Typical food in your country

This forum combines the former Food & Drink and Health & Fitness forums. Post your ideas here!

Moderator: EC

Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Typical food in your country

Post by Dixie »

I was watching this programme on TV this week about Catalonia from the point of view of immigrants living here. They talk about a different topic every week. This week's topic was food.

Some immigrants mentioned that they were at first shocked at the sight of cured ham, but when they tasted it they liked it so much they wanted more. A Chinese man, who has been living here for 9 years, said that he went to China recently and all he could think of was cured ham :lol:

In Lleida, a very typical dish is snails!! That's another thing some of the immigrants were shocked about :D

What do you guys think of the two examples I just mentioned? What did you feel in viewing the images? Did you know about this type of food?

I will give more examples later.
yarrow

cured ham is delicious!

Post by yarrow »

Hi
cured ham is very delicious! sometimes we make it in winnter.
in my city, lobster(http://www.oursci.org/news/2005/021601-2.jpg) is more loved by pepole now. ha ha!
Hardi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Hardi »

I think that cured ham is probably too salty. And snails.... I don't wanna go to dinner with you. yuck!
FIVER
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by FIVER »

I think I've tried cured ham before. It was tough and yes, too salty for me. Snails? Um... I don't like to eat whole animals that I can imagine walking (or crawling) off my plate :? . That goes for the lobsters too. Now, if they were diced up or chopped into little somethings then mixed into veggies, maybe I wouldn't mind trying it. :wink:

BTW, nice topic!
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Hardi wrote:I think that cured ham is probably too salty. And snails.... I don't wanna go to dinner with you. yuck!
Don't worry Hardi, I'm not fond of snails either. Personally I find it very, very gross. :lol:
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Another feature that some people commented on on the TV programme was about our eating habits. According to some of them, we eat too much in Catalunya: we have breakfast, lunch and dinner. In this case, they were referring to lunch. We usually have 3 dishes for lunch:

* A first dish, e.g. a salad, pasta, soup, rice, etc.
* A second dish consisting on fish or meat
*A third dish which is usually dessert.

How about lunch in other countries? How many dishes do you have?
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

I love snails. :oops: We have so many different kinds in Vietnam, and they make them into many different ways. If I came back for a visit and did not have at least one dish of snails, I would not leave Vietnam :twisted: .
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

FIVER wrote: That goes for the lobsters too.
Ooooh, please go to dinner with me, then. I'll help you eating the lobster. :twisted:
essie
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by essie »

I had cured ham in a pasta dish once. I liked it..

Tried snails and never again... :oops:
FIVER
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by FIVER »

LennyeTran wrote: Ooooh, please go to dinner with me, then. I'll help you eating the lobster. :twisted:
I have absolutely no problem with this. :D :wink:
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

It's a date, then. Redlobster, you and me, 8pm, wait for me at the door, I have coupons for two. :lol:
FIVER
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by FIVER »

LennyeTran wrote:It's a date, then. Redlobster, you and me, 8pm, wait for me at the door, I have coupons for two. :lol:
I've never been there, but big surprise there huh? LOL! I guess I'll have to resort to eating shrimp something. Shrimp is the only seafood I'll eat. :cry:
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

I've never been there, too. But seeing all the commercial on TV, I think they have steak there also. Smashed potato, corn, steak for... Man, I can't remember the price now. You like steak, don't you?

I see a lot of people go there for dinner. It seems like a a typical American dinner to me.
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

FIVER wrote:[
I've never been there, but big surprise there huh? LOL! I guess I'll have to resort to eating shrimp something. Shrimp is the only seafood I'll eat. :cry:
You'd be in paradise if you came to my town, baby 8) Shrimp is the most typical and beloved food here :D

I don't like it though.
FIVER
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by FIVER »

LennyeTran wrote: You like steak, don't you?
Um for the most part I don't like steak either. IF that was the only thing available then I would but eating the side dishes would be good enough for me.
FIVER
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by FIVER »

Dixie wrote:
You'd be in paradise if you came to my town, baby 8) Shrimp is the most typical and beloved food here :D

I don't like it though.
I think eating in a foreign country makes the food taste better (except if it's lobster). :wink:
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

You're no fan of all-you-can-eat buffets then?
FIVER
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by FIVER »

I love buffets! But these ones in WA that I've been too :roll: - the food's kinda dry. That's why I'm not sure at this point. But somewhere like Red Lobster their food must be excellent!
Maricela

Re: Typical food in your country

Post by Maricela »

Hello people... :lol: :lol:
in my country the typical food is a breakfast called "Gallo Pinto" is delicious and nutritious your ingredients are: rice, beans, sweet pepper, onion, cilantro.
Besides, you add whatever you like for example eggs, cheese, ham
I invite you to come to Costa Rica and enjoy it
Maricela

Post by Maricela »

Dixie wrote:I was watching this programme on TV this week about Catalonia from the point of view of immigrants living here. They talk about a different topic every week. This week's topic was food.

Some immigrants mentioned that they were at first shocked at the sight of cured ham, but when they tasted it they liked it so much they wanted more. A Chinese man, who has been living here for 9 years, said that he went to China recently and all he could think of was cured ham :lol:

In Lleida, a very typical dish is snails!! That's another thing some of the immigrants were shocked about :D

What do you guys think of the two examples I just mentioned? What did you feel in viewing the images? Did you know about this type of food?

Hello ...
In my case I do not like all those foods, well dont know nothing of this food, but I think it's interesting to see more of theme
ozorkowy

Post by ozorkowy »

In my country common food are:
- pierogies (dumplings with filling);
- bigos (a sauerkraut stew);
- kiełbasa
- żurek (rye flour soup);
- kotlety schabowe (pork chops);
- śledzie (herrings)
- wódka
Siddhartha

Post by Siddhartha »

Breakfast: bean and chorizo tacos or potato and egg tacos.

Lunch: enchiladas with rice and beans

Dinner: BBQ with mashed potatoes and potato salad
Krisi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Krisi »

Dixie wrote: In Lleida, a very typical dish is snails!! That's another thing some of the immigrants were shocked about :D

Dixie,

Too bad I can't view the image of the snail food. I've learned that there is a snail celebration in Lleida every May. I'm just curious, could you tell me more about that.

Thanks.
esl member since 2007
Sunnypk
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Sunnypk »

Really much interesting to listen various countries typical food

I think there will be no any stunning thing to never listen before it

Breakfast : Bread,Wheat bread, Butter, jam jelly, Egg, patatos

Lunch: Wheat Bread, Chicken. Meat and Various vegetables

Dinner: Rice. Curt, Pizza, Vegetables, Pulses, and maybe more
As you sew, so shall you reap
emilyzheng

Re:

Post by emilyzheng »

Dixie wrote:Another feature that some people commented on on the TV programme was about our eating habits. According to some of them, we eat too much in Catalunya: we have breakfast, lunch and dinner. In this case, they were referring to lunch. We usually have 3 dishes for lunch:

* A first dish, e.g. a salad, pasta, soup, rice, etc.
* A second dish consisting on fish or meat
*A third dish which is usually dessert.

How about lunch in other countries? How many dishes do you have?

in china, we usually eat green vegetable and need soup at each dinner, some of us have some pork or fish, if they want to bant, they can only have dinner without and pork.
jairotico

Typical food in your country...Costa Rica!!!

Post by jairotico »

hey every1!!! im from Costa Rica...i would like to talk about our tradicional food,,,every single place in Costa Rica has a diferent kind of typical dishes,,for example in the east side of our contry there a place called LIMON and it has a number of interesting dishes there's one called "rice and beans" and its made of rice and beans mixed with coconut...they have something called PATI its made of meat and chilli and is like a " tortilla" ...i would like to know if is the same situation in your country that u have diferent kind of food in the diferent places of your country!!!!thanxs :D