Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

TalkingPoint
Teacher/Moderator
Teacher/Moderator

No Sex Please, we're British!

Post by TalkingPoint »

No Sex Please, we're British!

We often make generalizations about countries and nationalities. For example, many people think that the British don't like sex. Or we think that all French people wear berets and drink red wine. These are called clichés or stereotypes. These clichés are often inaccurate, or at least out-of-date. Often they are completely wrong and unfair.

Does it help international relations to make generalizations about countries and national characteristics?
Last edited by TalkingPoint on Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
hugoromo

nO, SEX pLEASe, We Are bRiTisH

Post by hugoromo »

Absolutely, it doesn´t help. But it´s funny to know how people see themself.
I am Chilean, I have British friends, and people that I´ve come across on internet. I´ve read British books too, but I find that it isn´t true in its whole.
And that is just because, again the books I´ve read, the people I´ve met and the movies that I've seen.

I am for looking for the similarities rather than the differences among cultures and their peoples.
:) I am Chilean too. What are you talking about?
Last edited by hugoromo on Thu Oct 23, 2003 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
ziouzioua

my veiw about this topic

Post by ziouzioua »

All I have seen and read about the British civilazation is that British people are honest and what I know about them is that they are better off in their lives.
Last edited by ziouzioua on Tue Dec 02, 2003 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brits

Post by Guest »

I find Brits very sexy
Farawayfromyou

Post by Farawayfromyou »

:D ,Hi! I have known that the British si very coversation,and I like the uk
Mandy2

Post by Mandy2 »

Sometimes we might get the idea that people who travel to another country know already a lot about it, but it has often much more the character of a fuzzy idea about the foreign people and their behavior and is not always correct. These ideas about another country or its citizens often match the real situation in the respective country only a little! and are governed by some obvious basic behavior patterns. Stereotypes tend to be superficial and we should keep this in mind, before we believe them. If possible, visit a country, meet its people first, learn about their culture first hand in meetings, talks etc and then make up your mind, instead of believing stereotypes.
PolishLady

you are British, we are Polish :o)

Post by PolishLady »

Stereotypes are as old as people I think. "The problem" lies in different culture and mentality. I'm partly writing my MA thesis on this topic and I find it very interesting. Why? Because I'm a Pole and I dislike general opinions about my nation, especially given by the Americans as far as I know :( But isn't it a stereotype either?? I'm not going to tell you I don't like the Americans, contrary, I would like to meet some of them :) And the British? Personally, I think they are very original and interesting. And what about us, Polish girls? We are just different, and so are the girls from Germany, Britain, Russia, Slovakia.... With Polish greetings - Polish Lady (not Makbeth :lol: )
A man who knows he is a fool is not a great fool
kenji

cultural diff

Post by kenji »

We need to stop using generalizations....global world baby!
Ika

Post by Ika »

I don't think all the pople in all the world are the same, it is unbelievable, i really believe that there is a difference between for example people from Northern countries and from the South. The temperament is different, after all. And stereotypes, whether we like them or not, are created for some reason, don't you think? another thing is how much we believe them, and how open is our mind to accept the fact, that all the people are unique, whatever the stereotype they are attached to. Besides, if you have to meet somebody from another culture, knowing some stereotypes can help you to make friends, it can save you some shock, if the behaviour is very different from yours :wink: later you will find out yourself, how much do the strerotypes work. Just don't be biased, and all will be ok.
"To know nothing is bad, to learn nothing is worse."
Arale
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Arale »

Now most young people have sexual relation before their marriage. And it seems man just want a virgin girl. It is really not fair. Do you think it is an important criterion to find your future spouse?

_Arale_
Last edited by Arale on Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing lasts forever...
Judy2004

Up-to-date generalizations are very useful.

Post by Judy2004 »

I think most of generalizations about countries and national characteristics except for cliches or stereotypes help international relations.

We may all admit the fact that people who come from different countries think and behavior in a different way. So before we get to know foreigners, the only way we can obtain an idea about them is from generalizations.Obviously, during the communication with foreigners,if you are equipped with the up-to-date generalizations,you can understand your parter more and feel more comfortable,at the same time, make your parter feel at home.In addition, more information from the generalizations can avoid the misunderstanding ,sometimes even culture conflict to the greatest extent.

There is a big difference between the east asian countries and the west countries.It is well known that Chinese are hospitable,if you go to visit a chinese friend,he or she may be busy in and out and prepare a number of best food for you, while having the meal,the owner will put the best dishes in front of you as if he will show impolite if he does not do it. The west, however,are totally different,which I have got from the generalizations. Therefore,one time when I had the chance to have dinner with an English friend,I was familiar with the way that she respected my choice and didn't place any dish specially near to me.If I don't know about the difference,maybe something will occur to my mind that English people aren't polite enough to foreigners.

Of course,we live in the world,where change is constant.Like all the other things,generaliaztions should be up-to-date,otherwise they will be reduced to cliches or stereotypes which become the hindrance of international communication.Furthermore,with the development of science,all the world will become one earth village,all the countries interact more.So it can be predicted that something special in one country will assimilated by other countries and many things will tend to be identical,thus some generalizations about it should be amended to reflect such changes.
Pirate
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Pirate »

But some stereotypes are true! For example English people are supposed to be polite or Italian people are supposed to be romantic. I think it's good for international relation if we know some really special things about people from other countries.
maryemily

Post by maryemily »

great topic!!!!!! yeah, people tend to make stereotypes, for example, about Brazilian girls....people say we make sex all the time, I have already heard that in some countries, people think we don't have houses, buildings, or go to school, or can even have culture. That is due to the fact (in part) that our midia exports that image....only Carnaval, and beaches....Here, we think British are cold and are always on time.....and French don't have showers.....of course, generalizations contain faults. Once, a teacher of mine said that, when living in Spain, tried to date a boy, and his mother didn't like her because for her, Brazilian women are all whores!!!!!!!!
Pirate
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Pirate »

maryemily wrote:great topic!!!!!! yeah, people tend to make stereotypes, for example, about Brazilian girls....people say we make sex all the time,
Aw, I know South American girls are quite hot, but not that stuff! I always see them in stadium watching football excitingly.
It's somehow like the cliche' "all who speak Spanish can dance since s/he can walk!" :wink:
maryemily wrote: Once, a teacher of mine said that, when living in Spain, tried to date a boy, and his mother didn't like her because for her, Brazilian women are all whores!!!!!!!!
Forget it, she might be too old to know what is true ... he he
Andrefm

Post by Andrefm »

:? I agree, because the same happens here in Brazil, people think we just have carnaval and our country is amazonas forest.
I think nobody should include a whole coutry that has many diferent people in only one image. It can't express the truth.
hi. i' Andre. I'm from Brazil. I like music...
xiaomanman

Re: No Sex Please, we're British!

Post by xiaomanman »

TP wrote:No Sex Please, we're British!
For example, many people think that the British don't like sex.
generalization is inaccurate sometimes. If British people don't like sex, why would so many British babies come to the world everyday? Where are these new babies from?

Of course, they are from sex.
Shazzam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Shazzam »

xiaomanman wrote:
For example, many people think that the British don't like sex.
generalization is inaccurate sometimes. If British people don't like sex, why would so many British babies come to the world everyday? Where are these new babies from?

Of course, they are from sex.
Exactly!

The reason it is looked upon that the British don't like sex is because they don't like to talk about sex. It is a taboo. From what I have heard from some people that I know that are British it is seen as being in very bad taste.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Shazzam wrote: Exactly!

The reason it is looked upon that the British don't like sex is because they don't like to talk about sex. It is a taboo. From what I have heard from some people that I know that are British it is seen as being in very bad taste.
Hmmmm... I believe the stereotype of the Americans don't like sex more than the Brits don't like sex :lol: . Americans are afraid to show X-rated scenes on television, but they somehow have teenagers drop out of high school because partly they're pregnant :roll: . Brits's televison, on the other hand, shows a lot of nudity. Nothing of that censor board over the nudity parts (I hate it when they're doing the stupid censor thing; it ruins my moods. :lol: ) on their shows like American's.
lillychen

hi

Post by lillychen »

Sex, I think every adult like it if he or she have a good health. It is important just like eating and sleeping for a human being.why not a British man?
Shazzam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Shazzam »

LennyeTran wrote:
Shazzam wrote: Exactly!

Hmmmm... I believe the stereotype of the Americans don't like sex more than the Brits don't like sex :lol: . Americans are afraid to show X-rated scenes on television, but they somehow have teenagers drop out of high school because partly they're pregnant :roll: . Brits's televison, on the other hand, shows a lot of nudity. Nothing of that censor board over the nudity parts (I hate it when they're doing the stupid censor thing; it ruins my moods. :lol: ) on their shows like American's.
I was referring to general conversation not media. I know that most british people don't like discussing sex. They might watch it but they don't like talking about it. :wink:
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Shazzam wrote:
I was referring to general conversation not media. I know that most british people don't like discussing sex. They might watch it but they don't like talking about it. :wink:
Neither do most people in the world. People around the world have jokes about sex, but we don't talk about it as a daily conversation. It even goes far worst in some countries; it's like it's a taboo (you've already said it :wink: ). And teaching kids about sex is still something that not everyone agrees on. In America, the school has to have the permission from the parents to teach those kids about safe sex and stuff. I think it's idiotic not to teach kids about safe sex; however, I personally find those who talk about it as like their everyday conversation are having mental disorder. I don't like people who kiss and tell. What happening in the bed should remain in the bed.
Rui
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Rui »

LennyeTran wrote:What happening in the bed should remain in the bed.
in bed or somewhere else, because doing it always in bed it's kind boring :lol:, and besides… I guess it’s not a secret to anyone what is supposed to do 8)
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Rui wrote:
in bed or somewhere else, because doing it always in bed it's kind boring :lol:, and besides… I guess it’s not a secret to anyone what is supposed to do 8)
Uh huh! Intimacy should be respected. We have jokes about sex genders, but not sex in general. Well, we only do that with family or close friends, you agree with me? Not in a crowded place, open public, to strangers, etc. right?
mr_Love
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by mr_Love »

:!:
Rui
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Rui »

LennyeTran wrote:
Rui wrote:
Uh huh! Intimacy should be respected. We have jokes about sex genders, but not sex in general. Well, we only do that with family or close friends, you agree with me? Not in a crowded place, open public, to strangers, etc. right?
well, i agree with your opinion... however it's difficult sometimes to understand why people are so shy talking about it, as i said... i do the things that everybody does... and i respect if someone has a different opinion, i don't know but i look to sex like any other thing we do in live, if it gives you pleasure you should do it as much as you can but with careful, i guess we need to have this kind of behave with all matters, isn't it?
tikay
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by tikay »

As an Amercian, am I a cowboy? No, I cannot ride a horse. Am I culturally ignorate and insensitive? No - as I have lived overseas for some time and speak 3 languages. But, I do share some traits of stereotype cowboys, that is independence a willingness to venture into the unknow. But other cultures share those same traits also.

I am sort of new so I hope I am doing this right...with the quote from above...
I agree with you we might have some qualities of the stereotypes from our countries of origin,but there is so much more to find out about people, I only wish that the mis-understandings that sometimes come up were easy to solve, between cultures. I was once married to someone from another culture (South pacific islander-Tonga) and we tried to get past all the different ways of thinking and doing things but in the end it was too difficult & too many dissagreements...we had to move on, to be able to be the people we really were.
I believe stereotyping exists (mostly) only when one does not care enough to look deeper...still we are (sometimes deeply)affected by our culture.
I was raised by people considered "hippys", in the so called "counterculture" a whole different take (or story) on culture.
tikay
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by tikay »

Arale wrote:Now most young people have sexual relation before their marriage. And it seems man just want a virgin girl. It is really not fair. Do you think it is an important criterion to find your future spouse?

_Arale_
You are right! this is so ridiculous, as something of a feminist I have to say how wrong of anyone to expect so much of a girl...or a guy for that matter, and the stereotype is that the woman is purer if she has avoided her sexuality before ...but having been married now she becomes what? a vixen overnight? Then (is she impure the minute she has sex) the things we want from our potential partner in life should be things we will do ourself...just my opinion.
Shazzam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Shazzam »

tikay wrote:
Arale wrote:Now most young people have sexual relation before their marriage. And it seems man just want a virgin girl. It is really not fair. Do you think it is an important criterion to find your future spouse?

_Arale_
You are right! this is so ridiculous, as something of a feminist I have to say how wrong of anyone to expect so much of a girl...or a guy for that matter, and the stereotype is that the woman is purer if she has avoided her sexuality before ...but having been married now she becomes what? a vixen overnight? Then (is she impure the minute she has sex) the things we want from our potential partner in life should be things we will do ourself...just my opinion.
I don't think it has anything to do with purity. My thoughts are that is more about ego and control. Men don't like to be compared, if a woman has had more than one partner they feel insecure. The control part stems from the fact that most women have a very special place for their first sexual partner. You can draw you on conclusions on that one. :idea:
tikay
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by tikay »

[
I don't think it has anything to do with purity. My thoughts are that is more about ego and control. Men don't like to be compared, if a woman has had more than one partner they feel insecure. The control part stems from the fact that most women have a very special place for their first sexual partner. You can draw you on conclusions on that one. :idea:[/quote]

In psycology there is something called the madonna/whore complex...I was merely saying I dont agree with the type of man who wants a girl to be a virgin but he would never conside it for himself...like he should experiment with different partners but these women he beds are not worth marrying...that he saves for a special girl who would never do that, what he has been doing...the double standard. is thatokay to you? and what of those girls who he had sex with were they not worthy of a marriage proposal...even though they may have hung round in the relationship with a guy...in case he was an open minded sort who would one day propose to (silly me)
sexual experimantation on the part of all sexes should be either a right for all or not good for anyone... or how about switching things around TO: NOW you guys stay virgins and we will play around and treat you like rubbish if you do it before marriage.
see what I am sayin?
equality baby!
discoverer

Post by discoverer »

We often make generalizations about countries and nationalities. For example, many people think that the British don't like sex. Or we think that all French people wear berets and drink red wine. These are called clichés or stereotypes. These clichés are often inaccurate, or at least out-of-date. Often they are completely wrong and unfair.

Does it help international relations to make generalizations about countries and national characteristics?
Yeah i agree with you... i'm french and often we can see in the american movies(for example) old french persons wearing berets, with their breads .. lol .. but its rather funny to see this. :lol:
But now the new generations are more "open" and it's ok.
tikay
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by tikay »

Shazzam wrote:
tikay wrote:

_Arale_
I don't think it has anything to do with purity. My thoughts are that is more about ego and control. Men don't like to be compared, if a woman has had more than one partner they feel insecure. The control part stems from the fact that most women have a very special place for their first sexual partner. You can draw you on conclusions on that one. :idea:

I dont particularly like being compared to old lovers either...and it is really rude to do that to a partner...aloud, anyway... and comparisons should even be kept to a minimum in the mind of someone who is willing to move forward , as a form of self-disipline and self control... what is the reason to keep the past lover in mind constantly in the new relationship?
I believe that a person needs to be basically free from past relations/relationships... before joining another person in a new union, unless it is just a one night stand where this doctrine or idea would not really matter,
Still if the former mate, has been rejected, or has rejected you, and that realtionship is truly over...what is the reason to compare the next person to them?
I have had lots of relationships, and I am happy to say that each person had something that drew me in and each relationship could rest on its own attributes and its own life and nuances...there is no need to live in the past.
If a man is really so different than woman...where this is concerned that will have to be proven to me.
A lover is not meant to be compared, but to be loved....for themselves. If someone is comparing them to the last love, that is merely a relationship problem, something to work through together.

I think that men are subliminally programmed and need to shed the programming, that women who sleep around, ( experiment sexually) are not worthy, because of stigma in the past...all men need to do is learn to step into the shoes (ouch) of woman to try to better understand her.
They have imaginations...they can see how wrong it may be, this double-standard. Again I stress: What if the roles were reversed? How would they feel?
tikay
Rising Star
Rising Star

my PersonaL add:

Post by tikay »

here is my idea of a fair personal add:

Older woman seeks virginal male...must be sexually inexperienced so that I may train, to my particular liking, and that I will not be at risk for even one sexual malady or disease.
must be willing to do whatever I ask even when you find it repulsive,as that obedience, on your part, is part of the ultimate pleasure for me. If you have had any form of sexual experience, I WILL CONSIDER YOU TAINTED, thus, in this instance please do not waste my time, I need a virgin, so do not bother to reply. I will consider your sexual wishes, once our relations are established, but I may not be expected to perform them, if I find them unappealing to my tastes. Still you will be expected to applaud my every desire.
If you meet my requirements then e-mail me at the address below to set up a meeting as soon as humanly possible:
Iamactuallyaguy@kissmail.com (not a real address!)

Ludacris? YES!
would you ever see this honesty in real life ? NO!
would a woman suggest this ? Very doubtful...(no)
do men act this way? (some men) ABSOLUTELY!
Is that insane? YES!
can you change if you are like this? Questionable without therapy. :lol:
Last edited by tikay on Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boris

Post by Boris »

I’m from Russia.
I heard terrible amount of stereotype about my country. Every day we drink vodka. Everyone cam meet a bear at the street in Moscow and many many other funny things.
tikay
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by tikay »

Oh they merely had your country mixed up with my ex-boyfriend...he drank much Vodka each day with enthusiam! :lol:
illusion
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by illusion »

Boris wrote:I’m from Russia.
I heard terrible amount of stereotype about my country. Every day we drink vodka. Everyone cam meet a bear at the street in Moscow and many many other funny things.
don't worry, that's what I hear about my my nation too. The Poles are either dunkards or thieves....
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tora »

illusion wrote:
don't worry, that's what I hear about my my nation too. The Poles are either dunkards or thieves....
nonsense! poles are cute... and open-hearted, surely... i didn't have much communication but it was enough for me to realise it!

and about russians... i don't know, bears are rare... :lol: but about vodka and drinking on the whole... i may say it's comparatively true, to my diappontment...
tikay
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by tikay »

HMMMM!
No one has anything to say about my feminist remarks...interesting! :lol:
I was at the beach with a group of women once...telling jokes...when one of them told a very offensive joke about a Polish woman on her wedding day...it was awful and made me squirm so i spoke up with my joke...I said "that is terrible... I am a Pole". Everyone got really quiet for awhile :oops: and I felt better watching her squirm. :roll: :lol: I think she apologised and I just accepted it :lol: ...that's one point for the bad tikay! I cant stand racism!!! It is ignorance personified, pure and simple.
If you are racist you should not only keep it quiet but work to change your attitudes about people. (I may even have some Pole....werent they very near the Lap people. Those are supposed to be a part of my heritage...as well as six or seven other races/clan/tribes of PEOPLE.

I welcome answers to the feminist add i made y'all!
And to this one too :) :? Where are my supporters! :cry:
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tora »

tikay wrote:HMMMM!
No one has anything to say about my feminist remarks...interesting! :lol:
I was at the beach with a group of women once...telling jokes...when one of them told a very offensive joke about a Polish woman on her wedding day...it was awful and made me squirm so i spoke up with my joke...I said "that is terrible... I am a Pole". Everyone got really quiet for awhile :oops: and I felt better watching her squirm. :roll: :lol: I think she apologised and I just accepted it :lol: ...that's one point for the bad tikay! I cant stand racism!!! It is ignorance personified, pure and simple.
If you are racist you should not only keep it quiet but work to change your attitudes about people. (I may even have some Pole....werent they very near the Lap people. Those are supposed to be a part of my heritage...as well as six or seven other races/clan/tribes of PEOPLE.

I welcome answers to the feminist add i made y'all!
And to this one too :) :? Where are my supporters! :cry:
Actually i haven't noticed it before... :oops: :roll:
now i have read! you make me laughing so many times!
I agree nothing of this kind from a lady... but who knows i'm sure there are ladies that do not need to post such inviting messages, they practise it just for fun... :lol: :lol:
and what do you suggest to change if we are like this? i can't understand :(
and going back... men think of it as they may find it sexual atractive, but making such a proposal... that's weird! ladies have common sense not to do it! :lol:
tikay
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by tikay »

Common sense...exactly...so do men have none? :lol:
So yes I am saying you should change...as soon as possible please! :lol:

maybe I lost my true calling as a dominatrix!

I meant to say that one should try to change these evil double-standards...because they do get women killed every single day...you know it happens all the time...it is evil.
Men are not on a higher rung than women but they pretend it then insist on their importance and demand us to adhere to their lies.

we are the superior, of these two choices if anyone is, but we let you play your games, because you will go mad if this game is interrupted! :lol:

thanks for answering me!
madame X
now~ get down on your knees!
tikay
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by tikay »

Better still... MAKE ME LUNCH! :lol:
illusion
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by illusion »

Tora wrote:
illusion wrote:
nonsense! poles are cute... and open-hearted, surely... i didn't have much communication but it was enough for me to realise it!

and about russians... i don't know, bears are rare... :lol: but about vodka and drinking on the whole... i may say it's comparatively true, to my diappontment...

really? I didn't know we were that cute :P
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tora »

illusion wrote:
Tora wrote:
illusion wrote: don't worry, that's what I hear about my my nation too. The Poles are either dunkards or thieves....

really? I didn't know we were that cute :P
it's a long story, i was driving (not me but the coach) and visiting places in your country and i almost fall in love with our pole driver, cute really!.. oooh... :oops: :lol:
awalee

Post by awalee »

I do not think that truth . your fingers are not same. :roll:
Alan
Teacher/Moderator
Teacher/Moderator

Post by Alan »

I'd like to put paid once and for all to this ridiculous notion that we British are polite and boring and only ever discuss the weather...ermm, if you wouldn't mind terribly, that is...I mean, if it wouldn't cause offence for me to do so, umm...well, what with all this rain we've been having...
:-)
jeffcox
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by jeffcox »

I'm British, I love sex, and I'd rather do it than talk about it!
No sex please, we're British
This is about conservatism and etiquette more than about the sex itself. The British still have an acute sense of decorum in public situations, a stereotype that is true. But stereotyping is generalization, which means there are always exceptions. Therefore, they don't accurately describe a nation and even less accurately describe a single person from that country.

I live in Brazil where things are somewhat more relaxed and I have no problems adjusting to it. Most of the time, I do things here as I would do them in England and it doesn't cause a problem except when I have to spend 2 hours in the doctor's or dentist's surgery because I arrived on time!
shadds

Post by shadds »

i think just by using such cliches.. one tries to find some mystique attached to certain community.. i know that i like the way english live.. after all we in india owe a lot to british (Brits brought first spec of technology to our countryland, brit books are liked in india,naturally so..).. The course of mechanical engineering if learned from a German engineer's perpective, it makes one apprciate the Germans..the moment one realises that these are false it simply takes the sheen out of it. This is what we call culture.. and it gotta be distinct..
Hardi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Hardi »

British tourists travel to estonia only because of sex. They don't care about culture. Tourism offices in britannia shell estonia as a country where can have good sex and cheap alcohol.. The place where to go for stag-night... It's so abusive. There was interview once in tv. with some of those tourist. Those idiots told they do good because they bring money to poor easteuropean Estonia.. Stinky fat british.. I hope they all get HIV here.
jeffcox
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by jeffcox »

I'm British and HIGHLY OFFENDED by your words.
I've never been to Estonia and I've never been involved in sex tourism.

I'm probably right in saying that the British are not the only ones involved in the toursim there; there will be other nationalities too.

I'm sure that many Estonians are involved in this disgusting activity, too. Does that make you a stinky fat Estonian?

Please direct your anger to 'those British who do this activity' and not to 'British'.

When you say 'British' you refer to all Britons, include me and you are therefore insulting me.

If you say 'those British who do this' then you are talking about those few Britons who participate in that awful activity - and that excludes me; and you're absolutely right, I totally agree.