put ideas in sb's head

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

ghqiuyun

put ideas in sb's head

Post by ghqiuyun »

hello!Would you please tell me what's is the meaning of "put ideas in sb's head"? How canweuse it ? Thank you !
byron
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: put ideas in sb's head

Post by byron »

ghqiuyun wrote:hello!Would you please tell me what's is the meaning of "put ideas in sb's head"? How canweuse it ? Thank you !
You have put an idea in my head by posing this question. The idea being how to answer your question in a way you can understand it.
Imagine you are talking to a friend and during the conversation you mention that having soft tyres on a car helps traction when driving, he then goes and lets some air out of his tyres because you have put the idea into his head.
tqth
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by tqth »

Put idea into sb's head means that you give someone expectations which are not likely to realized.
byron
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by byron »

tqth wrote:Put idea into sb's head means that you give someone expectations which are not likely to realized.
As an Englishman I assure you that such an explanation is only partially correct, the explanation I have given is more to the point. In English to "give someone expectations which are not likely to be realised" one is more likely to express this as "give someone an idea above their station"
ghqiuyun

Thanks

Post by ghqiuyun »

Thank you all!I am so grateful.Wish you happy!