just got my phone bill. Violet told me that cellphone calls were expensive in China, but this is outragerous! I just talked to her for 8 minutes and they've charged me 20 euros for that call! :twisted: :P
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Dixie wrote:I have to say some Chinese people were hard to understand when they spoke English. The hotel staff did speak English and some of them were pretty good. But I was impressed when I met Violet. Her English is awesome! She speaks really well! ;)
Lalee speaks really good, too. I wonder how other members sound like. *dreaming*
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Dixie wrote:
Hardi wrote:U can also upload your pic here http://www.imageshack.us/ it even allow hotlinking
I know, Hardi, but there are more than 200 photos and it would take forever :D Thanks anyway, I am going to try to upload them on my msn page.
Wow, 200 pictures? Are we allowed to see all of them?
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

LennyeTran wrote:ry to upload them on my msn page.
Wow, 200 pictures? Are we allowed to see all of them?[/quote]

Of course, there's nothing on them to hide :D There are 234 photos, I think. I need to talk to someone who knows how those msn spaces work so I can upload them there... Rui please answer me on msn!
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Dixie wrote:
Of course, there's nothing on them to hide :D There are 234 photos, I think. I need to talk to someone who knows how those msn spaces work so I can upload them there... Rui please answer me on msn!
Oh man, you should have done it on Yahoo Photos. It's so easy. I could download about 42 pictures without reducing their sizes in less than five minutes. :wink:
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

LennyeTran wrote: Oh man, you should have done it on Yahoo Photos. It's so easy. I could download about 42 pictures without reducing their sizes in less than five minutes. :wink:
How do you do that??
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

You can use Yahoo Photos to upload your pictures. And if you want to open a page like msnspace, you can use 360 and then connect your photos from Yahoo Photos to 360. This way everyone can read your blog and see your photos. You only have to download them once.
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

LennyeTran wrote:You can use Yahoo Photos to upload your pictures. And if you want to open a page like msnspace, you can use 360 and then connect your photos from Yahoo Photos to 360. This way everyone can read your blog and see your photos. You only have to download them once.
Thanks Lennye! I am already uploading them to msn spaces though.

Oh another thing about BeiJing people... I think I already told you this but anyway... They all stared directly at my cousin Angela! I remember we were in Tian'anmen square listening to our guide when all of a sudden we found ourselves surrounded by local people, all staring at her... Some of them even dared touch her. , She was like an exotic creature :lol: Someone told us that was because they had never seen a girl with her hair so long, but later Violet told me that couldn't be, since her daughter's hair is twice as long as Angela's, and the reason why they stared at her must be that she's so pretty... I don't know but I found it so funny...
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Dixie wrote:
Thanks Lennye! I am already uploading them to msn spaces though.

Oh another thing about BeiJing people... I think I already told you this but anyway... They all stared directly at my cousin Angela! I remember we were in Tian'anmen square listening to our guide when all of a sudden we found ourselves surrounded by local people, all staring at her... Some of them even dared touch her. , She was like an exotic creature :lol: Someone told us that was because they had never seen a girl with her hair so long, but later Violet told me that couldn't be, since her daughter's hair is twice as long as Angela's, and the reason why they stared at her must be that she's so pretty... I don't know but I found it so funny...
Got her pictures? Are her eyes as big and pretty as yours? Because I like your baby picture. Gosh, look at them eyes. I can't see anything else on the face except two bright eyes.
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

LennyeTran wrote: Got her pictures? Are her eyes as big and pretty as yours? Because I like your baby picture. Gosh, look at them eyes. I can't see anything else on the face except two bright eyes.
Wow thank you :oops: No, she's really beautiful, you'll see the pics... She's my godson's big sister. She's 7 and really smart.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Hey, I've just realized that you didn't spend your Valentine's with your bf, huh? Well, you don't celebrate it, but you left before that day.....
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

LennyeTran wrote:Hey, I've just realized that you didn't spend your Valentine's with your bf, huh? Well, you don't celebrate it, but you left before that day.....
I spent Valentine's Day on the Great Wall! :D No, I didn't mind, because I don't celebrate it :wink:
Rui
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Rui »

i guess valentine's day is only important if you or a member of your family is onwer of restaurant or one of that companies that sell those stupid things 8)
Lalee
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Lalee »

LennyeTran wrote:
Dixie wrote:I have to say some Chinese people were hard to understand when they spoke English. The hotel staff did speak English and some of them were pretty good. But I was impressed when I met Violet. Her English is awesome! She speaks really well! ;)
Lalee speaks really good, too. I wonder how other members sound like. *dreaming*
We should arrange a meeting at Skype sometime, don't you think?
It would be nice to hear Dixie's voice, Violet's, etc.
Lalee
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Lalee »

Dix, I can't wait to see the pictures. After reading about your cousin Angela, I want to see what she looks like.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Dixie wrote: I spent Valentine's Day on the Great Wall! :D No, I didn't mind, because I don't celebrate it :wink:
You'll celebrate it with him later, huh? :wink:
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Rui wrote:i guess valentine's day is only important if you or a member of your family is onwer of restaurant or one of that companies that sell those stupid things 8)
My aunt owns a flower shop in San Francisco. She said her business is always good during Valentine's.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Lalee wrote:
Yeah, and talk about her pictures. It'd be fun!
Unknownsu
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Unknownsu »

Great travelogue, Dixie, but I have to disagree with you onone thing. The first time I heard Violet speak, I couldn't distinguish whether she was saying "Hello" or "Astronaut".
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Lalee wrote:
Just say day and time:D
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Unknownsu wrote:Great travelogue, Dixie, but I have to disagree with you onone thing. The first time I heard Violet speak, I couldn't distinguish whether she was saying "Hello" or "Astronaut".
You're so mean! Her English is great! ;)
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Lalee wrote:Dix, I can't wait to see the pictures. After reading about your cousin Angela, I want to see what she looks like.
I am uploading them to my msn space but it's taken forever. It's so slow. I will let you all know when it's ready...
Hardi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Hardi »

I was too impatient to wait your invitation, I looked first 70 something. I hopped in china is warmth weather, but.. no pic taken on beach.
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Hardi wrote:I was too impatient to wait your invitation, I looked first 70 something. I hopped in china is warmth weather, but.. no pic taken on beach.
So you already saw them too??? :( You guys are so impatient! :D :D I am about to finish.

By the way, there's no beach in BeiJing!
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Fewwwwwwwwwww OK it's done!

spaces.msn.com/dixeta

Please leave your comments!
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

violet wrote:
Dixie wrote:
Lalee wrote:
Just say day and time:D
Okay, I will go to buy a new speaker. :D
Danyet said he will join us :wink: . Now he's waiting to see what's going on. Da*n, the boy is paranoid! Now I owe everyone an apology. :oops: :oops:
ahmads
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by ahmads »

Dixie wrote:Fewwwwwwwwwww OK it's done!

spaces.msn.com/dixeta

Please leave your comments!
I leave my coplaint there :lol:
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

ahmads wrote: I leave my coplaint there :lol:
What's your complaint? :D :twisted:
ahmads
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by ahmads »

Dixie wrote:
ahmads wrote: I leave my coplaint there :lol:
What's your complaint? :D :twisted:
first :nice pics :D
second : why have not translated spanish to English ,, :cry: :twisted:
Last edited by ahmads on Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

ahmads wrote: first :nice pics :D
second : why have not done translate spinsh to English ,, :cry: :twisted:
¿? The comments are in Catalan and English. What else do you want? :D
ahmads
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by ahmads »

Dixie wrote:
nothing ,,just I am sorry I mixed between world's :lol: sorry word not world :lol:
Rui
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Rui »

Dixie wrote:
Portuguese please 8) 8) 8) im joking... its a very well done album with your photos, i couldnt do better :wink:
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Rui wrote: Portuguese please 8) 8) 8) im joking... its a very well done album with your photos, i couldnt do better :wink:
Thank you sweetie. It was the first time I did it, I was so lost, you know that :lol:
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Thanks for your comments, Lalee and Unknownsu! ;) Very funny :D
ahmads
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by ahmads »

I have another complaint ,,
where is the plane's left wing ? :?
Dixie